Thread: Star Wars: Aftermath

TheHolo.Net Admin

DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Christin
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: W4BSY Steam ID: ApexLupine

Books Star Wars: Aftermath

So, with Aftermath coming out on Friday, would anyone be keen on doing a soft restart of our old book club? Maybe give folks a week to get the book in case the bookstore is sold out or Amazon takes a bit longer than normal, then on Friday the 11th we can start in on it?

TheHolo.Net Admin
    OG Forum Overlord

AKA
    Holly
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Lilaena Steam ID: jainhollie
    Sounds good. I just pre-ordered the book.

oh what a tangled web I weave

TheHolo.Net Poster
    Has been a member for 5 years or longer

AKA
    Droo
    Gamer IDs

Steam ID: droogydroo
    I'm interested, but I'm also curious about the book: presumably it has been given an official blessing, but if it is truly the "Journey to Star Wars: The Force Awakens," then I'll probably give it a miss, since I'd like to go into the film as uninformed as possible. In that case, I'm on board, but I'll wait for the next book.

TheHolo.Net Admin

DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Christin
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: W4BSY Steam ID: ApexLupine
    We picked it up as well, so we'll be ready to start on the 11th

TheHolo.Net Poster

How was it guys? I just got around to buying it. I won't be able to read it until the end of the month.
    [[XXXXXX]]==================================>

Retired writer for Hwoarang, Ice Fox, Pal Vader, Jehovah

It's terrible. You at least get backstory into Greg Grunberg's character in TFA, uh, I guess. But there was very little I liked about that book.

Lost Stars, however...<3

TheHolo.Net Poster

That's disappointing. I felt the same way after reading Dark Disciple. I was hoping this would be better.

TheHolo.Net Poster

So I read the first two, and I'm halfway through the third. I didn't think the first was horrible (ie it was much better than Dark Disciple), but it was far from great.

The second one was rather enjoyable. My main issue was how poorly they captured the magic of Harrison Ford when writing Han Solo. Other than that, I rather liked it.

I'm halfway through the third. I will not post any spoilers here, but so far, it's as good as the second, and they finally seem to have the aforementioned Han Solo problem under control. I'll post more thoughts when I finish.

I've still heard mixed-to-bad reviews of book two and three. I'd like to read them if given the chance, but I can't in good faith spend any more money on a Chuck Wendig book. The first one was so bad that it burned me pretty deep. Maybe I'll try and borrow it.

TheHolo.Net Poster

They aren't art by any means, but they're easy and fun if you've got a few spare hours. As I read another 75 pages or so in book 3 today, it seems as if they are trying too hard to push a certain character's homosexuality in your face for the sake of having an openly homosexual character, but I'm still enjoying it.

As a side note, I read most of book two and all of book three so far slightly (or moderately) buzzed on a boozy vacation. So that could explain why I'm liking it.