Thread: (Dis)Honest Jobs: Gun Runners [Ned]

TheHolo.Net Poster

flying a starship is no different than riding a bicycle, just a lot harder to put smashball cards in the spokes!

Has been a member for 5 years or longer
    AKA
    Vince
    Take me out to the black, Tell them I ain't comin' back, You can't take the sky from me.

Rebel - Closed (Dis)Honest Jobs: Gun Runners [Ned]

Contruum - 10.098

"Okay. Let's get a look at this planet."

Ben Merasska, captain of the Ghtroc-720 class freighter Alderaan, hit the 'drop' button on the side of hull and felt the shift as the hydraulics lowered them down and allowed a bright, intense light to filter in, and both he and his first mate caught their first glimpse of the planet of Contruum. And as far as it went, he found it likeable.

The view outside was a picturesque view of the mountain range and the valleys, striped with rivers and streams, with a huge forest spanning almost the entire panorama. Hell, he could even see a waterfall in the distance. Breaking the short spell cast on him by the scene, he glanced down at a chronometer and started pushing the small speeder (a model used by port authorities to cart around heavy loads via an attached hoversled) off the lift and motioned for Ned, his first mate, to start the thing up.

"Shuvin, speak to me," he said into his commlink. He glanced up to the cockpit and saw their third crew member, for the moment waving.

"Gotcha loud and clear, Ben," the young Togruta piped back, still waving her hand at them.

"We'll be back in..." he paused and glanced at Ned. She mouthed something at him, and he tried to parse it out. "Fif... fifteen? Oh. No, wait. Fifty. We'll be back in fifty standard. Hopefully with cargo and a destination. Keep an eye out, will ya?"

"Surely will, Captain!" Shuvin said brightly, causing Ben to grin and nod. He slid behind the wheel of the speeder and pressed the ignition switch (a safety feature added to reduce litigation due to accidentally pressing the button that had been standard before). The speeder hummed to life and he turned to Ned, who held a wide-screened datapad with a satellite and topographical map with the coordinates of their destination on it, and their position, signified by a goofy Biscuit Baron head.

"All right, Ned. Ready when you are. Tell me where we're going."

Enedra Myrrhe
    "Apparently we're following the Biscuit Baron on his newest adventure..." she replied dryly, one corner of her lips quirking upwards despite her best efforts to quell the expression. While the Biscuit Baron was distinctly not the original indicator the program had come equipped with, it amused Shuvin and Ben to no end.

Who was she to argue? Well, Ned would, normally, but if it kept them happy to play with the Biscuit Baron and the Blue Cobble Road showing the best route, so be it.

At least it wasn't the singing Jawa this time.

Or the dancing rancor.

She'd take the small victories when she could get them.

A sigh escaped her lips as she looked up from the display, dark eyes taking in the landscape once more. It was almost a pity they had no time to take in the sights. Contruum almost reminded her of home - and as that planet was strictly off limits, this one would have been nice to explore for a while. But work summoned...and with this many credits on the line, it wouldn't do to be late.

"Northeast on that road there for six klicks, before we turn off onto a side road that leads into what looks like either the Baron's secret lair or an industrial sector. I'll shift it over to the detailed schematic when we get there." Enedra nodded as she got up on the speeder behind Ben. She freed one hand from the display to wave to Shuvin and then to hang on as the speeder took off.

TheHolo.Net Poster

flying a starship is no different than riding a bicycle, just a lot harder to put smashball cards in the spokes!

Has been a member for 5 years or longer
    AKA
    Vince
    Take me out to the black, Tell them I ain't comin' back, You can't take the sky from me.
    "Right!" he said, putting the landspeeder into gear and setting off along the large dirt path that he figured was the road. It threaded its way down and into the valley, and almost five kilometers out, habitation could be seen in the distance: large silos and buildings surrounded by a network of latticed fields, some meant for livestock, and most meant for farming.

There was a small town just off the road and just out of the way of their route, half a kilometer from their turn-off. Ned gestured, and Ben turned, before stopping abruptly.

A group of armed men and aliens stood guard over a very primitive turn-pike, and one, a lean Zeltron that somehow still managed to look grizzled stepped forward.

"Whatcher business?" he asked, keeping his blaster rifle pointed to the ground and his finger off the trigger, but it was clear he was well prepared to draw and fire.

"Come to pick up some cargo," Ben answered, keeping his eyes studiously on the Zeltron and not his gun. "A little further up the way."

He pointed and noticed the guard didn't even glance in that direction. He only nodded, spat, and gestured for one of the others to come forward.

"Is there a problem?" he asked. The Zeltron gave him a small look before speaking again.

"Mister Von Metzger don't let anyone in his factory what doesn't work for him," he answered. The man he'd summoned hopped on the back of their speeder. "Jullan here will be able to get ya in."

"Does Mister Metzger have a lot of enemies?" he asked. The Zeltron shrugged.

"Most people in these parts don't mind him. He keeps to himself and pays those of us who work for him. But not everyone wishes to see him grow old an' grey, if'n you take my meaning."

Ben nodded, and the Zeltron waved them through the now open turn-pike.

Enedra Myrrhe
    The woman decided that it would simply be best if she remained silent. A fantastic development Ben would likely not allow to go unnoticed or unremarked upon for very long. An uncharacteristic smile almost curled her lips as her gaze left the motley crew before them in favor of a glance over her shoulder. As they passed through the barely parted motley crew, she twisted at the waist and watched them as Ben drove through.

Ned shook her head as the gates closed behind them, turning back to flick her fingers over the display. It zoomed in and showed a more detailed route through the complex, highlighted by a blue cobble pattern and a bouncing Biscuit Baron to indicate their position.

Julian leaned over her shoulder, close enough for her to surmise that a toothbrush was not part of his daily routine. A mere arch of a sculpted brow accompanied her query. "Should we keep to this route, or are you going to give us a different one?"

"Nah, that one's right. Stick to it." Julian grinned, displaying a grin that gave credence to her toothbrush-less theory.

Ned wrinkled her nose briefly, timing the elbow she used to push him back into the cargo cart perfectly with a sharp turn Ben took to stay on the route. It didn't take long to reach their destination - a sketchy looking warehouse at the end of a small maze of paths and streets that were far too narrow for her liking. Her instincts didn't like it at all, and as she flicked the pad over into scanning mode her gaze discreetly scanned the various vantage points.

Jullan hopped off the speeder and swaggered up to the warehouse, and pulled open the huge door, showing a remarkably clean and organized interior by any standards, not merely compared to the outside appearance. There were a few workers inside, polishing and fitting together pieces of blasters, and moving them into large crates.

At the top of a catwalk within was a man in high end clothing that seemed well worn and used. He was speaking with a burly Nautolan, who pointed down to the three newcomers below.

"Mister von Metzger," Jullan called, but the man cut him off.

"Ah! So you've arrived." He said loudly to be heard over the background noise. He trotted over to the stairs and down, before settling into a long-gaited walk to them. Ben got the sense that the man was one of those intense types who threw themselves into whatever task they had set themselves.

"Master Merasska," the man said, bowing and extending his hand. "I am Sarin von Metzger, and this is von Metzger Weapons and Munitions. And this must be the enchanting Miss Ned you spoke of in our correspondence, correct?"

Ben, looking visibly bemused, took Sarin's hand and shook it while nodding. Sarin didn't hold the greeting for long, but extended his hand to Ned as well.

"Very good. You've shown up quite on time, and I'm glad for it," von Metzger said. "Your shipment is, rather obviously now, a large number of weapons. Blaster rifles, pistols, and various grenades and propelled explosives and their launchers. All of it is separated and sealed, so there will be no danger in transporting it. All told there will be about two tonnes of goods to be transported. Shall we say fifteen thousand credits? A fair offer, no?"

The captain nodded.

"Take that up with Ned," Merasska replied. "I want to check the goods, and make sure everything's there."

The Captain turned away, but murmured something to his first mate; it was meant to be unheard, but they were unaware of his excellent hearing.

"Try and bring it up to 22,000," he said. "See if there'll be complications. This many weapons means a war of some kind."

Metzger made no sign he'd heard the exchange, and smiled at the woman while Merasska walked over to the crates and began inspecting them.