Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Roleplaying Etiquette

Threepio

Roleplaying Etiquette

*ahem* I would like to make a few comments about the manners of roleplayers in these forums. This is of course not directed at anyone in paticular, as I see it to be a boardwide problem and it needs to be addressed.

Please, wait your turn! I have noticed in the past that good RPs have been ruined by excessive posting! And it has recently become an issue again, so I thought I would make a seperate post on this problem. *puts hands on hips*

"The Second Wave" in the B&G at GJO had to be restarted because of rampant posting. No one waited for the people who started the main action of the thread, and it became incredibly unrealistic.

In a thread it is kosher to reply to an action...and then wait for the person that action is made against to reply back. If two more people show up and you start having a conversation about "Wow look at this guy getting beat up by me" then that totally skews the thread and makes RPing not fun anymore.

People cannot be on every day 24 hours a day. Hard to believe, I know. So allow time for others to reply. Thank you, and have a nice day.

*scuttles off*

Emiliana
    --Sits down and claps--

We had that problem in Sweet Realization. Although it was an open thread, Zasz and I had had something planned for the ending. However, within each night, the thread would have at least 2 more people in it and 3 more pages of posts. Sorsha even asked for them to pause, but nuuuuu.. I was so lost each time I went to post, that I was forced to just say Okay! Pretend Gitane left!

...My little rant is over.

I find a POST-IT note system works. After you post, have an emboldened bit saying noone post until _____ does. When they post, remove.

Blaine
    Sometimes people just know when it's not their turn... Then again, Fett's idea of a certain order always has been the best one.

Graham Holfast
    Originally posted by ReaperFett
    I find a POST-IT note system works. After you post, have an emboldened bit saying noone post until _____ does. When they post, remove.

But then again, some people have a nack of totally ignoring that, so

Diego Van Derveld
    Its an optimistic idea, but yeah...there are those that simply won't adhere to it. Then again, it also would take what is essentially an open thread, and close it off to those in the queue.

Gia Van Derveld
    COMMON SENSE!! you can't post three times to your opponents one!

Emiliana
    Also, people, PLEASE... If you just KNOW that a thread is already crowded and that your character being there would NOT further the plot in anyway, it would simply make it even more confused, then DO NOT JOIN.

I was looking through Sweet Realization again, and suddenly was slapped with a big ole can of WTF... Why the Heck was Chewie suddenly in there?!

SW-Fans.Net Poster

[insert vespa picture]
    Has been a member for 5 years or longer

And if people would learn how to fight in RPs, that would help.

If people would teach how to fight in RPs, that would help even more.

Ishiva Ruell
    :: wearing a excutioners hood ::

Please use common sense and be considerate. Wait for those participating in the RP to respond respectively. Especially those involved in direct interaction with each other. Or else get one mean looking vibroblade stuck in your most precious vitals.

muahaha

SW-Fans.Net Poster

[insert vespa picture]

That wasn;t the sort of teaching I meant...

Ishiva Ruell
    Too bad, it's the only teachin ya gonna git...

SW-Fans.Net Poster

[insert vespa picture]

Can you please try to be serious? All this joking around is going to make people take this thread lightly and more than likely ignore all the good points made here.

Originally posted by Cold Blaine
    Sometimes people just know when it's not their turn... Then again, Fett's idea of a certain order always has been the best one.
    Again, we just know when it's the right time to post.

Lord Que
    I dont see what the problem is here, its basicaly a matter of common sense. If you attack someone, and then someone else joins the thread and does something directed at you, wait till the person you attacked replies before you make another post, I believe this can be used as an example for all situations. Common sense people

imported_Blade Ice
    Originally posted by Emiliana
    --Sits down and claps--

We had that problem in Sweet Realization. Although it was an open thread, Zasz and I had had something planned for the ending. However, within each night, the thread would have at least 2 more people in it and 3 more pages of posts. Sorsha even asked for them to pause, but nuuuuu.. I was so lost each time I went to post, that I was forced to just say Okay! Pretend Gitane left!

...My little rant is over.
    I just want to say one quick thing to this one. First off if you have a planned ending don't leave it an open thread because more then likely your idea will get screwed even if people post in turn. I have done that before had a planned ending every body posted just fine in it and the ending didn't turn out how I had planned its the way open threads go there unpredictable in ending.

now to get back on subject I know I myself sometimes have problems posting in turn because someone post a question to me and I have an idea to answer it right away and I don't want to forget the idea but I know there are those who have posting rights before I do. But to say posting out of turn is unrealistic thats a lie because people always butt into conversations in real life.

But Do please try to be as conseterate as possible.

Gia Van Derveld
    Wei has a very good point. People SHOULD be taught how to fight in RPs. I thought that MASTERS did that for their apprentices.

Groups need to make sure that people are being taught the correct way to RP, or at least, make sure they're being thoughtful about their Rping. I am not pointing fingers, but a master, who is training an apprentice, should be able to pass onto them their knowledge about fighting in RPs.

If the master was never taught either, then maybe that needs to be addressed.

Emiliana
    Actually, Blade, it probably wouldn't have mattered what the outcome was, because what we were planning would still have had a chance of working.

Also, we decided on it after he had made the thread and it had started.

One thing I find intresting, though... Some people just choose not to have common sense. I mean, yes, I understand that there are situations where turns may briefly not work because one character wold have nothing to post when it's their turn and another's posting would make sense... But, yeesh, at least wait for the person to start the thread to post every once in a while!

SW-Fans.Net Poster

Skiing the slippery slopes

Hold the Phone.

I had a planned ending, it COULD have happened. People COULD have waited, but NO. People had to post every 5 minutes in replies.

I went sick and couldn't carry on.

I find it Ironic that I made an open thread, expecting to further my character in an RP, and I get left behind.

It's a load of crap. And it screwed someone out of possible membership for a rather long time.

There needs to be a rule about this.

And how would you make a rule? Should we say that you can only post every 4 posts if more than 4 are posting? WOuldnt that be unfair if someone dissapeared?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast