Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Open Wounds

Ariadne moved then, shortening the distance between the two. Drawing close, the Glaucan slowly drew the scroll he held from his hand to set it back in its' previous resting place.

"I would like to think," she started quietly, "That I have begun the end to your rivalry with him."

Csephion Draxus
    He smiled wistfully.

"Perhaps with Varo, but there will always be another. Power never stands completely unopposed."

The soft oranges of waning sunlight felt warm on her skin, and she pulled in a long breath. Night would be upon them soon.

"I do not expect you to remain as such, but you have traded Varo for a much worthier opponent to be had in Ankaa."

She studied him, his features, his posture.

"As well, you have taken steps to secure the Fold - and Fyrian - as your own."

Csephion Draxus
    "As Necia's own."

Draxus nodded.

"Whatever power is entrusted to me, it is to that end. Make no mistake, I am not and shall never be a tyrant."

Ariadne gave him a smile, resting a warm palm over his cheek.

"It is not my intention to imply such a thing."

She pulled away, returning to his desk so that she could pour herself a glass of wine. She thought of the last few days, her return, and the aftershocks that her actions had caused. And, she thought of Glasswater.

The Glaucan alleviated an itch that had begun to form just below her neck.

"My navigator; Mako pursues him to the Fian city."

Csephion Draxus
    Draxus paused.

"What of this navigator? Has there been an insurrection in your fold?"

Why was she telling him of this now?

Ariadne waved him away with a laugh. Insurrection? The thought was amusing to think of; that her men - even Glasswater - would turn away from her.

"Nothing of the sort. My crew is as bound to their captain as they are bound to the seas.

"Glasswater goes to Ha'lainn Inniu to bring a Fian to Necia for Weeta. I'm unsure of the situation exactly, but it seems the Bowl Reef is being affected. The magic there has become twisted somehow."

Csephion Draxus
    "That would seem consistent with what others have reported across Asga. There seems to be a change in the nature of the Affinities."

He rubbed at his temples.

"I am no priest, I cannot speak of such things with any authority. The Mer woman's transmutation of the Lantern is disconcerting enough as it is, however."

Something still troubled him.

"You said Mako was in pursuit of your navigator? This belies a lack of cooperation. What is the situation in the south?"

"Yes well, I left against his wishes."

Mako was not at fault for the circumstances he now found himself, and Fyrian felt a pang of sympathy for the man.

"Weeta was sent by the Mer Elders to find the Fian and ask them for help, but her absorbtion of the Lantern's power was the reason I fled North with her."

A worried look was sent to the Satrap.

"We split from Glasswater in the hopes that two quarries would be enough of a distraction and allow our unhindered return. Only the Fire Mages here could help her."

Csephion Draxus
    The Satrap steepled his fingers together as he thought.

"Is Mako's Expeditia still ensconced at Peer? Perhaps a courier can be sent."

"As far as I know, yes."

She sipped at her drink, recalling their short time in Peer.

"We took a small group inland to find Glasswater."

She stared at Draxus, watching as he considered her words.

"He knows who I am," she finished.

Csephion Draxus
    "And I assume he did not take to such candor as well as I, then?"

If she'd had to flee from the Imperator, that much was given.

"I will send a courier then. With luck, the news will reach Mako well."

"On the contrary, he was most understanding. He allowed me a reasonable leash, and I agreed to help retrieve the Lantern. I had my own reasons for doing so, but at the time they coincided well enough with his."

She looked to the window, watching as the sun touched the watery horizon.

"He would not allow me to leave once that was done however, and so I had to steal away.

"It is through no fault of his that I am here; he wished to continued looking for your other man, Denix, but my time was short and I had to act."

Csephion Draxus
    "Yes, Denix."

Draxus thought of the matter.

"I would hope for the best, but I fear it is folly. His fleet was dashed against a hurricane."

She remembered that storm, and the consequences it had.

"It was Denetion's punishment upon both you and my father. Be happy that you did not bear the brunt of the anger and lose your life as Kariun did."

Csephion Draxus
    "Perhaps it was. Ill-aimed at a man who deserved no such thing, but that is not my choice."

Draxus made a motion with his hands, as if to wash the matter from the basin of discussion.

"He was my military chronicler."

He gestured to the assembled scrolls.

Emptying the contents of her glass, Fyrian continued to watch as the sun slowly sank low, casting colorful flames across the waves.

There was always a chance that the man, Denix, had lived, but it remained to be seen. Denetion's punishments could be as complicated or simple as he wished, and the latter had been given to Kariun. Perhaps Denetion had something other than such a plain retribution for Draxus? Whatever it was, the Glaucan decided that dwelling on the matter would get her nowhere.

Setting her now empty glass down, Ariadne looked to the Satrap.

Csephion Draxus
    "Spend the evening with me, Ariadne."

He gestured for her hand.

"As long as you are willing, allow me to dispense my hospitality to you."

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234