Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Star Wars: Rogue One

SW-Fans.Net Poster

I might return to RPing if those scrumptious Gue twins would come back. Figrin Sandwich, am I right?
    Has been a member for 5 years or longer

I initially shrugged off the reshoot news as well, but some of the reports on why and how are concerning to me. Rumors that another director is being brought in to help with the reshoot scenes, that the Disney execs thought it wasn't enough like The Force Awakens or A New Hope. Gareth Edwards entire premise was to make a more gritty war movie, which I think is very fitting for this specific story, and he was apparently very open about this, but now this approach isn't correct according to some? There's a rumor floating around that there was a scene in the first cut in which Vader shows up and completely slaughters a squad of Rebel troops, and this was one of the scenes that the execs couldn't stomach because they wanted a more family friendly movie.

Reshoots that are necessary to redo a scene or add some small piece of content are normal. Reshoots that are done to completely revamp the core of a movie rarely turn out well. Hopefully this is just the Star Wars hype machine making a mountain out of a molehill.

TheHolo.Net Admin

Baroness Scorpion #2
    Lesbian Overlord of SWFans

DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Jenny
    There's a rumor floating around that there was a scene in the first cut in which Vader shows up and completely slaughters a squad of Rebel troops,
    That would be so brutal / awesome

TheHolo.Net Admin

Baroness Scorpion #2

DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Jenny
    Character run down from here: http://io9.gizmodo.com/meet-the-hero...-on-1782427553

• Jyn Erso, played by Felicity Jones. She’s the one character we already knew and Lucasfilm president Kathleen Kennedy calls her “ a kind of Joan of Arc in the story.
    • Captain Cassian Andor, played by Diego Luna. He’s a “by the book” Rebel officer who is teamed up with Erso to ground her a bit.
    • Chirrut Imwe played by Donnie Yen. Imwe is a “warrior monk” type who is blind and, while he can’t use the Force, believes in it.
    • Baze Malbus played by Jiang Wen. He’s the close friend of Chirrut Imwe who doesn’t quite share his spiritual beliefs.
    • Bodhi Rook played by Riz Ahmed. More than just a potential Point Break reference, Rook is “the Rebel’s lead pilot.”
    • K-2SO played by Alan Tudyk. Referred to as K-2, this droid is described by director Gareth Edwards as “Chewbacca’s personality in a droid’s body. He doesn’t give a shit about what you think.”
    • Galen Erso played by Mads Mikkelsen. Galen is Jyn’s father who is a scientist with work desired by the Rebels and Empire.
    • Director Orson Krennic played by Ben Mendelsohn. An “ambitious” Imperial officer, he’s hoping to catch the favor of the Emperor while not pissing off Darth Vader. Not an easy task.

I'm pretty excited with it so far. I'm hoping the grit of the trailer is thematic to the movie and that we get something a bit more... rougher than TFA. The line up looks fantastic and I'm kind of hoping that Jyn Erso actually ends up becoming Howlrunner​ as unlikely as that could be.

TheHolo.Net Admin
    OG Forum Overlord

AKA
    Holly
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Lilaena Steam ID: jainhollie
    OMG Alan Tudyk's character is a DROID this is going to be amazing.

He probably got the job because of his great work in iRobot

oh what a tangled web I weave

Intrigued to know what Krennic is Director of. The uniform makes me think ISB (like Yularen in ANH)... but an ISB Agent is a big part of Rebels, and his uniform is very different to anything from Rogue One so far. Would be surprised if they didn't tie the two together visually somehow... though maybe it'll be Rebels Season 3 providing that link.

Love the idea of Alan Tudyk voicing something from the HK-47 and 0-0-0 school of droids. Would not be surprised if I end up with another droid character once this movie comes out.

Really like the idea of the "a Jedi but without the powers" angle on Imwe, too.

Intrigued by the as-yet-unrevealed Forest Whitaker. The article I read said they were doing that reveal later today, and that fans are gonna know the name when they hear it. Knee jerk obvious guess is an unmasked Boba Fett (not sure if I love or hate the idea)... kinda wondering if he might be a Force user plucked from the EU though, since that's one of the missing pieces from the "typical EU Rebel team" stereotype. A race switched Rahm Kota maybe?
    It's like that, and that's the way it is.

TheHolo.Net Admin
    OG Forum Overlord

AKA
    Holly
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

He couldn't possibly be Boba Fett, Boba is a clone.

TheHolo.Net Poster

We'll settle this the old navy way; The first guy to die, LOSES!

AKA
    Jace
    Yeah, I know Boba Fett is a clone.

He's just the first thing that sprang to mind, is all. Boba Fett is an immensely popular character, and Rogue One is one of the only live action movie opportunities that Disney has to bring him back into play (unless they have him crawl out of the sarlacc again). He's not the right ethnicity (Maori rather than African-American), but he might be "close enough" as far as Hollywood is concerned... and even in the EU, Star Wars doesn't have all that many non-white characters that the audience might get excited about. The EW release said something about him not quite looking the way that people would expect, so unless they're taking a caucasian character from the EU and race-switching them (which is entirely possible)...?

*shrug*

It's not necessarily likely, but I wouldn't go as far as "couldn't possibly".

TheHolo.Net Admin
    OG Forum Overlord

AKA
    Holly
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

He's Grand Admiral Thrawn.

Huh. Apparently he is Saw Gerrera, a character from Clone Wars who led an anti-Separatist rebellion on Onderon?

I guess it's cool that we're getting an animated character in live action (and it sounds like they've been seeding little references to him in books and Rebels for a while), but not sure it's worth all the "special reveal" fanfare.

TheHolo.Net Admin

Baroness Scorpion #2

DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Jenny
    I suppose this means I need to finish watching Rebels.

He's only appeared in Clone Wars (opening story arc of Season 5, which is all about Onderon) - but he was referenced as part of Agent Kallus' backstory in a recent-ish Rebels episode.

Maybe not a surprise or new news, but James Earl Jones was confirmed for the voice of Darth Vader in an article I saw earlier today. That's refreshing.

^^^^

Totally had a "fan-girl" moment when I found that out. My wife just stared at me like I was crazy haha

TheHolo.Net Moderator

Stealing planets with a cunning use of flags!
    Has been a member for 5 years or longer Park Kraken's Avatar
    Highlight reel from Celebration with new scenes and cast, totally awesome!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUb_zpdyDpU

This movie definitely looks great so far and can't wait for the full length trailer to come out. Hopefully soon.

SW-Fans.Net Poster

A larrrge penjisss jisss alwajysss welcome!

AKA
    Charley
    Bothawui, or one of her many villas in the Carshoulis Cluster

I'm getting a lot of Mass Effect 2 feels with this movie and that is a great thing.

Excitement intensifies!

TheHolo.Net Poster

AKA
    Droo
    Gamer IDs

Steam ID: droogydroo
    It feels so different from any other Star Wars film we've ever seen before.

TheHolo.Net Admin

DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Christin
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: W4BSY Steam ID: ApexLupine
    That's what has me so excited, heh. This glimpse into a different style of story and different people in the Star Wars galaxy

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast