Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456

Thread: Myth: The Sea Awakens

The notion of leaving her name - her family - to the wolves without any sort of chance at redemption was unwelcome.

"Fyrian cannot simply die. We are an old line; old as Denetion's waters."

Cneidon Mako
    Mako understood this. It wasn't an easy decision in front of her.

"Necia as a nation has an infinite capacity for memory. A Satrap, even as powerful as Draxus may be, cannot override the will of the Republic. There is only one office with power of that nature, and it is never given lightly."

Drinking from the water skin, he continued.

"Given that as it may, the people appreciate symbolic victories sometimes as much as actual ones. Fyrian is as much a title as it is a family name, yes?"

"To those outside the family it is more title than anything else. But for my family, it is our identity. Our connection to Denetion."

Her brow knitted in thought, her mind racing for any solution to be had.

"Would there be no reconciliation, even if I gave the Lantern to the Senate with my own two hands? Even if... "

A pause, and turning to look away, she went on.

"... even if I were to pledge myself to the state?"

Cneidon Mako
    Mako passed the waterskin to Fyrian.

"That would be a question for a politician to answer."

He conceded that she needed to hear something, no matter how unqualified it might be.

"But if I were one, I would think that you would have to throw your father's legacy into the fire, as he was the one who stole it. That alone wouldn't suffice, but it would be significant."

"Kariun's disregard for Denetion is what brings us to this," she grumbled slightly, accepting the waterskin.

A brief sip, and she handed it back to him.

"I suppose what happens next is for the gods to decide."

Cneidon Mako
    "The Gods, and Draxus."

Mako returned the skin to his pack.

"Needless to say, I think both of you would be better served if he heard the news from you than from elsewhere."

"He is ambitious."

It came out suddenly, but the Glaucan made no effort to retract the words. There were things that only she knew; what the Satrap had done and just how deep his grip into Kariun had been.

"If he isn't careful, he will be devoured by his people and government. I doubt anything I say or do in the times to come will dissuade him from any decisions on his part to appease the masses.

"Especially if what the masses want is my head in return for Kariun's crimes."

Cneidon Mako
    "I've known him far longer as a soldier than as a politician. He's smart enough to know how to use mercy as well as cruelty."

He spoke to her with an even voice.

"I know you're thinking of escaping me. It's a waste of time for me to convince you of what to do. What I think about the choice you make matters very little."

He cut through to the underbelly of it all, and Fyrian held back a scornful laugh. No, it wouldn't do to insult his intelligence. Instead, she crossed her arms, looking up at him.

She seized his words and expanded upon them out of mild curiosity.

"If you let me go, I would take the Lantern to Draxus. I could place it in his hands before the week was out, and you could continue your search for Denix."

Veiled though it was, it was clear that she wished to return to Necia despite her voiced misgivings.

Cneidon Mako
    "Even if I trusted you, and truthfully I don't, you're by far a higher priority than Imperator Denix. Even if you did march straight to Demos, I'd never be given another command for the negligence of judgment that would require."

He thought it over.

"Assume you're true to your word. Why return at all then?"

An odd, almost worried look descended upon her features as she gave the Imperator a sidelong look.

"To undo what Kariun has done and take back my crew."

A half truth at the very best, but she wasn't willing to admit to him the whole of it. Even if he might already suspect her true desires.

Cneidon Mako
    "And nothing to do with your feelings regarding Draxus?"

It wasn't an observation that required a terrible amount of intuition.

She pulled a face at that.

"Does that bother you?"

Cneidon Mako
    "No, but it helps to understand your motives."

Mako smiled.

"Draxus doesn't impress easily, if you're wondering about his own motives. Does that change your answer?"

"No."

Looking skyward once more, the Glaucan closed her eyes and took in a long breath.

It had been long enough; Erifa would have completed her task by now and stolen back the Lantern, and Glasswater would already be on his horse, away from the camp and waiting for them with their own mounts. Weeta and the Lantern would go with her, Erifa would ride for the Eastern Coast, and Glasswater would flee to Halainn Inniu.

Fyrian's task was complete, and she exhaled before giving Mako a thankful nod. In the end she wished that her deception had not been necessary.

"Goodnight Imperator."

Cneidon Mako
    "Goodnight then."

Mako paid his goodbyes and watched her head to her own tent. He went back to his own, paused, and decided instead to check on the sentry.

He didn't get far to notice that something was wrong. The sentry's body lay prone in the grass, and there were two fewer horses tied up than there should have been.

"Wake, you oafs! We are deceived!"

He kicked at a pair of tents, rousing the soldiers inside instantly.

She'd not gotten far before hearing Mako's roar, and it caused her to break into a sprint for the furthest edge of the small camp.

"Ariadne!"

Glasswater's deep voice reached her ears, and she breathed a sigh of relief as she caught sight of him. He sat atop his powerful gelding, the animal dancing in place with anticipation at what was to come.

Erifa too waited, holding the reigns of Fyrian's grey mare. Weeta had been carefully placed in the saddle, and by the bulge in one of the saddlebags she knew that the Lantern was safely tucked inside. Swinging up into the saddle, the Glaucan woman wheeled the horse about.

"Ha'lainn Inniu," she ordered her navigator.

A nod, and he let his mount surge forward, leaving the Necian camp behind as he headed westward.

Making sure that Weeta was secured in front of her, Ariadne steeled herself for the ride that was to come. It would be long, but time was now of the essence.

"Let's go."

It was all that Erifa needed, and she hissed at the chestnut she sat upon, and both Glaucan's headed north at a wild gallop.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456