Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 1320212223

Thread: MLB 2003 Playoffs

Originally posted by Jedi Master Carr
    LOL well they can have him Maybe he will make some bonehead decision there.
    Yeah, since Zimmer turned out to be such a terrible coach when Torre hired him. He was run outta Boston too.

Heh well Zimmer didn't do anything but sit on his fat butt, IMO anyway with NY. And Kyle I agree with you and to me that is a problem. I still think the Owners should of held out back in 95 and played replacement players and broke the Union that is what the NFL did to the players union it was destroyed because of replacement players back in 87.

JMK
    Last month, the Expos players voted against playing more games in Puerto Rico in 2004, but they are now reconsidering a proposal to play all 22 before the all-star break to make the travel schedule easier.

Cabrera remains dead-set against playing home games anywhere but Montreal.

"If we have 2,000 fans (in Montreal), we want all 2,000 to cheer for us," he said. "That's not what we get in Puerto Rico."

Without the Puerto Rico games, the team could be gutted due to the lower revenues.
    Basically he's saying that the problem with PR is that not everyone in the stands is necessarily an Expos fan, and that hurts the team.

JediBoricua
    'Tis true.

They always have people cheering for them, and Expos hats and jerseys sold well, but most people were there to watch the prican players.

When playing against the Reds, or the Marlins there were more Expos fans. The story was different againts the Mets, Cubs, Braves and Rangers...

So I understand the players, and it all the traveling must suck...oh well. BUt I have developed an affinity for the team, and know will be rooting for them in the future, wherever that is.

Other teams are looking into it though, including the world champion marlins...more info will pour in soon.

It's kinda funny....I read a script at work this afternoon about the Curse of the Bambino.

JMK
    Oh dear lord no....another smack in the jaw to Sox fans.

Actually it's a comedy..and at the end the Sox finally win the series. Not too bad...some pretty hilarious scenes. Nonetheless, I gave it a pretty mixed review. I think we'll pass on it.

Does Boston really want to get rid of Rameriz

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1650053

I think its because of the money they would save but still I don't think anybody would do this only the Yankees have the payroll and even they are said not to be interested. I am guessing they are trying to see if there is anybody interested in trading for him. In away I could take a trade, I rather get Nomar locked up in a long term deal and lose Manny, we could take that money we save off him and get some more players.

JMK
    Doesn't Nomar want to to go home to California when this contract is up?

I think he will resign if they give him enough money. He has never said he wants to leave, so I think he will stay. Here is more about Manny

http://www.boston.com/sports/basebal...ed_in_ramirez/

Maybe the Devil Rays will sign him, heh they seemed to be interested, they surely have the room payroll rise.

JediBoricua
    JMK local newspaper are reporting today that it's official, the Expos will be back next year for 22 games.

Nothing being reported up there?

JMK
    I haven't been paying much attention today, but I heard an interview with Orlando Cabrera yesterday on my local sports radio station and it sounded like the Expos would agree to play games there so as not to have to slash payroll, but I think they were thinking that they would play their FIRST 22 home games in PR, and then come home to Montreal for all remaining home games. If that's what the deal is, then I can live with that. It cuts down on travel for the team and it gives them a longer stand in PR to develop larger fan support. It should pay dividends near the end of the year if the Expos can make a wild card run, or first place in the NL East. They were nearly unbeatable in Montreal and the atmosphere was electric once they started charging for the playoffs. Having true fan support down the stretch (assuming the Expos are in contention) would be crucial.

Doc Milo
    News about the World Series Losers --

Donnie Baseball has finally agreed to come back as the NY Yankees hitting coach. Willie Randolf will take Don Zimmer's job as bench coach. If Mazzili does not get the Oriole Job, he is moving from first base coach to third base coach. And Louis Sojo is now officially a Yankees coach -- he will be at first base.

News about Don "Donnie Baseball" Mattingly is welcome. I never like Rick Down as a hitting coach -- the other time he was their hitting coach the Yankees had trouble hitting and getting clutch hits... Then this year the same thing.... I've been hoping they'd get Mattingly for the longest time....

Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 1320212223