Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The Hobbit (2011) - No short jokes

SW-Fans.Net Poster

Inappropriate for Public Consumption
    Has been a member for 5 years or longer

Information The Hobbit (2011) - No short jokes

This is a interestign casting decision

http://www.news.com.au/breaking-news...-1225820820142

Bilbo Baggins is to be played by Tobey Macguire. And thinking about it, not a bad choice. Of course with WETA comign off the work for Avatar, you just gotta imagine what Smaug gonna look like.

SW-Fans.Net Poster

I might return to RPing if those scrumptious Gue twins would come back. Figrin Sandwich, am I right?

I'm not a big fan of Tobey Maguire, but I can at least see him in the role, so I'll reserve judgment until the product is on the table.

As long as the necessary actors from LOTR return to their roles for this, and they do a good job casting the dwarves, I'll be pleased with the cast.

Tobey Macguire was born to be a hobbit, so yes this is ace.

Delgado Xaanan
    Hmm. I wonder how contributory this bit of casting was to the fate of Spider-Man 4... if he quit SM first and got the call, or if it was indicated that he'd be cast if he did...

TheHolo.Net Poster

AKA
    Droo
    Gamer IDs

Steam ID: droogydroo
    Tobey Maguire is rather hobbity. Although I'm really not sure what kind of performance to expect out of him - only time will tell on that one. But it doesn't matter, Guillermo del Torro is directing so it's going to be something special!

Well that is still a rumor at this point. I first heard that rumor a few weeks back.

SW-Fans.Net Poster
    Summer Box Office Contest 2008 - Winner!
    Try the root stew, you will. Taste good, it does.
    DragonCon 09

I think he is going to be the perfect hobbit. Excellent cast choice.

TheHolo.Net Poster

AKA
    Droo
    Gamer IDs

The rumour's been debunked by both Peter Jackson and Guillermo del Torro.

TheHolo.Net Admin
    OG Forum Overlord

AKA
    Holly
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Lilaena Steam ID: jainhollie
    Doesn't everyone know that Bilbo was already in LotR? What are the odds they cast the same guy?

TheHolo.Net Poster

AKA
    Droo
    Gamer IDs

Slim since they're auditioning for the part.

Yeah Ian Holm is just too old for the part.

SW-Fans.Net Poster

I might return to RPing if those scrumptious Gue twins would come back. Figrin Sandwich, am I right?

As an update on this project in general, some unfortunate news...

http://www.theonering.net/torwp/2010...ts-the-hobbit/

I like Del Toro, and he would have done a great job directing this project, but I can't blame him at all for not wanting to wait around for this to finally take off when there's other projects I'm sure he wants to do. He will continue to help as a writer, but he won't be in the directors chair. Peter Jackson has said that they are already looking at options for a new director, but he also has said that if necessary, he'll step in and direct the films himself.

With everything still mired down because of MGM's financial mess, don't count on seeing this any time soon.

TheHolo.Net Admin

Baroness Scorpion #2
    Lesbian Overlord of SWFans

DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Jenny
    I'd rather wait and get something great then have it rushed.

TheHolo.Net Poster

The Scorpion Prince
    Oil my peanuts, you blood-cursed bastards.
    DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Peter
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: CrusaderJ11
    What I do not understand here is why they can't green light this flick. Isn't it obvious that this movie is going to get back the money no matter how much you put in?

SW-Fans.Net Poster

Quote Originally Posted by Crusader View Post
    What I do not understand here is why they can't green light this flick. Isn't it obvious that this movie is going to get back the money no matter how much you put in?
    There's a whole history of the issues on theonering.net, but basically it comes down to MGM having about 140 different debt holders who now control the sale of the studio, and they are not going to approve a sale beneath what they believe the studio and it's IP is worth. MGM had signed the contract with Warner Bros. to make the films (WB produces the films, MGM distributes them; MGM had the original film rights for The Hobbit), but with the studio's future an unknown, all projects it has ties to are on hold until either MGM is sold, or an arrangement is made involving MGM selling the distribution rights (which won't happen, because those distribution rights are one of the main attractions to lure a buyer). Not just The Hobbit is affected, this is the reason why the next James Bond film is on hold as well.

The main suitor for MGM was Lionsgate, but it's been reported that they have dropped out of the bidding.

Yeah the MGM sale is the problem. it is the same reason the next Bond film was delayed. The rumor is WB is trying to buy MGM, but it has some ways to go.

TheHolo.Net Admin

Baroness Scorpion #2
    Lesbian Overlord of SWFans

DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Jenny
    http://www.cinemablend.com/new/The-H...ing-21239.html

The Wrap is reporting from an unnamed inside source that The Hobbit has now gotten its official greenlight and that Peter Jackson officially holds the title of not only producer and writer, but director as well. The article says that the production is scheduled to begin in February, but they haven't yet confirmed who will take the lead role of Bilbo Baggins (though Martin Freeman has been heavily rumored). Jackson is, of course, the second director to be named for the project after Guillermo del Toro dropped the project in May.

SW-Fans.Net Poster

theonering.net has several stories tied to this as well. It looks like it's legit that the project has been greenlighted. Still kind of disappointed that Guillermo del Toro won't be directing, but I think everyone can be confident that Peter Jackson will do a good job with it. It looks like he's sticking with the screenplay that he co-wrote with Fran Walsh, Phillipa Boyens and Guillermo del Toro.

There's still the whole labor union issue to deal with as well. Hopefully that won't delay things any further.

TheHolo.Net Admin
    OG Forum Overlord

AKA
    Holly
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Lilaena Steam ID: jainhollie
    I like how Peter Jackson was all "You guys can refuse to work with Hollywood, that's fine, we'll just take our business elsewhere." New Zealand actors guild will cave, I'm sure.

oh what a tangled web I weave

TheHolo.Net Poster

AKA
    Droo
    Gamer IDs

Martin Freeman will make a great hobbit, but the casting of Mitchell the vampire and Sir Guy of Gisborne is awesome news!

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast