Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sidebar Trial Run

Not everyone has access to the AIM chat, so the new chatbox is a handy feature. I don't plan on using it myself much, however it's been requested several times over the last few years so it's good to finally have the feature added. Even if it's only used for silly comments there's no harm in having it.
    Last edited by Atreyu; Sep 19th, 2015 at 04:37:04 AM.

"A Jedi must remain focused. Mastery of the Force requires that all unnecessary activities be purged from daily life."

Please stop acting like I'm accusing it of being "harmful", or like I'm calling for it to be removed. I have said nothing even remotely resembling that.

All I did was ask if anyone had thought about what it would be used for, which is a perfectly reasonable question.

As far as access to the AIM chat goes though, literally all you need to do is ask someone - there's not a secret handshake or anything.

(Guys, we should totally have a secret handshake)

TheHolo.Net Admin
    OG Forum Overlord

AKA
    Holly
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Lilaena Steam ID: jainhollie
    People are responding like that because usually the next suggestion (not from you, personally) after "what would we even use it for?" is "then we shouldn't have it at all."

The chat box is for silliness. It might be used for RP talk, it might be just occasional one liners.

oh what a tangled web I weave

Yes well, I've already said a bunch of times that I'm not trying to get rid of it, so it's frustratingly unnecessary.
    It's like that, and that's the way it is.

SW-Fans.Net Poster

Silver-Tongued Devil

Has been a member for 5 years or longer

I like the chat box. I didn't even know there was an AIM chat group.

TheHolo.Net Poster

Sometimes I think about having you executed, just to see the expression on your face!

DragonCon 09

AKA
    Erin
    Chat boxes are used to say "Sup?" to people when you see them online.

Or.... to say, May the Forth be with you!

Or.... to say, Hey LD, I really liked whacking you off that cliff with the big metal beam, can we do that again sometime?

Or... Hey Random New Person, glad to see you around!

Or.... to say goofy things regarding I dunno, golden wrenches seem to be the popular utensil in use today.

Or..... to say 'Hey is there a Mod/Admin around I have a question? (in case someone happens to be on another account or lurking).

Or... just to voice a random 'By the old Gods and the New, I wish a certain Jones was here.

And that's what chat boxes are all about Charlie Brown.

*Bows*
    Last edited by Razielle Alastor; Sep 19th, 2015 at 05:15:52 PM.

SW-Fans.Net Poster

You look like you work at a hasidic meth lab.

AKA
    Brian
    OMG RAZZY *tacklehug*

It's like the old song says "Rock the Chatbox. Rock the Chatbox."

(Please note: I don't care strongly about the matter. If it's there, I'll use it to a small degree. If not, I lose nothing.)

Just adding in my two cents...

No matter the content, I do like the move from the leftside to the right. It seems less obtrusive there for some reason.

TheHolo.Net Poster

Sitting in a high-backed chair doing some plotting.
    Agree on the location.

I continue to think that anything that shows that things is happening is a good thing.

I think the chat box is a potentially jolly addition.
    "We shall create order where it is absent, maintain order where it is present, and we shall defend order where it is threatened."

TheHolo.Net Poster

AKA
    Droo
    Gamer IDs

Steam ID: droogydroo
    Much better on the right side. Good call.

Bit of a weird discovery. In the Group Discussions section of the sidebar, it shows the name of the person who made the most recent post (eg. the Jedi discussion currently shows Cleo Némain) as a link. However, if you click on that link, it takes you to the profile page of the person who created the thread (eg. the Jedi discussion currently links to Serena Laran's profile).

TheHolo.Net Admin
    OG Forum Overlord

AKA
    Holly
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Untouchable View Post
    Bit of a weird discovery. In the Group Discussions section of the sidebar, it shows the name of the person who made the most recent post (eg. the Jedi discussion currently shows Cleo Némain) as a link. However, if you click on that link, it takes you to the profile page of the person who created the thread (eg. the Jedi discussion currently links to Serena Laran's profile).
    I don't know why it does that, and I can't change it. But if you click the title of the group discussion it takes you there just fine. D:

^ Aye, I know I can just click on the discussion, was just pointing out a weird bug.

With the activity feed at the top of the sidebar, sometimes it shows a full five posts, and sometimes it shows fewer than that. From switching accounts, I know that stuff from the mod forum won't show up on accounts that don't have permission for that forum... but I'm on an account that can see the mod forum, and I'm only getting three posts showing up. Is there a time limit on the activity feed (ie. new posts in the last x hours)? Is there just another forum that I can't see that's had post activity in it today?

Not an issue or anything, I am just intrigued by this strange mystery.

TheHolo.Net Admin
    OG Forum Overlord

AKA
    Holly
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

I think it has to do with new posts being made in the staff only forums.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12