Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast

Thread: MLB 2003 Playoffs

JMK
    I don't know, these guys are pros. If they have to be motivated by their manager to win on their sport's largest stage then they probably don't deserve to be there at all. These guys should have their pride on the line and if they just roll over and let the A's walk all over them then it would be pretty clear that playoffs mean little to them and it's all about their paycheck.

That being said, if the Sox lose game 3, Grady Little probably will get fired. Sad but true. He's got a good lineup, decent starting pitching but a bad bullpen. If the players are going to stop executing once the playoffs arrive, then it's their fault, not the manager's. But it's easier to fire one manager than it is to trade 25 guys.

Marlins and Cubs both win to take control of their series'.

Poor Maddox. He actually pitched a solid game. He's now 11-14 in the postseason. The guy never catches a break. Prior was PHENOMENAL tonight. I think Wood is coming back for game 4. The Braves have their work cut out for them.

JMK
    I can't believe this kid 2-hit the Braves. Even more surprising is the Braves committing FOUR errors. What's up with that? If Wood does indeed pitch game 4 the Braves are in REAL deep.

Sene Unty
    The Marlins won...the Marlins won...what an ending! The Marlins won...*does happy dance

SW-Fans.Net Poster

I might return to RPing if those scrumptious Gue twins would come back. Figrin Sandwich, am I right?
    Has been a member for 5 years or longer

Matt Clement is scheduled to pitch Game 4 for the Cubs, with Russ Ortiz going for Atlanta. I suppose it's possible that, if Dusty Baker feels that the Braves are on the ropes, he'll send Wood out. I think he'd rather save him for a Game 5 situation, though, with the extra couple days of rest.

The really interesting aspect to all this is, even in Game Two, Zambrano was holding down the Braves lineup pretty well. They just got a couple of timely hits after a couple of walks. With Wood and Prior dominating Games 1 and 3, the Cubs pitching staff is just scary good right now. And both Wood and Prior have said that their starts were no where near their best games.

The Cubs have to start driving in runs, though. I mean, how many times in these first three games have they had runners in scoring position with 0 or 1 out, and have failed to plate anyone?

Prior was unbelievable today. Also about the Sox. Little contract is out at the end of the season and this guy was hired by the previous managment. Epstein might want a new face. And the person I suspect might be Valentine since he is available. Of course they have to lose Game 3 I pray they win they could still come back I think its possible.

SW-Fans.Net Poster

I might return to RPing if those scrumptious Gue twins would come back. Figrin Sandwich, am I right?

We could potentially see three of the four divison series end on Saturday. I have a feeling that the Red Sox are going to win Game 3, and at least push that series into Sunday.

The Giants and Braves, though, are exhibiting a classic failing of teams that have tremendous regular season success. Because they both clinched their division titles so early, neither team has really had to play a truely meaninful game over the 3 weeks of the season. The Cubs and Marlins had to fight and claw in that last week of the season to clinch playoff spots, and they have that experience of being recent do-or-die situations. Chicago and Florida seem to have that fire needed to win in the postseason, while Atlanta and San Francisco are finding it difficult to get themselves prepared to play two teams that peaked at the right time of the season.

I'm going to be bold and predict that the NLCS will be set by the end of Saturday.

JMK
    Atlanta had the NL East wrapped up sometime in late July. They hadn't played a meaningful game for months.

As far as managers go for the Sox should they fire Little, I think they would wait until after the WS ends and see who gets the axe. Personally I don't think they would bring in Bobby Valentine. I have a mathematical equation to explain why:
    (Valentine x his temper) + Ornery Boston Media = disaster

Pretty simple huh?

The Marlins victory today was unbelievable.

SW-Fans.Net Poster

Man... two more feet and Sosa would have tied that game at 6. Smoltz was hurting, though... that could be trouble for Atlanta tomorrow, potentially not having their closer.

I hope Kerry Wood has his 'A' game like he did in Game 1, and that the Cubs bats finally start to hit.

SW-Fans.Net Admin

Good but Damaged Goods

DragonCon 09
    As any Marlins fan would tell you, we'd prefer to play the Braves over anyone else.

After all, we beat them 9 of 10 games in the regular season

HOLY COW WE WIN IN ELEVEN INNGINGS!!!!!!!!!!!!

I still doubt we'll take the series, but damn...I've been jumping up and down for about 5 minutes.

Yeah I was exicited too, I think we could come back if we win tomorrow I like our chances with Pedro in Game 5.

I don't know...their entire pitching staff is really good. They matched Martinez in Game 1, and I always go with the home team in decisive games.

I'm just glad we weren't swept.

Yeah but the same thing happened in 99 Boston was down 2-0 and won three straight including beating Cleveland in Jacobs Field (which was very tough back then). Actually the only thing that worries me is the bullpen Pedro will pitch great but we might need a CG out of him to guarentee his win. Also I don't like using Hudson and Zito on three days rest I think that is something that is just waiting for disaster.

JMK
    The lack of clutch hitting so far in the playoffs has been driving me crazy. Especially from guys like Ramirez and Most of the Twins lineup. I know I know, great pitching, but there's NO excuse for Manny's 1-14 with God knows how many stranded runners.

And its too bad I hate Jeffrey Loria and David Samson because the team they've got on the field is all guts. It would be nice to pull for them but the Expos loyalist in me won't allow it.

I have no clue what is up with Manny?? He looks like Mo Vaugh in 98 for Boston (he did the same thing) maybe he will have a huge game today.

JMK
    He's their big RBI guy. He sets up everything for the rest of the batting order. If he does something constructive, like at LEAST moving a runner over, then it makes it tough for the opposing pitchers to pitch to the other guys. Last night for example Manny struck out in the 9th (I think it was the 9th) then which allowed Bradford to continue to go after the lefties instead of walking them. That didn't help much either as Millar went down swinging to end the inning.

Nomar has actually played ok, though I have no clue why they are batting him second??? He should be hitting third or something.

Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast