Thread: NFL Pick 'em 2012 Week 19 - Divisional Round

Sports NFL Pick 'em 2012 Week 19 - Divisional Round

The best defensive player of this generation faces the best offensive player of this generation for the last time.

Two of the NFL's old guard meet in classic rematch of epic NFC playoff tilts from two decades ago.

A team of fiery underdogs travels across the country to face the kings of the NFC hill.

And, um... the Texans play the Patriots, I guess? They kinda got whomped the last time. Revenge, maybe? But probably more whomping.

Anyway, it's the Divisional Playoff Round! Put in your picks!

Saturday, Jan 12
    BAL @ DEN
    GB @ SF

Sunday, Jan 13
    SEA @ ATL
    HOU @ NE

Kyran O'Hurn
    Saturday, Jan 12
    BAL @ DEN (W)
    GB @ SF (W)

Sunday, Jan 13
    SEA @ ATL (W)
    HOU @ NE (W)

The NE game is the only one I'm not sure about. Well the GB/SF game could probably go either way, but have to pick my team.

I believe this belongs here:

He's frightening those poor children behind the easy chair!

Saturday, Jan 12
    BAL @ DEN WIN
    GB @ SF WIN

Sunday, Jan 13
    SEA @ ATL WIN
    HOU @ NE WIN

I'm not entirely conviced that SF will beat GB--they were pretty erratic and disappointing during their last 2 or 3 games--but I'm going to keep my fingers crossed.

SW-Fans.Net Poster

Member of the Arbitrary Apostrophe Club
    Mmmmmm, DELICIOUS
    Has been a member for 5 years or longer

Saturday, Jan 12
    BAL @ DEN (W)
    (W) GB @ SF

Sunday, Jan 13
    SEA @ ATL (W)
    HOU @ NE (W)

Saturday, Jan 12
    BAL @ DEN WIN
    GB WIN @ SF

Sunday, Jan 13
    SEA WIN @ ATL
    HOU @ NE WIN

SW-Fans.Net Poster

Colander on the head... check. Ferrets... check. Imperial insignia... check. Pants... well, three out of four ain't bad!

Saturday, Jan 12
    BAL Win @ DEN
    GB Win @ SF

Sunday, Jan 13
    SEA @ ATL Win
    HOU @ NE Win

This time I will make my picks whilst not inebriated nor in a bar on my phone.

TheHolo.Net Moderator

Stealing planets with a cunning use of flags!
    Has been a member for 5 years or longer Park Kraken's Avatar
    Saturday, Jan 12
    BAL (W) @ DEN
    GB @ SF (W)

Sunday, Jan 13
    SEA (W) @ ATL
    HOU (W) @ NE

All in for the underdogs. <!-- / message -->

AAAAAARRGGGGGGHHHHHHH, Atlanta, you gave me a damn heart attack!

But I'm glad that the Seahawks are packing their bags and heading back home to Seattle since they're d-o-n-e.

Now my Niners go up against the Falcons in the NFC Championship game. Oh boy!

Two epic games this weekend, one back and forth and the other came down to the wire.

TheHolo.Net Moderator

Stealing planets with a cunning use of flags!
    Has been a member for 5 years or longer Park Kraken's Avatar
    What happens in a tie game in the post-season? If ATL and SF tie out next weekend, does that mean whoever wins the BAL vs NE/HOU game automatically wins the SB?

SW-Fans.Net Poster

I might return to RPing if those scrumptious Gue twins would come back. Figrin Sandwich, am I right?

Quote Originally Posted by Park Kraken View Post
    What happens in a tie game in the post-season? If ATL and SF tie out next weekend, does that mean whoever wins the BAL vs NE/HOU game automatically wins the SB?
    There are no tie games in the post season. The game keeps going until someone scores and wins in sudden death.

Correct. The Broncos-Ravens game was a rare example of double overtime in the NFL, and also an example of a few other variations in postseason overtime rules. In the regular season, there's a two-minute warning in the overtime period, just like the second and fourth quarters, and each team gets two timeouts. In the postseason, overtime works like the beginning of a new half: each team gets three timeouts per pair of fifteen-minute periods, and every other overtime period gets a two-minute warning. Theoretically, they play as many periods as it takes before somebody scores.

One point I'm not clear on is whether there's a kickoff to start the third overtime. In any case, no NFL playoff game has gone that far. The longest game in NFL history was a divisional playoff game between the Dolphins and Chiefs in 1971, which the Dolphins won on a field goal after 82 minutes and 40 seconds of football, 7:40 into the second OT.

Saturday's game was only the sixth in NFL history to reach a second overtime period. Of course, the game really was decided in the final minute of the first period, as the Ravens simply let the clock expire and switched ends of the field before kicking the winning field goal.

Okay, tallying up! I've figured in Ryan Pode's picks from last week, as Liam Jinn pointed out that he posted them in the wrong thread.

Week 19 Tally:
    Kyran O'Hurn: 3-1
    Rutabaga: 3-1
    Ryan Pode: 3-1
    Nathanial K'cansce: 2-2
    Park Kraken: 2-2
    Dragon: 1-3

Total Tally:
    Rutabaga: 174-90
    Kyran O'Hurn: 169-95
    Ryan Pode: 167-97
    Dragon: 165-99
    Nathanial K'cansce: 165-99
    Park Kraken: 156-108

And, by virtue of being ahead by five games with only three games left to play, Rutabaga has clinched victory in the 2012 SW-Fans NFL Pick 'em! Congratulations!

Not bad for someone who makes her picks mostly by instinct!