Page 3 of 30 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast

Thread: 2008 Presidential Race!

Cat X
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeseth Cloak View Post
    I do know what goes into the design and manufacture of consumer vehicles. Mind you, I have very little knowledge about the internal design of modern reciprocating engines, but I have drag raced, rally raced and repaired/maintained/tuned my own RX-7 (and my MR2, when it didn't involve opening up the engine) many times.
    Real rallying or rallycross?

I'm not disagreeing that worthless light weight cars are cheap to make, but these cars are usually extremely unsafe (as you stated) and don't get significantly better fuel efficiency than the heavy ones. The technology to design very light cars that are both safe and fuel-efficient exists, although it's not cheap. For example, rotary powered vehicles weigh considerably less than vehicles that come equipped with piston engines. Rotary engines don't get very good gas mileage though, largely due to a lack of commitment by motor companies to invest in research.
    Your example is flawed. Rotaries have two reasons why they are not good on fuel economy - one, they are two stroke in nature and fire every compression stroke. More firing strokes mean more fuel used. Two, the flame front is slow and inefficent, leading to incomplete combustion. You can not design around either of these two issues, that is flat out the nature of the engine and means that as a petrol motor, it's toast and has been for two decades.

The reason why it's kept around is however is exactly those two reasons and why Ford and Mazda are dropping multi tems of millions into a unique motor - the very things that make it bad on economy for a petrol engine are the reasons why it uniquely will run almost any alternate fuel, ranging from natural gas to hydrogen. The fact it can run both petrol AND hydrogen in a production car today is why the RX8 exists. Mazda have known the rotary runs hydrogen for over a decade and are production ready and actually DO sell a twin fuel RX8. If the probelms with hydrogen production and delivery are solved, Mazda has the car ready right now.

If it's not for that fact, the rotary would be gone.

As for European cars, yes some of them are good on gas, but since the value of the dollar is collapsing, they're not exactly affordable for middle-class people who live in the United States. Hybrid cars are also normally $3,000 - $6,000 dollars more expensive than a normal vehicle of similar size.
    Hybrids are nonsense. Diesels are what you want and Europe has much experience in diesels that give jaw dropping economy for low prices, even against the tanking dollar. The issue is not design or the tanking dollar, the issue is sulpur content in US diesel. Otherwise you might have access to the multitude of fairly cheap and decent European diesels now.

I agree with you though, American's on average could save themselves some money if they cut all of the excess bells and whistles that come with many assembly line cars - it would certainly trim down on the weight of most vehicles. I'll take my car without power steering, ABS, A/C (if I live someplace where that's feasible), soundproofing or power windows and locks, thank you. I normally strip most of these things from the cars that I drive anyway.
    Most of what you describe are in fact either not adding that much weight (Modern power windows are every bit as light as manual winders), power steering makes the modern suspension with it's high castor angles possible
    , air con weighs about 20 kg, power locks also add to the security of a vehicle.... If you picked things like ICE and big squisy leather I'd have no quibbles. Nor do I quibble about the 100kg of sound deading each car seems to be cursed with.

SW-Fans.Net Admin

Good but Damaged Goods

DragonCon 09
    Khendon, you're really overestimating the abilities of materials research, although we do have some great stuff (nanotubes) just around the corner that will hopefully lower vehicle weight a lot in the near future.

Mark, we now have diesel that conforms to the same standard as Everywhere Else, mandated 2 years ago Most of the problem is California's stupid air standards.
    Oh dear.

SW-Fans.Net Poster

UNLIMITED POWER!
    Has been a member for 5 years or longer

Erm, Morg, I'm not talking about weight

I'm talking about eco-friendly in general. I don't blame the weight. I blame the combustion engine and its coupling with fossil fuels. I blame a system of government supported in-sustainability.

I blame companies that are more concerned about getting cash than how they get it.

Reducing the weight of fossil fuel combustion vehicles to increase mpg is just silly. It'd cost a lot to develop and deploy all of the awesome lightweight materials in development and that have been developed and would reduce our impact on the environment minimally.

We need to move away from non-sustainable fuels. It's the only solution.

There are plenty of intelligent engineers and scientists around the globe. Give them the money spent for lobbying. Give them the money that pads the wallets of senators and congressmen.

Anyway, rambling in this thread doesn't really help, does it?

Guess I'll just have to go work for Google.

SW-Fans.Net Admin

Good but Damaged Goods

DragonCon 09
    Google has a clever project regarding making new solar cells.
    http://www.nanosolar.com/

Mind you, I still think that the only thing that may save us in the short term is nuclear energy.

Cat X
    Quote Originally Posted by Khendon Sevon View Post
    Erm, Morg, I'm not talking about weight

I'm talking about eco-friendly in general. I don't blame the weight. I blame the combustion engine and its coupling with fossil fuels. I blame a system of government supported in-sustainability.

I blame companies that are more concerned about getting cash than how they get it.
    Internal combustion engines caused a revolution that lead directly to the vastly better standard of living that we have right now than even 50 years ago. Internal combustion engines are also in fact highly efficient in converting potential energy to kinetic energy. And I add that internal combustion is in fact less stressful on the enviroment than traditional long distance power generators with the majority of them to be highly polluting and inefficent. If you want to convert to electrical propulsion, you need nuclear for a guarentteed clean solution.

Reducing the weight of fossil fuel combustion vehicles to increase mpg is just silly. It'd cost a lot to develop and deploy all of the awesome lightweight materials in development and that have been developed and would reduce our impact on the environment minimally.

SILLY????? Wrong. Reducing weight is the first and best step to efficency. Why do you think racers like me spend hours taking out a kilo from the race car? And as noted before, most of these so called awesome materials are simply NOT acceptible with the laws and regulations pertaining to safety and long term maintainability. And repairability.

SW-Fans.Net Poster

UNLIMITED POWER!

I'm not arguing the importance of the internal combustion engine in the development of technology and culture.

I am arguing their place in modern culture. Solar, hydroelectric, fission, and nuclear energy are all clean, sustainable methods of producing power. Hydrogen fuel cells and combustion are two sources that a lot of money are being pumped into (which is a red herring, by the by).

The problem is that we're looking for ways to make fossil fuels last longer, to find new sources of fossil fuels, and to blend our fossil fuels instead of completely removing our dependence on them.

Reducing weight DOES NOT induce sustainability! That was my entire message! I'm not talking about making fossil fuels less harmful or increasing miles per gallon. That's great; but, it doesn't solve the problem.

Why bandage the broken leg when we can set it and completely remove the problem?

Answer: big business and government.

I think wind and Solar energy is the future. Wind Energy is a very easy to get right now and works. Not sure why you don't see more wind power plants.

TheHolo.Net Poster

Proof that not all people who draw anatomically correct anthropomorphic animals are furries. Or... is he?

AKA
    Mitch. Duh.
    Answer, because I still want a big huge V-8 that wakes the neighbors, and allows me to lay down thirty feet of rubber in a cloud of smoke before my Detroit behemoth takes off like a rocket, and thunders down the road with two tons of smooth ride to it.

We can want to fix the planet all we want, but some of us still want muscle cars, luxury, and sheer power.

And, fossil fuels have become vastly more efficient in the last several years, as well as cleaner. While the cars I want don't even have emissions controls on them, nearly everything rolling out of factories today have a very clean output. While you might not like Fossil fuels, they are integral to the world right now until a replacement can not only be made widespread and affordable, but the fuel for that new technology be able to be delivered in the same capacity as gasoline and diesel.

Diesels nowadays can most all run on biodiesel, the original design for that engine's fuel. I love diesel. Screw hybrids, screw hydrogen, give me turbo'ed diesel in new cars.

But, that still won't stop me from wanting a big, huge, 60's muscle car with a massive engine in it, or getting one eventually.

TheHolo.Net Poster

Proof that not all people who draw anatomically correct anthropomorphic animals are furries. Or... is he?

AKA
    Mitch. Duh.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jedi Master Carr View Post
    I think wind and Solar energy is the future. Wind Energy is a very easy to get right now and works. Not sure why you don't see more wind power plants.
    Wind is still expensive to do because of up-front costs, as well as locations for wind farms are tricky sometimes due to bird migration pattens.

After all, we can't have clean power if a duck gets killed, so say the environmentalists.

But, the new printable solar technology should be hitting the market soon. Great article on that stuff in last month's Popular Science. Right now Solar runs about $3 per watt to produce. Coal costs about $1 per watt produced. NanoSolar's new product, the PowerSheet, will deliver solar at about 30 cents a watt, and it can literally be printed on a giant roll and cover almost anything. Not THAT is a product to back!

Cat X
    Quote Originally Posted by Khendon Sevon View Post
    I'm not arguing the importance of the internal combustion engine in the development of technology and culture.

I am arguing their place in modern culture. Solar, hydroelectric, fission, and nuclear energy are all clean, sustainable methods of producing power. Hydrogen fuel cells and combustion are two sources that a lot of money are being pumped into (which is a red herring, by the by).
    Holy.... you are so wrong

a) Solar is expensive and above all laced with some stupidly dangerous chemicals and inefficent. Even the newer cells dont solve the issues of sapce and inability to support baseload.
    b) Eco vandalism on a grand scale and unsustainable with water resources becomign more polluted and scare. Desalination must come online for sustainability but that required item c)
    c) Only thing correct but the gutlessness of governments and the NIMBY's who dont realise how safe and good nuclear is will slow the building of the plants we need right now. Nuclear can handle baseload right now and reduce carbon emissions hugely.

Anyone who wants to dispute nuclear had better get informed. Many of the issues have now been solved and nukes are right now the best thing for baseload.

d) Money is being pumped into it because they work right now. You can have a hydrogen car if you can produce and transport the hydrogen. Production is simple, the energy cost is too high except if you use nuclear and then you can knock yourself out and produce as much as you want. Transport issues are being solved rapidly by hydrates and the advancement of fuel cells that work right now and are now coming into production.

The problem is that we're looking for ways to make fossil fuels last longer, to find new sources of fossil fuels, and to blend our fossil fuels instead of completely removing our dependence on them.
    Oh Lord. Do you have any idea just how plentiful oil sources really are? What is running out is easy cheap sources. But at the current prices, oil sources like we used to use like oil shale and oil sands become economical and quickly - there is no supply problem if we wish and that's been known for decades. The problem is the pollution and that wont be easy to deal with because oil has no direct replacement and it's uses are far beyond just the humble internal combustion engine. And those engines just so happen to be the best at their jobs.

For an example, just north of where I domicile is the closed Nepean shale oil mines. There is huge reserves of oil shale and coal that can be cracked for oil right under my computer. It costs about $60 USD a barrel to be economically viable. And today's oil price is.....?

And as Mitch correctly points out, diesel can be a renewable fuel with biodiesel with a net carbon footprint of zero.

And I also agree with Mitch about you an go take a long walk off a short pier if you think I'm lettign go of my tire destruction machine (And yet for all it's power and speed,... it's also remarkably light for its hardware with ample use of alloys, boron, plastics and composites while being also very efficent in it's energy use)

[quote]
    Reducing weight DOES NOT induce sustainability! That was my entire message! I'm not talking about making fossil fuels less harmful or increasing miles per gallon. That's great; but, it doesn't solve the problem.
    [quote]

There is no sustainability issue. There is cost and production rpoblem, but there is not a sustainability one. The issue straight out is about efficiency and pollution. THIOSE issues are addressed with efficency and weight of they device your using is in that case very important.

Oh and I add, how does reducing the amount you need to burn per km NOT helping with sustainabilty, removing fromt he argument about known reserves and alternate sources?

Why bandage the broken leg when we can set it and completely remove the problem?

Answer: big business and government.
    I'm sorry, citizen, take your tin foil hat off and come for processing. You have not consumed enough today.

*sigh*

The real issues is in fact the citizens of the USA who have been demanding a lifestyle that is now being shown up to be illogical and unsustainable. They collectively produce more pollution per person than any other country on the planet. The next issue is the clear persistence of your government in refusing to deal with the known facts about pollution. You collectively elected the worst problem in dealing with climate change, so next election you have a chance to do something about it. Your BUSINESS leaders are being more proactive for crying out loud! Doesnt that say somethign is badly wrong?

We here had the second biggest problem, but we voted the bastard out. And now we have someone who ratified Kyoto immediatly and WILL be introducing mandatory emissions cuts, just like most responsible Western and developing governements.

SW-Fans.Net Poster

"It's just the Rebels, sir... they're here."
    "My God, man! Do they want tea?"

The problem is not business, the problem is not consumers - people who are poorly or not forcefully enough lead are bound to go off on whatever passing fancies they want. Hence the current state of affairs. The solution will comes through stronger regulation and ENFORCEMENT of common good doctrines. As such, this NIMBY nonsense would be eliminated. The government will build reactor x at point y and those who don't like are free to move elsewhere.

The point is - a time comes when individual rights (mostly wants) must be subordinated to the good of all. If the people do not chose to be sacrificial in and of themselves, then the government must step in and exercise its mandate to assist protect and defend, at the cost of a few.

Cars and such could be heinously more efficient if the government would step in and command petrol companies to release the patents it holds on such efficient devices as high mileage energies or alternate production means. And if they refuse despite a governmental dictate then the government, which controls the patent office, must simply go to said office, secure said patents and devices, and construct them itself or give the designs to other manufacturers to produce.

Rule with an iron fist when neccessary. This bleeding heart we want this but wont give up anything nonsense can be quelled with the truncheon and lash, I assure you.

TheHolo.Net Admin

DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Christin
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: W4BSY Steam ID: ApexLupine
    Assure all you want, but history and its' countless revolutions and revolts against such tactics of leadership say otherwise.

edit - I still want to know where you get this notion that it doesn't snow or rain or flood in Nevada. Considering the state is declared a federal disaster area quite often for flooding due to, you know, rain and snow.
    Last edited by Loklorien s'Ilancy; Dec 12th, 2007 at 08:03:37 AM.

SW-Fans.Net Poster
    Summer Box Office Contest 2008 - Winner!
    Try the root stew, you will. Taste good, it does.
    DragonCon 09

It warms my heart to see green energy is becoming a hot topic. Maybe it deserves it's own thread though, seeing it's sorta dominating the topic about the president election.

Nanosolar, (as already mentioned) is really awesome:
    http://www.popsci.com/popsci/flat/bo...n/item_59.html

What I want to know is, why can't a big government (for example the US) buy the patent / technology, ramp up the production x100 and sell these worldwide for production cost. Whoever president / prime minister did that might actually have something interesting to remember them by for their political legacy. As it stands, the U.S. Department of Energy only spent $20M funding this project, which is drop in the bucket.

Once these panels get easily available and cheaply, it opens up for all kinds of posibilities. You gotta admit the thought of generating your own electricity is appealing. Heck, why not sell it to your neighbour or back to the electrical grid and make some profit. Why spend money buying power when you can get paid making it? I want some of those on my own, shame they already sold out for next year.

Jeseth Cloak
    The city of Berkeley, where I live, has an interesting program wherein the city provides you with solar planels for your home, and it's investment of $30,000 or so is payed back along with the buildings property tax. So far I haven't seen it take off, but it's still very new.

SW-Fans.Net Admin

Good but Damaged Goods

DragonCon 09
    Cars and such could be heinously more efficient if the government would step in and command petrol companies to release the patents it holds on such efficient devices as high mileage energies or alternate production means. And if they refuse despite a governmental dictate then the government, which controls the patent office, must simply go to said office, secure said patents and devices, and construct them itself or give the designs to other manufacturers to produce.
    You can take that tinfoil hat off any time now. The fact of the matter is that until recently, serious strides in efficiency by any means other than lowering mass wasn't very possible. We've only just started using technologies like direct injection or had the computational power to start modeling things like flame fronts and particle distribution during combustion. You should really drop the subject instead of arguing with people who are far better versed in it.

On a more serious note, I'm sincerely hoping the economy doesn't totally tank during the term if a Dem takes office. I'm hoping it doesn't tank either way, really.

Quote Originally Posted by Yog View Post
    It warms my heart to see green energy is becoming a hot topic. Maybe it deserves it's own thread though, seeing it's sorta dominating the topic about the president election.

Nanosolar, (as already mentioned) is really awesome:
    http://www.popsci.com/popsci/flat/bo...n/item_59.html

What I want to know is, why can't a big government (for example the US) buy the patent / technology, ramp up the production x100 and sell these worldwide for production cost. Whoever president / prime minister did that might actually have something interesting to remember them by for their political legacy. As it stands, the U.S. Department of Energy only spent $20M funding this project, which is drop in the bucket.

Once these panels get easily available and cheaply, it opens up for all kinds of posibilities. You gotta admit the thought of generating your own electricity is appealing. Heck, why not sell it to your neighbour or back to the electrical grid and make some profit. Why spend money buying power when you can get paid making it? I want some of those on my own, shame they already sold out for next year.

That is really cool. I wish there was more of a push by the government into technology like this. I still think wind power is feasable. i know other countries like the Netherlands are now using it. I think it just isn't realistic to depend on it completely. Oh about Nuclear, the problem isn't that it isn't safe. Accidents like Chernobyl almost never happen, the problem is the waste. The waste from Nuclear power has to go somewhere. I know all of this because I live not far from a nuclear facility and my father works there so I know the issues with Nuclear waste. The stuff is nasty and you can't just dump that anywhere.

Cat X
    Quote Originally Posted by Jedi Master Carr View Post

That is really cool. I wish there was more of a push by the government into technology like this. I still think wind power is feasable. i know other countries like the Netherlands are now using it. I think it just isn't realistic to depend on it completely. Oh about Nuclear, the problem isn't that it isn't safe. Accidents like Chernobyl almost never happen, the problem is the waste. The waste from Nuclear power has to go somewhere. I know all of this because I live not far from a nuclear facility and my father works there so I know the issues with Nuclear waste. The stuff is nasty and you can't just dump that anywhere.
    Use the right reactors then. All waste can be reprocessed and reburnt into isotopes that have a far lesser half life and safely stored. This not only makes nuclear safer but turns it into a renewable energy source. You use a breeder reactor, you feed the waste of normal reactors into it and then you can reprocess over and over again.

The thing about nuclear is that the age old bogieman that are used against it have been solved. The new reactors have incredible safety in that they DO shutdown when something goes wrong and thence accidents just wont happen. You can reprocess the waste. Costs are even coming down with the new peble bed reactors.

And also, there is simply no shortage of uranium. While present reserves are 50 years, this does not acknowledge the far bigger known deposits not presently being mined in Australia that could last hundreds of years. And with reporcessing, the reserves can then last not hundreds, but thosands of years. And then your not even looking at uranium in seawater which basically could last until the sun's thermal death!

So, nuclear now has very powerful and compelling arguments for it.

Also, nuclear produces such is tiny fraction of the waste compared to the thousands tons of CO2 per year wastes for coal.... the wastes of fossil fuels are threatening to wipe humans out. Nuclear waste only contaminates a very small area.

France has 80% nuclear and has the least pollution.

So really, nuclear's problem is 50 years of pro-enviromentalist screaming about omg atomss!!!! that has permantly planted into the minds of people who dont know the truth into running scared of nuclear. It will take time to educate people on the facts but we just dont have the time anymore. A Nuclear plant takes a long time to build and we need them now.

SW-Fans.Net Poster

I might return to RPing if those scrumptious Gue twins would come back. Figrin Sandwich, am I right?

There is a power company in Texas that recently filed a permit with the NRC to build a new reactor at it's nuclear power plant site. It's the first such filing for new reactor construction in the US since the Three-Mile Island incident in 1979. From what I have read, it is likely to be approved as well.

I don't claim to be the foremost expert on nuclear power technology, but I do know a lot more about it than the average person (I almost majored in Nuclear Engineering, and actually did a fair amount of research in college for some other classes I took). Nuclear fission, while it does produce a waste product that can be very harmful, has two huge advantages over our other forms of available energy production. It generates immense amounts of power for the amount of consumed raw materials, and it's waste product, despite what you read in mass media, is highly controllable. Now, it's obviously not going to beat solar or wind power in terms of waste produced, but the radioactive material that is left over can be contained in a safe manner, and in some cases, can be reprocessed. The vitrification process functions very well to contain the isotopes common to fission reactions.

Honestly, a lot of the hype about nuclear waste disposal issues arose (at least here in the US) from the fiasco that was/is the Yucca Mountain project.

Solar power has it's place, as does wind power. In certain areas, they are great alternatives for power production, and can/will be part of the solution to ween the world off of fossil fuels. But nuclear fission is going to a huge part of this solution as well. We have the technology right now to do this. We simply need the will and desire to move forward with these solutions, while continuing to push research to even better solutions (like fusion).

SW-Fans.Net Poster
    Summer Box Office Contest 2008 - Winner!
    Try the root stew, you will. Taste good, it does.
    DragonCon 09

Quote Originally Posted by Figrin D'an View Post
    It's the first such filing for new reactor construction in the US since the Three-Mile Island incident in 1979.
    I am astonished to learn this. I read up on it, and found that no nuclear plant had been ordered without subsequent cancellation for over twenty years. It just shows an energy policy gone terribly wrong, and no politician neither republican or democrat can be excused for letting this happen. What is worse, it collides with public opinion. According to a 2005 poll, 67% of americans favor nuclear energy, 26% oppose it while 7% are undecided. I would love to see poll numbers for coal, I doubt it would rate as highly.

Solar power has it's place, as does wind power. In certain areas, they are great alternatives for power production, and can/will be part of the solution to ween the world off of fossil fuels. But nuclear fission is going to a huge part of this solution as well. We have the technology right now to do this. We simply need the will and desire to move forward with these solutions, while continuing to push research to even better solutions (like fusion).
    You are absolutely right. We need wind, solar AND nuclear power to fully replace the coal plants. While nuclear waste is a an inconvenience, it is a microscopic one compared to the problems we're going to get with current CO2 emissions. Nuclear fission might not be a permament solution, but it is an excellent solution for the next few decades.

Legitimate Candidates
    Democrats
    Clinton
    Obama
    Edwards

Republicans
    Giuliani
    Romney
    Huckabee
    McCain
    Thompson

Irrelevant Candidates
    Democrats
    Biden
    Kucinich
    Richardson
    Dodd

Republicans
    Paul
    Hunter
    Tancredo

The only irrelevant candidate that catches my eye is Richardson and I think he has a legitimate shot at VP spot on next year's ticket. The Republican race is clearly wide open. Huckabee has made some amazing gains in the last few weeks and it'll be interesting to see who eventually survives the Republican slugfest.

The Democratic race is all but over. Honestly, Hillary has too much money, support, and history to blow this lead. It'll get interesting at times, but this is a race she would win 9 times out of 10. I think it's a shame it's gotten so nasty these last few weeks between her and Obama because I think that would have made a formidable ticket. But like I said, it leaves the door open for Richardson or even someone like Wes Clark and I could live with both of them.

Anyone who thinks another Clinton presidency would spell the end of democratic rule in this country is on crack. If we survived 8 years of Dumbya without turning into a police state or self imolating ourselves we can survive a term or two under the biatch from Arkansas without the Republic crumbling. The Clintons were always more centrist than right wigners wanted to admit. We need that right now, someone, Republican or Democrat, to pull us back towards the center more. I swear, if we get another president that still thinks there's a legitimate debate between creationism/intelligentdesign/theflinstonesisreallyadocumentary and evolution I think my head will implode.

But good lord the election process has gotten ludicrous. I hate to admit it, but Gingrich was right, the nominating process has gotten ridiculously long and anyone wanting the job should have their sanity questioned.

"Dad, you killed the zombie Flanders!" "He was a zombie?"

Page 3 of 30 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast