Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: A study in Mutant Education (Cullen's, etc)

Stern
    "Sounds good. I'll go to your class, then afterwards I might find another subject of note."

Stern put his things away, following the other students to the place to drop off dirty dishes. "I don't reckon a person with water capabilities cleans all these?" he asked with a sly smile.

Nuro Alston
    Noru stood back, he didn't pick-up his lunch--he packed it--so no need to clean his plate.

"I wouldn't be surprised--saw some blob thing play'n janitor a days o so back."

Banner Laverick
    Banner waved a dismissive hand as the bell rang. "Sorry kids, but I have my favorite class this period. I don't think you'd find me surfing the internet all that interesting..."

Freight Train
    "I've got a little extra time before class, but hey, maybe I'll see you guys around?" She waved to Stern, Banner, Noru, and Professor Fedorov as she addressed them. Good to meet you, Goggles. Sunshine, try to brighten up. Later, Brooklyn. And uh, Professor, have a good class."

Stern
    Goggles? Stern relfexively checked the seal on them when she said that. "Never been called that before."

He really meant it. His mutation occurred after high school, and he wasn't the only one to wear tinted eyewear indoors and out. Some people at college thought he might have had some kind of drug addiction, but a bit of carefuly explaining sorted all that out.

"Indeed."

The foreign language class was typical of most he had seen in other schools. Verb conjugation, noun declension, vocabulary. Stern sat in the back next to Noru.

Professor Federov had no trouble keeping the class in line with her apparent military discipline and efficiency. One of the students tried to stealthliy stretch his arm along the floor to pass a note to another student, but was intercepted by the teacher at the last minute.

The bell rang to dismiss the students. Stern had written down everything he gleaned at lunch and made notes on the class as it progressed. He thanked Natalia for her time and the chance to sit in on her class.

Then, trusting his visitor's badge to get him out of trouble with the administration, he set off in search of a teacher who didn't have class. He was going to try to trouble them for an interview.

SW-Fans.Net Poster

Waiting on her social security payout since 2200 BCE

Has been a member for 5 years or longer
    Her own class having been finished for ten minutes, Evelyn allowed herself a few moments of quiet to idly stare over the expanse of now-empty seats before her. It had been another enjoyable morning for her, and she smiled in satisfaction; yes, coming to Cullen's had been a very good idea.

What little in the way of actual teaching materials she had was placed in a soft leather shoulder case, and closing the flap, she hoisted it up onto her shoulder. A warm cup of tea seemed the best end to the mid-morning, and perhaps even some time outside on the grounds reading.

Navigating her way to the door, Evelyn stepped out into the hallway.

Stern
    Stern wandered about the halls, looking at the posters on the walls advertising one social event or a schedule for intramurals. The classrooms themselves were also of interest. Stern noted the names of each teacher and the subjects taught.

Looking to the left and the right, Stern didn't pay much attention to what was in front of him. It wasn't until he saw something out of the corner of his eye did he turn to face forward. He was about to run into something or someone. The college student turned just in time to suddenly move out of the way.

"Oh, I'm sorry! I guess I didn't see you there. I was just reading the classroom placards. This place offers such a wide variety of subjects. Hi, I'm Michael Stern."

SW-Fans.Net Poster

Thoroughly engrossed in her own thoughts, Evelyn gave a startled gasp at the sudden appearence of the young man who'd seemed to materialize out of nowhere in front of her.

His apology and the offering of his name made her smile though, and she gave him a gracious smile.

"Hello... " her eyes took in the visitor's pass, and she tilted her head to one side, regarding him with an easy gaze.

"It's a pleasure to meet you, Michael."

She gave a nod.

"Evelyn Cato."

Stern
    Goggles. Michael. Lightbulb. Most of the nicknames were normal, but not often used. Even lessused was his first name.

"Nice to meet you, Ma'am. I was wandering around for a bit. "

He gestured at the visitor's badge. "I'm just visiting for the day. One of my classes at ESU wants me to do a study on a controversial topic related to education. So I'm checking out Cullen's. Spoke to some of the students in the cafeteria. Would you happen to know if any teachers have some free time in their schedules now? I would like to get a teacher's perspective on the school and being a mutant educator."

Stern chuckled as the phrase played back in his head. "An educator that is a mutant, as well as being a person who teaches other mutants."

SW-Fans.Net Poster

Evelyn smiled at his choice of wording, shifting her leather carrier to her other shoulder.

"Well," she started thoughtfully, "I suppose that I could ask around.

"Though if you need a teacher right this moment, I'd be happy to provide any insight that I can. I've finished my classes for the day and was thinking of enjoying the afternoon with a cup of tea."

She inclined her head.

"Care to join me?"

Stern
    "That would be nice. I have to admit, though, I'm not much of a tea drinker. I've had one cup of really bad Chai, some Earl Grey with my dad, and one mug of green tea when I was sick last fall."

Stern shrugged. "Well, I guess I better open with the basics. What do you teach? How do your special abilities help you teach (if they do at all)? Is it more challenging keeping a group of super powered children in line than normal children?"

He chuckled. Ms. Federov was no slouch about her class. It would be interesting to see Ms. Cato's perspective.

SW-Fans.Net Poster

She was quiet as they walked, thinking over the questions he'd asked. He had certainly come prepared, no doubt.

They rounded a corner, and continued on.

"Well," she started slowly; a stark contrast to the rapid pace in which he'd started his line of questioning, "I teach ancient history, though it's not exactly in keeping with the normal courses that other schools would taech on such a subject. It's more a course in mutation and ancient cultures with a minor slant on theological tendencies."

The two passed through a rather unassuming door that led to the bright outdoors. Evelyn brought in a deep breath, savoring the fresh atmosphere before heading across the grounds.

"Now as for my own abilities and whether they help me teach, I would have to venture that they do indeed."

She paused for a moment to consider how best to explain.

"I suppose you could call it immortality, though I prefer to think of it as having a good relationship with time. I've been around the world more times than I can count, and have been able to take part in many different civilizations."

She gave Michael a grin and a sidelong look. "It's very enlightening.

"And as for the students themselves, it is far easier to hold their attention, as my class is about them and those that came before them."

Stern
    The ESU student nodded. "I would expect longevity would help to teach something like history. So I guess the theological slants have to do with the gods like Thor and Zeus."

Faith nowadays was a volatile subject. Considering most pagan gods were no longer worshipped, it was no surprise to him that some might consider the myths of the gods to be based on ancient mutants.

"Things that can more directly relate to a student tend to hold the pupil's attention better."

"Is there a particular structure or order to the classes? Is there a particular focus on Western history, or do you also study Far Eastern history as well?"

SW-Fans.Net Poster

The grounds weren't quite as lively due to students being in class, but there were still a few about.

Looking up at the cloudless sky, Evelyn thought for a moment.

"That is something I allow the students to dictate. I act more as a guide that is willing to take someone where they wish to go. No one wants to learn about something that they are required to know, and if they are, their interest and the quality of their work is sub-par.

"But, if they are encouraged to learn about that which they enjoy, and possibly find a connection with, then their work is given such a life. They are excited to learn as much as they can about their chosen subject."

She led him along a rather meandering path that took them slowly in the direction of her own apartment. She wished to return her case, as well as prepare her tea.

"I let them focus on whatever past civilization they wish. If it is one that I was a part of, than of course I help whenever the occasion arises, but I am only one person, and cannot be in two different places at once."

Stern
    "That's fun. Student autonomy can be a powerful help in a classroom."

They arrived at the building that Stern supposed was meant for teachers to live.

"Which civilizations were you part of?" Sure, he was trying to do research for a paper, but he was also very curious.

SW-Fans.Net Poster

Such a question elicited a chuckle from her as she opened the door to the complex.

"Oh heavens, there's been so many."

Evelyn pursed her lips as she thought, leading him through the front entryway and past the elevator.

"Rome, Egypt, Sumeria, and I did some wandering among the Celts to name a few. I travelled quite a bit through early India, and lived with the Mongols for a time as well."

Continuing on down a side corridor, Evelyn stopped at the last door and paused, unlocking it with ease before turning the knob.

"I keep meaning to put it all down to paper," she opened the door and gestured for him to enter first, "... but it's a rather daunting task."

Stern
    "I can only imagine," he said.

He followed her past several doorways.

"Rome must have been interesting. The advent of Christianity, Nero, Caesar Augustus. You said Celts, also? What was that like?"

SW-Fans.Net Poster

Pausing in the dorrway to her home, Evelyn gave him a blank look as she took herself back so many years.

"It was... "

How to describe such a people?

"It was exhilerating. The Celts were a wild people, capable of inflicting savagery with one hand while allowing the most tender affections with the other."

A smile, and she bade him enter.

Stern
    "Sounds like something a person could enjoy. You don't get too much of that nowadays. The wildness, at least. Mostly you just get people being extraordinarily irresponsible and calling it being spontaneous and wild."

Stern stepped into the room and suddenly found himself wishing he could whistle. "I see you kept some souveniers. How many museums know about this? You have half the Museum of Natural History right here in your living room."

SW-Fans.Net Poster

Lofting an eyebrow, Evelyn half-smirked while giving an absent wave of her hand to her belongings.

"No museums know of anything that I have. It is best if they did not anyhow."

Her leather shoulder pack was deposited upon the couch, and she made her way into a small side kitchen to begin preparing her tea.

"Now. What other sort of questions do you have?"

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast