Page 4 of 30 FirstFirst 123456714 ... LastLast

Thread: 2008 Presidential Race!

TheHolo.Net Admin

Baroness Scorpion #2
    Lesbian Overlord of SWFans

DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Jenny
    I'm not going to be voting in this election, what with being British and all, but I was curious so I took a quiz to see which candidates policites etc most closely matched my own...

84% Mike Gravel
    83% Dennis Kucinich
    77% Barack Obama
    75% John Edwards
    75% Chris Dodd
    74% Joe Biden
    71% Hillary Clinton
    70% Bill Richardson
    43% Rudy Giuliani
    35% John McCain
    34% Ron Paul
    31% Mitt Romney
    30% Mike Huckabee
    19% Fred Thompson
    14% Tom Tancredo

2008 Presidential Candidate Matching Quiz

I guess that makes me a Democrat, haha.

I think Obama is going to win NH. I think if he does that he is great shape. The question is second. If Hillary finishes third I think she is finished. I disagree with you Jedieb about the money factor. Money means nothing. Hillary just is disliked by a lot of people. I have seen polls on CNN that says she is disliked by 50% of the American public. That is a tough thing to overcome. I am right now rooting for an Obama-Edwards tickett because they will bring much needed change for this country. Clinton is bought and paid for by corporate America.

Fraro Alvir
    ron paul is awesome.

TheHolo.Net Poster

Chicks dig scars, right? Right guys? Guys? Hello?

Has been a member for 5 years or longer
    AKA
    Charley
    Ron Paul is CRAZY. He sold his LP buddies up the river with some disappointing social conservative crap (ie, gay marriage, abortion etc) and maintained some of their moonbat economic ravings.

I know the LP is always desperate for credibility, but anybody who rides their coattails and fails to stand true to social liberalism is a con artist.

Honestly with Richardson not being viable, Obama is looking better and better each day.

Fraro Alvir
    obama is looking better everyday? what are is thoughts in foreign policy? how does he want to end our dependence on foreign oil? what does he intend to do about inflation ? here is a better question, what does he believe in? i know he wants change, but what does that mean?

say what you want about dr. paul but he has real ideas. he has raise over 17 million dollars and not a penny of it comes from big business or special interests groups. he is not moved by public opinion polls. he belives in civil liberties, the abolishment of the income tax and ending the federal reserve. he believes in the principles of the united state constitution. yep, that sound CRAZY to me.

Darth Binky
    I recently changed my party to Republican to vote Ron Paul. He's the only candidate worth voting for on any level.

As for Darfur, someone settled that quite nicely on the top of page two.

Right now America has military bases in 130 nations, yet no other foreign country has a military base on American soil. We do this, we claim, to protect our interests, to defend us, and all that good stuff. Well what if China decided that they wanted to put military bases in the US to protect its interests? We, as Americans, would cry blasphemy. What if they, protecting their interests, decided America needed a regime change?

America has lost the moral, economic, and social high ground. We have the recognition of being hated the world over. Yay for us. Right now its because of American foreign policy in the last 50 years. We keep having to pay for our actions in the past (we trained Osama Bin Laden, we supported a corrupt Korea and South Vietnam, our interferance in Iran from the 50s-70s) and when we pay for them, we make the world hate us. Ron Paul wants us to pull out of all that, because much more can be achieved through peace, rather than war. The mindset of the terrorist is that they hate us, not because we're rich, but because we're the dick who sticks his hand in everyone's cookie jar. Call me unpatriotic, but they're right. I don't agree with their means, but I agree with their cause.

There also seems to be some confusion here concerning Ron Paul and the gold standard. Currently the Federal Reserve prints all of our money. The Federal Reserve is as federal as Federal Express. Its a private company that prints money when we need more, and this has led to the USD being worthless compared to the Euro. As of about this time last year the Euro is now worth an additional 12 cents in the conversion. So its $1.43~USD=1 EURO. To solve this problem, and restore value in our currency, Ron Paul wants to do away with the Federal Reserve (which is unconstitutional by the way) and make it so that our money has to be printed in accordance with something, rather than printing it based on how much money we need today.

Jeseth Cloak
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Binky View Post
    I recently changed my party to Republican to vote Ron Paul. He's the only candidate worth voting for on any level.

As for Darfur, someone settled that quite nicely on the top of page two.

Right now America has military bases in 130 nations, yet no other foreign country has a military base on American soil. We do this, we claim, to protect our interests, to defend us, and all that good stuff. Well what if China decided that they wanted to put military bases in the US to protect its interests? We, as Americans, would cry blasphemy. What if they, protecting their interests, decided America needed a regime change?

America has lost the moral, economic, and social high ground. We have the recognition of being hated the world over. Yay for us. Right now its because of American foreign policy in the last 50 years. We keep having to pay for our actions in the past (we trained Osama Bin Laden, we supported a corrupt Korea and South Vietnam, our interferance in Iran from the 50s-70s) and when we pay for them, we make the world hate us. Ron Paul wants us to pull out of all that, because much more can be achieved through peace, rather than war. The mindset of the terrorist is that they hate us, not because we're rich, but because we're the dick who sticks his hand in everyone's cookie jar. Call me unpatriotic, but they're right. I don't agree with their means, but I agree with their cause.

There also seems to be some confusion here concerning Ron Paul and the gold standard. Currently the Federal Reserve prints all of our money. The Federal Reserve is as federal as Federal Express. Its a private company that prints money when we need more, and this has led to the USD being worthless compared to the Euro. As of about this time last year the Euro is now worth an additional 12 cents in the conversion. So its $1.43~USD=1 EURO. To solve this problem, and restore value in our currency, Ron Paul wants to do away with the Federal Reserve (which is unconstitutional by the way) and make it so that our money has to be printed in accordance with something, rather than printing it based on how much money we need today.
    Yes! Vote Ron Paul 2008!

You rock.

Drin Kizael
    Interesting statistic... only 2 candidates in the last 40 years who won Iowa went on to be President. Just throwing that out there to illustrate that Iowa doesn't mean everything.

But in this case, at least for the Democrats, it means a lot. Clinton got trounced. If she only places 3rd in NH tomorrow, too, she's doomed. Safe bet that Obama's heading for the nationals, because he's probably the party's only chance of winning in November and the grown ups in the head office know that.

Over on the Republican side, it's still anyone's race. Well almost anyone's. Something pretty miraculous would have to happen for Duncan Hunter or Ron Paul to get noticed at this point. I have serious doubts that the Huckster will even place in any more states. He'll end up an also-ran in South Carolina with the kind of focus Rudy and Fred are putting there.

I have no prediction yet on the GOP candidate. I wouldn't be surprised if they go all the way to the convention and still have a decision to make.

I wouldn't bother voting for Paul he doesn't have a chance. He is running fourth in New Hamshire. It would be like democrats voting for Kucinchi(sp). I think McCain is going to win the Republican nomination.

Quote Originally Posted by Drin Kizael View Post
    Interesting statistic... only 2 candidates in the last 40 years who won Iowa went on to be President. Just throwing that out there to illustrate that Iowa doesn't mean everything.

But in this case, at least for the Democrats, it means a lot. Clinton got trounced. If she only places 3rd in NH tomorrow, too, she's doomed. Safe bet that Obama's heading for the nationals, because he's probably the party's only chance of winning in November and the grown ups in the head office know that.

Over on the Republican side, it's still anyone's race. Well almost anyone's. Something pretty miraculous would have to happen for Duncan Hunter or Ron Paul to get noticed at this point. I have serious doubts that the Huckster will even place in any more states. He'll end up an also-ran in South Carolina with the kind of focus Rudy and Fred are putting there.

I have no prediction yet on the GOP candidate. I wouldn't be surprised if they go all the way to the convention and still have a decision to make.

I could see a Barter Convention come August. I think MCcain can get the move delegates but he might not get enough to clinch. Romney, Guillani and Huckabee could split the rest of the delegates. The last time this situation happened was back in 64 when the Republican party was split between Goldwater and Rockefeller.

Jeseth Cloak
    Quote Originally Posted by Jedi Master Carr View Post
    I wouldn't bother voting for Paul he doesn't have a chance.
    More people voted for Ron Paul in Iowa, than voted for all of the Democrat's candidates combined. That's something to consider. He actually didn't do too poorly when you look at it that way. If he does well in NH - a libertarian-minded state - then it could change things significantly for the rest of the race.

My plan was to vote for him in the primaries, and throw my vote in with the Democrats for the general election if he doesn't win.

SW-Fans.Net Poster
    Summer Box Office Contest 2008 - Winner!
    Try the root stew, you will. Taste good, it does.
    DragonCon 09

My money is on McCain to win the GOP nomination. As for democrats, I think Obama wins it now, and that he will eventually win in the national race. Obama would be a great president, at least with European eyes. These latest developments in polls restores some of my faith in american voters. I'm happy for USA

Cat X
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeseth Cloak View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jedi Master Carr View Post
    I wouldn't bother voting for Paul he doesn't have a chance.
    More people voted for Ron Paul in Iowa, than voted for all of the Democrat's candidates combined. That's something to consider. He actually didn't do too poorly when you look at it that way. If he does well in NH - a libertarian-minded state - then it could change things significantly for the rest of the race.

My plan was to vote for him in the primaries, and throw my vote in with the Democrats for the general election if he doesn't win.
    Democrat caucuses reported nearly 2-1 more people attending for Democrat than Republican so you are quite clearly wrong.Not to mention he is certifiably insane and no more than a popularist.

George W Bush was bad enough in 2004 - what ARE you pleople thinking for voting for someone who could actually be more crazy???? Do you actually sit down and study the real effect of his policies or do you just listen to small soundbites and go no further?

At least there looks like a move to Obama.

What Obama has done in the last few weeks is really stunning. Yes, it's early, and Iowa hasn't meant much in the past, but I believe it's been moved up so it's significance may have changed. Obama has opened up a 10 point lead on Hillary in NH. The numbers just a month ago had him trailing by almost the same margin. Surprisingly, he's also taken some points from Edwards who's slipped to around 16% with Hillary at close to 30%.

If Hillary takes second Obama can claim yet another solid victory and keep his momentum going. But it's still along way from Super Tuesday and all of those Southern states. I'm not sure how Obama is going there but Iowa and NH are completely different beasts from the Super Tuesday states.

And whoever said that Ron Paul got more votes than all of the Democrats combined in Iowa, you obviously don't understand what happened in Iowa. That sounds completely and utterly insane. Over 100,000 Democrats participated in the Iowa caucus. You're probably looking at the the votes cast by the Democratic delegates and assuming they're actual individual voters instead of delegates representing hundreds, sometimes thousands of precinct voters. If you think that a Republican candidate polling around 10% actually outdid the entire Democratic field than Paul may actually be the candidate for you. I don't think the guy is nuts, but he's basically a Republican Kucinich. Some of his ideas sound nice, but he's got no realistic shot whatsoever.

"Dad, you killed the zombie Flanders!" "He was a zombie?"

Jeseth Cloak
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat X View Post
    Democrat caucuses reported nearly 2-1 more people attending for Democrat than Republican so you are quite clearly wrong.
    Popular vote-wise, yes - but the popular vote is not very important in Iowa - delegate votes are. If you click here you will see that Ron Paul had 11,817 votes. Obama, Edwards and Clinton combined only had 2421 votes.

Not to mention he is certifiably insane and no more than a popularist.
    You were trying to use the world populist.

Populism means, "the political philosophy of the People's party," or "any of various, often anti-establishment or anti-intellectual political movements or philosophies that offer unorthodox solutions or policies and appeal to the common person rather than according with traditional party or partisan ideologies." There are a few other definitions, which are equally as positive in nature. So to say that he is merely a populist, only goes to prove that his ideas transcend partisan politics. Just because you hear a word used by the media on a regular basis, doesn't mean that they are using it in the proper context.

George W Bush was bad enough in 2004 - what ARE you pleople thinking for voting for someone who could actually be more crazy????
    Congressman Paul and President Bush are in no way similar. George W. Bush has very little respect for the constitution, has never been consistent in his views about foreign policy, and was never qualified to hold office to begin with. He rode in on the coattails of his father, with little real experience of politics on the national or international level.

Congressman Paul has been in congress for a very long time, has never voted in a manner that would go against our country's constitution, and has no intent to damage our standing with the world by expanding America's aggressive foreign policy. I really respect everyone's opinions on issues of politics in the United States - even when they're not United States citizens - but if you're going to just come out and start smearing a politician, at least do it by attacking his platform, and not his sanity.

Do you actually sit down and study the real effect of his policies or do you just listen to small soundbites and go no further?
    Do you? I've read most of Congressman Paul's book, A Foreign Policy Of Freedom, and I'm pretty well educated on the issues of American foreign policy and international relations. I can tell you right now that out of all the candidates running, only about four have solid and realistic views on the that one issue. Luckily - and to concede to your closing point - Obama is one of them.

SW-Fans.Net Admin

Good but Damaged Goods

DragonCon 09
    Yeah, but when it comes to domestic issues he's pretty much way, way out there. Gold standard?! It's clear his grasp of economics is delusional at best. We all know how that's worked out for the past 8 years.

Cat X
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeseth Cloak View Post
    Popular vote-wise, yes - but the popular vote is not very important in Iowa - delegate votes are. If you click here you will see that Ron Paul had 11,817 votes. Obama, Edwards and Clinton combined only had 2421 votes.
    I know well the actuall votes handed to the delegates are different as per different party rules, which you are trying to twist. Now if I can see the difference in a blink, so should you. My point remains correct.

Do you? I've read most of Congressman Paul's book, A Foreign Policy Of Freedom, and I'm pretty well educated on the issues of American foreign policy and international relations. I can tell you right now that out of all the candidates running, only about four have solid and realistic views on the that one issue. Luckily - and to concede to your closing point - Obama is one of them.
    You are not politically educated if you give Ron Paul a seconds worth of thought - and yes I am being delibertly provokative - and I damn well should be in this case because It is obvious his polices are garbage (Gold Standard??? What the hell?) and all he appeals to is a popularist section. Now I could sit here and spend hours picking apart his platform but it has been plucked apart elsewhere by people who actually have the time to mount arguments against it (Lord knows why you would spend that time, but hey, their loss) You are advised to go looking because frankly all it's worth is derision from me.

TheHolo.Net Poster

Proof that not all people who draw anatomically correct anthropomorphic animals are furries. Or... is he?

AKA
    Mitch. Duh.
    Strangely enough, I'm actually rather enjoying Huckabee.

Popular vote-wise, yes - but the popular vote is not very important in Iowa - delegate votes are. If you click here you will see that Ron Paul had 11,817 votes. Obama, Edwards and Clinton combined only had 2421 votes..[/QUOTE]

The democrats in Iowa don't release vote totals. Those numbers are delegate numbers not vote totals.

Darth Binky
    Hey folks, you're ignoring my earlier post if you still think that Ron Paul wants to reinstate the actual gold standard. He had an interview on CNN yesterday, I suggest you watch it, as he talks about the issue.

Page 4 of 30 FirstFirst 123456714 ... LastLast