Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NHL Playoffs

Kyran O'Hurn

NHL NHL Playoffs

I know that hockey isn't a huge draw south of the border, but know that we have a few around here who are follow. It's going to be an interesting playoffs this year after the short season.

Don't have a full read on the NHL like I usually would being in China, but here is my best guess.

EAST:

PIT vs. NYI - Should be PIT in a walk. Biggest question is when does Crosby come back. This one is maybe the only one that has a 4 game sweep.

MTL vs. OTT - As a Leafs fan I'm trying to figure out how both of them can lose. Should be a fairly easy time for MTL but OTT has been surprising this year.

WAS vs. NYR - WAS was one of the hottest teams down the stretch, but over the course of 7 games... Comes down to two things. 1) can NYR shut down Ovie. 2) if they can shut down Ovie can WAS get scoring from someone else.

BOS vs. TOR - Ugh... My heart wants the Leafs to pull something out their hats, but don't think they can do it. Only real question is how gassed is BOS after all of those games at the end of the season. I don't think it'll affect BOS in the first round, but it'll probably come back to bite them later.

WEST: (don't know the west as well so...)

CHI vs. MIN - Don't think MIN can put up much of a fight against CHI.

ANI vs. DET - In the past this might be scary, but DET isn't the same without Lidstrom. Should be no problem for ANA.

VAN vs. SJ - Could be the upset of the first round. I don't like VAN personally, but what I know about VAN this year is that they are unpredictable and their PP has been brutal. The twins need to score, if they don't...

LA vs. STL - Don't think that LA is going to repeat, but don't think STL is going to be the one to send them golfing either.

TheHolo.Net Admin

Baroness Scorpion #2
    Lesbian Overlord of SWFans

DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Jenny
    I haven't been following the NHL at all this season

but I'll definitely be trying to watch some playoff games... like the masochist I am.

TheHolo.Net Poster

Tequila Satan
    Baroness Scorpion #1

DragonCon 09
    Has been a member for 5 years or longer
    AKA
    Sarah
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Nuime Steam ID: Nuime
    >_> frakkin Red Wings...

SW-Fans.Net Poster

I'm a doctor, not a Jedi, Jim! What you're asking for is impossible! Oh, wait, I am a Jedi.

AKA
    Kaman
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: MiriyaCailis Steam ID: Gyndar
    ^This. Really, can they just... not be in the playoffs, for once? It almost happened.

The Leafs won't win. They can't. Seriously. We'll never hear the end of it.

Aside from that, I bloody well hope it's at least that it's a Canadian team, and optimistically either the Habs or 'Nucks. Heck, a Habs/'Nucks final would make me happy because I wouldn't care who won. Possibly unrealistic, but a gal can dream, right?

I've been cheering on the Pens like every year, but what they've managed to accomplish in the face of so many injuries is incredible! I can't believe the depth they have, especially after the addition of Morrow, Jokinen, and Iginla. I don't want to take anything for granted, including the series against the Islanders, but even if they don't win the cup, I feel like this team has been special.

I'm torn between wanting Crosby back on the ice as soon as possible and wanting to be sure he's 100% with a minimal chance of re-injury. When he's performing at his best, especially when he's surrounded by so much talent, you're going to see some beautiful hockey.

I'll echo the sentiments on the Redwings, but primarily because I was really hoping the Columbus Blue Jackets would make it into the playoffs for the first time in their history. All it would have taken was a regulation loss by the Redwings.

TheHolo.Net Admin
    OG Forum Overlord

AKA
    Holly
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Lilaena Steam ID: jainhollie
    Avalanche got the first pick in the draft.

I've been paying more attention to the WHL - the Portland Winterhawks are Western Conference champions for the third year in a row. They also have the probable first pick for the NHL draft on the roster in defenseman Seth Jones.

oh what a tangled web I weave

Kyran O'Hurn
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilias Nytrau View Post
    ^This. Really, can they just... not be in the playoffs, for once? It almost happened.

The Leafs won't win. They can't. Seriously. We'll never hear the end of it.

Aside from that, I bloody well hope it's at least that it's a Canadian team, and optimistically either the Habs or 'Nucks. Heck, a Habs/'Nucks final would make me happy because I wouldn't care who won. Possibly unrealistic, but a gal can dream, right?
    I'm a realistic Leafs fan. We should not win this round or any other round. Though I will never say anything is certain since I know in sports that weird things can happen.

and there cannot be a Habs/Canucks final or then I'll never hear the end of it. Only thing worse would be a Sens/'Nucks final.

Besides the NHL would never let there be a two Canadian team final. It would be their absolute nightmare from a "growing the game" and tv rating point of views.

SW-Fans.Net Poster

I'm a doctor, not a Jedi, Jim! What you're asking for is impossible! Oh, wait, I am a Jedi.

AKA
    Kaman
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Kyran O'Hurn View Post
    Besides the NHL would never let there be a two Canadian team final. It would be their absolute nightmare from a "growing the game" and tv rating point of views.
    True enough, true enough. I mean, the NHL itself has no control over who makes it to the final... but that is neither here nor there. In reality, a Canadian team hasn't won the cup since '93 - the last time the Habs won. It's been twenty years. It's time, really.

Well, I'm excited, at any rate.

SW-Fans.Net Poster

Did I tell you about the time I stole fire from the gods? I couldn't fence it, it was too hot. I really got burned on that deal...

AKA
    Andrew
    I'd say the Penguins are off to a good start.

TheHolo.Net Poster

Tequila Satan
    Baroness Scorpion #1

DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Sarah
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Kale View Post
    I'd say the Penguins are off to a good start.
    :P They're playing the Islanders. If they don't sweep I will be downright surprised.

SW-Fans.Net Poster

Did I tell you about the time I stole fire from the gods? I couldn't fence it, it was too hot. I really got burned on that deal...

AKA
    Andrew
    Quote Originally Posted by Emelie Shadowstar View Post
    If they don't sweep I will be downright surprised.
    Darn you! You jinxed them!

This is why I never take the Penguins for granted. Credit to the Islanders; they certainly elevated their play tonight, and the Penguins weren't able to keep up. Now New York has the home ice advantage for the remainder of the series. Time to get your mojo back, Pittsburgh!

TheHolo.Net Admin

Baroness Scorpion #2

DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Jenny
    shaaaaaarks

SW-Fans.Net Poster

AKA
    Kaman
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Dasquian Belargic View Post
    shaaaaaarks
    I would be surprised if the Canucks managed to win the series now - they have never come back from being down 0 - 2. That is a fact.

TheHolo.Net Admin

Baroness Scorpion #2

DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Jenny
    You know, I'm not even annoyed this year. I pretty much expected this.

Gonna throw my support behind the Ducks because fuck if the Canucks are gonna do anything worthwhile post-season.

SW-Fans.Net Poster

AKA
    Andrew
    The Senators and Canadiens combined for 236 penalty minutes in Sunday's game.

Come on, guys. Somebody might want to watch some hockey here at some point.

SW-Fans.Net Poster

AKA
    Kaman
    Gamer IDs

I watched that game, up until just after the hockey game morphed into a free-for-all poor excuse for a boxing match, and the Sens started hammering in more goals. It was just hard to watch after that because I am also a Habs fan thanks to my partner, so I opted to finish off Portal 2, instead.

As for the Canucks: Welp, if they pull this one off somehow, I'd be bloody surprised, but really, the best I can probably hope for is that they do something about this fucking mess in the off-season.

SW-Fans.Net Poster

AKA
    Andrew
    Wow, Penguins. Wow. Talk about a train wreck.

TheHolo.Net Poster

Tequila Satan
    Baroness Scorpion #1

DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Sarah
    Gamer IDs

What...the...? XD Maybe I DID jinx them.

>_>

<_<

I regret nothing.

SW-Fans.Net Poster

AKA
    Kaman
    Gamer IDs

The 2013 Stanley Cup Quarterfinals has claimed its first victim:

The Vancouver Canucks

...Big changes had better be coming.
    Last edited by Ilias Nytrau; May 7th, 2013 at 11:25:13 PM.

TheHolo.Net Admin

Baroness Scorpion #2

DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Jenny
    Well, that saves me money on paying to watch the games at least

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast