Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The Devil's Got Your Number

Paddy O'Sullivan
    The smile disappeared immediately. He withdrew his hand and picked up his coke instead. He drank, never taking his eyes from her, he finished and snapped the ringpull from the can. He looked positively offended.

"I owe yeh nuttin', love. Now, if yeh don't mind..."

He rose out of his seat and slipped out of the booth, and as he turned away he spoke.

"I 'av teh see a bloke about a blood cure"

And he walked off to the counter to pay for his drinks.
    Last edited by Paddy O'Sullivan; Feb 12th, 2008 at 10:02:40 AM.

TheHolo.Net Poster
    Has been a member for 5 years or longer
    AKA
    Erin
    My, but he was a prickly thing.. She thought, oddly amused.

Shaking her head, she gathered her few items from the seat beside her. She pulled on her long coat, slid her bag over her shoulder and casually joined him at the counter to pay her own bill. He couldn't just wander off after a comment like that!

While the desk attendant moved off to the register, Arabella couldn't help it, she had to know if he knew some other option for her. "Are you just toying with me? It isn't polite to bait those not long for the world..", she almost frowned. Frowning wasn't for her though, caused too many wrinkles..

"Besides, you're only put off because I'm not that easy to dupe. Admit it."

Paddy O'Sullivan
    "Toyin'? Dupin'?" he muttered to her at the counter, "Wha' do yeh take me fer, honey?"

Sherry returned with a huge grin, she said something about a good joke, and her arm reached out, he waved her off.

"Keep de change, love."

Resting neatly against her bossom was a ringpull attached to a gold chain. Paddy turned and skulked off, his hands thrusted into his pockets.

TheHolo.Net Poster
    AKA
    Erin
    She shook her head, hidin' her amusement which would only further aggravate him she was certain. Settling her bill, Arabella went to turn and leave, but her eyes were drawn in by the sight of the little pull tab swinging from the necklace.

Well, well.. Our Paddy has nimble fingers in addition to a desire to make pacts. That explains quite a bit..

She stepped out into the damp street and didn't see Paddy. Had he disappeared on her after all? Arabella was somehow saddened by the thought. Although she often felt small and alone in this city, in a pinch she did have very good friends close by, but she suspected he did not. Nor did she understand why she should care, but she did. Maybe it was as he said, they were both new to town and, considering the facts, they did have a fair bit in common.

"Well.. save the trinket for a pretty girl instead of a pawn shop." she muttered, not knowing if he was even still around to hear her. Then started off toward the penthouse apartment Fiona had put her up in..

Paddy O'Sullivan
    Just to the side of the diner there was a trash can, full to the brim with the day's rubbish, and behind it, Paddy sat huddled. He stared blankly ahead, and listened to Arabella walk off. On the other side of the street, three cars were parked and a handful of gruff men stood holding an animated discussion. This would mean nothing to her and the faint click of her heels disappeared. It started as a gentle spit but soon the rain poured once more.

TheHolo.Net Poster
    AKA
    Erin
    There was nothing to be done about her walk, it drew the eye. For far too long she had perfected the seductive gait of a courtesan, and still through no conscious effort on her part, her hips rolled invitingly with every step she took. A gathering of disgruntled sorts even stopped their bickering to glance her way while she crossed at the side walk.

She had nothing to say to anyone and kept moving, but as they started arguing again she had to wonder if they weren't what had sent Paddy into the diner in the first place. Her suspicions were confirmed when one of them rattled off his description. She stopped in her tracks.

What was she doing?
    She had no idea, but she turned around and was suddenly walking back their way.

"Pardon? I think I 'ave seen this person. He took my wallet from me at the diner over there and ran off.." Effecting her most wounded expression, and a heavily accented version of her own voice, she pointed down the street in the opposite direction.

"That way.." She even fluttered her long fringe of eyelashes.

They thanked her and started off on their fortunate lead.. She turned on a heel and carried on homeward..

Paddy O'Sullivan
    Rummaging through the contents of a discarded hamburger box was a scruffy brown rat. Paddy glimpsed around the side of the trash can; the cars were driving off and as they rolled by he ducked out of sight again. The clutter startled the rat, it looked up and caught Paddy's eye. He wrinkled his nose and it scurried off. From inside his jacket, he pulled out the diamond ring and stared at it. He decided to wait a while for the coast to clear, and sat in the dark, enamoured with the specks of dancing light.

TheHolo.Net Poster
    AKA
    Erin
    The doorman of her building spotted her returning and offered a cordially nod as he opened the doors for her. "Good evening, Ms. Balfour. Welcome home."

She smiled but was not in the mood to make any more idle chat. Instead she traversed the checkered white and gray marble floors, stopping in front of the elevator and pressed the up button. Unlocking her private level, she stepped out and let herself into the top-floor apartment. The first thing she did was step out of her heels and pad barefoot over to the windows. No way was she going to open them, she was still quite chilly from being outside, as it was.

Draping her coat over the back of the couch, she sank down into it's depths, lifting up her feet. She studied the patterened ceiling, not having the slightest idea what to do with herself in the big apartment all alone.. She was not used to being so idle..

Paddy O'Sullivan
    Sometime later, Paddy caught sight of the little rat retreating from the street into the damp dark of the alley. He stood immediately and it reared up on its hind legs, looking at him with its beady eyes. His nose twitched, and it hurried off again, this time he followed it. The rain had been reduced to a slight drizzle. He kept close to the walls unless he was forced to cross the road, always at the rats tail, which occassionally turned to glance at its pursuer. He on the other hand, kept his eyes open for unfriendly faces and familiar cars.

Finally, the rat stopped at the foot of a grand flight of stone stairs leading up to a hotel entrance. A suited man stood guard at the door and gave Paddy no more than a passing glance. He hadn't noticed the rat, which was stood upright again, it squeaked. Paddy fished into his jacket pocket, threw it a piece of cheese, and as it left he scurried off in the opposite direction.

A thick black drainpipe ran down the side of the hotel, he looked skywards. Numerous windows glowed with warm light. Noone was around. He gripped the wet pipe and climbed. When he finally reached the top, dismayed by his lack of success, he hopped onto the balcony and looked inside, expecting to find the apartment empty. But there she was, sat comfortably in her luxurious home. Then it dawned on him: what the hell was he doing? She hadn't seen him, he hesitated, then turned to descend the pipe.

TheHolo.Net Poster
    AKA
    Erin
    A shadow passed across the ceiling suddenly. Instantly on alert, she sat up and looked around not seeing anything out of the ordinary. Arabella was not usually given to illusions though, it had come from somewhere..

"Hello...?", she called, of course there was no reply.

Cautiously she rose and made her way over to the fireplace. Resting on a stand on the mantle was her favored katana. She didn't have much use for it recently, but she was more than adept when the situation called for it, Fiona had seen to that.

"Anyone there...?" Whoever it was, they would be better off coming out..

Lifting the latch on the balcony doors, she stepped out, blade tip forward and looked around. Still nothing.. Shrugging it off to paranoia she let down her guard and turned to go back inside..

Paddy O'Sullivan
    "I changed me mind."

Paddy held fast to the drainpipe, raindrops glistened on his pale skin, but his eyes didn't soften. He was serious.

"I'm open to negotiations."

TheHolo.Net Poster
    AKA
    Erin
    Her heart slammed in her chest, startled..

I knew it!

Setting the katana down inside the doors, out of the rain she hurried across the balcony again and peeked over the side to find Paddy clinging like a monkey to the drain pipe.

"Oh... Oh my.. You better come in before you take a tumble.." She held out a hand shyly..

Paddy O'Sullivan
    He took her hand because it was there but his right hand was stronger and it was with that hand he pulled his weight. Up and over the railing he scrambled until he stood before her, he didn't know what to say. She walked inside and he followed, dripping.

"Not bad, dis place."

TheHolo.Net Poster
    AKA
    Erin
    She looked around, appreciating the surroundings as well. "Thank you, though I can't claim it, not really. It belongs to a friend of mine. I have it on loan while I'm here, you could say.."

Arabella returned the katana to it's stand atop the mantle then stopped, quickly lighting a fire in the elegant hearth. They had both gotten wet and she hated being cold.. Forgoing both manners and furniture, she rocked backward onto her bottom and sat before the fire, tucking her knees up to her chin and hugging them.

"So you've changed your mind, have you?"

Paddy O'Sullivan
    "Dat's wha' I said."

He was clearly out of his comfort zone and the sight of naked flames didn't help. He kept his distance but felt awkward standing while she sat on the floor, so he sat on the floor also, with his back to the couch. His eyes shifted over the contents of the room; the furniture, the ornaments, the katana...

"I need a place to stay," he said, and winced with discomfort.

TheHolo.Net Poster
    AKA
    Erin
    Peeking over, her eyes actually showed surprise. Even if that was what he wanted from the begining, she didn't peg him for the type to just come right out and say it. The effort must have been great for him, poor thing..

He seemed uncomfortable, and kept glancing at the fire. Belatedly she figured she should have asked him if he minded, not that she would have let him burn..

Without a word, she doused the flames and replaced the ornate glass in front of the hearth. There was a thermostat on the wall, after all.. She cranked the heat up and sat on the couch, a few feet from him.

"A place.. to hide out." She confirmed.

"Well.. there are several bedrooms here, so space isn't the concern." Her concern was that he would rob her blind and these were not all her things. Most of the items were Fiona's.

"So how about that deal.." Her tone clearly implied that he could stay, if he'd behave himself..

Paddy O'Sullivan
    "If yeh let me lie low 'ere for a bit..."

He hesitated, and stared at his fidgeting fingers. Then he continued, his voice filled with resignation.

"I might know a bloke who knows a bloke who can help yeh, arright?"

TheHolo.Net Poster
    AKA
    Erin
    The cynic in her reared it's ugly head again. She doubted very much that anyone could really help her. Byron had tried. Others had offered, but it wasn't never quite right, and her fear always drove her to change her mind. Still, she didn't have anything to lose and everything to gain by letting Paddy contacts his..err.. blokes and so forth.

Already decided, she grinned at him. "And you'll behave yourself? No scurrying down the drainpipe with the silver...?"

She couldn't help but tease, he made it rather easy, and she hadn't been so amused in a while..

Paddy O'Sullivan
    "About dat," he said, grimly, "Reckon yer friend could take her stuff back?"

His eyes remained fixed on his fingers but he knew Arabella must be confused. He tensed and looked up at her, his gaze was intense and didn't shift from her, he couldn't afford to let it.

"Just fer a bit, while am 'ere... I can't 'elp it."

TheHolo.Net Poster
    AKA
    Erin
    "I can manage that, yes.." He seemed almost distressed to admit to his addiction. Being around as long as she had, she'd seen it all, including compulsive thieves. She'd pack up anything that would be missed, then make sure it was put somewhere safe and out of sight until she could have it shipped to storage, or Fiona could pick it up.

She wondered what Fiona would think if she knew that Arabella had taken in a.. stray? What was Paddy exactly? Was she signing her early death warrant letting him in at all? She didn't think so, he could have killed her ten times over by now.

"Ok new roomie, here you go." She tossed him the remote to the rather monstrous flat screen then went off to busy herself with grabbing the loot.
    Last edited by Arabella Balfour; Mar 5th, 2008 at 07:00:14 PM.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast