Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456

Thread: State of the Union Address TONIGHT

Sene Unty
    Originally posted by Taylor Millard
    Oh for God's sake get over it! THat election was 3 years ago. Come on, have more of a mature response please. If you don't like the man then fine, atleast give him the respect he deserves as the President of the United States.

And here's a simple solution for you. Next election, in '04, vote for the candidate you agree with. It's not that hard.
    HAHAHAHAHAHA.

Oh so I understand. I am supposed to give respect to someone simply because he is my president....

No.

I sure as hell do not.

And who are you to tell me to be more mature? What about my response was infintile and childish. Simply because I do not agree? So is everyone who has an opinion other than yours immature? How sad it must be to go through life deeming others and their particular views beneath you.

But please do not worry. I will not be commenting on this subject any longer as it is apparent what I think is unappreciated. Thank you for so eloquently notifying me of my inadequacy.

Hadrian Invicta
    Assaninate or kill Hussein without innocents dying. It would be better for them to be caught in the bomb blast then to live in the civil war that would erupt in Iraq should Hussein be covertly assasinated.

Plus unless we've somehow developed such hi-tech technology that we could slip into his bunker or past his thousands of loyal republican guards I don't think we are going to be able to take Hussein out in a one shot one kill situation. There is simply no way. He's too well guarded, I mean the man has 50 look alikes for heaven's sakes, he could pull off a whole Kashemunga scenario and we wouldn't even know it. But that's just as insane as believing that we could take him out with a surgical strike in which he was the only one killed. This isn't Metal Gear Solid, there are no James Bond super spies or Comic book hitman. This is the real world and in the real world innocent people die sometimes because of the actions of others.

Sorry for ripping you all back to the real world for a second, carry on with your hypothetical theories on international politics and war.

Admiral Lebron
    Lots of partiot missiles.

Hadrian, if thats the real world, you didnt bother to continue with consequence, hence making your argument void.

Hadrian Invicta
    Consquences of what Fett? I didn't propose we do anything I just stated that a covert assassination is not a valid option, hence making your comment pointless.

Originally posted by Sene Unty
    HAHAHAHAHAHA.

Oh so I understand. I am supposed to give respect to someone simply because he is my president....
    Yes...basic respect. You don't have to like the man- I never said you had to. But, he is the leader of this country- and thus he does deserve the respect of its people.

And who are you to tell me to be more mature?
    I'm no one. I just grew tired of hearing (and seeing) that kind of response from some people for the last 3 years.

What about my response was infintile and childish. Simply because I do not agree?
    I would rather shove hot metal knifes into my eyes than watch my "president" speak for any length of time.
    Yes, but it is not that I don't care. Beyond simply hating the man's voice, I despise the very look of him. I still do not consider him to be my president, so when he speaks, I make it a point not to listen.
    Hmm...okay...I don't mind you not watching the State of the Union. It's not for everyone.

But the "president" comment is childish. Again, that election was a long time ago. I'm tired of hearing people still harp on that entire situation. Let's get over it and move on.

So is everyone who has an opinion other than yours immature?
    Oh absolutely not. Those who can defend their opinion with clarity and personal conviction, instead of spewing rhetoric always have my respect. I might disagree with them, but I'll always give them my respect.

How sad it must be to go through life deeming others and their particular views beneath you. But please do not worry. I will not be commenting on this subject any longer as it is apparent what I think is unappreciated. Thank you for so eloquently notifying me of my inadequacy.
    I never said you were inadequate...I'm just tired of seeing people not give someone the respect they deserve. If you don't agree with him that's fine, I never said you had to, I never said you had to agree with me either.

And if you don't read this thread again that's fine. But if you do I will have a response.

Admiral Lebron
    I agree with Taylor, he's in office for three years, grow up. I respect him and all, but hes a pawn. Its all Colin Powell running the government.

imported_Terran Starek
    Sene, I think you are missing the big picture here.

To say that you would not respect a man because of the way he looks or talks is juvenile in principle. I'm sorry--but it's the truth. Do all educated men have to meet some type of appearance or vocalization standard to be accepted?

It doesn't mean I or Taylor or anyone think that you, as a person, are juvenile. I mean, you have your opinions. Your opinions are worth something, like anyone who forms an opinion. How would you like it if someone said that they didn't want to listen to you or have anything to do with you or that they didn't consider you a person just because of the way you looked or sounded? It wouldn't be fair--it's not fair to judge someone like that.

Whether you are a Republican, Democrat, Independent, Anarchist, whatever--I think that people can come to a common ground on one fact: the President is the President for a reason. He may not have the most ideal views to fit what you believe, he may not be the best speaker, he may not look the sharpest--but he has earned his position.

To earn such an honor deserves at least an acknowledgement.

(this all comes from a Democrat, mind you )

imported_Eve
    Sene - if you're contributing to a civilized conversation about politics, the pitch of someone's voice, or the way one looks (which are matters of prejudice) have no matter.

Admiral Lebron
    Do you disrespect Stephen Hawkin too because he rolls around in his chair and lets a computer talk for him?

mis feasance
    I will assume for the sake of conversation that we are all intelligent adults, or semi adults, in this thread. Operating under this assumption I will attempt to explain why it is so ridiculous that we are making comments about where and to whom respect is owed.
    My respect is not something that can be handed out simply under a title or banner. My respect for the leader of any country, including the country where I reside, is not conveyed every four years without looking at who it is being given to. My respect is earned through deeds and promises that I admire and believe in. I do not admire or believe in George W. Bush. He represents everything that is wrong with this country. We own big guns and we believe that we are the only ones that should own them, we bully the kids on the playground and then we pretend not to understand when they dont like us, and we are always quick to point out how wonderful we are.
    This country is the biggest kid on the block who knows where his strengths are and is quick to use them. Do not confuse that with being the best, brightest, or most admired kid on the block. This country is not based on an ideal that is untarnished, it is built on a sediment of hardship, lies, and deception as most countries are. The greatest fault this country has is that we are not willing to conceded the crap that we are built on and the crap that we continue to advocate in large part today.
    I love SOME of the ideals of this country, I simply wish we would stick by the ideals that make us wonderful and not sell out in the name of proving whose guns are bigger.
    The problem with being the biggest KID on the block is that life works in stages and someday, someone will be bigger than us we should treat those out there as we would like to have them treat us when they title themselves "the police men of the world"

Aside from all of this, I watched what I was able to of the State of the Union because it is important to me to keep an eye on the man that holds this countries future in his hands. He is making huge decisions that affect me and those around the world but the scariest part for me in all of this is that those that he is thinking about are his cronies. The man is in all the wrong pockets, does not serve the interest of the working class people in this country (who make up the largest part of the population), and when his "presidency" is over he will leave the country much worse of than he found it.

I think it is also important to note that I agree completely with Sene Unty, this man is not president of this country. Not because he did not win an election but because he is not a leader nor can he pretend to know what is best for this country. I owe him no respect, since he has earned none and I am eager for someone to run against him so that there once again a ray of hope for a brighter future in this country.

Proprietor / Admin
    AKA
    Ogre / Chris
    Typically we do not allow political discussions on these forums.

At first this thread had a light hearted nature that prompted me to allow it to continue, but now it is taking a severe turn for the worse with people not giving others the freedom of their own opinion.

Everyone has a right to think however they choose to and nothing can be said by anyone to deny them that privilege.

With the current direction this thread is heading, its becoming pretty obvious why we do not normally allow political discussions here.

And with that this thread can now sink down to the depths of this forum with no further responses.

Thread closed.

Proprietor / Admin
    AKA
    Ogre / Chris
    Addendum for clarity: No single individual has prompted my decision to close this thread, merely long established board policy based on content and tone.

If those involved wish to continue this discussion you may do so at a less restricted place. I think you know where I mean. I won’t link there directly so as not to directly advertise in this thread and appear to be spamming.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456