Thread: Doctor Who, Series Eight - "Goodbye, sweetie."

TheHolo.Net Admin

Baroness Scorpion #2
    Lesbian Overlord of SWFans

DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Jenny

Doctor Who, Series Eight - "Goodbye, sweetie."

Not that we really have any yet, but please be prepared for...

Okay I lied we have a massive spoiler.

There's no more Matt Smith (...after the 2013 Christmas Special)

http://www.sfx.co.uk/2013/06/01/matt...ng-doctor-who/

Now let the speculation about who will be Twelve begin!

TheHolo.Net Poster
    Has been a member for 5 years or longer

AKA
    Droo
    Gamer IDs

Steam ID: droogydroo
    This is not unexpected. I just hope they don't make it a complete downer, like Ten's departure, that wouldn't suit Eleven at all. Plus, it's Christmas.

On the bright side: http://www.bbc.co.uk/proms/whats-on/2013/july-13/14610

Well...it was bound to happen sooner or later. I can't say I'm totally surprised. And I agree, I hope his regeneration isn't a complete downer...to this day, I still can't watch The End of Time without some serious weeping. I don't know if I can take another regeneration like that.

Although I will most definitely cry if his last word is not "Geronimo!"

Now let the wild speculation about who the next Doctor will be begin.

I'm hoping we end up with someone we've never heard of. It seems to work out really well for them that way, Doctor Who becoming a springboard for their career... and it means they come in without us having any clues about how they're going to perform the part.

I suppose John Hurt's identity affects things a lot as well. If he's supposed to be an older version of Twelve, then that will presumably have some bearing on who gets cast: they might even have him regenerate old like Pertwee, and actually go with John Hurt. If he's an older version of Eight on the other hand (which would disappoint me, tbh), that wouldn't really make a difference.

TheHolo.Net Admin

Baroness Scorpion #2

DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Jenny
    I'm not convinced that Hurt is Twelve. I think he's an older incarnation. Like... 8.5 or something <_<

TheHolo.Net Poster

AKA
    Droo
    Gamer IDs

I'd prefer to see an older Doctor, male or female. In fact, I like the idea of Olivia Colman in the role. She's about the best we have to offer from our fair isles. Having said that, I wouldn't put money on the BBC executives green-lighting an older Doctor or a female Doctor, unfortunately.

I'd be disappointed if he was 8.5, because Paul McGann is totally up for returning, and it's taking the piss a bit to recast him imo.

TheHolo.Net Admin

Baroness Scorpion #2

DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Jenny
    I don't mean recast McGann.. I was thinking he could be an incarnation of the Doctor between McGann and Eccleston, since I don't think we have actually seen his regeneration played out at any point?

I'm with you, Droo - an older Doctor would be great.

Hmm. I dunno - I still think he's supposed to be the Valeyard: the Doctor's future evil self that comes somewhere between his Twelfth incarnation and his death. The concept was introduced in a Colin Baker episode... I think the Master at that point had already met him. Since "Valeyard" (val-ee-ard) is one of the names the Great Intelligence rattled off outside the crypt, and since that's established as being a time when the Doctor went by a different name...

Sure, Moffat may have something else in mind. It just seems like that is what they're gearing towards with the references/etc.

Aw, that's too cute

TheHolo.Net Admin

Baroness Scorpion #2

DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Jenny
    Looks like we may have confirmation on who John Hurt's character is: http://www.themarysue.com/john-hurt-...who-character/

I dunno... I don't buy it. Or maybe I don't like it, so I'm sceptical because I don't want it to be true.

Don't get me wrong: I'm sure the Doctor having an evil / morally grey past incarnation would be cool, and it's a very Moffaty plot to have. But the Doctor already has a morally grey incarnation (the Valeyard) who is either 12 or 13... having an extra one just seems unnecessarily redundant. Plus, it'll really bum me out if Moffat snubs Paul McGann in favour of a cheap plot gimmick

I do have a work-around theory though. What I'm wondering/hoping is if John Hurt is both the Valeyard and the Doctor from the Time War. The Time Lords brought the Master back to life in order to fight the Daleks, because they needed that kind of "evil" to win... what if they recruited the Valeyard as well? The Valeyard could be responsible for all of the destruction that took place, which the Doctor is witness to knowing full-well that this is what he's destined to do in the future. It could even explain why the Doctor is the only Time Lord left: the Valeyard had to keep the Doctor alive so that he could eventually regenerate into him, else it'd create a time paradox. And, if Eight or Nine is a witness to what the Valeyard does, he can start dressing similar as a sort of reminder of what he's done/will do.

Depending on how the story is broken up, that'd potentially give you the option to sneak in a surprise Paul McGann cameo, a sneaky McGann > Eccleston regeneration cameo... and come Christmas you could show Eleven regenerating into the Valeyard and the Valeyard regenerating into Thirteen. That means that a) the new Doctor would be the Doctor's "last" regeneration, and b) the new Doctor would have to deal with the immediacy of having just done those terrible things. It'd also tie with the idea that Nine > Ten > Eleven > Twelve shows the Doctor becoming increasingly dark and warlike as he grows towards being the Valeyard... as opposed to having done terrible shit, become good again... and then started going dark for a second time.
    It's like that, and that's the way it is.

TheHolo.Net Admin

Baroness Scorpion #2

DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Jenny
    I'm not sure that I would see it as a snub of Paul McGann. There are a lot of Eight adventures that exist out of the TV series, so it seems like Eight has a lot of off-screen time to account for. It could be that by the time Eight regenerates, he would just look too old to have been played by Paul McGann, especially if he's been through the Time Wars.

Yeah, except the Doctor's ageing process is almost imperceptibly slow. Matt Smith has aged from 907 to about 1200 over the course of his run on the show, and he looks pretty much exactly the same. Besides, the audio book / novel events add up to the Doctor being 1700+ before he regenerates into Nine, and Seven stated his age as being 953 whereas Ten said he was 903... so the Doctor's age and ageing is easy to explain away.

The only reason that Moffat absolutely couldn't use Paul McGann (assuming John Hurt is the Eighth / 8.5th Doctor) is because people would recognise Paul McGann, and it would spoil the surprise. Which seems like a pretty shitty reason to use a different actor, imo.

TheHolo.Net Poster

AKA
    Droo
    Gamer IDs

Don't forget, guys, the Doctor Who Prom is on tomorrow night at 19:30. It is at least going to be live on BBC Radio 3, and I think it will air later in the month on BBC One. I could be wrong though, it might be live on the telly, or at least if you hit the red button.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/proms/whats-on/2013/july-13/14610

TheHolo.Net Admin

Baroness Scorpion #2

DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Jenny
    http://www.bleedingcool.com/2013/08/...t-this-sunday/

7pm this Sunday we apparently find out who the next Doctor is fffffffffffffffffff

I think we need a group hug just in case

TheHolo.Net Poster

AKA
    Droo
    Gamer IDs

This is probably just a lot of over-excited fanboy waffle, but I do like all the talk of Andrew Scott for the next Doctor. And on that note I do find myself wondering just how obscure an actor are they going to recruit for the role, given the announcement, it's the sort of reveal that lends itself to the idea that the actor will be known, in the hope that the casting news will generate an extra amount of buzz. Not that there won't be all kinds of buzz anyway.

Fred Fiddich
    I just hope that whoever they pick, it isn't from the same "quirky but cool" mould... and mostly that's because the Companion is staying the same.

As far as I can remember, this would be the third time that two incarnations of the Doctor have had the same Assistant/Companion. The first was Three/Four, who shared Sarah Jane Smith; and of course Nine/Ten shared Rose. With those transitions (and tbh, with almost every other regeneration), the change in appearance, personality, and mannerisms was pretty dramatic. With Ten to Eleven though, they sorta got stuck on the idea that the Doctor should be silly, eccentric, and sort of cool. If we're going to have John Hurt added into the equation, I think it would be more interesting if the next Doctor was a bit more gruff. After all, if John Hurt is someone new then this "technically" would be his thirteenth and final regeneration (wibbly-wobbly not withstanding), so a Doctor who is all "This is my last life, I have to save as much as possible before my time runs out" might be interesting.

Maybe I've just been imagining Idris Elba as the Doctor a little too hard, though. I want that.

Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast