Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Nerdmas Plots: Alliance Senate & Government

TheHolo.Net Poster
    Has been a member for 5 years or longer
    AKA
    Geoffrey
    Thada could serve on Salem's committee, seeing as her other half is a minister in his own right.

Ulys Caed
    These appointments are...splendid I'm sure. There may be a question of their legal integrity that should be seen to. In order to dispel any notion as to their impropriety, of course.

TheHolo.Net Poster

AKA
    Jenny
    Minister Caed... I don't have an improper bone in my body.

TheHolo.Net Admin
    OG Forum Overlord

AKA
    Holly
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Lilaena Steam ID: jainhollie
    You simply improperly bone other bodies.

oh what a tangled web I weave

TheHolo.Net Poster

We'll settle this the old navy way; The first guy to die, LOSES!

AKA
    Jace
    Subcommittees!

For the Defense Subcommittee, Torrsk Oruo'rel would like at the very least to have -

• The Minister of State, since foreign affairs and defense policy go hand in hand.
    • The Minister of Security, since we are both tasked with keeping the Alliance safe.
    • A representative for the Hapes Consortium, and their Royal Navy.
    • A representative for the Cizerack Pride, and their Trade Fleet.
    • A representative for the Mon Calamari / Quarren, to represent their sector and it's navies.

If possible, I'd like to have an odd number of people (Torrsk included): so if one, three, or five other people feel they should be on there, chime in! Perhaps Naboo because of the Minister of Justice; perhaps Sluis Van because of their shipyards; perhaps Sullust because of their traditional place on the Alliance Advisory Council (and SoroSuub); perhaps Torque for Senator Stark's military experience; etc.

For the Military Supply Subcommittee (making sure the military has ships/etc), Tukphen would like to have -

• Thada Adel, because of the Free Dack Engineering Corps shipyards.
    • Taataani Meorrei, to represent the Cizerack Trade Fleet and Koensayr-Meorrei.
    • Niev Minetii, because of Sullustan industry and the SoroSuub Corporation.
    • Sekaj L'vehl, because of the major shipyards at Sluis Van.
    • A Hapan, representing the Hapan Royal navy.
    • A Bothan, representing Bothan industry, the SpyNet, etc.

With Thada and Taataani on there, it might be nice to have the junior Hapan and Bothan senators, a) to avoid overworking the senior senators, who are both Ministers; and b) to emphasise that this is a "less glamorous" committee. If we plan on doing research/development for new ships and new classes, the Senator for Clak'dor / Minister of Science would probably have a hand in this sort of thing. Also, Human Senator from Lantillies might be a good addition down the road, too.

For the Civil Supply Subcommittee (food/agriculture, health, labour, etc), I could use volunteers. Naboo, Bothan Jr, and Sullust would probably be on there. It might make sense to have Cizerack Sr because of the commerce/trade element of this. Senators / Representatives for worlds with large populations of immigrants / refugees might also be good people here: Sanctuary, Krant, Öetrago, New Alderaan, and Presbalin spring to mind. If we get a Senator for Malastare, they would almost certainly be in on this as well.

If any of the other Ministers want to start getting a handle on who is on their subcommittees too, I will start adding them to the lists! I'm personally planning a few threads that subcommittees will affect: some actual subcommitee meetings, some informal meetings with specific members of specific subcommittees, etc.

TheHolo.Net Poster

"I'm the General, and I want it to spin."

AKA
    Jace
    Bonus thought -

As part of integration / etc, the Hapan Royal Navy and the Cizerack Trade Fleet probably need to be factored into the Alliance Navy's hierarchy somewhere. However, you are both extremely isolationist and are not necessarily fond of your important people leaving the homeworld.

Would the Hapans and Cizerack have their military leaders participate in planning/etc via hologram, Jedi Council style? Would they trust one or other of their Senators to represent their military in the decision making process? Or would they appoint specific envoys/liaisons for that - perhaps the Pride Mother's primary husband (I forget the term); perhaps Aaron Belargic or Varon Farani?

Just curious, so I know who Torrsk and Vansen need to start establishing dynamics with, etc.

On behalf of the Chiss Ascendancy I would like to request a meeting with the senate to discuss future relations with the Alliance. Out two peoples need not be enemies.

TheHolo.Net Admin

Baroness Scorpion #2
    Lesbian Overlord of SWFans

DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Jenny
    Quote Originally Posted by Vansen Tyree View Post
    Subcommittees!

For the Defense Subcommittee, Torrsk Oruo'rel would like at the very least to have -

For the Military Supply Subcommittee (making sure the military has ships/etc), Tukphen would like to have -

was one of these roles what we discussed Aaron doing/being? I forget what his exact position was going to be.

TheHolo.Net Poster

AKA
    Jenny
    Quote Originally Posted by Stela'shlit'nuruodo View Post
    On behalf of the Chiss Ascendancy I would like to request a meeting with the senate to discuss future relations with the Alliance. Out two peoples need not be enemies.
    An excellent idea.

TheHolo.Net Admin
    OG Forum Overlord

AKA
    Holly
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Lilaena Steam ID: jainhollie
    What committees are the subcommittees under? Shouldn't they just be called committees?

It depends on how you view it.

One could argue that the Cabinet of Ministers (or whatever we call it) is a committee. They are the ones who come up with a proposal for Alliance policy, which they then present to the Senate for ratification and debate. Presumably, when the Minister of Supply goes off to discuss military supply issues with his advisors/etc, he then brings that decision back to the larger Cabinet/committee for their review - the military supply subcommittee wouldn't necessarily propose straight to the Senate.

Alternatively, there might actually be committees that they are sub- to. Military Supply and Civil Supply are clearly both under the Minister of Supply; perhaps he has a Supply Committee also. Perhaps the Defense Subcommittee is one of several subcommittees that fall under a War Council / Military Oversight Committee / etc that looks at the military, Intel/Security, and other issues. Presumably, the "Joint Chiefs" factor in somewhere as well.

Or, we could just be constructive and focus on who is part of the committees for now, and nitpick about the names later.
    It's like that, and that's the way it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Dasquian Belargic View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Vansen Tyree View Post
    Subcommittees!

was one of these roles what we discussed Aaron doing/being? I forget what his exact position was going to be.
    For the Defense option, I think it needs to be a Senator. The Hapans are part of that group because a) they're one of the largest member-powers in the Alliance, and b) they have their own military. The person on that Council needs to be someone who can not only speak on behalf of the Navy, but also on behalf of the government.

Similarly, Military Supply is less about the actual physical ships, and more about things like building new ships. The person there needs to be in a position to authorise things like letting Alliance R&D get their hands on the specifications for stuff, to approve funding for building X ships to give to the Y Sector, etc. That seems like the sort of thing that the Hapans wouldn't let a man, let alone Aaron Belargic, do.

However, this -

Quote Originally Posted by Torrsk Oruo'rel View Post
    Would the Hapans and Cizerack have their military leaders participate in planning/etc via hologram, Jedi Council style? Would they trust one or other of their Senators to represent their military in the decision making process? Or would they appoint specific envoys/liaisons for that - perhaps the Pride Mother's primary husband (I forget the term); perhaps Aaron Belargic or Varon Farani?
    - is the sort of thing that Aaron might be involved in. Aaron might be the... Hapan liaison to the "Joint Chiefs", as opposed to being their representative on government / spending committees. I think we talked about him working as part of Vansen's military hierarchy, rather than within government... though I imagine the Minister of Defense would interact with him a lot, if only to avoid having to talk to Senators about military stuff.

Royston Basillie
    Kyzer could act as a junior senator for Onderon. Previously we tossed around the idea of him being the primary senator, as the cousin of the Queen. He operates within a unique position as he is on very good terms with the Beast Rider community and often represents them in Iziz. He could function as an assistant to Salem, potentially filling in for him if his position as Minister of State prevents him from fulfilling both duties. Or whatever. Just thought I'd throw it out there. No skin off my Drexl.
    Last edited by Royston Basillie; Jan 20th, 2014 at 01:05:26 PM.

Rurrick Grov
    Onderon only gets one Senator (just one system, not a sector), which presumably needs to be Salem because of him being the Minister of State and what not... but I imagine his work (and his "other" activities) takes him away a fair bit, so having someone who can be his proxy as needed seems smart.

Would Kyzer make sense as a sort of... Representative for the Beast Riders, the way Jar Jar was Representative for the Gungans? If Jar Jar can bring motions before the Senate on behalf of Naboo, that seems like a pretty solid precedent for a Senate proxy?

Royston Basillie
    He could definitely function in that capacity.

SW-Fans.Net Poster

A larrrge penjisss jisss alwajysss welcome!

AKA
    Charley
    Bothawui, or one of her many villas in the Carshoulis Cluster
    Quote Originally Posted by Torrsk Oruo'rel View Post
    That sort of thing would be an appointment the Pride Mother would decree, rather than a Senator since the Trade Navy runs directly under her authority. Her Emissary could perform that task, or she could appoint an Admiral.

Quote Originally Posted by Stela'shlit'nuruodo View Post
    Thought that popped into my head earlier: ordinarily, when you see the EU or RP groups forge an alliance between the Chiss and someone else (Empire or otherwise), it's because the Empire/Alliance/what-have-you needs help, and the Chiss swoop in like some sort of heroic cavalry. It certainly fits with the arrogance of the Chiss, but it usually means that most of the action happens with Chiss coming into familiar space, without so much exploration of the more unfamiliar/interesting Ascendancy regions.

What if we flipped it on it's head, and rather than the Empire or Alliance approaching the Chiss for help... it's the Chiss that need back-up? A fair chunk of that region of the galaxy is riddled with Killiks, who abandoned Alderaan/Alsakan/etc and moved out there. I never read much of the Swarm War stuff in EU, but the Killik played a big part in the Alderaan levels in SWTOR, and they were pretty frikkin' cool, particularly with the mind control shenanigans that the Imperial Agent encounters.

What if the Chiss have done something to antagonise the Killiks, and have broken their usual isolationism because they badly need help? That gives us not just a potential ally, but also a potential enemy: one who will probably be pissed as hell at the Empire for destroying their ancestral homeworld (Alderaan).

Just a thought, anyhow - "lets be friends, and can you help me with my bug problem?" might make for some bonus plot opportunities.

The Chiss have more than just Bug problems. With the Drackmarians, Ssi' ruuk, Kilik, and Vagaari were constantly fighting someone. And the Infighting is a constant. there is a reason we all seem pissed off when we meet others.

TheHolo.Net Admin

Baroness Scorpion #2
    Lesbian Overlord of SWFans

DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Jenny
    Does anyone object if I make a senator for Umbara?

Umbara seems to be in Alliance territory, according to the new atlas that Cap made

It's not far from Onderon

I object-

-ify woman. I am a horrible person.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast