Thread: 2016 Nerd Event

TheHolo.Net Admin

DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Christin
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: W4BSY Steam ID: ApexLupine

Movies 2016 Nerd Event

I posted this on the FB page, but I'm posting it here also in case some of our members don't frequent FB.

So, to my knowledge a few ideas have been floated for the 2016 Nerd event; a trip to LA, and a trip to England for Star Wars Celebration. And here's another!

What if we did a 2016 England trip for Rogue 1? It's being released on December 16th of 2016, so that would allow a good padding time for money saving.

SW-Fans.Net Poster

I... am... CHRISTMAS!
    Has been a member for 5 years or longer

I vote yes, since it's the only way myself, and likely Droo as well, will get to meet any of you guys face to face any time soon.

TheHolo.Net Admin

Baroness Scorpion #2
    Lesbian Overlord of SWFans

DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Jenny
    I'm obviously up for it As I think we talked about on Google Hangout recently, I can recommend some relatively cheap options for accommodation in London - if we wanted to operate out of there.

TheHolo.Net Admin
    OG Forum Overlord

AKA
    Holly
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Lilaena Steam ID: jainhollie
    I'd love to but obviously traveling around Christmastime is iffy when it's Ty's busiest time of year for work and I can't miss the holidays with my kids.

oh what a tangled web I weave

TheHolo.Net Poster

Darth Saevitia

AKA
    Dee
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: BloodyDecadence Steam ID: TheSpartanWitch
    Said it on Facebook but it bears repeating...I love this idea! I'm totally up for it, providing, of course, I'm gainfully employed and its monetarily feasible

I'd honestly love to, but my life situation would need a dramatic change & improvement to make it possible. =(

A nerd event in England? I dunno you guys... might be a bit far for me to travel.

Goes without saying that I'm completely up for this. I know London pretty well, so if we want to base ourselves there and hit up all the museums and what-not, I should be able to play tour guide. If we're smart about it, we might be able to get tickets for Rogue One at the IMAX in Waterloo... or we could swing by Leicester Square (where all the UK premieres happen).

Still need to get back out to America at some point though, to offset the cravings for Waffle House and Taco Bell. (Also, hanging out with you guys would not be terrible, I guess. )
    It's like that, and that's the way it is.

I'm optimistic... so we'll see. A lot could change in over a year.

TheHolo.Net Poster

The Scorpion Prince
    Oil my peanuts, you blood-cursed bastards.
    DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Peter
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: CrusaderJ11
    England sounds great! Since Celebration is booked out for weekend tickets even before Episode 7 comes out a late nerd event would be great. Plus we Germans could come by car again and so we can have a boot/trunk full of stuff with us.

Me? In England... in the cold.

Yeah sure! What could possibly go wrong?

So then, a tentative look at December of 2016?

I know a lot of success in previous Nerds (in terms of folks being able to stay about for a week or so) was due to the generous offerings of lodging from nerds. Is there a possibility that we may do something like we did in Germany, and shift lodging locations during the course of the trip to cut down on hotel costs? Transition rooms are fine, since I've no problem paying for a clowncar room. But it might be nice to not limit ourselves to just London. I'd love to see Jones, and Jones' mum (not to mention the cooking adventures to result from Charley and the Kind Mrs. Jones)

Just a thought.

TheHolo.Net Poster

I'm having no part in this!

I want to go so bad! However, I'm saving for Machu Picchu next year, so I doubt I'll be able to do both.

TheHolo.Net Admin
    OG Forum Overlord

AKA
    Holly
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

I don't know if it'll top this year in Oregon, which is going to be so much fun.

Psht, Oregon. What's so great about Oregon?
    a.k.a. Hunk, a.k.a. "That guy from Wisconsin who never posts"

TheHolo.Net Admin
    OG Forum Overlord

AKA
    Holly
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

It has it's good points and it's bad points.

Liam Quez
    England :O sounds like a good time I'm down.

TheHolo.Net Poster

Sitting in a high-backed chair doing some plotting.
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter McCoy View Post
    I vote yes, since it's the only way myself, and likely Droo as well, will get to meet any of you guys face to face any time soon.
    The same goes for me. Actually, come to think of it I haven't seen you for a decade *hyperventilates* and we (a) live in the same country and (b) went to the same school.

The only difficulty I foresee is the inevitable messy collision of my secret nerdself and my public nerdself but we'll deal with that when we get to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    Psht, Oregon. What's so great about Oregon?
    I hear it's lovely. From informed sources no less.
    Last edited by Tiberius Anar; Oct 14th, 2015 at 02:57:04 PM.

SW-Fans.Net Poster

A larrrge penjisss jisss alwajysss welcome!

AKA
    Charley
    Bothawui, or one of her many villas in the Carshoulis Cluster
    Quote Originally Posted by Marlon Kori View Post
    So then, a tentative look at December of 2016?

I know a lot of success in previous Nerds (in terms of folks being able to stay about for a week or so) was due to the generous offerings of lodging from nerds. Is there a possibility that we may do something like we did in Germany, and shift lodging locations during the course of the trip to cut down on hotel costs? Transition rooms are fine, since I've no problem paying for a clowncar room. But it might be nice to not limit ourselves to just London. I'd love to see Jones, and Jones' mum (not to mention the cooking adventures to result from Charley and the Kind Mrs. Jones)

Just a thought.
    Totes wanna cook with Jenny's mum and have some sort of gin beverage

TheHolo.Net Admin

Baroness Scorpion #2
    Lesbian Overlord of SWFans

DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Jenny
    Charley asked me to give this a bump, and see what peoples thought are about UK Nerd.

I can offer my flat as a base of operations for some/all of the trip, but as Peter and Martina can confirm, it's very small! For those who have visited Charley and Christin's, the entire flat is about the size of their lounge and dining room combined.

If anyone else in the UK could act as another staging point, that would be excellent. I can't drive / don't have a car, so we would be relying on trains to get out and about from Newcastle... which is doable - but we can probably get to London cheaper from a city that's further south.

I would love to offer up my place as a place to crash, but that's not gonna fly with my cranky neighbours. I'm hoping to move at some point next year, so that might change things a little.

There is the "rent somewhere for a week or so" option, which might not be too terrible once the cost is split up between a few of us. All depends on how many people are coming, how long for, and when, though. If we aim to have Rogue One towards the end of the trip, anywhere we have to pay for is probably gonna be a smidge cheaper (because it'll be pre-Christmas)... but that might get iffy depending on when people are able to secure holiday, etc.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast