Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567

Thread: Storm Rollin' In (Justice, Montana)

Two Dollar Jim
    That sort of black humor appealed to Jim, and his smile broadened. In a strange way, he could imagine himself coming back to Justice, and even finding a strange acquaintance with the jail cell as she did, though obviously he'd like to avoid that sort of entanglement.

"I brought you somethin'."

He slowly withdrew an object, holding it up for the deputy to approve, before passing it to her. It was a dime store harmonica.

With her smoke in one hand and the harmonica in her other, Andy turned it over in her palm, looking at it. It wasn't anything specially designed or fancy like she seen in a few of the trinket shops 'round town, but that didn't matter much to her. Harmonicas weren't meant t'be decorated in flouncy patterns. Least in her mind they weren't.

This one looked to have traveled a fair bit. Least as far as Jim had.

"Thanks."

Andy smiled at him then, shifting a little against the bars so that she was more comfortable.

"'Fraid I ain't that good with musical stuff though."

Two Dollar Jim
    "Don't really gotta be. It's somethin' that's felt."

He produced one of his own, and ran a couple of low, haunting notes on it.

"Good way to pass time, I've found."

Andy smiled wider then, thinking of the two days she had to spend in here. Seems a harmonica was as good a thing as any to keep her occupied. She stared down at it in her hand, and stuck her cigarette behind her ear as she listened to Jim play a few notes.

Whatever melody he played sounded lonesome almost, the reedy tone of the instrument doing a good job of accentuating that feeling.

"Sounds kinda sad to me," she mumbled, her smile fading away.

Two Dollar Jim
    A little self concious at that assessment, Jim gave a slight shrug, and put the instrument away.

"Just an example, I guess. You can play peppy stuff too. It's easy to learn."

Jim gestured for the deputy, and negotiated the liberty of a match, offering to share the flame for his cigarillo to light her own smoke.

His offer was gratefully accepted, and Andy pulled deep as he lit the end of her cigarette, murmuring her thanks. She leaned her head back against the bars, blowing out a thin stream of smoke.

"So I guess by the time I'm outta here yor gonna already be on yor way to Virginia City then."

She turned the harmonica over in her hand again, running an index finger over its' shape.

"Shame."

Two Dollar Jim
    "Don't have to be."

The ember glowed red on the cigarillo as Jim shrugged.

"Ain't got a real notion of which way he went. Trail's cold outside the Bareback, so I figure I can cool my heels a little."

Andy gave him a sorta apologetic sidelong look from her spot.

"You got a man yor wantin' to put in the ground. Way I see it, ain't no sense waitin' around near a cold trail. Less'n you think he's comin' back, movin' on is probably the best thing t'do."

Reaching through the bars then, she gave a pat to the toe of his boot.

"Ain't tryin' to get rid of you, jus' tryin' to help. Course, I wouldn't mind if you stayed, but ain't my decision t'make."

Two Dollar Jim
    Jim didn't say anything. It wasn't the answer he was hoping she'd have. Exhaling slowly, he stood to his feet.

"Well, I guess I could light out that way, see if I get any nibbles. If not, I'll at least have some place to fall back on."

"You should stay."

The words were out of her mouth before she knew it, and there was no way she could unsay 'em.

Self-conscious for the first time in a long while, Andy stayed where she was, staring down at the harmonica he'd given her.

Two Dollar Jim
    He shook his head.

"You were right the first time."

He looked away, looked back, and gave a little smile.

"You won't have to wait long to see me again."

And with that, he was gone.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567