Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rude Awakening [Nallia]

TheHolo.Net Poster
    AKA
    Madeleia
    Syravari finished his drink as the Grosetto cruised into the atmosphere of the world, it's heavy clouded sky shrouding the ground below. Though they had a fair idea on the location of his odd cult of Oku waiting for the next ship to arrive, he knew this fanatical reception they were about to receive could go wrong in a moment. Rising, he carried his glass back to the lounge and then continued on to the cargo bay, meeting Brannoc and four others already geared and clothed in the heavier coats and boots. Weapons holstered or across their chests, Syravari reached into the locker and joined them.

"Food's being arranged in the room now," Brannoc informed, motioning with his head through the stacks of crates to the open door to their holding cell.

Nodding, Syravari zipped up the coat and took in the faces of those that he had been working with now for several years. "Don't take their simple ass minds for granted, these aliens aren't going to be happy once the cargo ramp raises, so be ready to shoot." They all knew what they were doing as his eyes lowered to the boots as he crouched and snapped the buckles on either side. Standing once more, he paced quietly until Tomas's voice chimed in over the intercom.

"Found 'em. Coming in now," the pilot informed everyone. "Large crowd gathering on the outside of a cleared area bordered by bonfires," he chuckled. "Damn, look at these things."

Tensions rose as his team in the cargo bay spaced out, taking up positions as Syravari placed his hand near the cargo bay's button to open the wide door which commanded the starboard side and though their back would be protected by the ship itself, they would have to keep their eyes along the lowered edge which would touch the ground.

"Ready," Tomas stated. "Three.... two.... one. Open the bay door."

Doing so, Syravari did his best to step up and prepare to calm the masses that he expected. Servos whined as the door lowered and the large group of white furred aliens in jubilation was as expected, their celebration filling the air with an uproar of emotion. Stepping up, the tall, middle aged pirate motioned to them as a larger male rose and stepped to him, then bowed. It's large, black orbs lowering to his hand as he moved to kiss the glove. Letting him, Syravari was beginning these aliens were out of their minds, but he played along for now. It's toothy maw full of flattened, wide teeth with only two incisors, it began speaking to him in it's language and then motioned to his people.

Nodding, Syravari backed a step and then raised his hands twice, all fingers outward and then motioned to the crowd as the protocol droid approached from within the ship. "Tell them we can only take twenty at a time."

"Yes, sir." It's polite, tinny voice then translated the instructions and the leader of the clan clapped once, loudly and turned to choose the first group, including himself among them. A good mix of male and female were in the first group and so far Syravari was pleased with the choices. He then turned and motioned for them to enter the cargo bay and they did so reluctantly. Once the last of them stepped aboard and were guided toward the cell, Syravari punched the button for the cargo bay to rise.

"Tomas, let's get out of here," Syravari stated.

"Got it."

A command that the chieftain and the few males among them didn't like....

TheHolo.Net Poster
    Blog Entries
    Nallia bit her lip as Bethany headed out into the hallway. She had never been reprimanded on the ship, not once. She had thought, at first, it was cause no one wanted to scare her. Then she knew it was because she knew better than to earn it. She had seen Bethany's temper at the guys on more than one occasion. It was amusing, but only because she wasn't on the receiving end of it.

This time, she had been. And it deeply hit her somewhere she didn't know she could hurt. Syra would give up his ship for her. That's what the woman had said. It scared her to think that, though her mind couldn't honestly grasp it.
    Blinking back a couple tears she knew were coming, she busied herself with the other two and filled platters and pitchers. It was simple fair, almost like a large lunch buffet they had all partaken of themselves once or twice. Meat,c heese, bread, water, juice and a couple types of fruits. She loaded the platters and watched as the others took them out.

A moment later she felt the familiar jolt as the ship landed. Knowing better than to exit the galley, she glanced out the window. The natives were dancing around in glee. Huge fires were scattered everywhere. She had never seen such a beautiful thing. She had seen fire of course, but not like this. Each bonfire was in the shape of a large triangle. The pinnacle of them was almost twice as high as most of the inhabitants. They were interesting creatures. She had never seen anything like them either. Suddenly a few of them spotted her in the window and waved jubilantly at her.

She ducked and turned away. She didn't want to wave, to be nice, to make friends. It was a job. That was all.

She turned to the counter and began cleaning up. It wasn't that far back to their destination, so she made sure the second set of trays were filled, and then covered them and set about cleaning up the rest of the kitchen. No more than ten minutes had gone by when she felt the once more familiar move of the ship. They were taking off. Voices were raised down the hall and she couldn't help herself, she moved to the kitchen door and palmed it open. She remained inside the threshold of the galley, but she strained to hear what the raised voices were saying.

TheHolo.Net Poster
    AKA
    Madeleia
    With the ship moving, Syravari's cold steel blue eyes now fixed on the males in the cell and quickdrew his pistol, firing stun bolts into the aliens, now scrambling for cover though with the large, open room there was none. That cue also prompted the rest of his team to do the same until all the Oku were down. "Lock 'em up," he commanded. Moving inside, Brannoc and the others began dragging each alien to the walls, binding their wrists with shackles. That done, the team moved the food within reach once the property could claim them. Dead slaves weren't worth anything to the crew.

Sighing, he turned and left the holding cell and holstered his pistol as he moved past all the crates and barrels lined in the cargo bay.

"Aron, take first watch," Brannoc stated as they closed the holding room's door and locked it.

Following Syravari out, the rest of the team would be keeping the cargo bay's hidden holorecorder in sight as well. The security stations located not only in the bridge, but also engineering and a small communications room central to the ship. Heading down the long hallway, the captain headed upstairs and continued on to the medbay where the pair of medical droids were preparing to evaluate their catch. "Let me know if any of them aren't going to make the trip back to Cloud City. Also any other traits that we may not know about."

"Yes, sir," the newest addition to the Grosetto replied. "My report will also be filed in your private server as well."

Nodding, Syravari turned and left the medbay, heading toward his office as he began shedding the arctic gear.

TheHolo.Net Poster
    Blog Entries
    Nallia heard the weapons firing and took a deep breath. That many shots had to be stun settings. They were collecting slaves, not meat. She listened to the myriad of sounds, unable to tell what was happening. A few moments later, the ladies came in and smiled with a nod to her. "It's clear, Nallia. Just stay out of the cargo area till Syra says it's ok." Bethany added.

They finished cleaning up the kitchen when Nallia looked up and saw the back of Syravari cross the hall intersection on the way to his office. Her hand was paused on the counter as she was wiping it down. The girls, out of her sight, looked to one another and Bethany nodded. A hand took the towel gently from her hand and a voice whispered, "Go to him, little nexu. But be kind. This is work. He will not be the man he was this morning."

Without another word, or even a thank you, Nallia was heading down the hallway, her legs tight as she forced herself not to run. The door to the office wasn't completely closed, so she walked in and headed for the bar. If he had a drink, she'd need one. If he didn't, then he certainly did. She saw his arctic jacket tossed on the floor where it had fallen off the back of the couch. She picked it up and tossed it into one of the chairs and then grabbed the fresh glass of amber liquid and turned towards him. "Thought you might need a drink." She was smiling, though concern was still in her eyes. "Couldn't remember if I set the new bottles in here this morning or not." She was doing her best to pretend nothing was going on. She could be strong for him. She would be, for them both. "Any idea what you want for dinner? I think there is one of your favorite steaks in the ice box. Or with the cold here, maybe a good stew to warm us all up?" She stood half way between him and the bar to see if he would simply tell her his dinner desire and dismiss her, or ask for the drink.

TheHolo.Net Poster
    AKA
    Madeleia
    Disregarding where his clothes fell as he moved to the desk, Syravari sat down in the leather chair and turned on his computer, his mind abuzz with all that had to be arranged now that their quarry was stowed away. Even though the catch was fairly straightforward, they still had to get the Oku to Cloud City without discovery by local authorities enroute. Business on the brain, he almost didn't notice Nallia come into the office and pour a drink. Names from his list now before him, he tapped on their new contact for slaves and began encrypting a message to him.

Glancing up as he finished, steel-blue eyes glanced to the tumbler in her hand and nodded, then returned his gaze to the message as it's letters became symbols, then was transmitted. The mention of dinner was the farthest thing from his mind as he leaned to the left, his arm perched atop the rest, fingers to his chin. "Yeah, that's fine," he stated distractedly, glancing to her once the transmission was received and he waited for an answer.

TheHolo.Net Poster
    Blog Entries
    Bethany had been right. This wasn't the warm Syravari that had tumbled her across that same couch this morning. But this was also the same one. She had come to him in a time of static and peace. This was the man she had seen, years before, the one other time he had come to the station she had been on as a child. The man with little to say and eyes that, while seeming to be miles away, were taking in every nuance, movement and glance she gave him. It may be filing away elsewhere, but she had no doubt he would recite word and line of their conversation a week from now if someone made him.

She moved towards him and set the glass down near his hand. "I'll see to it." She smiled and almost leaned down to kiss him. This wasn't the time. He had things to do it was time for business.

She was about to turn and head for the door when she thought of something. "Syra, you said there was a man who took on this type of... cargo. Is he the one who asked for this race in particular?" She wasn't sure why she asked, but something set off her mind and worry. Turning back to him, her gaze was suddenly serious like she had thought of something and feared telling him. "I don't know the specifics, and you don't have to answer me." She moved back to the side of his desk so she could look at him. "Think of who is asking for these strangelings. Then think of who sent you here, and where the exchange will take place." She wanted him to know this wasn't personal.

"Syra, you need to make sure, beyond all shadow of a doubt that this cargo isn't a setup. I have never seen or heard of these creatures." She bit her lip a moment. "I mean, I know I was isolated and lived a rather sheltered life. But I heard and saw a lot. Just please..." She had to ball her fists once more and take a step back just out of reach of him to continue. "Please make sure this is 'all in a row'." She let the silence hang a moment then nodded. "That's all I wanted to say. I wanted to be sure my return and the desire to get the brothel and hall set up hadn't been a distraction." She turned to head back to the kitchen.

On one hand, it was a valid worry and concern for her. She had been a great distraction to him, and vice versa, since her return. But on the other hand, she had just expressed doubt to him on his decision. One part of her knew he might think twice, go over the intel, numbers, and plan and ease her mind that all was well. Another part of her knew he might get enraged merely for second guessing his decision. Both ideas battled for supremacy in her mind and her heart raced in worry over which it would be.

TheHolo.Net Poster
    AKA
    Madeleia
    Taking in a deep breath, he let it out again slowly as the tumbler on the near edge of the desk caught his attention as the confirmation of the message received then began denoting a rotating symbol that he was about to get a reply. Taking the small glass as she asked about the cargo, he nodded and downed the drink in one swift gulp and then set the tumbler back on the desk. His eyes never leaving the screen, "Yeah, talking to him now. He's wanting them to be delivered on Cloud City, but we're going to have to smuggle them through Customs, but we have a Tenloss insider with them. He cleared us the last time, so." Not long after, he let the computer decrypt the returning message.

Her continued knowledge of the Oku caught his attention finally, glancing up to her as he listened. Sniffing as his brow furrowed lightly, "Don't worry, we know what we're doing. If I f*** up it's all our asses, so no need to get too concerned," he replied, his tone even and far from condescending, though his words may have relayed the wrong message. "They're well hidden, so even if his forged paperwork isn't on point, we're safe from anyone finding them. It's sensor resistant, so not even an LFI will detect them."

Returning his gaze to the screen, he was assured at least to this point that everything was on schedule. He had to admit though, any contract had the potential of being a setup so the buyer didn't have to pay him.

TheHolo.Net Poster
    Blog Entries
    The Nallia of a year ago would have begged and pleaded for forgiveness for doubting him with the tone of his voice echoing back her fear of having pushed a wrong button with him. She moved to the bar, filled a second glass, and turned back to him. "Well, that's good then." Was all she said and turned to go. She left his jacket on the chair and headed for the door.

Oddly enough, she didn't even feel like she would tear up. Either she was growing tougher, or just her bravado was stronger than it used to be. "I'll leave you be, then." She half murmured on her way out so he wouldn't think she was stalking out in a snit.

Once in the hallway, she pulled his door nearly closed to where it was before her entrance and headed back to the kitchen. Surely there was preparations for dinner that could be made. She had voiced concern, was answered, and didn't see a need to pursue it further. He was the boss, and besides the rest of the crew, she had no doubt he would see to it his own backside was safe from anything before or behind them.

TheHolo.Net Poster
    AKA
    Madeleia
    Keeping his mind on the business side of his lifestyle, Syravari failed to catch the reaction given and went back to the message now being decrypted and then translated on the screen before him. His past kept the pirate from picking up on the small things that others felt, having only ever keeping track of his own desires and wants. Brannoc stepped in not long after as a droid followed him, picking up the excess clothing scattered in the room and then left the two as the loadmaster poured himself a drink, then approached the left chair across from the desk and plopped down.

"So, we on schedule with this asshole," the gruff, dark haired mercenary asked.

Nodding, Syravari glanced to him as he read the reply: 'Have several buyers lined up already and eager to see what you've found.' Deleting the message, the Grosetto's captain reclined once more, leather groaning in protest. "Yeah, Tanner's saying they've got people lined up already, so just have to get this cargo there in once piece."

Downing the drink in his hand, "Sure you trust this guy?"

"For now," he shrugged. "Why?"

"Just wanted to know what kind of rounds I need to have the guys load when we arrive. Don't need Tanner or his own hired guns thinking they can take any of this instead of paying for it."

Syravari grinned darkly, "That would be a huge mistake on his part. Plus, bad for his business if he's backstabbing his own suppliers. Know what I mean?"

Brannoc nodded, lowering the empty glass. "So," he glanced toward the door, then back. "You and Nalli," he grinned. "This one going to be sticking around, or you kicking her to the curb once we get back?"

"Already got her involved, so yeah," steel blue eyes glanced to the door, "She'll stick for a while."

"Cool. Kind of like this one." He pushed himself up and moved back to the whetbar and poured another. "At least she's not sleeping with the rest of us, which is a disappointment to be honest."

Chuckling, "F*** you."

TheHolo.Net Poster
    Blog Entries
    A few hours later the dining room table was I've more covered in the dishes the girls had made for dinner. Nallia shooed Bethany into a chair and finished bringing in the last of it herself.

She had been quiet all day, softly humming to herself. She didn't brood or even seem put out by how the boss had barked at her before lunch. Bethany and the others had kept her busy in the kitchen while they took everyone lunch. Between the watches in the cargo bay and discussions happening all over, the young woman thought it best to just stay put.

Nallia managed to keep herself busy in the kitchen, watching through the doorway as the others filed into the next room to eat. She decided she wasn't gonna join them. It wasn't necessarily Syravari's reaction earlier. It was more because this run was important and she knew it. People missed steps explaining how something was done. For her, it just made more sense to stay out of the way, then ask how it was all done.

She has her back to the door, rinsing pots and pans, if the others bothered to glance her way as they headed in to eat. The steak, Syra's favorite, was on the table with vegetables, potatoes and fresh bread.

TheHolo.Net Poster
    AKA
    Madeleia
    Keeping his mind on the security of their catch, Syravari remained touring the ship closer to the bridge and his office finding himself staying busy more than anything. Droids cleaned and kept the ship's interior spotless as normal, keeping out of everyone's way. Soon, as he sat in the lounge and watched the latest episode of a holo that he had been collecting, Rebecca stepped in through the main door, "Dinner's ready."

Nodding, he glanced to the redhead as she moved to leave. "How's she doing?"

Stepping back into the room, hands on the door and handle, "Seems fine. I think she's lost with all this, but she'll get it," she grinned. "She's really taken with you, boss."

Syravari grinned and nodded, his eyes falling back toward the holoprojector sported in the center of the large, round, glass table. "See how she feels after this first run."

Letting him finish the show, Rebecca disappeared once more. Once done, the native of Ord Cestus pushed himself from the comfortable couch and turned off the show, then made his way to the main dining room. His mind adrift with future plans and things that he had learned from mentors growing up in Grosetto, the son of a brothel madame was starting to see fruits for all that frustration and scars. Entering the beautifully decorated room, the rest of the crew except for Brannoc on security duty sat down, joining him. Noting the empty chair as he began to eat, steel blue eyes glanced up to the door to the kitchen and wondered where Nallia was. Unsure if she had a few last minute things to do, he ate and enjoyed the meal. Light conversation between the group there filled the air along with music in the background, he finished and sat back and soon pushed himself up. Rounding the table, he pushed the door open to the kitchen and stepped in, leaving the others behind as it closed once more.

Nearing the long island, he leaned on the outer edge and watched her clean the host of pots and pans. "You know we have a washer for that," his deep, gravely voice cut into the otherwise silent kitchen.

TheHolo.Net Poster
    Blog Entries
    Nallia had learned around the Overseers to keep track of who was at her back. Syra's steps into the galley were hid giveaway, and the fact he wasn't talking when he first entered. A soft smile he couldn't see would touch her lips as he entered. "I know. But it gives me something to do." She wasn't going to say it made her feel useful, that wasn't the right word. She was useful and she knew it. But right now, she just didn't have anything else to do.

If he looked around, her half finished meal was on the edge of the counter. She was taking bits from it between the scrubbing. She had a nice stack sitting off to the side, drip drying and was on the last pan as she spoke again. She didn't turn around to face him, and hoped he wouldn't go silent and sneak out on her. She could hear him breathing so she knew she wasn't talking to dead air. "So how is it going? Everyone settled into watch shifts for the night?" She knew she wouldn't be on the rotation. Chances are the other girls wouldn't either. The trip wasn't that long so there was no need to make sure they men had some respite and time to see to their other jobs as well as sleep. "I'll get Brannoc to start teaching me hand to hand again when this trip is over." She glanced over her back to see his reaction. "Maybe next time it's needed I can handle a small shift to give the others a chance to rest as well."

She took a deep breath and set the final pan to the side. Realizing there was nothing more to do, she busied herself rinsing the sinks, wiping off the counter, whatever kept her from looking at him. He would never see her cry, she wasn't about to now, either. She just knew if she looked at him, he would see she was strong, and proud and glad to be part of this. She wasn't sure why she didn't want him to see that, only that it made her uneasy somehow. How do you tell someone who wants nothing more than to protect you, that it's all right to feel that way?

How do you tell the Captain, a man who practically wrote the book on 'survival as a smuggler' that she was ready for this kind of life?

The only way she knew how was to let him do his thing and not worry about her being underfoot, or trying to explain everything to her just to placate her.

TheHolo.Net Poster
    AKA
    Madeleia
    Even though he hadn't been the warmest person in the galaxy, Syravari had grown up around a host of women and could tell some of their moods at times. Though he wasn't an expert by any stretch, he understood what may be going on with Nallia now and as she continued working, taking a bite to eat occasionally as she moved, the pirate was finding himself admiring her lines again. The softness of her skin as he recalled some of the things they had talked about in private. Her query prompted him to cross his arms, still leaning on the island. "Yeah, this is a milk run compared to some in the past. Brannoc's going to be pissed that he missed dinner, but he actually enjoys this part of the job instead of sitting around. Never known many like him in my life, but he's definitely someone you want in your corner when things go to hell."

Nallia's idea with having him teach her how to fight was a good one as Syravari nodded. "Yeah, that'd be fine. Just be careful he doesn't get too handsy. I'll have to beat his ass." he grinned, though noted she still wasn't looking at him as they talked. "May sound old fashioned, but having any of you girls take up guard duty has never been my thing. Not that it's a man's job by any stretch, but just rather one of us be the ones to be the first line of defense should things go to shit." Was he becoming a knight in shining armor, like some of those stories that Tiffany would read him at night, growing up? Grinning to himself, he changed the subject.

"Once we get back, going to have you keep track of the finances, like I mentioned before. Make sure Tanner pays us every credit he owes for this cargo. You have the account numbers in there with all the names, on my computer, so."

TheHolo.Net Poster
    Blog Entries
    Nallia blushed as Syra made the comment he'd hurt Brannoc if he got fresh with her. She knew if she was hurt, the smuggler would be upset. But she'd gotten the feeling lately that he'd be mad if more than that occurred. "He'll behave, hun. I doubt he wants synthetic limbs." She hadn't realized the term of endearment. "And no worries about food. I believe Bethany took him a plate before she finished setting the table."

Another thing Nia was oblivious to was the man's gaze up and down her body as she stretched across the counter to wipe it, or reach into a cupboard.

"I'm glad the run's smooth. We all deserve a break." At the mention of getting paid properly, and with nothing valid to keep her back to him, she finally turned to face him as she dried her hands. "I'll make sure every credit is there." She smiled slightly at him.

"Did you get enough to eat? We figured a nicer dinner tonight, and make soup tomorrow night since we'll be wrung out from the run. I'm sure no one will sleep tight tonight."

Glancing at the ice box the young woman nodded. "There's already food in there. Trays set for the morning watch for the cargo hold and a tray for anyone up wandering the floors." She reached over to run her hand down Syra's arm lightly in reassurance. "Everything will be fine. They know what they're doing. And I'll stay in your office when we get there if you prefer."

TheHolo.Net Poster
    AKA
    Madeleia
    Syravari smiled at her initial comment and continued admiring her as she continued cleaning until she moved toward him. Nodding, "I did, that was great as always. You've got many talents in and out of the kitchen," he smirked, winking at her and then listened to the plan for the later meals as well as what had been set aside for the cargo who no doubt were still agitated and afraid.

"Only need to be in the office when the money's transferred, otherwise I don't mind you coming with us and see how this is all done. Better than hiding in here," he moved his right hand to hers situated on his left forearm and held it. "You're a part of this crew, like it or not, so might as well start getting comfortable with this rabble."

"I heard that," Sabrina interrupted as she led the other girls into the kitchen, hands full of dirty dishes as they moved to the sink.

Glancing to the trio, he smirked. "Hey, shoe fits, right?"

"Don't be corrupting her already," Rebecca winked at Nallia as she added her load to the rest.

"Bit too late for that now," Syravari countered.

TheHolo.Net Poster
    Blog Entries
    A blush finally rose for his viewing as he spoke of the myriad of talents she had that he was aware of. She shook her head and laughed. "I'm gonna have to see to it you remember that, boss."

Nallia smiled as Syra touched her hand. "I just didn't want you side tracked 'cause of me. That was all. I'd love to see how it all goes." She winked teasing. "Gotta make sure you are kept coming back on board, after all, right?"

When the others came in, she didn't bother to move her hand. Everyone knew of the pair and it didn't seem necessary to maintain a front. And she wasn't quite ready to let him go. "I'm afraid he's right. I was corrupt when I got here." She laughed and moved to the Syra's side to make room for the three. "Well, nice timing. All the other dishes are done, so these are yours." She glanced at Syra and nodded down the hall. "I believe I have an assignment in your office, don't I, boss?" She smiled for his eyes alone, despite the fact anyone else looking could see it. She knew the only way to make sure money was settled after the upcoming transaction, was to be sure it was fine before hand. And seeing as everyone was still up and about, now seemed the perfect time. Otherwise, her mind wanted nothing more than to drag Syravari to their room, give him a good back rub and see what happened when the lights when out.

TheHolo.Net Poster
    AKA
    Madeleia
    Nodding, he was ready for some more private time and led her from the kitchen and through the side entrance, avoiding Brannoc and the others as he entered the main hall, leading her to the stairwell and up to the master bedroom instead. The office could wait, he mused. As their relationship had progressed, he realized that soon she would be privy to all the business dealings and back alley agreements that he had been a part of. If none of that scared her off, she was going to stay for the long haul. Few had even made it this far so he was sure that she was either too afraid to leave now, or the life really did intrigue her.

Entering the room, he let her enter first, then closed the door behind them and began kissing her as they slowly made their way to the bed. Hands exploring as they did so, Syravari began undressing her slowly, leading with his hands and following with kisses down her frame.

Ending some time later in the large, marble bathtub, his fingers slowly coursed from her shoulder to her lower back. The warmth of the water eased his muscles after their primal intimacy, the smell of her and nearness made him realize that this was what life was meant to be.

"Tomorrow we're going to be back on Cloud City and this cargo's going to be transferred to Tanner. He's going to evaluate them and then sign off, then the money'll be in the account. From that point on, we're on our own." He knew this wasn't great pillow talk, but it was on his mind and so far she had been great at distracting him from what they were doing. Though he didn't mind a bit.

TheHolo.Net Poster
    Blog Entries
    When his leading ended them at their bedroom, a smile lit her whole face. Hands and kisses trailed as his own did and the comfort between them grew, as did their needs and passion.

Later, in the tub, clothes strewn across the floor and bed in disarray, she arched to his touch slightly and nodded. "I'll see to it the credit balance is as it should be, Syra." When he said they would be on her own, she shifted to look up at him. Her hand rose to brush water drops lightly from his shoulder as she looked at him. "Haven't you always been that way? I mean, it strikes me that this is no different. The job is done, we see how the new venture is coming along, then we find another job." She rested her hand on his chest, her smile softening slightly. "I'm not leaving, Syra. On our own or not. I realized when I watched you drop the cargo you received when you acquired me, you are always on your own. But that's how you work best." Resting her head against his chest, she laughed softly. "I know the new venture will mean people working for you, but I imagine you will be more of an absentee landlord if you have your way."

Her eyes closed as she relaxed against him. He was a wanderer, she knew that much. Being in a clean suit, dealing with things like liquor orders and the upkeep of pleasure rooms on a day to day basis wasn't for him. She knew he would always meander, and it was perfectly fine with her... as long as she could be there as well. "We'll be fine, Syr... you always are." She wasn't sure why he felt he needed to point out they were going to be back to themselves, but she hoped her response let him know it was all right with her.

TheHolo.Net Poster
    AKA
    Madeleia
    He thought more on the brothel and casino idea and how that was all shaping up on Cloud City and knew she was right, he had no intentions on being the CEO of a company that was around for daily meetings or worrying about all the other things that came with being a manager. Other people would definitely be better suited for that. Perhaps Molly would take that on, he mused as Nallia talked. Nodding as she relaxed with him in the warm water, chuckling lightly. "My mom was the businesswoman and never taught me much about the money side of it, but I learned most of the rest from her. Keeping track of people, knowing that each of them had their own lives and troubles. Family. She used to say it's not easy governing a large group of independent women, but understanding them and giving them their space when they needed it was important. She had thirty girls working for her at one point, not sure how many she's got now. Also had to keep good ties with the local leaders and cops too," he smirked. "Half those guys were regulars, so that helped a lot."

He was going to have to do some networking with the underbelly of Cloud City, he knew, if he wanted his business to succeed. "May have to stick around Cloud City for a few weeks, start making contacts and all that." Leaning his head into hers, "Give you some time to do some training and maybe some shopping. Bethany and the girls won't mind helping you spend some money." And give Nallia some time to be one of the girls as well.

TheHolo.Net Poster
    Blog Entries
    Nallia smiled. She had figured he hadgotten his business mind from his mother. “Well, books are easy,it's the rest that's hard. If you aren't going to always be around,you need someone you trust to hold the reins. And you don't want eachaspect, the casino and the brothel, to be running independantly.”Her mind started wandering about all the things she had learnedlistening from the dark corners late at night. Till she stowed awayon the Grosetto, she had plans to one day kill the Overseers and takeover the whole operation herself. So she listened and learned. Shenever guessed, squatting behind those crates in the cargo hold,looking up at the man who once terrified her, but now intrigued her,that she would want to help him to be as great a man as the Overseershad been.

“I would say whoever you get tooversee the brothel side, should oversee them both. Maybe get aperson to see to the day to day of the casino, cause it's hard to runboth, but make the casino manager answer to the brothel manager. Andhave that person answer to you.” She figured the person taking careof the human, versus the alcohol and gambling aspect, would be morelevel headed. Though the person on the casino side would probably bemore profit driven. The balance would work well if he found the rightpeople.

“Your mother sounds like a wonderfulwoman.” She smiled. What would that woman think of her? An upstartstowaway who was enamored with her son. “She was right to cultivatethe locals, especially law givers. If you keep them happy, help themget what they can't, you can be amazingly profitable. But has tostart straight up. Nothing illegal to begin with. Then maybe find adrink someone can't get, or a weapon they want.” She bit her lipand looked up at him worried. “I'm sorry, you know that already.”She looked back down, stiffening slightly in his embrace. She hadcrossed him earlier that night, second guessing his choices, thoughnot really meaning to. She was worried she had just done it again andbit her lip as she waited to see bad it was.

The idea of shopping with the girls,momentarily forgotten as once more, her foot filled her mouth insteadof her brain.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast