Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 LastLast

Thread: Improving the Forums

Proprietor / Admin
    AKA
    Ogre / Chris
    A suggestion that stands out to me that I like and which needs some more clarification is the one about a post commenting system.

I could probably mod the DB and the thread display to make such a system possible but I need some ideas on how it should look and function.

I was thinking about a couple of possible methods of using and accessing a commenting system.

Each post in a thread could have an icon that leads to a comment about that individual post, which could be self contained on its own page. The second idea I had was that each user profile could lead to a page that contained all post comments for that user and had a way to tie it in with each post.

Such a system is not going to be simple to create and implement but more ideas on functionality and asthetics would be helpful.

TheHolo.Net Poster

Has been a member for 5 years or longer

Sitting in a high-backed chair doing some plotting.
    I first encountered the idea on a fanfic website a friend of mine put me on to.

The authour/thread initiator places a link marked "Review" at the end of the story. People click on it and are taken to a thread in a review forum. The authour states in the first thread "Review please" to make it all nice and "legal" as it were. Sometimes they add "what did people think of my characterisation/ description/ action/ humour?" or something similar. Then people simply post their comments.

If I recall they have rules about the tone of reviews and mods prevent all the usual stuff like personal attacks. Generally they have a good, constructive atmosphere.

I would suggest that you create a subforum of OOC (or whatever takes its place) and leave the linking to thread initiators. It would probably be best to limit threads being reviewed to those that have been completed.

On another topic, the creative forum idea. I love it. And I thought I would suggest that the creative challenges could be related to the stories being played out IC. For example create a "poster" for the present boardwide story arc (if we have one) at the staff's request or a particular thread in or out of the arc at the request of the initiator.

Master Yoghurt
    That would be incredible useful.

If youre going for simple and functional, you could have number in paranthesis in small font size. The number indicates the amount of comments made for that post and links directly to the comments page. Once you click the link, you can read all the comments made (if any), and post your own comment.

Proprietor / Admin
    AKA
    Ogre / Chris
    Originally posted by Tiberius Anar
    I would suggest that you create a subforum of OOC (or whatever takes its place) and leave the linking to thread initiators. It would probably be best to limit threads being reviewed to those that have been completed.
    I was thinking more along the lines of a commenting system per "post" not really a "review" thread system. I would also prefer not to have an additional forum as part of the implementation. I like less clutter myself. I appreciate the idea. All ideas have value.

Originally posted by Master Yoghurt
    That would be incredible useful.

If youre going for simple and functional, you could have number in paranthesis in small font size. The number indicates the amount of comments made for that post and links directly to the comments page. Once you click the link, you can read all the comments made (if any), and post your own comment.
    Numbers in each post with the number of comments for it...Good idea and it would only add a single simple count query......hmmm, though it may add a simple count query for each post in a thread....Don't think that idea will fly as it would create too may queries per thread page. Good idea though, keep 'em coming.

TheHolo.Net Poster

Sitting in a high-backed chair doing some plotting.
    Originally posted by SWFans.Net
    I would also prefer not to have an additional forum as part of the implementation. I like less clutter myself.
    I defer to your judgment and needs.

Master Yoghurt
    Hmm.. ok, lets see. In that case, I would probably go for a clickable icon, like you mentioned. Instead, there would be 2 types of icons. One for when there are comments made, and one for when no comments have been made, possibly even a third, for when there are comments unread (although, I guess that would add too much DB stress). The important thing is the reader knows when a comment has been made to the post or not.

Edit: Actually, thats still a DB query for every post. I have another idea that might fix that..

At every thread page, you have a numbered link. The link leads to a comment page for the thread. That way you solve the DB query problem (only one query per page), and posters can comment on a roleplay without editing in OOC remarks or through private message.

Edit 2: Ok, so you want comment system per post. Ack, I will get back to you when I figured it out.

Proprietor / Admin
    AKA
    Ogre / Chris
    I actually had an idea that would add no queries to the thread display and would make a comment icon appear only if there are any comments for that post, if there aren't any, then no icon in that post.

It would require an additional field in the post table, but should do the trick.

What to use for a "comment" icon....

Master Yoghurt
    Originally posted by SWFans.Net
    I actually had an idea that would add no queries to the thread display and would make a comment icon appear only if there are any comments for that post, if there aren't any, then no icon in that post
    Ok, that would work neatly

What to use for a "comment" icon....
    A talking bubble? An exclamation mark? A lightbulb? Something small and simple I guess.

TheHolo.Net Admin
    OG Forum Overlord

AKA
    Holly
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Lilaena Steam ID: jainhollie
    A dancing Yoda.

TheHolo.Net Admin
    OG Forum Overlord

AKA
    Holly
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Originally posted by Lady Vader
    It was all i could find... http://www.geocities.co.jp/Hollywood...yoda_dance.gif
    This link does not have a dancing yoda in it. Disappointed I am!

SWFans.Net Poster

catwimmin for teh win!

It... doesn't? O_o

But... there's a dancing Yoda on my screen when i click it...

TheHolo.Net Poster

Proof that not all people who draw anatomically correct anthropomorphic animals are furries. Or... is he?

AKA
    Mitch. Duh.
    Okay, having been horrendously busy for a week, and then gone for another, I have totally missed this thread and idea that we will be resetting and whatnot.

As interesting of an idea as it is, it is 100% not compatible with the way I play. If it is fully initiated, I'm afraid I will only be finishing out the RP's I have going now, and not venturing into--or starting--any new ones.

I've worked for years to slowly and realistically build my characters and their world, and I was under the impression that that's what a lot of people here liked about my writing. This new format would nearly obliterate my ability to create and structure as I do now. Yes, I know I've been slow lately, but IRL comes first, I always thought.

I am not in favor of the new format, as fresh and exciting as it may be. I mean, how long after it gets implemented will it too slow and die just like massive group RP's that are started from time to time? I just see it being a "good idea at the time" but not a worthwhile solution. While I would like RPs to move long at a decent pace and be concluded, I hardly think that a yearly track timeline is the way to do it. Sometimes you just can't force creativity.

So, yeah, if this goes into effect, I'll be keenly interested in finishing up my threads and then leave. It's been fun while it has lasted, but I have no interest in this new format. Besides, when it all boils down to it, if I'd continue on into the new format, all I'd end up with are padawans. Sure, padawans who have been around for longer than some knights, but padawans nonetheless. I know we can keep whatever we have now, but, put yourself in my shoes: do you want to have to compete with other padawans for attention after you've ALREADY been one for two, maybe three years? I highly doubt it.

SW-Fans.Net Admin

Good but Damaged Goods

DragonCon 09
    I don't see any reason why you couldn't fit in like everyone else is going to? While it's admirable that you've continued being a Padawan for three years, the way you've played your characters is a large part of that. GJO's staff has been waiting for you to say "ok Sejah has matured enough!" for the past year and a half. There isn't any reason you couldn't have a Padawn on the brink of promotion at the start of everything. If you feel you're incapable of roleplaying in a new timeline, we're going to miss you, but there are many of us that are tired of the 6 years of accumulated dogma the current setting has.
    I am not in favor of the new format, as fresh and exciting as it may be. I mean, how long after it gets implemented will it too slow and die just like massive group RP's that are started from time to time? I just see it being a "good idea at the time" but not a worthwhile solution. While I would like RPs to move long at a decent pace and be concluded, I hardly think that a yearly track timeline is the way to do it. Sometimes you just can't force creativity.
    There aren't going to be massive group RPs because they don't work. However, we now have logical freedom of association. I know one of my characters is going to be working with the Fleet Roleplayers because it makes sense! My other character will be largely determined by what happens on the board, maybe. There aren't the same logical restrictions for either IC or OOC association, and the only dogma we'll have is in the plotline we've cooked up, and Lucas's.

TheHolo.Net Admin
    OG Forum Overlord

AKA
    Holly
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Sejah, as a moderator, I wouldn't have a problem if you decided you wanted two Knights. Both Sejah and J'ktal are worthy characters, and you have certainly proven your worth as an RPer.

When it comes to the Nehantites and their storied history, I don't see that any of that would arbitrarily have to change. During the Purge certainly a few Jedi might have found their way into hiding on Nehantite (maybe!) and started a small enclave there, hidden from the Empire on a solidly neutral planet. There are many ways you could include most of the history you have RPed already.

I would be heartbroken if you left RPing.

edit:

How about a capped gallery available only to supporters? (still trying to figure out how to get the creative forums to work well) If we zip the files, and have the links to them in the supporter forum (on yousendit.com or something) that should work. We'd want our artists to buy gallery space anyway.

Master Yoghurt
    Originally posted by Lilaena De'Ville How about a capped gallery available only to supporters? (still trying to figure out how to get the creative forums to work well) If we zip the files, and have the links to them in the supporter forum (on yousendit.com or something) that should work. We'd want our artists to buy gallery space anyway.
    That would probably work. As a side note, there are hundreds if not thousands of fansites who use caps from the movies without any trouble.

TheHolo.Net Admin
    OG Forum Overlord

AKA
    Holly
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Originally posted by Master Yoghurt
    As a side note, there are hundreds if not thousands of fansites who use caps from the movies without any trouble.
    exactly my point that no one seemed to get. Thank you.

Dark Lord Rivin
    In my opinion, this project will be more likely to drive people away and keep the new people away. I know that once this is in effect I will no longer be RPing here. I have spent too much time building my characters to where they are now, and I do not feal that this new way will allow me to have my characters the way I want them. I have too much backstory for my characters that doing anything out of the timeline we are currently in would just not work.

As for why I think this will keep people away, It is confusing! I understand the concept but I don't understand how this will solve anything. Putting more restrictions on people, randomly changing the setting on people, and trying to force them to post quickly is not the way to get people to join.

So as of the start of this RP Season method, The following characters will be gone from the RP section of this board.

Shanaria Fabool, Leten Snat, Dark Lord Rivin, Rasha Vill, Ida Knoe, Rena D'sor, Random Person, Thug, Lord Talzen, Dillin Gack, Darth Bubbles, Neyasha, Valora Ashen, Audrie X-4, Aurora Silvin and likely a few others I can't remember at this moment.

I hope I'm wrong about this new way and wish you the best of luck with it, but that way of RPing is just not for me.

TheHolo.Net Admin

Baroness Scorpion #2
    Lesbian Overlord of SWFans

DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Jenny
    Randomly changing the setting? We've already stated that the setting is going to be announced on a regular basis, and that the members of the board will have a direct input on what the setting is going to be. It's hardly like the staff are just springing a new setting when you least expect it.

Also, no one is being forced to post quickly. You can post at whatever speed you like. A year is a pretty long time, so it's not as if you're going to be rushed for time.

As for putting restrictions on people, I don't see this either. If anything, we're removing restrictions. People are being given the opportunity to make a character of any kind, with the ability to transfer rank onto new characters or re-tool old characters into something completely different.

The whole concept of training is, at least within the Jedi, being reorganized to something far less formal and much more dependent on good old fashioned storytelling rather than churning out training threads. People aren’t going to be forced into groups just so that they can get progress through the ranks, and with the seasonal changes there’s no need to go through the repetitive motions of training up a new character to a rank you’ve already spent months/years achieving, because you can just carry it over from last year.

Rasha Vill
    --Story arcs are approximately a year in length. We vote towards the end of the year on the next all-encompassing story.

--Story arcs may or may not include years resets. We are at the very least doing ONE reset and it will take place in the next week or so.
    That sound like a random sorta thing

As for putting restrictions on people, I don't see this either. If anything, we're removing restrictions. People are being given the opportunity to make a character of any kind, with the ability to transfer rank onto new characters or re-tool old characters into something completely different.
    I'm sorry, but I think I miss worded my statment. By restrictions I was meening the Forcing people ether like the storyline that was chosen, or sit on the side lines. It dosen't sound like you are giving people the freedom to do what they want, and (in my opinon) not giving people the time they need to develop a character in to an individual with their own quirk, flaws, and history. And Really a year is not all that long compaired to the time some people like to take to build their characters.

This may work for some people but not for me.

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 LastLast