Thread: 2017 Lose Weight and Get Fit

TheHolo.Net Admin

DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Christin
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: W4BSY Steam ID: ApexLupine

R&D 2017 Lose Weight and Get Fit

Is anyone trying to lose weight this year? Have any goals you're trying to work toward? Anyone participating in 5K's or training for marathons?

This year my work is doing the weight loss program again. Plus, they do teams; and even though Charley doesn't work there, he's still allowed to be on my team. At the end of the year the team that's lost the most get 500 dollars, so there's a lot of motivation to shed weight and replace it with muscle Last year I lost over 10% of my body weight, and got a cool 50 bucks, but sadly I slid back a little since last October and gained back about 8-10 pounds of what I lost, so I'm back to my limits and meal planning. Sitting at 170 lbs now, I'm hoping to see that downward trend once more.

What is everyone else doing to get in shape and change lifestyles for the better?

SW-Fans.Net Poster

Inappropriate for Public Consumption
    Has been a member for 5 years or longer

70.3 Ironman, under 6 hours.

1.9k swim
    90km bike
    21km run

Juuuust started to ramp up the training once again and get serious.

SW-Fans.Net Poster

AKA
    Nzat
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Nikita Satach Steam ID: Nzat
    I'm taking boxing lessons. Flabification is slowly happening. Training for a 5k will be starting next week.

"I think of my body as a side effect of my mind." - Carrie Fisher

TheHolo.Net Poster

The Scorpion Queen

AKA
    Natacha
    Due to the high levels of stress I have been handling these last months, I have caved in and gone for comfort food too many times. I also slacked when it comes to working out. Now that the first year of PhD is about over, I have started to workout again (pilates/stretching/yoga, I am a huge Blogilates/Cassey Ho fan) in the morning. I prefer doing 20ish minutes every day than longer blocks a few times a week. Regularity helps me a lot.

End of May, I move to my own place, so I am planning to go back to meal planning and eat healthier and be consistent in my workouts!

TheHolo.Net Admin

DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Christin
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: W4BSY Steam ID: ApexLupine
    I started a very loose application of Whole30 a few weeks back.

I already don't consume much of any dairy, I don't really eat legumes, it's a rare occasion when I eat carbs... a lot of the stuff in it I already do, so it's just been mostly upping my fruit and veggie intake, and ramping up my proteins. I'll not give up the alcohol, and I allow myself a few little cheats (Like when Charley made roasted chicken breast with a creamy spinach sauce over tortellini), but overall it's not too bad. The big thing for me is cutting processed foods. No more slim jims and chips from the gas station on the way to work - stuff like that.

I got a 24-hour stomach bug last weekend though (it was a super polite bug, but insistent all the same), and that dropped about 3 pounds lickety-split, heh.

SW-Fans.Net Poster

AKA
    Nzat
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

I need to work on meal planning. I keep putting it off. =P It doesn't help that I absolutely hate going to the grocery store. HATE it.

I also need to bust out my yoga mat and begin serious stretching. Today my back muscles, thoracolumbar fascia & erector spinae, burned sooooo bad by the end of doing squats. I need to stretch them out.

SW-Fans.Net Poster

AKA
    Nzat
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Anyone got any links to meal planning thing-a-mah-jigs? I've dieted so much over the years the thought of a low cal traditional diet makes me ill. I just can't anymore. Plus, thinking about doing a video blog of the horrors my kitchen will be turning out over the next year as I learn to cook and eat well.

So, recommends?

SW-Fans.Net Poster

Ever seen a Phoenix that rose from the ashes of a cigar?

You have now!
    AKA
    Kraken
    Weight Watchers is probably the best meal planning program I've used over the years. You can do online E-tools for like 2.50$ a week or something like that.

TheHolo.Net Poster

I was in the best shape of my life back around last October (6'4", just under 180 lbs, pretty cut/muscular). I got married on New Year's Eve and slowly rose up to the high 180s. I'm hovering about 185 lbs right now, but I've been working out a lot; I'd guess about 4-5 lbs of the extra 6-7 lbs I've gained since last November is muscle. I'd like to cut back down to 180, but I'm finding it very difficult to do so while lifting.

It doesn't help that about 20% of my calories come from alcohol and I refuse to give up drinking haha
    [[XXXXXX]]==================================>

Retired writer for Hwoarang, Ice Fox, Pal Vader, Jehovah

Just over 2 years ago I decided to take up running after being inspired by my sister. I started off doing the local parkrun (5km), I've now got a few half marathons (21.1km) under my belt and am planning for my next one in October.

"A Jedi must remain focused. Mastery of the Force requires that all unnecessary activities be purged from daily life."

TheHolo.Net Poster

Quote Originally Posted by Atreyu View Post
    Just over 2 years ago I decided to take up running after being inspired by my sister. I started off doing the local parkrun (5km), I've now got a few half marathons (21.1km) under my belt and am planning for my next one in October.
    How are your legs holding up? I've run on and off since high school, pretty consistently over the past 5 years or so. My knees and IT band were beginning to bother me, and I found myself riding the stationary bike sometimes to give my legs a break. I started doing hot yoga at night after running in the mornings, and it has done wonders for my legs.

SW-Fans.Net Poster

I'm a doctor, not a Jedi, Jim! What you're asking for is impossible! Oh, wait, I am a Jedi.

AKA
    Kaman
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: MiriyaCailis Steam ID: Gyndar
    I got back on the bicycle after approximately twenty years off of it, back in... June? Yeah, I think that's it. Anyways, after a few months of almost exclusively commuting, I'm planning for more distance, speed, and endurance.

Yeah, I know autumn is coming, and our so-called winter thereafter, but I'm not afraid.

Quote Originally Posted by Padd View Post
    How are your legs holding up? I've run on and off since high school, pretty consistently over the past 5 years or so. My knees and IT band were beginning to bother me, and I found myself riding the stationary bike sometimes to give my legs a break. I started doing hot yoga at night after running in the mornings, and it has done wonders for my legs.
    Legs have been fine. I'm 6'3" and have always been an avid walker, plus since I'm a nurse I'm on my feet nearly all shift (I once roughly calculated one busy morning shift that I had walked over 3 km just going up and down the corridor). My right ankle originally gave me a bit of trouble, apparently I tend to flex it sideways on movement. I've noticed it for years whenever I did extensive walking but never realised why until I started running. Some orthodics in the shoes fixed the problem quickly though and I've had no issues since.

TheHolo.Net Poster

I went on a 5.5-6 mile run this morning. I'm in Miami for work, and the heat+humidity is killer here. I feel like I'm moving in slow motion. Even when I get the ocean breeze, it just feels like it's slowing me down.