Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast

Thread: 2008 Presidential Race Part three

SW-Fans.Net Poster
    Summer Box Office Contest 2008 - Winner!
    Try the root stew, you will. Taste good, it does.
    DragonCon 09
    Has been a member for 5 years or longer

It's not only the debate though, the whole "suspending the campaign" was a charade. The only thing I seen McCain suspend was his visit on Late Show at CBS because he had to race to Washington "to stop the economy from cratering". He literary made a phone call to cancel his appearance a few minutes before the show was going to air. While David Letterman had an emty chair, McCain sneaked off to a different interview at the same channel. The only thing that achieved was aggrevating Letterman. McCain did not make it to Washington until the next day anyway..

Letterman was really worth watching both Wednesday and Thursday night for his reaction of being dumped. For those who missed out, you can find video highlights at CBS website:
    http://lateshow.cbs.com/latenight/la...ighlight.phtml

Day 2 comment:
    Quote Originally Posted by Letterman
    That's what I feel like, I feel like an ugly date. I feel used. I feel cheap. I feel sullied.

From Slate:
    Slate predicts McCain's next 10 Hail Mary stunts.
    1. Returns to Vietnam and jails himself.
    2. Offers the post of "vice vice president" to Warren Buffett.
    3. Challenges Obama to suspend campaign so they both can go and personally drill for oil offshore.
    4. Learns to use computer.
    5. Does bombing run over Taliban-controlled tribal areas of Pakistan.
    6. Offers to forgo salary, sell one house.
    7. Sex-change operation.
    8. Suspends campaign until Nov. 4, offers to start being president right now.
    9. Sells Alaska to Russia for $700 billion.
    10. Pledges to serve only one term. OK, half a term.

"Dad, you killed the zombie Flanders!" "He was a zombie?"

SW-Fans.Net Poster
    DragonCon 09

Since we're in the funny corner..

(courtesy of Marcus)

SW-Fans.Net Poster
    DragonCon 09

Oh man, Huffington Post is on fire today. This stuff is gold..

Administration Official: Bailout Likely, McCain Lost PR Battle
    Concerned that the public relations battle had turned against their favor, John McCain and the group of conservatives who opposed the outlines of the compromise financial bailout package will likely back away from their recalcitrance, an official close to the Administration tells the Huffington Post.

The Republican source, with direct knowledge of the negotiations, said that GOPers and McCain were "scared about the press perception" that they were at fault for "blowing the thing up." The takeover of Washington Mutual on Thursday combined with the continued downturn in the futures and credit markets "also scared them," to the point that a bailout deal seemed within the realm of possibility "over the weekend."

The official's tone - more optimistic than that of key figures just last night - signals an end may be in sight on a bailout negotiations. McCain has generally avoided taking a stance on the set of compromise principles agreed to by the administration, Democrats and many Republicans in Congress. But talks stalled during a White House meeting last night, in large part, sources say, because of a power struggle within the House Republican caucus.

McCain had left the campaign trail mid-week with a promise to force a consensus. But it seems, at this point, that he will have done relatively little during the negotiations - save for possibly killing the earlier arrangement and providing an opening for the opposition.

"I do think that John McCain was very helpful in what he did. I saw him this morning, we've been talking with his staff," House Republican Whip Roy Blunt told Andrea Mitchell on MSNBC. "Clearly, yesterday, his position in that discussion yesterday [at the White House] was one that stopped a deal from finalizing that no House Republican, in my view, would've been for."

According to one Democratic aide familiar with the negotiations, House GOP leadership was hoping to save face with more conservative members on Friday by forcing consideration (at the very least) of some of the alternative proposals - primarily, having the government sell insurance to companies that buy mortgage-backed securities. The leadership would then turn around and praise McCain for greasing the wheels on this front. But the course is problematic. McCain has left town. And during the White House meeting on Thursday night, Barack Obama reportedly brought up discussion of the conservative counterproposal only to have Treasury Secretary Hank Paulson declare it wouldn't work.

... also this little story of McCain camp realising what we all knew:
    Report: McCain Aides Complain That Palin Is "Clueless"
    Radio talk show host Ed Schultz reports:
    Capitol Hill sources are telling me that senior McCain people are more than concerned about Palin. The campaign has held a mock debate and a mock press conference; both are being described as "disastrous." One senior McCain aide was quoted as saying, "What are we going to do?" The McCain people want to move this first debate to some later, undetermined date, possibly never. People on the inside are saying the Alaska Governor is "clueless."

On Friday, conservative columnist Kathleen Parker said that after seeing Palin in interviews, she thinks the vice presidential nominee should drop out.

SW-Fans.Net Poster
    DragonCon 09

A reminder, the debate starts in 50 minutes, at 9 pm ET.

The debate will be aired live by ABC, NBC, CBS, C-SPAN, CNN, MSNBC, Fox News, and PBS (most affiliates; check local listings). If you don't have access to american TV networks, check the websites for the networks mentioned. It will be streamed all over the Internet.

MSNBC.com will have a stream, and I will be watching that.

Jaime Tomahawk
    Quote Originally Posted by Yog View Post
    Capitol Hill sources are telling me that senior McCain people are more than concerned about Palin. The campaign has held a mock debate and a mock press conference; both are being described as "disastrous." One senior McCain aide was quoted as saying, "What are we going to do?" The McCain people want to move this first debate to some later, undetermined date, possibly never. People on the inside are saying the Alaska Governor is "clueless."

On Friday, conservative columnist Kathleen Parker said that after seeing Palin in interviews, she thinks the vice presidential nominee should drop out.
    Look, I wish the press would lay off Palin. She is a gorgeous woman, intelligent and God fearing who would make an excellent candidate. Just because her views on foreign policy are a bit confusing doesn't mean she isnt knowledgeable. She quite clearly knows where Russia is and she also has Canada, which I remind you is still a foreign country on the other side. She's a very quick study, and with her intelligence I am sure she will quickly grasp any political realities she needs to, like the amazing way she has come to the fore of the mcCain campaign. Her palce in the ticket is completely deserved and has nothing to do with her religious allies that are too smart to fall for Democrat trickery again. Her beign a pander is a blatant lie by Dumocrats who are fearful of a strong woman, liek the woman they rejected for a man who I have no doubt has Muslim ties. And I reject that voting against Osama has anything to do with racsim that is claimed to endemic in the Republican support base. Those dirty racists the KKK are supporting Osama after all.

SW-Fans.Net Poster
    DragonCon 09

^^ Someone lost a bet

Jaime Tomahawk
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/0..._n_129667.html

I mean, look at this woman! Look at her grace and beauty under pressure! Isnt she exactly the kind of person you want to be Vice President? I'm voting for Sarah, that's for sure because she represents all the values of Middle America and she is exactly the kind of person I could go eating mooseburgers with. I bet she can drink real beer too, not those fancy latte's that Osama has. She's one of us I tell you and she has the experience we need!

SW-Fans.Net Poster
    DragonCon 09

Quote Originally Posted by Jaime Tomahawk View Post
    I mean, look at this woman! Look at her grace and beauty under pressure!
    She sure looks good in her swimsuit. No denying that!

Edit: 12 minutes countdown to debate!
    Last edited by Yog; Sep 26th, 2008 at 06:48:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Yog View Post

Just another drive-by post, because this is too good not to share.

Here is all of Kathleen Parker's article. When a columnist from the ultra-right wing National Review prints something like this, you know things simply are not going well.

Palin Problem
    She’s out of her league.

By Kathleen Parker

If at one time women were considered heretical for swimming upstream against feminist orthodoxy, they now face condemnation for swimming downstream — away from Sarah Palin.

To express reservations about her qualifications to be vice president — and possibly president — is to risk being labeled anti-woman.

Or, as I am guilty of charging her early critics, supporting only a certain kind of woman.

Some of the passionately feminist critics of Palin who attacked her personally deserved some of the backlash they received. But circumstances have changed since Palin was introduced as just a hockey mom with lipstick — what a difference a financial crisis makes — and a more complicated picture has emerged.

As we’ve seen and heard more from John McCain’s running mate, it is increasingly clear that Palin is a problem. Quick study or not, she doesn’t know enough about economics and foreign policy to make Americans comfortable with a President Palin should conditions warrant her promotion.

Yes, she recently met and turned several heads of state as the United Nations General Assembly convened in New York. She was gracious, charming and disarming. Men swooned. Pakistan’s president wanted to hug her. (Perhaps Osama bin Laden is dying to meet her?)

And, yes, she has common sense, something we value. And she’s had executive experience as a mayor and a governor, though of relatively small constituencies (about 6,000 and 680,000, respectively).

Finally, Palin’s narrative is fun, inspiring and all-American in that frontier way we seem to admire. When Palin first emerged as John McCain’s running mate, I confess I was delighted. She was the antithesis and nemesis of the hirsute, Birkenstock-wearing sisterhood — a refreshing feminist of a different order who personified the modern successful working mother.

Palin didn’t make a mess cracking the glass ceiling. She simply glided through it.

It was fun while it lasted.

Palin’s recent interviews with Charles Gibson, Sean Hannity, and now Katie Couric have all revealed an attractive, earnest, confident candidate. Who Is Clearly Out Of Her League.

No one hates saying that more than I do. Like so many women, I’ve been pulling for Palin, wishing her the best, hoping she will perform brilliantly. I’ve also noticed that I watch her interviews with the held breath of an anxious parent, my finger poised over the mute button in case it gets too painful. Unfortunately, it often does. My cringe reflex is exhausted.

Palin filibusters. She repeats words, filling space with deadwood. Cut the verbiage and there’s not much content there. Here’s but one example of many from her interview with Hannity: “Well, there is a danger in allowing some obsessive partisanship to get into the issue that we’re talking about today. And that’s something that John McCain, too, his track record, proving that he can work both sides of the aisle, he can surpass the partisanship that must be surpassed to deal with an issue like this.”

When Couric pointed to polls showing that the financial crisis had boosted Obama’s numbers, Palin blustered wordily: “I’m not looking at poll numbers. What I think Americans at the end of the day are going to be able to go back and look at track records and see who’s more apt to be talking about solutions and wishing for and hoping for solutions for some opportunity to change, and who’s actually done it?”

If BS were currency, Palin could bail out Wall Street herself.

If Palin were a man, we’d all be guffawing, just as we do every time Joe Biden tickles the back of his throat with his toes. But because she’s a woman — and the first ever on a Republican presidential ticket — we are reluctant to say what is painfully true.

What to do?

McCain can’t repudiate his choice for running mate. He not only risks the wrath of the GOP’s unforgiving base, but he invites others to second-guess his executive decision-making ability. Barack Obama faces the same problem with Biden.

Only Palin can save McCain, her party, and the country she loves. She can bow out for personal reasons, perhaps because she wants to spend more time with her newborn. No one would criticize a mother who puts her family first.

Do it for your country.

SW-Fans.Net Poster
    DragonCon 09

Debate starts now!

Live feeds:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3032553

http://edition.cnn.com/video/
    (click live video)

MissJess
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaime Tomahawk View Post

Look, I wish the press would lay off Palin. She is a gorgeous woman, intelligent and God fearing who would make an excellent candidate.
    You also said that she looks fantastic for a woman that has had 5 kids!

TheHolo.Net Poster

No, Mister Belargic. I expect you to... die.

AKA
    Vince
    Within the darkness just beyond the horizon; behind the shroud that blinds your sight
    Gamer IDs

Steam ID: vinceisgreat
    What are the lessons of Iraq?
    Neither of them said what I wanted to hear: One cannot spread democracy from the barrel of a gun.

Well Obama said it was wrong to go which is close enough for me.

Most are calling it a draw. Although some are saying Obama did a great job on foreign policy. I think he did a great job there. He could have done a better job on the economy. Both struggled there though. I did like the body language. Obama seemed more friendly to Mccain and Mccain got angry and snarky.

SW-Fans.Net Poster
    DragonCon 09

McCain:
    Terrible body language. Blinks and shrugs. Gets agitated / upset easily. He was tough though, and on the offensive. His arguments will not stand up to fact checks.

Obama:
    Kept cool throughout the debate. Looked knowledgable and Presidential. My main issue is, he should attack more and call McCain out on obvious lies.

In conclusion, if this debate was the one where McCain was supposed to have an advantage (foreign policy), then Obama did just fine.

CNN had a graph that showed reactions from republicans, democrats and indpendent aligned. Obama consistantly tracked better than McCain, especially among independent.

No clear winner. The McCain camp already has a commercial ready with all of Obama's "you're right John". We'll see which side spins it better, but I don't get a sense of a clear winner or loser after tonight. McCain was solid, and I think Obama proved that he was quite knowledgeable on foreign policy. He certainly didn't come across as a clueless governor from the frozen tundra. My gawd, can you imagine Palin matching either of these guys tonight? It would have been a slaughter.

SW-Fans.Net Poster
    DragonCon 09

Early fact check up at New York Times:
    http://thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com/2...rst-debate/?hp

Anyone seen any online polls about who won or lost? I've only seen one on CNN and it's heavy for Obama, but it's early and we know squat until we see more reaction.

If I'm Obama, I'm splicing McCain's comments about Kissenger and Kissenger's recent quotes at last week's GWU forum because Obama was closer to the truth during that exchange.

Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast