Thread: Weekend Boxoffice (Oct 9-11, 2015)

Movies Weekend Boxoffice (Oct 9-11, 2015)

Estimates courtesy of BoxOfficeGuru.com:

1 The Martian $ 37,000,000
    2 Hotel Transylvania 2 20,300,000
    3 Pan 15,530,000
    4 The Intern 8,660,000
    5 Sicario 7,350,000
    6 Maze Runner: The Scorch Trials 5,250,000
    7 The Walk 3,650,000
    8 Black Mass 3,130,000
    9 Everest 3,030,000
    10 The Visit 2,420,000

"A Jedi must remain focused. Mastery of the Force requires that all unnecessary activities be purged from daily life."

Quick thoughts:

1. Great hold by The Martian, if it can keep this up it should come close to (maybe even cross) $200M.

2. Hotel Transylvania 2 is holding really, really well - fully expect a 3rd film to be greenlit after this performance.

3. Pretty disappointing for Pan (rumoured budget of approx. $150M), though I'm not surprised - the trailers looked rubbish.

4. Maze Runner 2 doing decent business now but looks to end with a fairly disappointing total compared to its predecessor.

5. The Walk, what the hell happened? Critical darling, curious subject matter and was clearly expected to pull awards buzz but has absolutely failed to launch. Disappointing for Zemeckis and Gordon-Levitt, all the more so because I've heard it's really quite good.

On a side note the new Steve Jobs film debuted outside the Top 10 in only 4 theatres but had a sensational per theatre average (approx. $130,000 per theatre) - one to keep an eye on I think.

TheHolo.Net Admin
    OG Forum Overlord

AKA
    Holly
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Lilaena Steam ID: jainhollie
    I know that, for me, the reason I didn't go see The Walk is that I'm scared of heights.

The Scorch Trials might be doing less because it's significantly scarier/more...something than the first one. The first one had a couple scary monsters in it, sure, but this one has full on fast zombies, leaking black blood and growing plant-like stuff inside them. Like a lot of them. It's definitely a PG-13 movie that's pretty high on the violence/scare/yukky factor of the rating. People are probably not taking as many children to see it as they might have the first?

But maybe not. I thought it was decent and a good follow up to the first one's story.

oh what a tangled web I weave

One reason I've heard re: Maze Runner 2's performance is that there isn't any actual maze in the sequel.

TheHolo.Net Admin
    OG Forum Overlord

AKA
    Holly
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Lilaena Steam ID: jainhollie
    True enough!