Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345

Thread: Man of Steel (2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Droo View Post
    There's a good reason why Zimmer's new theme works so well for Superman. Listen to how compatible it is with John Williams's original theme.

https://soundcloud.com/geekremixed/l...a-man-of-steel

Love it.
    What I really love about the movie is that it feels like Superman music without being a carbon copy of the original, and it also brings something fresh and new to the table. It's like the Star Trek soundtracks: the composers understood what the music is meant to be about in terms of themes, instruments, and what-not, and they made something that works really well hand-in-hand with the original stuff. It's a big part of how both movies managed to create their own identity without divorcing completely from the originals.

Because of how compatible new and old Superman is though, it makes me wonder if next movie - as Clark becomes closer and closer to the Superman we know and recognise - if we'll start getting flickers of the original score being echoed in the soundtrack... similar to what that remix has done.
    It's like that, and that's the way it is.

TheHolo.Net Poster
    Has been a member for 5 years or longer

AKA
    Droo
    Gamer IDs

Steam ID: droogydroo
    I personally would like them to stay away from the original theme to keep this new take on Superman completely independent from what came before. If the old Danny Elfman theme crept into Zimmer's Dark Knight scores, I think it would've been out of place, and the same goes for Williams's theme. The new theme works well enough on it's on, while still managing to invoke the spirit of the original, but then I've been quite ruthless when it comes to matters of film music lately. In a recent discussion with Peter, I mentioned that I'd be in favour of a whole new Star Wars theme for the new films, and I'm aware just how much that makes me sound like a heretic but yeah, new music is awesome.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not suggesting they lift the whole thing or what have you. But a couple of familiar bars here and there might be nice.

TheHolo.Net Admin

Baroness Scorpion #2
    Lesbian Overlord of SWFans

DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Jenny
    Finally got around to watching this tonight - and was pleasantly surprised at how quickly it went by!

I agree with most of what's been said so far, particularly in regards to the film's strongest moments. The cast was wonderful (Cavill especially), the score gave me the sniffles and I got a real kick out of Lois's last line, like everyone else

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345