Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Out of Nowhere

TheHolo.Net Poster

The namana berries taste like namana berries!

AKA
    Holly

Out of Nowhere

For months now James had been living a quiet existence on Cloud City. She had heard nothing from her half-brother or the crew of his ship in all that time, and still had no idea how to reach them.

They switched comm frequencies all the time, due to their job, so it wasn't unusual that she hadn't been able to get in touch with them. It was a matter of leaving word with the correct disreputable smuggler or pilot, and letting it trickle over to Sanis. She hadn't figured out who to ask just yet, but she was working on it.

She grown comfortable where she was, however, and had just recently begun renting a studio apartment with a sliver of a view. The tiny balcony was afforded a glimpse beyond a neighboring spire, and James often spent time outside watching the clouds as she meditated.

Right now, however, she was shopping, inserting her slim body between patrons of a busy 'open air' bazaar in the lower levels of the City. Occupying a space in the bulk of Cloud City that had forty foot ceilings, the market was a menagerie of booths and colorful overhangs, the stalls literally built on top of each other and climbing up the walls. Ladders and accidents were common.

James picked up a bottle of moon nectar wine from Ryloth and turned it over in her hands as she began to haggle with the Twi'leki female that owned the booth.

and if you go, furious angels will bring you back to me

TheHolo.Net Poster

Has been a member for 5 years or longer

AKA
    Geoffrey
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Karagane Steam ID: Davendude
    His life was sinking deeper and deeper into the pits as time went on. His brothers, the sith of Korriban, has been routed and scattered, their fates unknown to him. He had left them, given them shelter and then left them be. They had become tame, incapable of retaking their home from the Dark Woman and her assassins. Rather then succumb into depression and self-pity, he moved on, abandoning their new home on Corellia and traveling the galaxy. After that he had wandered, found Ashe and spent a few happy days once the business was Zanon was handled. And then he became restless. He had a chance at a happy, comfortable life with Ashe, but he just could not stay. Darth Lucid had called to him, and he had answered, traveled halfway across the galaxy only to arrive disgusted with what he found. A rabble of sith. All violence and no virtue. Was there no honor, no truth to be found within the darkside? Was it all wanton violence and corruption of the soul? The evidence said yes, but then what was he? Was he just a cruel spin of the creator's mind?

Then there was the business on Nar Shaddaa. Vigilante had turned out to not be in his knack. The Nar Shaddaa officials had been happy to have someone so experienced aiding them, but had balked when he burnt the old house to the ground, killing many of the wanted criminals alive in the process, but nevertheless destroying valuable property. They had paid him, but only because they felt obligated to. Afterward he had been chased off planet and told to never return. So he was here now, gracing the floating "Cloud City" of Bespin with his presence, not that they would ever openly accept him. That was the virtue of his kind. No home, no warmth. Just the cold emptiness of pain.

He walked among the people, his drab clothing standing out against the colorful coverings of those around him. Dressed from head to toe in a lot of black and a lot of buckles, covered so completely that only his face and fingertips were exposed. He looked like an adventurer, the kind that went into dangerous places for the sake of almost dying. Hardcore, some might say. But the look was offset by the red cape he wore, which was heavily buckled around his shoulders and obscured the lower half of its face with it's rising lip. The vibrancy of the deep red made it stand out against his drab features, causing people to see the cape long before they saw the man, which flowed down and around his body giving him an always regal appearance. Coincidentally, it was the same color as his eyes.

This city felt safe from his persecutors, a place he had find sanctuary as he planned his next destination, whether it be a definite one or a general direction. He hated being anywhere for too long, he found the landscape became too familiar, grating against his senses like a chisel. But today he ventured from his hotel room, spending most of his earnings from Nar Shaddaa on the room and board. He could not afford to spend more money, but walking was free so he might as well occupy his eyes by looking at the scenery.

He found himself ducking into a small shop, having to duck a little to make it under the banner in front of the shop declaring its name and products. A Twi'lek stood at the booth with a human female, but he paid them no attention. Instead, he looked at the colorfully wrapped and packaged goods that sat lined up on the shelf edge. He touched nothing, he was only here to occupy his eyes. But he was distracted by the sound beside him. A customer was arguing with the proprietor over the price of something or other. It didn't matter to him, but he wanted the noise to end. His long legs bore him to the shabby counter in three steps, and a credit chit appeared in his hands, the amount the twi'lek had last demanded. It was set on the counter. "Its on me," He said, his brain lowering from his distant thoughts just enough to concentrate on the words, and then he turned around again, eager to withdraw back into himself.
    Last edited by Zereth Lancer; Jun 27th, 2008 at 02:49:17 AM.

To give help, a way, a place, and a hope to those who don't or have lost it.
    | | | | |

TheHolo.Net Poster

AKA
    Holly
    James blinked at the suddenness with which money had appeared on the counter, barely a minute into her discussion with the proprietor. The Twi'leki female snatched it up and disappeared in the direction of what might be considered the back room of the booth before anyone could take back the credits. The girl looked around, seeing the tall male (human? maybe) who'd bought the wine.

He was turning away from her, clearly not wanting any recognition for the purchase. Confused, and on guard, James clutched the bottle to her body, mumbled thanks, and darted out of the shop. It was her experience that men who paid for food or drinks usually wanted something in return.

TheHolo.Net Admin

DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Christin
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: W4BSY Steam ID: ApexLupine
    The last time s'Il had been to Cloud City had not been the most fortunate of experiences, even if she'd somehow crossed paths with the Loveloxx, Arya Ravenwing. Even if that strange occurrence had been her salvation, the whole reason for her having been taken to Cloud City in the first place had been not quite so enjoyable. It was an incident that she would rather forget.

But, circumstances seemed to care not for such bad feelings, and s'Il found herself once more on the floating city, every one of her senses seemingly accosted by the sounds and smells of those surrounding her. It was like some thick soup that she detested wading through, but given Sanis' sometimes random flights of fancy in regards to where he took himself and his crew, she figured it best to simply smile and nod. The sooner they finished whatever business had to be done here, the sooner they could leave.

And so, shoving her way through a crowd of passerby, the Lupine took a moment to look over her shoulder at some sound that'd caught her ear. It was nothing important, just some yelling that had seemed to break out between a seller and buyer.

Her head tracked back forward, just in time to catch sight of a woman leaving a shop right in front of her. With no time to avoid the collision, s'Il wrapped her arms around the woman in a steel embrace as she barreled into her, hoping that neither would end up on the ground.

TheHolo.Net Poster

AKA
    Holly
    James didn't have time to drop the wine as someone slammed into her, nearly hugging her in their attempt to keep from bowling her over. She squealed in surprise, stumbling and nearly going down, but the other's strong grip kept them both upright.

Clutching the bottle with one hand, James put out the other to steady the woman who'd hit her. "Sorry, sorry..." She ducked her head, trying to hurry on her way, but then stopped. "Lok?!"

TheHolo.Net Admin

DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Christin
    Gamer IDs

s'Il blinked in surprise, certainly not expecting to see James in front of her. How had she made her way to Cloud City? Last she'd seen of the other woman had been in the medical ward of a Rebel frigate. The Lupine found herself having to play a fair bit of mental catch-up with the sight before her.

"James... ?"

The lopsided smile was slow to come, but it spread across her features with enough ease that the Lupine found herself quite delightfully confused at such a run-in.

Steady once more on her own two feet, s'Il tucked her hands back into the weathered and beaten poncho she wore. She tipped her head ever so slightly, scenting the air. She could detect James' unmistakable scent, as well as see a healthy light blue Force aura about her.

Despite the morass of people around them, s'Il let her eyes wander over James' features, taking them in.

"You're looking well," she finally offered, still somewhat thrown by this sudden turn of events.

TheHolo.Net Poster

AKA
    Holly
    A flush of happiness washed over her, followed quickly by a stab of pain. What the frell had taken them so long to find her? Was it that Sanis couldn't stand the thought of them being related? James blushed faintly at the memory of... Well, how were they supposed to know?

"You too," she muttered, her mood turning sullen. "Guess you weren't expecting to see me again..."

TheHolo.Net Admin

DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Christin
    Gamer IDs

Taking a cue from James' sudden downturn of moods, s'Il put an arm around her shoulders and began leading her through the crowds.

"It is an unexpected thing yes, but most welcome."

Even more relieving was the fact that James hadn't been discovered by anyone looking to twist her in the Force. But that thought she kept to herself. No need to worry the other woman in such a way.

They pushed past a group of Rodians, and s'Il pulled James closer, her one-armed hug gentle and warm.

"It is good to see you again," she whispered kindly.

TheHolo.Net Poster

AKA
    Holly
    She felt like she'd been swept up into a whirlwind, half-hugging Loklorien back as the pair wove through the market. "...I missed you." James sniffed, trying to blink back a few errant tears. "What took you so long to come get me?"

TheHolo.Net Admin

DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Christin
    Gamer IDs

s'Il thought on that for a few moments as they navigated the easiest route through the milling groups and toward somewhere less open. It would be good to sit, and the Lupine found herself rather receptive to the idea. She'd been wandering Cloud City for long enough that she'd begun to tire of walking.

"I thought you'd be staying on the frigate, with the Rebels."

Her voice held a tinge of sorrow in it, as she realized that James hadn't intended to stay there, but only wait until she was recovered enough before setting off with Sanis once more. It saddened the Lupine to a large degree to feel as if she'd abandoned the other woman.

"I didn't know that you were wanting to come back.

"After what happened on that backwater planet, I thought you'd had enough of traveling."

TheHolo.Net Poster

AKA
    Holly
    I frowned, trying to keep the unwanted tears away, and getting a little angry in the process. When Lok mentioned the 'backwater planet' it didn't help. I bit my lip hard, and blurted, "He just left me there!"

I glared at an imaginary Sanis, and added, "No one asked me what I thought about it."
    Last edited by James Prent; Aug 18th, 2008 at 03:08:05 PM.

TheHolo.Net Admin

DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Christin
    Gamer IDs

Guiding them to a small, out of the way cafe, s'Il led James to an open table.

"It was a mistake on our part, both Sanis' and mine."

A small consolation she knew, but s'Il could think of nothing immediate with which to assuage James' frustration as she lowered herself to sit.

"But now it can be fixed, if you wish."

s'Il rested her hands on the wrought-iron tabletop.

TheHolo.Net Poster

AKA
    Holly
    I sat down with a thump, and set the bottle of moon nectar wine on the table. "I don't know... I sorta put down roots here, y'know?"

I was lying through my teeth, but I didn't want them to think I'd just forgive them for abandoning me, just like that. "Is Cirr still a hungry bottomless pit like usual?"
    Last edited by James Prent; Aug 18th, 2008 at 03:07:23 PM.

TheHolo.Net Admin

DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Christin
    Gamer IDs

"He is. Which is a good thing, since he's the only one able to eat what he cooks."

s'Il frowned some at James, and leaned back in her own seat. It was easy to see that the other woman was still upset at how she'd been left to fend for herself, and the Lupine found herself trying to think of a way to rectify the wrong that had been done.

Instead, she found herself giving James a bit of a crafty smile.

"I don't think you put down roots."

TheHolo.Net Poster

AKA
    Holly
    I tried not to smile back, but it was difficult. "Well... I do have my own apartment. It sucks though." I sighed. "I'm back to waiting tables again, too. Which also sucks."

I waved away a persistent serving droid which was trying to get an order from us, or at least get us to leave if we weren't going to eat. "At least my hair grew back." I rubbed my hand through my short haircut, remembering how it had been half shaved off last time I'd seen Lok.
    Last edited by James Prent; Aug 18th, 2008 at 03:06:17 PM.

TheHolo.Net Admin

DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Christin
    Gamer IDs

"It did," the Lupine conceded quietly.

She fixed James with a solid stare, taking in the woman and the aura about her. It was so unmistakable now that s'Il felt like a bit of a dullard at having not noticed it before. Then again, she supposed that the reason for that had been simply because it hadn't manifested itself until that day.

Which brought the Lupine to her next line of thought, and she spoke casually.

"You have it, you know. I can see it in and around you."

A wistful smile.

"It is a beautiful thing to see, untarnished by those who would seek to twist it to their own ends."

TheHolo.Net Poster

AKA
    Holly
    I gulped. "It" could only mean one thing. The Force.

I looked around quickly, and then leaned forward with a whisper, "I don't want it!" I clasped my hands in my lap and tried to look normal. "I'm afraid of it."
    Last edited by James Prent; Aug 18th, 2008 at 03:04:57 PM.

TheHolo.Net Admin

DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Christin
    Gamer IDs

s'Il responded with only a lofted brow as she leaned back, and presently she waved a server droid over, placed an order for whatever local tea was in stock, and some fruit type of drink that she seemed to remember James liking. She hoped, at least. Her memory had started becoming fuzzy as of late with such little odds and ends.

Once the droid had whizzed off to tend to other customers, s'Il pursed her lips in thought.

"It is nothing to be afraid of," she started quietly.

How could she even begin to explain something like this to James in the openness of where they'd found themselves?

"It's a gift. A blessing."

And a curse at times.

That thought she gave a frown to, as in her mind that 'curse' was embodied by a single man that haunted her and no one else.

"I can take you to someone that will help you, or... "

The Lupine paused then, but only for a moment as her next words seemed to tumble out of their own accord.

"... I could help."

TheHolo.Net Poster

AKA
    Holly
    I drew in a deep breath, and then blew it out slowly.

"...really?" My voice was small. If Lok could help me, then I wouldn't have to be afraid of another experience like I'd had on that planet.

"If... if you want to... then I suppose if Sanis doesn't mind... maybe I could come back to the Layla?" I accepted a glass of namana juice from the droid, and held it in a suddenly trembling hand. "I... I really miss you guys..."
    Last edited by James Prent; Aug 18th, 2008 at 03:04:23 PM.

TheHolo.Net Admin

DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Christin
    Gamer IDs

The Lupine reached her own hand out then, placing it over James' in an attempt to still the trembling.

"You've no need to ask me. It is I who should be asking you to come back."

s'Il gave a gentle smile.

"Teagan misses you."

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast