Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Learning to Cry - Act II (Competition)

Force Master Hunter

Re : Learning to Cry - Act II

Two days past. Dark Munn, the Bounty Hunter often known as Hunter, at least at this time finished his preparations. He was expecting a full reception committee at the place the package was being dropped off and hence was going there fully prepared. Unlike usual, he had taken out the body armour, complete with a half face visor-helmet, metal lined guantletts, weapons harness and his full compliment of guns, knives and grenade, plus a full sized sword that he had obtained not long ago. A thoroughly beautiful weapon, he had found out it was a legendary Jedi sword, built to the specifications that were used the years before lightsabres were invented. Rumoured to have the blaster deflecting abilities of a sabre, even able to resist a sabre, it was a impossibly hard blade that had an edge that could cut stone and steel in one swipe. It was light and sung through the air, seeming to have a life of it’s own. In some ways it did – if the stories could be believed, a Force Sword was forged and then imbibed with the Force by the most learned Jedi / Sith of all. The ways to this were long lost or so thought.

Hunter knew one Jedi had uncovered the secrets not a year ago, something he was sure the Jedi and Sith would kill to know, with the hilt being 4000 years old, but the blade barely 6 months old. Hunter had never used this incredible weapon before, but in his past, his weapons training had included sword fighting, thence the blade felt at home in his hands. He had created a leather sheaf that tied to his back, the sword too long to be holstered on the hip and it sat well behind his shoulders, out of the way until he needed it.

Glancing at the array of hardware at his disposal, his mind cast over what he would need… and the more the thought about it, the more he realised what he really needed. It was not the Uz’is, the shot gun, the subbies, or the blasters. Neither the .50 caliber hand guns, the neuro darts or the thermal detonators. The vibro knives could be halved in number….

In the end, on his chest was the clips for the rail guns, plus both of the precious guns sitting in hip holsters. Semi carbine in size, both were bulky but with their firepower and rate of fire, made even the best blasters look petty. Plus, a pellet fired from the electro magnetics would pass 2500 m/s muzzle velocity and hence be damn near unblockable, if anyone could move that fast. Not even a Jedi Master could if fired within 200 meters. Point blank, it was a sure kill, even discounting the explosive tips most clips had. He tied the sheaf with the sword on his back, placed a vibro knife in a boot sheaf and then flung a trench coat over the lot.

He looked at himself in the mirror. With the helmet off and the sunglasses on, he cast a mysterious and yet handsome figure. He sighed as he turned, the illusion breaking as he did. Who was he kidding? He might have physical charm, but his demeanor was as cold as ice. He was hateful and revenge driven or so he liked to imagine, but this whole episode was bringing out sides to Hunter he wished he never had. He turned back to the mirror, this time taking the glasses off to regard his face and his eyes. They said the eyes were a window to the soul and these windows revealed ancient pain, wounds that never healed… and a heart of compassion and honesty. He shook his head and sighed. Two things that seemed to get him into more trouble than anything combined. Like now. Why had he not just ignored that tapping in his mind that nagged him how wrong this all was? Maybe he would be already enjoying his gains on some pleasure planet.

And hating every moment of it.

No, if he couldn’t look at himself in the mirror, he was nothing. And yet again, he had past that test. He smiled bitterly, placed the sunglasses on, turned and climbed out the window to the fire escape, into a cold and rainy night.

Perfect.

The Hunter was in his element and this night, this night of nights was truly his.

Elieen Cross

If Hunter only knew how close Eileen was…. She had stared incredulous as she saw a black clad figure climb out the fire escape of the roach motel opposite the dive she was staying and even more disturbed when she recognised the figure through the rain and the dark as he drew closer and then away. She reopened the heavy curtain to watch the departing man, then allowed the fabric to drop back in place. What were the chances of that, the man who had forced her into this situation where she seemed to be on the run from everyone, was only in the building opposite and had no idea she was here? Well, a minute ago she had no idea either.

Given this assassin was interesting in wiping her out, that would logically mean that he would know about the package arriving in two hours, how she had no idea. None of this was making any sense anyway.

Yes it is. You just don’t want it to, do you? You are just trying to hide from the past, aren’t you

She screamed at the voice in her head to shut up and for once it did. Damn it, more because that insistant voice was correct. She liked being Eileen, she liked the boredom and the fact no one shot at a datapusher. She liked having an alien for a best friend and to have a pet. Up to now, no-one wanted Eileen dead. Before she went to ground, every one and his bantha had a blaster pointed in her direction. She had gotten so set, she had forced herself to forget it all.

But now….

Now it was back. All of it. She knew who she was and she knew why. Tonight was one of the reasons she had to go under cover in the first place. Now… she was to surface again. On the bed behind were the weapons of her real trade. A DL-44 blaster, plus an effective holdout blaster. Good solid boots and a loose fitting jumpsuit that allowed full movement. And in prime position….

She picked it up. 1.5 meters of steel, pommel at one end carrying the power pack, the other pointed. Near the pommel were the controls, one for range, the other for fire level. Burnished and glittering in the light, it was a weapon that bought fear to the plebs and had served Eileen well in the past. She gave it a experimental swing, feeling the familiar weight in her hand and with a snap, she whipped the device outwards, the point stopping with perfect control just a centimetre from the glowpanel. With a second flick of the wrist, it was tossed on the bed.

Time to be ready.

A few minutes later, the window sparked and arced as Eileen used the weapon to cut the window out totally and fall away in the rubbish below. Still holding the Force Pike, she peeked out into the alley, then leaped out in into the darkness, with the smoldering curtains hissing as the rain spat into the now abandoned room.

Venom

Venom examined the barely sealed wounds on his chest. “Tell me, what did you have to do?”

The Gronk droid paused before answering. “The trauma caused by the projectiles, combined with shards of plastisteel shattered most ribs on your right side and destroyed the lung. You had no chance of survival without artificial replacement”

“You must have done your job well. I feel pain and some discomfort, but I am able to breathe and most muscular function seems intact. For such rapid work, you will be rewarded”

“Money will do nicely, Master. My counterpart and I have no interest in other rewards you may be able to supply.”

Venom grinned. “Very well droid. My allies will pay you in moment what we believe this has been worth. Is Lord Fire Blade still suffering?”

“Alas my Lord, no longer. The brain died and we could do no more to keep that alive”

“No matter, you did well to keep that scum in the maximum pain. Fore Blade was a traitor and traitors deserve all they can get”. As he spoke, the huge human began to put on clothes, mainly dark red in colour. He also began to speak to the Vog’on at his side in the beast’s own language. “Have we hired enough men?”

“Yes my Lord, although my brothers still think we would be best to handle the job”

“Which you are, which is why I am going to keep 2 groups of Named in reserve and allow Unnamed to die in disgrace if there is any tricks. I fully expect this Hunter to be there and I expect Eileen Cross to be there too. Cross, I doubt will be more than a minor inconvenience, but Hunter has already proven himself to be a major pest, thence we will prepare accordingly. The mercenaries will take the brunt of any traps, the UnNamed will have a chance to be to win honour. If that fails, you are there and by then I would expect the paths should be clear and no loss of Named will occur. Now. Let us go as the shuttle with what we want is arriving soon” Venom swept outside, picking up his belt and Force Pike as he did and Fregge the Vog’on wordlessly handed TDK-60M a credit chit. TDK read it as the beast likewise exited and then placed the chit in a datapad.

“How much TDK?” asked Gronk

TDK told him and there followed silence. With a 5 and that many zeros after it, there really wasn’t anything that could be said.

A Nameless New Republic Tech

A flash of lightning lit up the field as the shuttle left the private landing pad and a speeder took the large and bulky container slowly down the access ramp and then onto on of the large avenues of Coruscant. It moved towards an underpass and was stopped by a group of men, dressed in New Republic uniforms. The driver initially protested but he was convinced to abandon the vehicle when a large bore blaster was shoved into her chest. The area was badly lit and hid the fact there was someone watching close by

Force Master Hunter

It had been no problem following the speeder. Hunter had decided to follow the cargo at a distance to see what would be attracted to it and hence wasn’t surprise when the hijack happened a kilometre short of the correct destination. What did surprise him was the fact the hijack was done with humans and not Venom’s pets. No matter. If the Vog’on turned up, that would be fine. For now, he had targets and intended to bring them down. He tapped a message into a datapad, sent it and placed the datapad to one side. Drawing one of the rail guns, he sighted around the corner of the pillar he was behind, aimed at the person now climbing up into the speeder’s cabin, set the power of the electro magnetics for silent and fired.

The bullet was shot at below sonic velocity, thence to only sound was a pfft and a thin whistle as the projectile tore air and hitting the fake NR tech in the chest and detonating. Before the startled guards could act, another silent death fled it’s way to another target, blowing the shoulder off a hapless human.

“We’re under fire! Cover!” The mercenaries reacted fast, denying Hunter another clean shot. He fired again, this time at the engine of the speeder. He must got something important as it sparked and flared, detonating a rotor assembly onto the street. The repulsor lifts failed, slamming the speeder onto the ground. Hunter winced. Bit more than what he wanted, he hoped the cargo hadn’t been harmed, else all this was for nothing.

Elieen Cross

Eileen had earlier knocked out the speeder pilot and had taken the cargo drop disguised. Now, she was being forced out of the cabin at gunpoint, much like she had barely an hour ago to the real driver. Unlike him, she fully expected this.

But even she was startled as the outlaw that had taken her place suddenly flowered into a red splot. Another merc lost an arm and then the speeder motor broke apart. The outlaws all were scattering and taking cover, while she pulled out her own blaster and skidded to the leeward side of the cockpit, suddenly ignored. She winced as a loud crack and boom sounded out over the sporatic blaster fire and another human wail in agony. She had no idea who these abortive hijackers were, but there was no doubt who was the one now causing the mass confusion. Looked like she would be getting a visit from that Bounty Hunter again.

Venom

Venom put down the marcobinoculars slowly hardly daring to believe what was currently going on. The scripted trap had gone completely awry, sprung too early and with everyone out of position.

“@#%$”. And with the sounds booming out, that was becoming an understatement as the situation spun even more out of control. “Move the UnNamed in. Now, before this gets worse”

Force Master Hunter

Hunter drew the second rail gun as concentrated blaster fire ate into the pillar he was covering behind. He whipped the first rail gun around the corner and emptied the clip blind, the 15 shot burst rocking the area as each projectile detonated as it impacted on something. He released the empty clip, slamming another one home. Now with both guns fully loaded, he dropped and rolled, blaster fire heating the air above him. Setting for single fire, he fired 12 times, then rolled to his feet and ran, firing as he went. A completely stupid move and one that worked. He was unpinned and now free to advance, blasting anything in his path or anything that even looked hostile. A merc stepped from behind a pillar, to have a snap shot fling the suddenly lifeless body backwards. Hunter ran straight for the speeder, dived and gained some cover behind the cargo bay. Another few shots and the mercs seemed to lose interest for the moment. Good. He could now figure out the lock on this thing and get the hell out of here before the mercs regained courage or reinforcements arrived.

First things first…. Reload. He ejected the clips and was about to take out another two when he heard a footstep around the corner of the cargo. Slowly he raised the gun in his left hand and waited.

A figure in light blue emerged, woman. As Hunter took aim with the empty gun, Hunter nearly choked. Eileen Cross?!?!

“Hello @#%$. You appear to be empty”

“Really? And what makes you say that?”

Eileen gave Hunter a dirty look. “Don’t try that one with me buddy. I heard you eject your clips” She raised the blaster. “Got you cold it seems”

Hunter stared and then he noted something. “You have the safety on.”

“Suuurrrreeeeee. Your empty. Put the guns down and get the hell out of here meat head”

Hunter gave Eileen a look that could melt hull steel. He glared at her and then twisted slightly, firing the bullet that had been chambered all along and hitting the merc who had been trying to sneak up on Eileen. The projectile exploded leaving nothing to her than boots. She didn’t even turn to look, but instead calmly shot another merc dead between the eyes.

“Now your empty. Still believe I have the safety on?”

Hunter sized Eileen up. She didn’t know he had more weapons than just guns…

A blaze of blaster fire erupted and force both Eileen and Hunter to dart to the other side of the cargo. Eileen’s mouth was hard and thin as she returned fire. Hunter reloaded.

“Okay buster, whose side are you on?” snapped Eileen.

“Pardon?” replied Hunter as he too returned fire.

“Well, your not on their side and you seemed to like trying….. to shoot at me! What’s your game here?” She expertly tagged another merc with a shot to the chest.

“Me? I’m only interested in the package!”

“Package?!?!”

“Yes!”

Eileen ducked behind cover to regard Hunter with suspicion. “You don’t mean…” She dint finish. Hunter’s reaction was enough.

Hunter also ducked and stared back. “You know?!?”

“I was the one who set the release codes on this damn box so if your genuine, I’ll pass over the fact you made two good goes at shooting me. You help me get the package away and never try anything this dumb again and were even, got it?”

Hunter could only nod and then fired as a merc came around the corner. “We’ll discuss this later!”

“No later. My terms or nothing”

Hunter let rip another burst and cursed as the chamber clicked empty. He had two clips left and the party was only just warming up. He scanned the area from where the firing was coming from and in the smoke he saw some shadowy figures he didn’t like the look of. He reloaded then holstered the guns. Eileen gave him a querying look, which turned to surprise as Hunter drew the sword.

“Your kidding, right?” Eileen exclaimed

“No”

“I think you…. Misunderstood me. That sword… it’s not what I think it is?”

“Probably more. You have a deal. I’ll go deal with this mob, you get away”

“Good luck then”. Eileen began to rapid fire, scattering the area with blaster bolts as Hunter used the distraction to run from around the cargo bay, charging with the sword in one hand. A blaster bolt screamed towards him. The blade flashed and the bolt was deflected straight back the way it came. Moving, ducking, weaving, deflecting, he advanced, always towards the grey figures he could see approaching. One of them rushed forward, to be cleanly cut in half in a flash. Hunter continued to move, never staying in one place, always with some cover, but never long enough to be pinned down. Another Vog’on came at him, dispatched as fast as the first.

Elieen Cross

Eileen waited for the Bounty Hunter to get clear before turning her attention to the locks of the cargo carrier. Her fingers sped over the codes and the lock light clicked over to clear. She pushed the door manually open, and paused. Internally, the room inside was dark, though Eileen knew what was to be expected. There would be a refresher partition and a sleeping area. She could hear heavy breathing and also could also almost smell the fear.

“Are you my mommy?” The tiny voice was only a whisper, reflecting the fear the child must be feeling.

“No darling, I’m not. I have to take you away from here, bad men are coming” Eileen wasn’t exactly practiced in trying to give comfort, she just hoped it would work.

“Bad men that Mr Hunter keeps away from me?”

That bought out a startled laugh. She could ask about that later, but that could mean the Bounty Hunter had saved the child before and won the trust of the child. “Yes Jina, bad men who Mr Hunter kept away from you now. Mr Hunter’s doing that now”

A small shuffle and into the light came a small girl, blazing red hair and a face smudged from crying. In her hand she dragged a blanket. Eileen didn’t wait any longer, she bundled up the girl and picked her up. In her mind, she cursed Lady Mara Jade for ever having the girl, Jina Jade in the first place.

“Going some place?”

The voice spun her around and Jina gave out a startled cry. At the entrance of the cargo pod, were circled 4 huge grey beasts and one extraordinarily tall and bulky human, who Eileen knew would have to be the Dark Jedi Venom. Mentally, she cursed that she ever heard of that name of Jina Jade.

Force Master Hunter

Hunter himself was getting into a bind. The mercs had given way to Vog’on and some of the beasts were proving hard to handle. Sometimes a bit too hard, as evidenced by the bite on his arm that had rent the armour and a kick in the gut that still made Hunter short of breath. Fact was, he was beginning to feel the beasts were beginning to stalk him, getting ready for the final rush that would lead to his death. If only…

He fought the desire to grin as he felt a new group of people arrive. And if he was right…

“NEW REPUBLIC SPECIAL FORCES! SURRENDER AT ONCE OR BE KILLED!”

… He was right. The cavalry had come. The fight turned into a mass brawl as the Vog’on attacked, the NRSF, a squad of elite soldiers countered. A man, dressed in the uniform of an officer saw Hunter and jogged over as Hunter, now being ignored, caught his breath.

“Hey Skip! We came as soon as we got your transmission. Bearing up?”

“Damn you Nathan, typical of you to cut to the last moment. Your guys up to handling this lot?”

The big soldier grinned. “Oh I think so. Feel like joining the party again? The boys would welcome an ex-comrade in arms like you alongside”

“Sorry mate, I have to leave you to it. I’m chasing bigger game”

The key word of game made Nathan’s eyebrow lift. “Who?”

“Venom”

“HHHHOOOOweeeee! Good luck Skip. I better get back to whupping these bug’s butts.” Hunter nodded, saluted and ran off towards the speeder, where he suddenly picked up a worrying surge of emotion. He ran.

Nathan West watched Hunter depart and then turn back to his 2IC, who spoke first

“Was that who I thought it was? Skippy Vatenen? Did he call for the heavy action?”

“Yep, sure was. Lets give an ex NRSF what he wants”

“Major kick arse?”

“You got it. Now lets get these pests exterminated”

Elieen Cross

Eileen stared in fury as she stepped carefully out of the confines of the cargo bay, with Jina clinging tightly to her.

“Yes I was going somewhere. Now get out of my way fucknut”

“Really? It seems that the only place your going is an early grave. Now hand me over the girl and I might let you live”

“No”

Venom’s voice conveyed a sense of amusement. “Really? And you intend to stop me?”

“Go back in the room baby and hide . Mr Hunter will be coming soon” said Eileen quietly into Jina ear. The little girl was let down and she stumbled backwards like a malfunctioning droid. Eileen’s eyes never left the place where Venom’s would be in the folds of his cloak. She stepped into a fighting stance and gave Venom a rude gesture. “Come try me”

The Dark Jedi’s manner radiated humour as he waved for the Vog’on to step back, like this was going to be some sort of sport. With the speed born from the Force, he stepped forward and used his size and power to crash a backhand swipe onto Eileen’s temple. She staggered, but kept standing. “ Silly girl. Do you think someone like you could stop me?” He stepped again and smashed another blow, sending Eileen thudding into the cargo box, to bounce and fall roughly. Venom aimed a kick at her guts that lifted her off the ground, slamming her back into the box. He moved forward as she struggled to get up, backhanding her back to the ground on the back of the head. “Pitiful. Pathetic. You think you can stand against someone like me?” He laughed and stepped on her as he went to grab Jina from the box.

Eileen felt the pain. She felt the anger. She felt her whole world dissove. She felt her true self surface. Her eyes turned to orbs of fire as she spat blood. “Get away from her you prick!” she snarled.

“Oh?” questioned Venom turning. “And you can do anything about it?”

Eileen’s hand reached behind her back and she slowly tugged the polearm from behind her back. She used it help stand, feeling it’s cold steel giving her focus and she touched the Force once again. The pain began to recede as it’s power flooded her and she allowed the ancient energy to fill her. A Vog’on tried to rush her, but she pivoted and slammed the Force Pike’s pommel into it’s chin, belting the beast into stupor. She turned and faced Venom, who from the sense of the Force was suddenly not so self assured.

He seemed to speak, but before he did, a black figure jumped off the top of the top of the cargo box and into the mdist of the Vog’on.

“Stay where you are Jina!” yelled Hunter.

Eileen looked at Hunter engaging the beasts before turning her attention back to Venom. He was also slowly drawing his Force Pike and stepping forward. He extended the polearm, Eileen taking guard with the tip of her weapon touching his. They stared off for a moment before Venom attacked. He swung low, with Eileen blocking and stepping back. He attacked again, she defended, this time low. The Dark Jedi began to generate a rhythm, swing high and low, using the Pike much like a sabre, Eileen responding likewise. He began to use his greater reach and strength, driving the smaller human backwards as she struggled to defend. He grew confident and mis-stepped, and error so small no normal human could detect it. Eileen did, stepping into a blow, spinning and then smashing Venom across the face. She danced away as Venom rebalanced. They began to circle, feinting and probing for openings to their respective defences. Eileen stepped left, drawing Venom over and then struck right, hammering the Dark Jedi with a huge blow to the ribs. He grunted, before replying with a counterblow that swept the legs from under his opponent. She rolled away as Venom’s weapon gouged the ferrocrete.

She gained her feet, staring at the Dark Jedi as she did so. “Your getting slow Venom. Sure you up to kidnapping a little girl?”

He growled and attacked in the one movement. This time Eileen held her ground and parried.

Force Master Hunter

Hunter made short work of the Vog’on, the blade flashing and leaping as he did, not one of the beasts able to even get close enough to counter. He watched the last one fall, allowed his mind to relax. He turned as he heard a small footstep from the cargo box.

“Mr Hunter?”

He smiled at Jina. “Hey honey. You okay?”

For the first time of this terrible ordeal, Jina also smiled, shyly. “Yes Mr Hunter. Your all messy”

Hunter grunted. Yeah, with cloak rent and armour busted and a few bruises, he needed a good bath.

“Is bad men gone?”

He looked at where Venom and Eileen were battling in a frenzy, polearms flashing as light touched them. Hunter could hardly believe anyone would go toe to toe with that behemoth – still, there could only be one outcome to that fight. He picked up the little girl, shifting the sword and aloowing his favoured arm to be free, drawing one of the rail guns and sighting down the barrel. “Turn away Jina. Bad man about to be gone.”

He never got the chance to pull the trigger.

Venom

Eileen was losing and she knew it. Venom’s strength was too much and she could feel the constant blows taking their toll. Venom himself sensed her wilting, fired in one hard swing, reversed, swung even harder and building momentum, swung again. It was almost a flashback to a planet with no name, to another female opponent. The Force pike in Eileen’s hand snapped, both pieces flying away. Venom lunged, smashing Eileen to the side of the head and then lifting the Pike for the stabbing death blow, swung for the back of her head. Just like Lady Mara Jade not so long ago..

Venom

Venom’s stroke hit nothing but air.

Elieen Cross

She had already was moving despite the dizziness and the nausea. Deep set training waned her the blow was coming and she twisted left, the tip of the Force Pike passing her chest by a bare inch. A hand reached out and grabbed the pike, muscles tensed as she used the handhold to spring forward, firing a palm heel strike to the Dark Jedi’s abdomen. The strike itself was ineffective, but on her wrist a spring loaded knife sheaf activated, the blade of a vibroknife punched it’s way through armour, muscles into the delicate internal organs. With a flourish, Eileen ripped the knife downwards, the blade cutting everything in it’s path. Venom staggered back.

“Who… who… the ….helll… are…?”

“My name is Lord Fire Blade and this is my revenge!”

She stepped forward and slammed the blade straight into Venom’s heart.

Force Master Hunter

“What the …?”

Hunter had seen it, but his brain refused to believe it. Venom tripped and fell backwards like a tree falling, crashing backwards without further sound, with the hilt of the knife still marking the spot where the fatal blade had done it’s work. He allowed Jina to stand by herself and slowly walked over to where the woman was, gasping for air and kneeling beside her conquered foe. He still had the sword in one hand and the gun in the other as he stood over them both. He paused, then with the blade of the sword, pushed back the hood Venom wore. The dead Dark Jedi had a visor plate on, which Hunter bent down and removed. He was curious what this hidden fiend looked like.

“Charming, aint it?”

Hunter barely heard Eileen’s words as he looked at the face of Venom, revealed for the first time. It was a accident. Or a mistake, surely. Hunter had already killed this person not long ago. How in the name in the Force could this be? He turned to face Eileen. “I’m not seeing things, right?”

“No, your not. Now come on and get Jina out of here, more of Venom’s pets are coming and I don’t think they will appreciate their boss being dead”

He nodded, taking one last look at Venom’s face, reholstering the gun and then running back to Jina, picking her up and then bolting after Eileen. Even as he peapt off a ledge and hit the ground running, his mind was only just catching up with what he had seen.

Jedi Master Darth Turbogeek died in hut on a secluded planet, bullet to the head from Hunter.

The same face, younger and bigger, dead on the rain splattered concrete of Coruscant.

The sense of something bigger than he was, something way out of his control, the same sense he had gotten when he had encounter Jina Jade for the first time. Jedi and Sith with the same face? A Daughter of a famed Sith/Jedi? A woman who had turned out to be one of the deadliest fighters seen? The Vog’on? Just what the hell was going on?

He would be asking the woman he was following for some answers when they got clear.

Gronk Droid

Dawn and a knock on a door

A moment later, Gronk Droid looked at the patient on the table. Difficult. But only the best for the best payers

Force Master Hunter

The sun came up on the planet that Hunter had been to before, one with only a number and not a name. The wreckage of a recent battle was still visible, but not far away was a stream and some fresh grass, which he lay on. God, he hurt. But at least he was alive and for the first time in weeks relaxed. The sword was sheafed and lay by his side. The ever present rail guns were holstered and he was resting his head on a rock, using the remains of his cloak for a pillow. Jina Jade was nearby running and playing in the flowers, where small insects took flight to the sounds of her clear girlish giggles. He peered thought one eye at the little girl, watching her play.

“Quite a handful, isn’t she?”

Hunter, still looking at Jina nodded. “Yep. Rather changed the way my life was going I have to say.”

“No regrets?”

He glanced back at where Eileen Cross sat. “Plenty. If I had known how this Job would have end up, I would have told Venom to go ram his credits up his arse. Still…. “

“Yes?”

“Nothing. Tell me something. I blew Lord Fire Blade into pieces and handed thie bits to two droids. How can you be Lord Fire Blade?”

Eileen paused before answering. “Lord Fire Blade was my grandfather. My father inherited the title and when he died, I took the title for my own. I couldn’t grab Jina from the place she was hidden on Coruscant because … of other matters, so Grandfather wore the armour of the Imperial Guard once again. You got the right man when you nailed him”

“No hard feelings?”

“Nope. He was a prick anyway and besides, he was 92 and had a terminal disease. Going out in a fight would have been the way he would have wanted”

“92?!?!”

Eileen looked at Hunter. “Yes. He after all served the Emperor himself. And trained me too”

Oh great, I popped a geriatric, thought Hunter. Yet, he had killed the real Lord Fire Blade…. Which lead to another question. “Okay, but tell me something. You didn’t seem surprised Venom looked like that Jedi Master Turbogeek”

“Course not. Venom was a clone taken from Geek boy about 10 years ago. He was genitally mutated to be the size he was and then trained by Callista, just in case Turbogeek ever proved to be unsuitable for what he was to do”

A clone. Made by Callista? “Who’s this Callista?”

“Mad bitch. Trained Turbogeek as a Sith to take over the Galaxy, except he turned Jedi and did her a great deal of damage. I’ve been fighting my own private war with her for the last 8 years”

“That don’t explain jack to me. What does she have to do with Jina?”

“Nothing. I’ll just give you a word of advice Bounty Hunter. Don’t get involved further. Walk away, take Jina and go bury yourself in a hole and let the Galaxy pass you by. Your responsible for Jade now, consider that to be your punishment for trying to cap me. Got it?”

Hunter heard the flat finality in her voice and decided not to push it. “I’m not a Bounty Hunter. I was posing as one for cover”

“For cover?”

Hunter gave Eileen a flat, hard look. “None of your business”

Eileen snorted. “That makes sense. Your too idealistic to make a good scumbag. What’s your real name?”

“Skippy Vatenen, New republic Special Forces, Corporal when I choose to be”

“NRSF? And you did in Tohmahawk? Oh I bet you’ll be real popular with them.”

Hunter chose not to answer, silently watching Jade. He only broke his gaze as he heard Eileen get up.

”Well Vatenen, it’s been a pleasure. Good luck for the future and take my advice, okay?”

He stood up to accept the proffered hand, shaking it. “You too”

She walked away without anther word, going to the shuttle they had taken from Coruscant. A few moments later, the repulsor lifts fired up and the shuttle blasted for the sky.

Hunter watched until the shuttle exited from sight, then turned his head.

“Jina!”

She came running, a stream of red hair and a bundle of energy “Yes Mr. Hunter?”

“Just Skip Jina. Looks like I’m looking after you now. Where do you want to go?”

“Can I talk to mummy?”

Oh dear. “I’m sorry darling. No one can anymore”

“But I can see her. She’s standing next to that tree and she looks sad but she’s smiling at me”

Hunter looked and to his astonishment, he saw the shimmering image of a beautiful woman, dressed in glowing gold with the same flaming red hair as Jina. The vision turned to him and he heard it’s voice

“Thank you. I knew you would do it”

He saw a single tear on the woman’s face, her eyes lit with a fierce joy as she turned to look at Jina

And then she vanished.

“Isn’t mummy beautiful? She said she would always watch over me! She said you would too!”

I guess I will, thought Hunter, that I most certainly will, whatever came in the days, weeks and years ahead. He picked up the sword, then took Jina by the hand. “Come on. I know a good place where we can live for a while”

The both walked off, the tall figure of the Hunter and the smaller one of the child as the sun kept rising on what was becoming a truly beautiful day.

A Nameless New Republic Tech

A bolt of lightning blazed through the sky and a cloaked figure was outlined, standing next to the swollen banks of a creek as the rain crashed down, splattering mud onto her boots and dripping from her clothing. She unwrapped the parcel she was carrying and then placed down one long stemmed rose.. She watched the roses drift away before walking away as the rain pelted down. For the cloaked figure, there was much to be concerned of. But for now…. For now she realised her dreams had been answered and the desperate hope in her heart had been confirmed, he was alive. Her desperate tears and the years of pain could possibly be now over. Soon, she would find him again, when the time was right and then the final battle would have to begin. There was no certainty of victory but that was for the future.

For her now, she had found the one she had loved long ago. For her, the time of mourning was over.

Perhaps now she could forget that she ever had the need to learn to cry in the first place.

The End.

?

Far away, a hand curled. Eyes saw. A mind functioned again.

He stared at the ceiling.

No, it wasnt over, not now

Not by a long shot.

---/-\-@ @-/-\-----

“For tears are but the gems of a heart hurt in ways in can no longer cope with”

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123