Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345

Thread: The Magical Journey Home from School

Anna reached for the plates, putting them into the dishwasher as she talked. "Did I ever tell you about when my mutation manifiesta?"

The girl shook her head solemnly, silverware clinking as she gathered the utensils out of the sink.

"I was fourteen and looking forward to my quinceanos. My mama was so excited - as the only girl in a house full of niños I was special already." Anna placed another plate into the dishwasher. "I was at school. I felt like I had a fever. It was so hot!

"In the hall between classes I bumped into another girl. Missy Collins." She made a face, "She was a cheerleader, and sooo odioso. She bumped me and made me drop my books on the ground in front of my locker. I... I turned and grabbed her arm. I just wanted to tell her to leave me alone... but that isn't how it turned out."

ice, ice, baby

TheHolo.Net Poster
    Has been a member for 5 years or longer
    Jamie winced in empathy - more for Anna than for Missy. Anna had told her before that she was never ever to touch her when she was all iced up, because she got cold enough to burn the skin off your fingers. Jamie had looked up pictures of frostbite after that. They weren't pretty.

"What happened?" Jamie asked, even though she was pretty sure she knew the answer.

The last plate placed, Anna turned her attention to the pans the pizza had cooked on. "Missy's arm froze almost completely." She sighed softly. "I was terrified. She was screaming... her boyfriend was swearing at me."

She looked at Jamie, adding, "The paramedics got there quickly. Her arm was saved, but she was in physical therapy for a long time. Paolo got there almost as quickly. I think he used his power to keep some of the most hurtful words from me, but I knew what people were saying.

"Mama and Papa never yelled at me. They'd already been through a manifestation twice, with Alonso and Paolo. But it was hard... their mutations are not as destructive as mine can be. And school got worse. A lot worse. I almost had to transfer to another one... but I didn't."

TheHolo.Net Poster
    It sounded awful. Jamie's vivid imagination could easily fill in the gaps. Screams and angry shouting in a school hallway, footsteps rushing to see what was going on, accusing eyes all around.

The horrible sound of a body ragdolling down a steep flight of stairs.

Jamie blinked rapidly to dismiss the stinging in her eyes. "But things turned out okay in the end, right? 'Cause you had your brothers, and you all looked out for each other, and nobody was goin' to mess with all of you, right?"

She just wanted the story to turn into a happy ending.

Anna made a non-committal noise as she turned on the water in the sink and started washing the pans. "Era difícil. Kids would pick on me openly in the halls. My locker was painted with rude names... Paolo's too, because he was my brother." She smiled faintly, her eyes tightening in the corners at the painful memories.

"But Mama always told me that the other kids were special too. Everyone is unique, no? We all have the same choices, though. Are we going to say hurtful things without thinking? Are we going to help the new kid find their next class and invite them to sit with us at lunch?"

Anna looked at Jamie. "Accidents happen. My run in with Missy was an accident. I didn't mean to hurt her... I didn't know I could! But in my corazón... I think I did want her to feel pain. You know what I mean?"

TheHolo.Net Poster
    Something quivered in Jamie's chest, making her lip tremble.

"I didn't hurt anyone," she said, but it came out like a stammer. "I can't even hurt anyone. I just made them see me run away, and they hurt themselves 'cause they ran after me."

She was dangerously close to losing her battle with the tears for the second time today.

Anna's heart melted at the expression on Jamie's face, and she pulled the girl in for a warm hug, despite their wet hands. "Oh, Jamie, mi dulce niña, I know. I know."

The girl sniffed, her thin shoulders starting to shake, and Anna smoothed her hair with one hand, still holding her close. "But we must hold ourselves to a higher standard than the others at school, because those dark thoughts in our hearts might come true because of our special abilities. Like Spiderman... with great power comes great responsibility."

Anna blinked back tears of her own, Apollos completely forgotten at his seat at the kitchen table where he was listening quietly. "Things are going to get difficult, Jamie. But I will stand with you. If things at school are not getting any better, I can teach you myself here at the House."

She pulled away, hands on Jamie's shoulders as she looked at her. "But I think we should wait and save that decision for another day."

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345