Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Can we make forum suggestions here?

Just updated the original post.

Few things of interest - after some initial suggestions there seems to have been a bit of a pile on of 'No' answers on renaming of General Discussion. The topic still hasn't finished yet but I think it's looking clear it's a no go. In addition, some people jump started the gun on the other general forums and this has also attracted negative feedback (so far).

So overall it looks doubtful suggestions #9 and #12 will be going ahead. Oh well.

Moving on, do we want to raise the question on SW Amalgam's future? We should also put to a vote whether we want a sports forum or not. Also, do we need to vote of removing the 'SW' in SW Boxoffice & Other Media, or should the admins just do it? (indeed going back to what I mentioned earlier there seems to be little interest in keeping 'Star Warsy' like names for the forums as a whole)

I don't think we need to vote on the forum layout - this will be naturally dictated by what forums we have remaining after all these suggestions are looked at. If someone really has an issue with how things look afterward they can raise the issue then.

Finally, I've withdrawn my suggestion regarding Communications - it was merely an offhand idea related to the discussion here but considering no one else has even commented on it I'm not bothered in pursuing it.

"A Jedi must remain focused. Mastery of the Force requires that all unnecessary activities be purged from daily life."

Proprietor / Admin
    AKA
    Ogre / Chris
    I have yet to contribute so I will with something very non-complicated and non-committal.

I am willing to make any changes as decided by the community.

TheHolo.Net Poster

The Scorpion Prince
    Oil my peanuts, you blood-cursed bastards.
    DragonCon 09
    Has been a member for 5 years or longer
    AKA
    Peter
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: CrusaderJ11
    This is a tough thing in my opinion:
    1. The SW forum is dead since we are not waiting for any big movies and we are not having vivid discussions about this awesome TV show a lot more people should check out (OK I said it... you can start throwing rocks at me now but the Clone Wars is the best peace of SW since 1997 because it cares about the OT)

End of Rant

The point is it is not really necessary to exist on its own if it does not get weekly attention(I mean real attention and not a SW related cartoon picture!).

2. Throw the SW out of the BO and other Media Forums because we don't talk about SW there either

3. If 1. and 2. is realized the non roleplaying people might lose the connection to SW that is suggested by the URL but time will tell if they really give a damn.

So the bottom line is: Are we mature enough to say that this is a place that started as a SW forum but has now become a community hub for people that like to discus movies, video games and life and occasionaly SW. And maybe some of these people do some SW related RP.

End of Rant 2
    Last edited by Crusader; Feb 18th, 2010 at 10:14:21 AM.

TheHolo.Net Admin
    OG Forum Overlord

AKA
    Holly
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Lilaena Steam ID: jainhollie
    I think our Clone Wars cartoon discussion thread is in the Box Office forum - it should probably be moved if that's the case.

TheHolo.Net Admin

Baroness Scorpion #2
    Lesbian Overlord of SWFans

DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Jenny
    I am in favour of the Star Wars forum being merged with others.

3. If 1. and 2. is realized the non roleplaying people might lose the connection to SW that is suggested by the URL but time will tell if they really give a damn.

So the bottom line is: Are we mature enough to say that this is a place that started as a SW forum but has now become a community hub for people that like to discus movies, video games and life and occasionaly SW. And maybe some of these people do some SW related RP.

End of Rant 2
    I see your point, and I am also concerned about the drop in the 'Star Warsiness' of the board if some of these changes are adopted. My proposed solution to alleviate this somewhat was a rename of all the general forums to a SW-theme but the vote so far suggests I'm in the minority on that idea. Again YMMV.

My original idea was at least to have our roleplaying forums locate at the top of the board (since we are, afterall, primarily a SW roleplaying site) so that visitors (and regulars) would see what our primary function is, however that idea didn't take off either.

Just going back to the General Discussion rename discussion (blah what a tongue tie) I did a quick count up of the posts - there were 9 definite "No's" vs 7 posts that proposed new names (and by that extension I would assume means they support a rename). There were also a couple that suggested names but I'm not sure were supposed to be serious or not so didn't count them.

Is that enough to warrant a proper vote thread by poll, or should the suggestion just be abandoned completely?

(BTW if it does go to a poll I think you should let people vote for multiple choices - I know I like a couple of different names that I'd be happy with either)

TheHolo.Net Poster

The Scorpion Prince
    Oil my peanuts, you blood-cursed bastards.
    DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Peter
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: CrusaderJ11
    I am not concerned about the drop of Star Warsiness on this forums actually I see it as a positiv development to a certain degree that is what I meant with becoming more mature.
    My personal intrest in SW reached a real low after 2006 and my love for SW was kind of restored lately but it is not at the point where it used to be.
    Changing the forums structure in order to make it more accessable and efficient is just a natural thing.

I am not concerned about the drop of Star Warsiness on this forums actually I see it as a positiv development to a certain degree that is what I meant with becoming more mature.
    Oh, sorry then . I completely misread your entire rant.

I don't see the level of SW-iness this place has as a sign of our maturity however.

SW-Fans.Net Poster

The [original] Black Sheep of SW-Fans
    Mmm, cheap beer good!

Well for me, it's like I grew out of the "OMG Star Wars!" thing, and along the way found a place where I could discuss other things on the internet with people I like and grew up with. I like how there's non-Star Warsy forums, I feel like the board is grew up with me.

Not quite sure why you want to change things up in the first place, get bored?

See? I post sometimes! More beer!

Just updated the suggestions list again. Been a few things happening over the last couple of days, including the removal of Collecting and the dropping of 'SW' in the title of Boxoffice & Other Media.

Fair thee well Collecting forum, it was great having you over these last 11 years. :: salutes ::

Poll on SW Amalgam still going for anyone reading this and hasn't voted yet. Those in favour of removal are (at present) 3 votes ahead, but it remains to be seen if that is enough of a majority to act or not.

Finally, an amusing mistake I've noticed: the main page has been slightly reorganised, but now the Starving Artists Apartment is located in the Roleplaying section??? O_o (of course, what's happened is that someone has simply renamed Creative > Roleplaying but left it as that not realising there's a non-RP forum still sitting in there )

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123