Kale (80-50)
    Liam Jinn (80-50)
    Aurelias Kazaar (78-52)
    Miranda Tarkin (78-52)
    Ryan Pode (66-50)
    Lilaena De'Ville (62-38)
    Yog is in the lead now.

SW-Fans.Net Poster
    Summer Box Office Contest 2008 - Winner!
    Try the root stew, you will. Taste good, it does.
    DragonCon 09
    Has been a member for 5 years or longer

I'm on fire!!!

jjwr
    I have brought up the scoring issue. The Niners routenly run the score up on teams in the 80's. What about what Kansas did to Nebraska on Saturday? That was more embarassing than what the Pats have done to anybody this year.
    Yeah but they're not the Patriots, seems no matter what they do at this point they are evil and can do nothing right. Just like the "handshake" at the end of the game, I guarantee thats very common in sports but because its Belechick some people are making a big deal out of it.

TheHolo.Net Moderator

Stealing planets with a cunning use of flags!
    Has been a member for 5 years or longer Park Kraken's Avatar
    I suppose I would be pissed off if I was a pats fan and saw the villinization that the team was going through right now. The only reason I don't like the Pats is that I like to see a variety of teams win the Superbowl each year, whereas the Pats have been winning a lot of the superbowls in the past ten years.

SW-Fans.Net Poster

I might return to RPing if those scrumptious Gue twins would come back. Figrin Sandwich, am I right?

The media (and fans) like to often tear down what they have built up. It happens all the time in sports... chinks in the armor of a player or a team get blown up to astronomical proportions. The Patriots have become the team that people love to hate, much like the Cowboys in the '90s. There's a similar level of arrogance that existed in Dallas at that time, much as there is now in Foxboro. The only difference is that back then people pointed to the off-the-field issues that several Cowboy players/coaches had, while with the Pats it's a "cheating scandal" and how their coach is a jackass.

It's all about manufacturing a story that the talking heads at places like ESPN can refer to throughout the season in an effort to hype things up for more ratings.

SW-Fans.Net Poster

Member of the Arbitrary Apostrophe Club
    Mmmmmm, DELICIOUS

10 + years later and I still have a strong dislike for Dallas. *glares*

Quote Originally Posted by Figrin D'an View Post
    The media (and fans) like to often tear down what they have built up. It happens all the time in sports... chinks in the armor of a player or a team get blown up to astronomical proportions. The Patriots have become the team that people love to hate, much like the Cowboys in the '90s. There's a similar level of arrogance that existed in Dallas at that time, much as there is now in Foxboro. The only difference is that back then people pointed to the off-the-field issues that several Cowboy players/coaches had, while with the Pats it's a "cheating scandal" and how their coach is a jackass.

It's all about manufacturing a story that the talking heads at places like ESPN can refer to throughout the season in an effort to hype things up for more ratings.
    That pretty much sums it up. It was the same in the 80s with the Niners. As a kiid I remember hearing people say the Niners are running up the score, I don't like Montana he is too arogant, etc. People hate the Dynastys when they have won 3 SBS and try to tear them down.

Quote Originally Posted by jjwr View Post
    I forgot how Classy Dungy is, this is the same guy who's Colts offense would consistently run up the score on people right?
    They never ran it up the way the Pats are doing. They blew people out, but they weren't still going deep when they were up by 3 or 4 TD's halfway through the 4th quarter like the Pats are doing this year. You can say the Colts did the same to make yourself feel better, but not many people outside of the Foxboro zone are going to agree with you. And comparing the character and personalities of Dungy and Bellichek isn't even a fair contest. Dungy's reputation as a not only a good coach but a great man are well documented. Bellicheck's personal life and professional relationships have more splotches than a dalmation.

"Dad, you killed the zombie Flanders!" "He was a zombie?"

Quote Originally Posted by Jedieb View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jjwr View Post
    I forgot how Classy Dungy is, this is the same guy who's Colts offense would consistently run up the score on people right?
    They never ran it up the way the Pats are doing. They blew people out, but they weren't still going deep when they were up by 3 or 4 TD's halfway through the 4th quarter like the Pats are doing this year. You can say the Colts did the same to make yourself feel better, but not many people outside of the Foxboro zone are going to agree with you. And comparing the character and personalities of Dungy and Bellichek isn't even a fair contest. Dungy's reputation as a not only a good coach but a great man are well documented. Bellicheck's personal life and professional relationships have more splotches than a dalmation.
    I would compare them more to the Niners during the 80's and the Cowboys in the 90's. The Niners were accused of running up the score.They kept Montana in games longer than they should have, etc. As Fig said it has more to do with the fact they were the dominant team. Heck I hated the Cowboys with a passion and thought Jerry Jones was a jerk and couldn't stand Irvin, Aikman, and Emmitt Smith. I at times wished personally injury to them and it was all because they were winning.

SW-Fans.Net Poster

The [original] Black Sheep of SW-Fans
    Mmm, cheap beer good!

Quote Originally Posted by Jedi Master Carr View Post

I would compare them more to the Niners during the 80's and the Cowboys in the 90's. The Niners were accused of running up the score.They kept Montana in games longer than they should have, etc. As Fig said it has more to do with the fact they were the dominant team. Heck I hated the Cowboys with a passion and thought Jerry Jones was a jerk and couldn't stand Irvin, Aikman, and Emmitt Smith. I at times wished personally injury to them and it was all because they were winning.
    That's the reason I'm hoping Tom Brady breaks his hand or arm. I'm just tired of someone else's team winning again... and again... and again... But hey, that's sports for ya.

Quote Originally Posted by Liam Jinn View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jedi Master Carr View Post

That's the reason I'm hoping Tom Brady breaks his hand or arm. I'm just tired of someone else's team winning again... and again... and again... But hey, that's sports for ya.
    Yeah and I understand that reason, because when you are on top you are pretty much hated by most of the non fanbase.

JMK
    It's such a strange behavior by fans. I remember when the Pats were on the rise and everyone was slurping them up. Now that they've been dominant for 5+ years, it's almost as if we are *trying* to tear tjhem down.

The same happened to Schumacher with Ferrari. He was loved by everyone at the beginning of his reign, and by the time he won his 7th consecutive title people were blaming him for the demise of F-1 (though it is far from dead), blaming him for making it boring.

But we have not yet tried to destroy Tiger or Federer. I wonder why that is? Fans at large are sick of the Yankees, and the Red Sox will soon follow down that road.

Weird, weird group sports fans are.

Well I hate just about everything from Boston, there's nothing recent about that. :evil

jjwr
    A lot of fans are sick of the Sox as well, the whole Sox vs Yanks thing turned off a lot of baseball fans cause ESPN would always crap it down people's throats and it got really old really quick.

So when the Pats are up by 38 at the half they are just supposed to stop playing for a half? Most teams might do that but you also have to forget how anal a coach Belechick is. He's not going to take a entire half or quarter off, thats not how he coaches, he's all about preperation and getting in reps when you can.

Now I still don't agree with leaving all the starters in there, if you want to throw deep then put in Cassel and the 4th & 5th WR and have them go deep. Work on the offense but give the other guys the reps.

As for the Easterbrook article, thats about as biased as this one is - http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2...9&sportCat=nfl

I agree there he should take his starters out more because Brady or Moss could get hurt. If the second unit is scoring points I don't think it hurts anybody.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345