AKA
    Holly
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Lilaena Steam ID: jainhollie

Star Wars Tumblr

So I did a thing!

http://starwarsfansdotnet.tumblr.com/

I hope to highlight some RPs and maybe art or who knows what through this tumblr, with links pointing people who might stumble on them back to the forums. I will not post your stuff without your permission! I put up two examples on the page and posted some other fun Star Wars stuff on there.

So, if you don't mind me copying your posts (with the link back to the RP of course and you retain all rights and blahblahblah I won't be claiming I wrote it) for fame and publicity (no fortune, sorry) then post or PM me and tell me it's ok.

If this whole concept offends you and everyone wants this taken down I'll delete it if 15 people can give me a solid no vote. Just kidding. I'll keep using it but I'll just use only my writing.

(if anyone wants to co-tumblr with me and post up images or gifs or whatever the cool kids tumblr these days let me know)

oh what a tangled web I weave

TheHolo.Net Admin

Baroness Scorpion #2
    Lesbian Overlord of SWFans

DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Jenny
    Tumblr, the greatest time sink.

I would rather my posts not be on the tumblr, thanks!

Followed

I don't do the RP thing, of course, but I do reblog a fair amount of SW-related stuff (one of which I can see is already at the top of the page). Definitely feel free to keep reblogging that stuff, or I believe you can enable the page to allow other people to post to it.

For anyone else on tumblr who's interested, and doesn't mind being inundated with Sherlock, Doctor Who, cats, etc., this is me:

http://simple-deductions-and-nonsense.tumblr.com/

TheHolo.Net Admin
    OG Forum Overlord

AKA
    Holly
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

I think I can enable you to post to it if you want I'm just not sure how yet, lol!

SW-Fans.Net Poster

Has been a member for 5 years or longer

AKA
    Geoffrey
    I use Tumblr to find character images, and I must say it seems to be quite the hotbed for roleplaying. There's apparently whole communities that use just Tumblr to roleplay, or advertise their separate roleplay boads. Seems like a good direction to go to try and attract new blood.

You can use my material if you would so like. It's already on the internet so I don't see a problem with it just getting a little more spread.

Quote Originally Posted by Lilaena De'Ville View Post
    I think I can enable you to post to it if you want I'm just not sure how yet, lol!
    Under Settings, you can check a box to allow people to submit to the blog. Then apparently you have to review the submissions and then post them. You could give that a try and see how it works.

An assortment of observations / thoughts -

I may just not be seeing it with the theme that you're using, but it doesn't look like you're using any tags. Tags are what allows people to stumble across things when they're looking at other stuff, so it would be a big help to add those in (unless they're in there already, and I just can't see them).

Something else to consider is clarity. A lot of roleplaying happens on Tumblr, but people are usually pretty clear right off the bat what it is. It might be worth having some sort of "Star Wars Fans is a forum-based roleplaying community, which focuses on original characters who inherited the galaxy after everyone died at the Battle of Endor... blah blah blah" bit that is at the start of each roleplaying post. That way if anyone re-blogs anything or stumbles across it as part of a search, they know instantly what it is.

Tumblr has a mix of original character RP and canon character RP. Without any explanation, there's a danger you'll get people thinking "Who the hell is Vansen Tyree? I don't remember him from the movies", and not necessarily sticking around to read it because they don't know what they're dealing with.

Also, are you just going to throw up whatever roleplay takes your fancy, or do you have some sort of strategy for it? It might be interesting / useful / productive to maybe pick one character every so often, and post up a little Focus Character style profile about them, followed by one or two examples of roleplays that they're in. That'd be especially useful when dealing with characters who are Lupines or Cizerack, because readers don't have the benefit of quickly checking Wookieepedia / Google to find out what is going on there.

TheHolo.Net Admin
    OG Forum Overlord

AKA
    Holly
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

I am using tags, yes.

Strange that I can't see them, then. Might be the the theme you're using.

TheHolo.Net Admin
    OG Forum Overlord

AKA
    Holly
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

They show up if you view through the dashboard I believe.

I'm not seeing the tags either, I checked using both IE and Chrome.

I'm a tag freak. I should be ashamed of some of the tags I've come up with.

TheHolo.Net Admin
    OG Forum Overlord

AKA
    Holly
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

well, I'm adding them let me see what I'm doing wrong

edit: they are there, I really don't know what to say about it other than that, lol. They aren't on the style I picked I guess but they're on the dashboard.

Banner Laverick
    I see them on my dash, so they should be working. Followed Rutabaga, because why not? I could use even MORE fandom on my dash.

Even if we have non-rp writing up, as long as you put out original content, you should get interest. I agree about adding some kind of disclaimer - even if you add an "About" page. IDK about that theme, but you can find ones that have links added on the sidebar.

If you need help with theme stuff/anything, just ask.

Tags on reblogs only affect people who follow you; they won't show up in searches. Tagging is probably the best way to get things found, and I can "signal boost" stuff to try and get more people looking at it. :-s
    Last edited by Banner Laverick; Mar 17th, 2013 at 06:14:01 PM.

TheHolo.Net Admin
    OG Forum Overlord

AKA
    Holly
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Yeah I can add an About page, that make sense.

edit: did some stuff maybe that helps?

Using #original characters #Star Wars #Star Wars RP (or) #Mutants #Mutants RP (or) well I haven't posted any WoD or anything else but the first two but it would be about the same. Also #rp #text rp (idk really I'm just throwing stuff out there) and #fiction
    Last edited by Lilaena De'Ville; Mar 17th, 2013 at 06:37:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Banner Laverick View Post
    I see them on my dash, so they should be working. Followed Rutabaga, because why not? I could use even MORE fandom on my dash.

Even if we have non-rp writing up, as long as you put out original content, you should get interest. I agree about adding some kind of disclaimer - even if you add an "About" page. IDK about that theme, but you can find ones that have links added on the sidebar.

If you need help with theme stuff/anything, just ask.

Tags on reblogs only affect people who follow you; they won't show up in searches. Tagging is probably the best way to get things found, and I can "signal boost" stuff to try and get more people looking at it. :-s
    Prepare for a fandom avalanche!

And even though I'm not an RPer, I can definitely do the "signal boost" thingie too. I now have over 300 followers () so I can reach a decent amount of people.

TheHolo.Net Admin
    OG Forum Overlord

AKA
    Holly
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

I don't know what signal boosting means but feel free!

Re-blogging is what I think they're referring to, Holly. Gets it out to more people, better chance of it being seen by people browsing the tags, etc.

Banner Laverick
    Signal boosting is when someone posts something, and ask others to reblog it and get the word out. An example would be for a petition or a charity - if you can't donate, you can at least pass it on to people who might. It's like a more concentrated effort then a simple reblog.

Again, reblogging with tags doesn't show up in searches, so you're basically asking in a signal boost for people to pass it on.

Soon Holly, you'll be one of us and you'll never be on Fans. Only tumblr! XD

TheHolo.Net Admin
    OG Forum Overlord

AKA
    Holly
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

one of us one of us one of us

Probably doing little 'character profiles' is something I could do too, providing people wanted to allow me to use their characters.

You don't have to say "don't use my character/s" because I won't unless you specifically post here and say "go ahead and use my character/s and RPs and bring me internet fame"

Go ahead and use my character/s and RPs and bring me internet fame!

Like that?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast