Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789

Thread: Doctor Who, Series Six - "The Doctor, The Legs, The Nose, and Mrs. Robinson."

Hard to say how it would work until we hear further details. There were 2 films made in the 60s with Peter Cushing as The Doctor, but that was very early in the series before ideas like regeneration, Time Lords, The Master etc were ever imagined (heck, I think The Doctor is those films was actually a human from Earth). Plus the fact that back then they made movies for every other popular TV series anyway.

From the sounds of it they're starting from the beginning all over again.

"A Jedi must remain focused. Mastery of the Force requires that all unnecessary activities be purged from daily life."

TheHolo.Net Admin

Baroness Scorpion #2
    Lesbian Overlord of SWFans

DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Jenny
    Do not want.

d'Art Lefou
    Who wants to guess that if it goes forward, they get someone like James bloody McAvoy to play the Doctor? x___x

...In a completely unrelated note, following a discussion about the show in general, I'm starting a campaign to make Lauren Socha the next companion.

TheHolo.Net Admin

Baroness Scorpion #2

DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Jenny
    Trailer for this years Christmas special:

Samantha Koortyn
    Just wanted to say the title of this thread made me grin. I especially love River's next line in that episode: "Oh, I hate you..."

The Christmas episode looks good.

TheHolo.Net Admin

Baroness Scorpion #2

DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Jenny
    So, the Christmas special will be on - in pride of place on the BBC - at 7pm on Christmas Day

Here's one of the BBCs Christmad ads which features Matt and Karen playing Twister with a Cyberman :3

TheHolo.Net Admin

Baroness Scorpion #2

DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Jenny
    The debate about the movie is getting kind of silly now: http://www.themarysue.com/moffat-ref...es-doctor-who/

I’m not sure who or what to believe anymore. Talk of a Doctor Who movie is something that’s floated around for a while but was recently renewed when Harry Potter director David Yates announced he was going to direct it. Well that got more than a few people in a tizzy, fans and creators alike. Now current showrunner Steven Moffat has come out to “lay down the law,” as it were, on what will and won’t be happening in a potential Doctor Who movie.

“To clarify: any Doctor Who movie would be made by the BBC team, star the current TV Doctor and certainly NOT be a Hollywood reboot,” Moffat tweeted. Interesting because in his original interview, Yates made it clear that his adaptation would NOT follow the current BBC TV series, but would be a “radical transformation.” ”Russell T. Davies and then Steven Moffat have done their own transformations, which were fantastic, but we have to put that aside and start from scratch,” said Yates.

TheHolo.Net Admin

Baroness Scorpion #2

DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Jenny
    We have a short prequel trailer!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/dw/videos/p00m7qjb

Smithereening! Another piece of Whovian technobabble to try and work into every-day conversations. :3
    It's like that, and that's the way it is.

TheHolo.Net Admin

Baroness Scorpion #2

DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Jenny
    Another brief clip!

TheHolo.Net Admin

Baroness Scorpion #2

DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Jenny
    Stephen Moffat: "The final days of the Ponds are coming during the next series. Then the Doctor will meet a new friend!"

TheHolo.Net Admin

Baroness Scorpion #2

DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Jenny
    Well, there wasn't a whole lot of Narnia to The Doctor, The Widow and the Wardrobe - aside from the WW2 setting and the frosty forest - but it was a nice enough Christmas episode. I didn't feel like it tugged on my emotions as much as last years Christmas special, but then it felt like Stephen Moffat had gone for a much more comic feel than last year.

I was a little surprised to see at the end the Doctor crying as Amy invited him in for Christmas dinner. I was almost certain that he was going to just walk back out to the Tardis once Amy had disappeared back inside, because that seems much more like something the Doctor would do (at least Matt Smith's version, maybe not his predecessors). Given the fact that the main story had a happy ending, I suppose it shouldn't surprise me that the Doctor would allow himself to be happy too.

I was a little disappointed that there was no foreshadowing for what we were going to expect in Series 7. I know that last years special didn't really foreshadow either, but the gap between A Christmas Carol and The Impossible Astronaut was only about 4 months. We have until 'late 2012' before the Doctor returns and, aside from the departure of the Ponds and some hinting about the Fields of Trensalore and DOC TOR WHO?, not a lot to go on.

Mostly I'm just miffed that we have to wait so long for another episode

Avis Satyra
    I was a little disappointed. I felt that the supporting characters were a little lacking this time around - they seemed to gloss over any actual character development because they were too busy explaining what was going on and how brilliant and remarkable it was. Compared to how incredibly character-focused the Christmas special (and Season 6 for that matter) was, it seemed a little out of place.

Even the Doctor and his crazy house of gadgets fell a little flat for me; the "I know!" stuff was fun, but the whole chairs zooming around the room seemed a little naff... like they hadn't put the effort into the effects. Maybe the budget ran out.

I was chatting about it with my sister earlier - we think that it felt too much like a Sarah Jane Chronicles story: like it was too kid-friendly. It seemed like the Doctor was a bit too heavy-handed with how simplified his explanations were, and some snappy dialogue didn't - for me - make up for that. Maybe they were beta testing a potential new CBBC spinoff? They certainly hammered home the rapport between the Doctor and whats-her-name.

Part of me is a smidge disappointed that Alexander Armstrong didn't have a moustache, and didn't say "innit tho, blood?" in a really posh British accent, too.

They've just confirmed a new guest star for the third episode of next season, which is apparently about Cowboys (and Aliens?)...

Ben fucking Browder

Excuse me a minute, I got very excited and think I need to lie down.

TheHolo.Net Poster
    Has been a member for 5 years or longer

AKA
    Droo
    Gamer IDs

Steam ID: droogydroo
    New companion revealed, it's former Emmerdale actress, Jenna-Louise Coleman, and I know absolutely nothing about her, except... meow!

TheHolo.Net Poster
    Has been a member for 5 years or longer Tom Harriman's Avatar
    Hmm. While I commend the producers for their continued romp around the accents of Great Britain, I'm a little nervous about some of the descriptions.

"Funny and clever and exactly mad enough ... to lead him his merriest dance yet," eh? And introduced as part of some giant mystery story arc?

Much as I love Amy and Rory as characters, they did dominate a lot of the storytelling that went on. It was less about someone coming along with the Doctor on his adventures, and more about the Doctor hitching a ride on their adventure, as it were. With the Ponds leaving, I was hoping that we'd get a companion more like Craig for a little while: someone who has adventures with the Doctor, but won't necessarily have them without him.

I'm all for strong women in television... but since Matt Smith is the most "Doctor Whoish" of the recent Doctors (the most reminiscant of the classic Whos), it would have been nice to see him with a companion more like Rose or Sarah-Jane for a while.

TheHolo.Net Admin

Baroness Scorpion #2

DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Jenny
    She isn't quite as charming as Karen Gillan to watch being interviewed, but since we have no real idea about the character she'll be playing yet.. it's hard to form an impression. Hopefully we have a lot of fun and adventures and emotional journeys in store for us

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789