Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The emperor is a sith lord.

Jedi Master Kyle

Question: <font color="yellow"> So why don't the Jedi take over the galaxy from the Republic and the Chancellor?
    </font>

Answer: Adventure, excitement, a jedi craves not these things. hehehe

i think people have to wonder why vader doesn't seize control of the empire from this decrepit old dude. he kills his own men without thinking twice, so this old crip couldn't possibly put up a fight, could he? that's what the others around may ask themselves.

Aprentize

Jedi Master Kyle, I was JUST about to write that. I was just going to read all the posts and then say that the jedi didnt take over because thats not the stuff a jedi does. I was eaven going to use that quote! You are right. Everybody knows that Vader's the bad guy. He IS a very VERY bad guy. The old jedi were the guardians of peace and justise in the galaxy, and i dont think anybody came acuse vader of doing that! So people would start thinkin.........
    My only conclussion can be that after he desolved the senate, there was no meaning in keeping it a secret anymore, just as somebody said preveously.....

Bromine

"People must be wondering, why doesn't Vader seize control?" Okay, here's something to keep in mind: Even in totalitarian dictatorships, you don't neccessarily take over simply by killing the Dictator. The Dictator is the Dictator because he has the backing of the military, as well as political ties to secure his position. One guy, no matter how powerful and evil, can't just come waltzing in, kill the dictator, and say, "I'm the leader now, okay everyone?"

Look at the dictators throughtout history. Did they stay in charge because they were big and tough and could personally kick butt? No, they were in charge because of political influence. Vader was really just a warrior. If the Emporer died, I tend to think that the Empire would rally behind an Admiral or another high-ranking official. Darth Vader was powerful, but not in a political or military sense.

Figrin D an

In most historical cases, you are correct, Bromine, about dictatorial power...

However, I think that Vader is more than just a warrior. He has political aspirations as well. Part of the reason he tries to bring Luke to the Dark Side of the Force is so that Vader can usurp power from Palpatine. The EU describes that the relationship between Palpatine and Vader has always been somewhat tense and that neither really trusts the other. Palpatine knows that Vader wants to rule as the next emperor and that Vader would kill him if given the opportunity. Vader knows that Palpatine is extremely powerful and kill him quite easily. But, Vader also feels that if he could get Luke to help him, they could overthrow Palpatine together. Then Vader becomes the master, and Luke the apprentice.

I could see, in the event of the Emperor's death, some of the Imperial Navy throwing their support to a Grand Admiral or one of the Moffs, but Vader would be able to convince most of the military to join with him, simply because of fear. Even with a fleet of ships supporting them, an admiral or Moff would still have to fear for their own lives. Vader has a way of getting to people, one way or the other, and making his enemies suffer (a fact that we will hopefully see in Episode III). The use of iron fist tactics would give Vader most of the support needed to take control, at least temporarily. Eventually, there would be revolts against him because Vader isn't the clever, scheming strategist that Palpatine is. Vader would use "muscle" to rule the galaxy, while Palpatine had the political background necessary to manipulate a given situation in many different ways.

So, Vader has the desire for political power, perhaps even the strength to take it, but not the cunning to keep it.

Bromine

I see your point. I agree, Vader would most probably have siezed power.
    However, what I'm really trying to get at is that from the viewpoint of those around Vader and Palpy, they wouldn't automatically assume that since Vader is strong in the dark side, he should have killed Palpy and since he hasn't Palpy must be a Sith also. Just seems like a big jump in logic considering what I mentioned before.

Figrin D an

Ah, I see now... And I agree, I don't think you can make the conclusion that Palpatine is a Sith simply because of the given circumstances. I think some of the higher ranking Imperials (ie. the Moffs, Grand Admirals, regional Governors) suspect that there is more to Palpatine that meets the eye, but they have no real proof.

Doc Milo

Jedi Master Kyle posted:
    Question: So why don't the Jedi take over the galaxy from the Republic and the Chancellor?

Answer: Adventure, excitement, a jedi craves not these things. hehehe

Aprentize posted:
    Everybody knows that Vader's the bad guy. He IS a very VERY bad guy. The old jedi were the guardians of peace and justise in the galaxy, and i dont think anybody came acuse vader of doing that!
    ================================================== ==========
    WE can't accuse Vader of being the guardian of peace and Justice, from our point of view. But view it from the point of view of Tarkin, or other Imperial Officers, or the average citizen of the Empire who either believes in the Emperor's rule, or at the very least view him as the rightful ruler of the galaxy.

To these people, the rebels are criminals. To these people, Vader is, indeed, the 'guardian of peace and justice.' He is the Emperor's enforcer, and the Emperor IS the law.

From their limited experience (they don't know things that we do when we judge who is good and who is bad -- they approach things from a limited point of view) they would know that the Jedi are the people who use the Force. They would know that the Jedi, the guardians of peace and justice, traditionally served the Chancellor of the Republic. They would see Vader serving the Emperor, and think that this tradition is being upheld in the Empire. There would be no need for them to assume the Emperor is a Sith Lord or has any power in the Force, because the Jedi already provided the structure for their service, and they may just believe that Vader follows that Code.

I'm looking at what they may believe from their point of view, using their past experiences with the subject. Remember, the Sith have been believed extinct for a millenia. Tarkin says that Vader is all that is left of the Jedi religion. Wouldn't you say it is possible that the Sith never reveal themselves to the galaxy, that people believe that Vader is actually a JEDI, and as such, serves the Chancellor, or in this case, Emperor?

Take that scenario a step further. If Vader is seen as a Jedi to the masses, and he is seen by those people as the Emperor's enforcer, and those people will fall into two categories: Those who believe in the Emperor's rule, and those who oppose it; to those who believe in the Emeperor's rule, Vader would be in the traditional Jedi role of guardian of peace and justice (as defined, of course, by the Emperor); to those who oppose, and they believe Vader is a Jedi, then the Jedi are put into a negative light.

Either way, in this scenario, there would be no reason for them to believe that the Emperor has to have Force powers in order to keep his power. They'd just assume that Vader has taken the traditional role of the Jedi.

Jedi Master Kyle

that all will hold true provided palpy never reveals himself to the entire galaxy as sidious.

Bromine

I doubt he will reveal himself as Sidious. In fact, I don't think most of the galaxy will ever even know the name Sidious. As far as we know, only the Trade Federation and Maul know him as Sidious. Probably the Jedi will know of him.
    I was pondering that point about whether the general population of the galaxy will ever know about the Sith. Remember Maul's line, "At last we will reveal ourselves to the Jedi. At last we will have our revenge." I'm guessing the Sith will reveal themselves only to the Jedi only.

Doc Milo

That would be my guess too. Which is why I think Tarkin referring to Vader as "all that's left of their religion (meaning the Jedi religion)" is telling. It might just mean that the galaxy, and the Imperial soldiers, actually view Vader as a Jedi.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12