Talia is who I've been rooting for all along

TheHolo.Net Admin

Baroness Scorpion #2
    Lesbian Overlord of SWFans

DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Jenny
    http://collider.com/dark-knight-rise...i-watts/69587/

Today, we’ve been sent three very interesting rumors concerning Christopher Nolan’s The Dark Knight Rises. Before we go into what we were sent, it’s important to know that Nolan’s intense desire for secrecy regarding his films makes it impossible to get confirmation or denial on any rumor. There will be no official word on The Dark Knight Rises until Nolan says so. However, we believe there is some veracity to the information we’ve been sent and thought we would pass it along to you.

First up, a source tells us that Eva Green and Naomi Watts are going to be cast in the film. The source doesn’t know which roles they’re playing, but believes it’s Talia al Ghul and Vicki Vale, respectively. However, we have no confirmation these characters are even in the movie. We previously reported that the film would have two new female leads: a love interest and a villain.

Vicky Vale, a reporter who was played by Kim Basinger in Tim Burton’s Batman, would presumably be the love interest, while Talia al Ghul is the daughter of Ra’s al Ghul (played by Liam Neeson in Batman Begins) and in the comics has been an anti-hero/love-interest for Batman. Hit the jump for more rumors regarding The Dark Knight Rises, which is set to be released on July 20, 2012.

[Update: Heat Vision is reporting that Keira Knightley, Anne Hathaway, Jessica Biel, Kate Mara, Charlotte Riley, and possibly Gemma Arterton are testing for the female roles, so it's possible that Green and Watts haven't been cast. However, we have independently confirmed that Talia al Ghul is in the movie.]

SW-Fans.Net Admin

Good but Damaged Goods

DragonCon 09
    Naomi Watts is a great choice for Vicky.

TheHolo.Net Admin

Baroness Scorpion #2
    Lesbian Overlord of SWFans

DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Jenny
    It's official:

Tom Hardy as Bane
    Anne Hathaway as Selina Kyle (Catwoman)

http://geeksofdoom.com/2011/01/19/an...role-revealed/

SW-Fans.Net Poster

I might return to RPing if those scrumptious Gue twins would come back. Figrin Sandwich, am I right?
    Has been a member for 5 years or longer

I like that Bane will be in the film, simply because just like Ras Al Gul and The Joker, Bane can match Batman intellectually. Tom Hardy is a curious choice to play him, though. How they handle the more unrealistic aspects of the character though will be key obviously.

I'm not real big on having Catwoman appear, but Anne Hathaway is a good actress, and if they take the Selina Kyle/Catwoman character back to her roots as a burglar/thief/"Robin Hood" type, it could work.

I like Catwoman and Bane as the villains, I suppose there will be a new mob boss as well in the mix either Rupert Thorne or the Black Mask. I also really like the casting choices. I think it will be a great movie.

SW-Fans.Net Poster

Inappropriate for Public Consumption

I really think Nolan is shooting low here. Catwoman is a terrible fan service idea, as is Bane. The Joker is so intertwined with Batman that Nolan of course had to bring him in but whoa what a way to do it. However Catwoman really just not like that. Blech. You really have to make vast character changes for even a hint of interest and she wont be Catwoman so what's the point? Bane as I said is terrible fan service but I suppose if Nolan decided to make a few changes..... and there is room there. Guess I'll wait and see.

Bane is a great character so I think he will work. I actually like Catwoman and she is Batman's second most famous adversary. I think she is very easy to adapt into Nolan's universe easier than many of Batman's villains like the Penguin or Poison Ivy. I completely trust Nolan. He has made 4 great movies in a row, so I am not worried.

SW-Fans.Net Admin

Good but Damaged Goods

DragonCon 09
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Turbogeek View Post
    I really think Nolan is shooting low here. Catwoman is a terrible fan service idea, as is Bane. The Joker is so intertwined with Batman that Nolan of course had to bring him in but whoa what a way to do it. However Catwoman really just not like that. Blech. You really have to make vast character changes for even a hint of interest and she wont be Catwoman so what's the point? Bane as I said is terrible fan service but I suppose if Nolan decided to make a few changes..... and there is room there. Guess I'll wait and see.
    I think you're going to be terribly wrong, but i'll print it out and eat it if you're right.

People have scratched their heads at so many of Nolan's choices outside of Christian Bale and he's made everyone look like a bunch of morons for it.

Nolan is exceptionally clever, and little to nothing he's done has been "fan service" so I don't understand why you think he would start now. He's picked 2 characters that actually have depth and I think you're going to see the same stellar treatment that everything else he's done has gotten. I'm very excited to see what his take on Catwoman will be.

SW-Fans.Net Poster

Quote Originally Posted by Morgan Evanar View Post
    I think you're going to be terribly wrong, but i'll print it out and eat it if you're right.

People have scratched their heads at so many of Nolan's choices outside of Christian Bale and he's made everyone look like a bunch of morons for it.

Nolan is exceptionally clever, and little to nothing he's done has been "fan service" so I don't understand why you think he would start now. He's picked 2 characters that actually have depth and I think you're going to see the same stellar treatment that everything else he's done has gotten. I'm very excited to see what his take on Catwoman will be.
    Actually I'm not one who has been a doubter - Heath Leger for instance I always thought was an interesting choice and the choices he's made for villains and also his movies I'm a huge fan of. Also unlike a few critics, I think he does do female characters well - Memento (Natalie) and Inception (Mal) featured two extremely memorable and in the case of Inception a very, very shit scary one.

However I cant see this being the case and I can not see Catwoman being in any way a credible threat to Batman (or interesting) unless he does do a dramatic rewrite to the character, at which point she would cease being Catwoman - her presence really screams fan service and I would have rather Nolan said screw that and go in a different direction. LIke Talia Al-Gul

The problem with Talia is she is only interested in storylines involving her father. I also don't see Catwoman as a threat but as a love interest and something more. Bane will be the main physical threat and I suspect one more villain probably mob boss either Rupert Thorne or the Black Mask.
    Last edited by Jedi Master Carr; Jan 23rd, 2011 at 04:15:52 PM.

TheHolo.Net Admin
    OG Forum Overlord

AKA
    Holly
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Lilaena Steam ID: jainhollie
    Well, just because Selina Kyle is going to be in the movie doesn't mean her purpose is to be "A THREAT" to Batman. I think it'll be great.

edit: oh there's another page. lol beaten

SW-Fans.Net Poster

So, why does everyone keep calling me Mr. Blonde?

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: EquableJarl0 PSN ID: TXViking43
    Somebody actually pointed this out that I hadn't considered...they say Anne Hathaway is "Selina Kyle" not Catwoman. Do I think Catwoman will be in the film? Yes...somehow.

But would I put it past Nolan to just have Kyle in it and not Catwoman? Absolutely.

Btw, I love the Bane decision because it does go with Nolan's 'based in reality' thing. IIRC, Bane was created to be Batman's equal on steroids (literally. The Venom drug he took was steroids). That could work pretty well.

In fact, we saw Batman the Animated Series do it real well with Bane as a hired hitman. It could work real well.

SW-Fans.Net Poster

Quote Originally Posted by Jedi Master Carr View Post
    The problem with Talia is she is only interested in storylines involving her father. I also don't see Catwoman as a threat but as a love interest and something more. Bane will be the main physical threat and I suspect one more villain probably mob boss either Rupert Thorne or the Black Mask.

Why do we need a love interest?

To help him get over Rachel, duh.

I seriously doubt we're going to see any character functioning as merely "the token love interest" a la Rachel Dawes in Batman Begins. And, heck, even there, Nolan gave the character some agency in exposing Bruce to the criminal underworld, which pays off in Dark Knight when we see how instrumental she is in helping to fight it.

Remember that Dark Knight ended with Batman on the run after taking the blame for two dead cops. Now he's a part of the criminal underworld, fighting it from within. Whatever relationship he forms with Selina Kyle will be in that context. I think it could be an excellent way to make Bruce question where his identity lies - in Stately Wayne Manor or the streets of Gotham.

SW-Fans.Net Poster

Quote Originally Posted by Serena Laran View Post
    Why does he need to do that when he's supposed to be destroying anything that looks evil and in the process of being single minded about it?

The big point about TDK was showing exactly what he would need to leave behind to be Batman - a love interest goes completely against that point. There is no love interest needed other than man love of Alfred

TheHolo.Net Admin
    OG Forum Overlord

AKA
    Holly
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Lilaena Steam ID: jainhollie
    Just a joke, dude

Quote Originally Posted by Serena Laran View Post
    Why does he need to do that when he's supposed to be destroying anything that looks evil and in the process of being single minded about it?

The big point about TDK was showing exactly what he would need to leave behind to be Batman - a love interest goes completely against that point. There is no love interest needed other than man love of Alfred
    He is a human being for crying out loud. People do fall in love unless you have a heart like Voldemort or something. I think romance is a good thing in a story. All the great stories have had a romance involved in the plot. Even the TDK had a romance, although it was more of a love triangle.

SW-Fans.Net Poster

Quote Originally Posted by Jedi Master Carr View Post

He is a human being for crying out loud. People do fall in love unless you have a heart like Voldemort or something. I think romance is a good thing in a story. All the great stories have had a romance involved in the plot. Even the TDK had a romance, although it was more of a love triangle.

He's a crusader against injustice that has realised what personal relationships can lead to if he allows himself to be in one, think this through how dumb romance is in this story. It has utterly no place in what he has to become, which was one of the points of TDK - exactly what he has to be.

And what exactly is this about needing to have a heart like Vortemort? Come on, that's just ridiculous, people decide to forgo relationships all the time if they believe in a cause that much. And isnt that Batman? Frankly when the comics introduce romance, that is when they get their most ridiculous.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast