Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567

Thread: Nerdmas Plots: Alliance Senate & Government

In that case, what shall I add you in as in the post - Ambassador, Representative, or Senator?
    It's like that, and that's the way it is.

TheHolo.Net Poster
    Has been a member for 5 years or longer
    AKA
    Vince
    Gamer IDs

Steam ID: vinceisgreat
    That's what I forgot!

Looking at it in terms of maths and geography and such:
    • In Post #2 at the moment there are 50 Senators, four of which are the 2nd Senators for Bothan/Cizerack/Hapan/Mon Calamari Space. If Tell Cho is a Senator, he would be the 51st.
    • There are five other refugeeish worlds in Alliance Space that I can think of off the top of my head. Three of them (New Alderaan, Presbalin, Öetrago) are represented by Senators; the other two (Sanctuary, Krinemonen III) are not. It's worth noting that those first three are refugee worlds for Alderaanians, Corellians, and Ithorians respectively; the other two are located in Mon Calamari space, so the whole "Mon Calamari Space is only allowed two Senators" stipulation is in effect.
    • New Alderaan, Abyss, B'Trilla, Carshoulis (x2), Chad, Dac (x2), Elom, Gand, Mirial, Presbalin, Quermia, Torque, and Vorzyd all have Senators are all in that top "slightly darker red" zone, under the protection of the Alliance 2nd Fleet. That's already 30% of our Senators in that one region.
    • There is no Senator at all in the Auril Sector (where Ossus is). The sector also contains Murkhana, Nespis VIII, and Dal'demnic (homeworld of the Kon'me).
      The nearest Senators are on Chad and Abyss, both of which are big homeworlds.
    • Ossus is one of the closest Alliance(ish) worlds to the Tion Cluster, which is an "Imperial holdout" (for lack of a better term).

On the one hand, Senator Cho might be overkill: there are a lot of Senators in that neck of the woods already, and if Ossus gets a Senator and nearby worlds with larger populations don't, that might seem odd. On the other hand, Ossus is in a very strategically important position, and being a Senator in the Auril Sector might make Tell Cho something of a de facto Ambassador in stories dealing with the Tion Cluster... which is something Charley and I have backburner wants to do at some point. Being a Senator would also give Tell Cho a cadre of political underlings: given the position he had within the Corporate Sector, he'd certainly be quite qualified to be that kind of senior politician type person.

On the third hand (I guess we're a Besalisk or something), Tell Cho is affiliated with the Jedi; and as a Senator, he'd be another Jedi in a significant political position in amongst all of the stuff regarding General Dan and s'Ilancy. That might be problematic, because the Alliance might have some big problems continuing to trust him despite his contributions to the Alliance this far... that might be a dealbreaker, or it just might mean the story is more juicy.

tl;dr - if you want lots of political intrigue and possible Tion Cluster stuff, go Senator; if you want moderate intrigue without playing "a larger role" in politics outside of Ossus, go Representative; and if you want to avoid absolutely everything except Jedi and Gossam stuff (ie. you don't want to take part in Senate discussions or political business unless they directly relate to Ossus), go Ambassador.

They're all pretty cool options, and I think they all fit fairly well-ish with what everyone else on Ossus is leaning towards?

TheHolo.Net Admin
    OG Forum Overlord

AKA
    Holly
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Lilaena Steam ID: jainhollie
    Isn't Tell Cho representing his people, not "Ossus" (the Jedi aren't politically a part of the senate and the Ysanna are not advanced enough)?

oh what a tangled web I weave

TheHolo.Net Poster

AKA
    Droo
    Gamer IDs

Steam ID: droogydroo
    http://theholo.net/forum/showthread....-Year-10/page2

Check out the last few posts in this thread. Ossus is what would have senate representation, not the Jedi. On top of the growing Gossam population, I expect Ossus will start to be repopulated. It's not like the Jedi's existance or location is a secret anymore - it's safe behind Alliance borders. With that in mind, there's no reason for the planet to be an exclusively Jedi location anymore.

TheHolo.Net Admin
    OG Forum Overlord

AKA
    Holly
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Lilaena Steam ID: jainhollie
    Oh yes, it's coming back to me now.

Quote Originally Posted by Droo View Post
    http://theholo.net/forum/showthread....-Year-10/page2

Check out the last few posts in this thread. Ossus is what would have senate representation, not the Jedi. On top of the growing Gossam population, I expect Ossus will start to be repopulated. It's not like the Jedi's existance or location is a secret anymore - it's safe behind Alliance borders. With that in mind, there's no reason for the planet to be an exclusively Jedi location anymore.
    Further to Droo's point, a bit of food for thought / added flavour for you Jedi folks.

The four refugee worlds that I've stumbled across thus far each have a different flavour of refugee. New Alderaan is the surrogate home for Alderaanian culture, so one might presume it's a pretty peaceful, artistic, humany sort of place. The reason Leadra Longstar is down as the Senator for Presbalin is that we wanted to have a lot of Corellian Sector refugees on that world - Corellians, Duros, Selonians, and so on; more of a rugged, spacer sort of vibe. Krinemonen III is a mostly aquatic world, and is filled with mostly aquatic refugees. And then Sanctuary is sorta "the" refugee world for the Alliance, one of the oldest, so it's probably got a pretty interesting mix of different races and different cultures all blended together.

That might mean that anyone who decides to settle down on Ossus might have a different personality. They might be very spiritual people. They might be people feel that the peace treaty with the Empire means that the Alliance has given up on the "to Restore the Republic" part, and want to hang out with the Jedi because it's a reassuring reminder of the past. They might be people who don't like the Empire, but who don't like the Alliance either because "they're terrorists", and it's easier to believe that the Jedi are the "good guys" than the Alliance is. They might be something else entirely, or all of the above.

Something you guys might have fun thinking about, at any rate. But of extra flavour as the settlement grows and such.

SW-Fans.Net Poster

As Auditor-General of the Corporate Sector Authority, I hereby order all food chains to make their bantha burgers with bacon... ... ...I can do that, right? I can't? You're fired.
    AKA
    Vince
    Blog Entries
    I'm thinking I like the intrigue and the juiciness of the Alliance eyeing Cho and feeling that he's gathering a lot of power very rapidly; in an oblique way, it plays into Ben's 'current' arc pretty well. While Representative could work in that way too, 'Senator' packs more of a punch, and now I have an idea for Cho arc.

Let's go with Senator, unless IC circumstances determine that Ossus won't have a Senator, in which case, he'll probably be a Representative.

Added you in as a Senator on the first page, assuming no objections.

Bit of a tweak!

Because of the Jovan Station being moved out of the Gordian Reach, and the fact that the Empire isn't nearly so prominent there as a result, there's not as much politically important stuff going on there anymore (just frontier, agriworlds, mining worlds, backwater races, etc), and thus not much need for multiple Senators.

I have shuffled Kelvin Stark over to the Elrood Sector, and Sarah will be writing Leeadra Longstar as the Senator for the Gordian Reach as a whole with a cadre of Representatives for specific worlds: the idea being to develop / gentrify / evolve the region as an ongoing series of storylines and things.

Shuffles made accordingly to the list on the front page.

TheHolo.Net Poster

Well, hello there.

As you will see from my profile I date from a long time ago and have been inactive for some time. You will also see that, back in the day, I took an interest in the political side of the (old) New Republic.

I am giving some thought to the possibility of taking on the role of the Senator from Lantillies but I do not wish to stampede in and mess things up for anyone. So, I am putting down a marker here to indicate my interest and starting a separate thread to use as a way of getting some feedback/guidance/pointers/help on how this might (or might not) proceed and why.

(Link to the other thread: http://www.sw-fans.net/forum/showthr...51#post1030451.)
    Last edited by Alexi Hesith; Nov 12th, 2014 at 04:35:07 PM.
    You can't help all of the people all of the time.
    So you try to help all of them some of the time and hope that is enough.

TheHolo.Net Poster

Thanks to those of you who looked at the other thread. To those who took the time to comment thanks for the support. Also, to those of you who read and did not comment, thanks for not screaming "Oh God, no! Him again!" (or at least not typing that you had done so) as I feared might happen.

I think I can make a decent hash of senatoring again so I would like to sign up Alexi Hesith as the Senator from Lantillies.

If you want to throw yourself into the A Slimy Businessman (OOC) thread, feel free! Lantillies is definitely a fit with the other groups represented there.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567