Thread: NFL Pick 'em 2012: Week 17 - Divisional match-up extravaganza!

Sports NFL Pick 'em 2012: Week 17 - Divisional match-up extravaganza!

Sunday, Dec 30
    TB @ ATL
    NYJ @ BUF
    BAL @ CIN
    CHI @ DET
    JAX @ TEN
    HOU @ IND
    CAR @ NO
    PHI @ NYG
    CLE @ PIT

OAK @ SD
    ARI @ SF
    STL @ SEA
    GB @ MIN
    MIA @ NE
    KC @ DEN

DAL @ WAS

Survivor:
    Dragon: PHI, SD, NO, BAL, CHI, ARI, GB, CHI, SEA, PIT, CIN, DEN, SF, IND, DET, NE
    Liam Jinn: SEA, SF, WAS, TB, CHI, HOU, IND, GB, CIN, ---, ---, ---, ---, ---, ---, ---
    Kolrad: MIN, NE, DAL, BAL, NYG, ATL, GB, CHI, HOU, PIT, NO, DEN, CLE, IND, TEN, ---
    Rutabaga: NE, DAL, SF, ARI, BAL, HOU, BUF, CHI, DEN, PIT, TB, CAR, NYG, ---, ---, ---
    Ryan Pode: CHI, MIN, BUF, ARI, NYG, ATL, CLE, ---, HOU, PHI, ---, DEN, ---, NE, DET, BAL
    Park Kraken: NO, WAS, SF, NE, NYG, ATL, OAK, GB, HOU, PIT, CIN, DEN, CAR, SEA, DET, KC

Yep, in keeping with the NFL's attempt to diminish the number of meaningless games in the final week of the season, all week 17 games are division match-ups. Here are the most interesting playoff races yet to be settled:

Houston (12-3) has the inside track on the #1 seed in the AFC because they beat Denver (12-3) early in the season. However, if they lose to Indy and Denver beats Kansas City, Denver will take it. Not terribly unlikely, except that it'll be a nearly meaningless game to the Colts, who are already assured a wild card.

The Patriots (11-4) could steal the #2 seed, but only if the Broncos lose to the Chiefs. That seems unlikely. Meanwhile, the Ravens (10-5) with their early victory over the Patriots could make the fairly meaningless jump from #4 to #3 if the Patriots lose to the Dolphins. That also seems unlikely.

The 49ers' (10-4-1) loss to Seattle (10-5) last night means the Packers (11-4) currently hold the #2 seed and the first-round bye that comes with it. But to secure it, they'll have to beat the Vikings (9-6), who risk losing their wild card spot with a loss. Meanwhile, the 49ers must now beat the Cardinals in Arizona to keep the Seahawks from taking the division title and leaving San Francisco with a wild card berth.

Speaking of wild cards, the next team up for that #6 NFC wild card spot is the Bears (9-6), who need a victory and a Vikings loss to get in. If both teams lose, the door could be open for a second-place NFC East team - the Redskins if they lose to the Cowboys (8-7), or the Giants (8-7) if they beat the Eagles and the Cowboys lose.

And, finally and most obviously, the Sunday Night game between Washington and Dallas is for the NFC East championship and the #4 seed. Washington still has a way in if they lose, but Dallas's poor NFC record means they have no shot at a wild card.

P.S.: My brother pointed out that the Seahawks still have a chance to get the #2 seed. They need a victory and a 49ers loss to take the division. That'll put them at 11-5. Then they need the Packers to fall to 11-5. The Seahawks would then win the tiebreaker thanks to their Fail Mary victory over the Packers back in Week 3.
    Last edited by Dragon; Dec 24th, 2012 at 11:48:01 AM.

SW-Fans.Net Poster

Member of the Arbitrary Apostrophe Club
    Mmmmmm, DELICIOUS
    Has been a member for 5 years or longer

Kinda sucks that the "Fail Mary" play could potentially have playoff implications.

Sunday, Dec 30
    (W) TB @ ATL
    NYJ @ BUF (W)
    (W) BAL @ CIN
    CHI @ DET (W)
    JAX @ TEN (W)
    HOU @ IND (W)
    CAR @ NO (W)
    PHI @ NYG (W)
    CLE @ PIT (W)

OAK @ SD (W)
    ARI @ SF (W)
    STL @ SEA (W)
    (W) GB @ MIN
    MIA @ NE (W)
    KC @ DEN (W)

DAL @ WAS (W)

Kyran O'Hurn
    Sunday, Dec 30
    TB @ ATL (W)
    NYJ @ BUF (W) - I'm renaming this one the "You take it. I don't want it Bowl" Cause I don't think either of these teams actually want a win.
    BAL (W) @ CIN
    CHI (W) @ DET
    JAX @ TEN (W)
    HOU (W) @ IND
    CAR @ NO (W)
    PHI @ NYG (W)
    CLE @ PIT (W)

OAK @ SD (W)
    ARI @ SF (W)
    STL @ SEA (W)
    GB (W) @ MIN
    MIA @ NE (W)
    KC @ DEN (W)

DAL @ WAS (W)

Quote Originally Posted by Nathanial K'cansce
    Kinda sucks that the "Fail Mary" play could potentially have playoff implications.
    Yes, but at least the Seahawks have helped the Packers out a great deal by beating the 49ers and opening the door to them for the first-round bye. It's Green Bay's spot to lose. Granted, if the Packers had won that game, the Seahawks' grasp on the wild card spot would be more tenuous, and Green Bay might be able to contend for home field advantage if the Falcons lose to the Buccaneers this week. I don't know how the tiebreakers shake out.

Sunday, Dec 30
    TB WIN @ ATL
    NYJ @ BUF WIN
    BAL @ CIN WIN
    CHI @ DET WIN
    JAX WIN @ TEN
    HOU WIN @ IND
    CAR @ NO WIN
    PHI @ NYG WIN
    CLE @ PIT WIN

OAK WIN @ SD
    ARI @ SF WIN
    STL @ SEA WIN
    GB WIN @ MIN
    MIA @ NE WIN
    KC @ DEN WIN

DAL @ WAS WIN

Survivor: Buffalo
    Last edited by Dragon; Dec 25th, 2012 at 11:44:47 PM.

Sunday, Dec 30
    TB @ ATL WIN
    NYJ WIN @ BUF
    BAL WIN @ CIN
    CHI WIN @ DET
    JAX @ TEN WIN
    HOU WIN @ IND
    CAR @ NO WIN
    PHI @ NYG WIN
    CLE @ PIT WIN

OAK @ SD WIN
    ARI @ SF WIN
    STL @ SEA WIN
    GB WIN @ MIN
    MIA @ NE WIN
    KC @ DEN WIN

DAL @ WAS WIN

SW-Fans.Net Poster

Colander on the head... check. Ferrets... check. Imperial insignia... check. Pants... well, three out of four ain't bad!

This is tedious as hell on a phone but:

ATL
    BUF
    BAL
    CHI
    JAX
    HOU
    NO
    NYG
    PIT
    SD
    SF
    SEA
    MIN
    NE
    DEN
    DAL

TheHolo.Net Admin
    OG Forum Overlord

AKA
    Holly
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Lilaena Steam ID: jainhollie
    Aaaauuuuugh I forgot to check my fantasy team and I have two guys not playing at all on my active roster *tears out hair*

I guess I won't be #2 for much longer.

Yes, I know there's a fantasy thread but I couldn't find it in the first two pages so I just stopped looking.

oh what a tangled web I weave

TheHolo.Net Moderator

Stealing planets with a cunning use of flags!
    Has been a member for 5 years or longer Park Kraken's Avatar
    Ugh, I knew there was something I forgot to do while on vacation. Well, maybe I can take the worst -1 on the early games and make the late picks, which I would hate to pass up. So.....

OAK @ SD (W)
    ARI @ SF (W)
    STL @ SEA (W)
    GB @ MIN (W)
    MIA @ NE (W)
    KC @ DEN (W)

DAL (W) @ WAS

Yay for the Niners winning the NFC West!

But I have to admit I have serious doubts about them making it through the playoffs. They've just been too erratic lately.

Well the NFC is hard to figure out. I give Atlanta the edge but several teams could go to SB from there. The Redskins will be a team to reckon with, especially with RG3 and their impressive defense.

And that's the regular season! Rutabaga has a pretty comfortable lead, seeing as there are only eleven games left, but it's a tight four-way race for second. Meanwhile, Kolrad is far and away the survivor champion. Congratulations!

Week 17 Tally:
    Nathanial K'cansce: 12-4
    Kyran O'Hurn: 11-5
    Dragon: 10-6
    Rutabaga: 10-6
    Ryan Pode: 10-6
    Park Kraken 9-7 (3-6 + 6-1)
    Kolrad: 8-8 (did not pick)
    Liam Jinn: 8-8 (did not pick)

Total Tally:

Rutabaga: 170-86
    Kyran O'Hurn: 162-94
    Dragon: 161-95
    Nathanial K'cansce: 161-95
    Ryan Pode: 161-95
    Park Kraken: 152-104
    Kolrad: 148-108
    Liam Jinn: 145-111

Survivor:
    Dragon: PHI, SD, NO, BAL, CHI, ARI, GB, CHI, SEA, PIT, CIN, DEN, SF, IND, DET, NE, BUF
    Liam Jinn: SEA, SF, WAS, TB, CHI, HOU, IND, GB, CIN, ---, ---, ---, ---, ---, ---, ---, ---
    Kolrad: MIN, NE, DAL, BAL, NYG, ATL, GB, CHI, HOU, PIT, NO, DEN, CLE, IND, TEN, ---, ---
    Rutabaga: NE, DAL, SF, ARI, BAL, HOU, BUF, CHI, DEN, PIT, TB, CAR, NYG, ---, ---, ---
    Ryan Pode: CHI, MIN, BUF, ARI, NYG, ATL, CLE, ---, HOU, PHI, ---, DEN, ---, NE, DET, BAL, ---
    Park Kraken: NO, WAS, SF, NE, NYG, ATL, OAK, GB, HOU, PIT, CIN, DEN, CAR, SEA, DET, KC ---

SW-Fans.Net Poster

Colander on the head... check. Ferrets... check. Imperial insignia... check. Pants... well, three out of four ain't bad!

Give me the Vikings, Ravens, and Seahawks.