Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Interest Check: Rome RP universe

I also wrote up my bio, as I have it so far, into the wiki: http://swfans.pbwiki.com/Gaia%20Flavia%20Aquila

I couldn't find out how to name a woman though so I winged it. I don't know which name she's supposed to go by, either I want her to go by Gaia.

Miltiadis Lysimagos
    Strategoi Miltiadis "Kyaigos" Lysimagos (Miltiadis = one of the greatest generals of all time, kyaigos = the hunter, lysimagos = derived from a phrase meaning "let loose battle") at your service to lead a rebellion of the Greek city states against the tyranny of the Roman Empire

I will be assembling a small army (1,000 loyal men) from Pontus, traveling to Byzantium, and building a larger force (4,000-10,000 men hopefully).

Sometime after that I'll invade mainland Greece and attempt to throw out the Roman forces there

Titus Aelius Malleolus
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaia Flavia Aquila View Post
    I also wrote up my bio, as I have it so far, into the wiki: http://swfans.pbwiki.com/Gaia%20Flavia%20Aquila

I couldn't find out how to name a woman though so I winged it. I don't know which name she's supposed to go by, either I want her to go by Gaia.
    Traditionally, I think only your family and close acquaintances would refer to you as Gaia, although we really don't have to keep to the numbers on names. From what I've seen, the cognomen is usually the name of choice when speaking of your person in the public realm. This isn't latin class or anything, so its up to you either way

Quote Originally Posted by Miltiadis Lysimagos View Post
    Strategoi Miltiadis "Kyaigos" Lysimagos (Miltiadis = one of the greatest generals of all time, kyaigos = the hunter, lysimagos = derived from a phrase meaning "let loose battle") at your service to lead a rebellion of the Greek city states against the tyranny of the Roman Empire

I will be assembling a small army (1,000 loyal men) from Pontus, traveling to Byzantium, and building a larger force (4,000-10,000 men hopefully).

Sometime after that I'll invade mainland Greece and attempt to throw out the Roman forces there
    Interesting.

While anything is certainly possible in Rome, I'm curious as to what the motive would be for a Greek rebellion? Honestly, Greece is culturally one of the closest peoples to the Romans. Only the latin tribes would be closer. Romans and Greeks are both very Hellenistic cultures, and with the Greeks being incorporated into the Empire early, they've intermingled quite a bit and become very rich (indeed, Byzantium is vastly richer than Rome at the reign of Diocletian many years later)

Have you considered leading the fighters of Thracia? It's right on Greece's northern doorstep, and they've got a very long history of resisting Rome.

Miltiadis Lysimagos
    Quote Originally Posted by Titus Aelius Malleolus View Post
    While anything is certainly possible in Rome, I'm curious as to what the motive would be for a Greek rebellion? Honestly, Greece is culturally one of the closest peoples to the Romans. Only the latin tribes would be closer. Romans and Greeks are both very Hellenistic cultures, and with the Greeks being incorporated into the Empire early, they've intermingled quite a bit and become very rich (indeed, Byzantium is vastly richer than Rome at the reign of Diocletian many years later)

Have you considered leading the fighters of Thracia? It's right on Greece's northern doorstep, and they've got a very long history of resisting Rome.
    In 88 BC King Mithridates the Great of Pontus lead a rebellion against Rome. Greek cities—the majority of Greece save for Rhodes—overthrew their Roman rulers and joined him. They hadn’t been living hard lives under the Romans at that time period, either.

The roman general Lucius Cornelius Sulla used tactics in Greece that weren’t favorable with the people of the time. The siege of Athens and Piraeus served to anger them. Famine swept the city. Eventually Lucius made it through the gates and sacked Athens and murdered a fair share of its populace.

The Roman civil wars were partially fought in Greece. This brought ruin to their states and caused depopulation and the debilitation of the economy and people.

As for Byzantium. They side against Rome and are sacked in 196 AD. I’m just fast forwarding the time table of their decision to overthrow the master.

The Greeks have classically not liked being under anyone’s control. This can be seen in their war of independence (1821-1831) against the Ottomans as well as the stiff resistance put up by freedom fighters in the German invasion of WWII.

Pontus would logically be a great place to start from for three reasons: (1) their affiliation with Mithridates, (2) their embarrassing loss to Caesar under Pharnaces, (3) the failures of the Roman’s to institute a stable government in the area, (4) their connection with the purge of 100,000 Romans in Asia (also under Mithridates).

Titus Aelius Malleolus
    So would we be able to merge the Thracian campaign and the Greek insurrection in a cause & effect kind of thing, where the Greek cavalry is used to bolster the Legion's siege in Thrace, but the Greeks get a raw deal in the spoils?

Miltiadis Lysimagos
    Sounds like a good plan to me

Titus Aelius Malleolus
    Trouble in Greece fits very well in the East, actually. I hadn't thought about that, but if you realise that Ptolemeic Egypt is still around and influential, you've got a major player on Greece's doorstep that can peddle influence to the Greeks if they're willing to hear it. Combine that with a shaky Judea, and that's plenty of eastern trouble! There's also Dacia, but that's further away and we may want to keep to a single eastern european campaign in Thrace, for the here and now.

Publius Cassius Capito
    The Senate convenes

Gaius Manlius Licinus
    IT HAS BEGUN!!!

The Triumph of Pannonia

Marcus Marcius Philippus
    Well this is just too much fun already. This is the first new account that I have had in about 18 months if not more! (This is Anar by the way.)

I opted to plonk my man into a historical family to give me a starting point. I hope that is not objectionable. He's the grandson of a relation of Julius Caesar:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lucius_Marcius_Philippus

Obviously things did not happen that way this time around. The relationship was the same and so on and he still wound up being kept out of office but for a different reason. He got involved with a nasecent faction and made rather a fool of himself as well as annoying Caesar. He spent the rest of his life in retirement.

My guy's the eldest surviving son of the son from the first marriage. He is more active than his father who did only what was necessary to do his duty to Rome without upsetting anyone, but his still very cautious. He avoids joining any one faction and tends to do as he is told- anything for a quiet life and to preserve the family name and fortune. Unfortunately his own son is not nearly so cautious and is far more ambitious. Oh dear.
    Last edited by Marcus Marcius Philippus; Sep 8th, 2006 at 04:35:23 AM.

TheHolo.Net Poster

Chicks dig scars, right? Right guys? Guys? Hello?

Has been a member for 5 years or longer
    AKA
    Charley
    I'm gonna start handing out scourgings, decimations, and crucifixions if you jerks don't post

TheHolo.Net Moderator

DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Dani
    I dont know what I'm doing yet

Fiona Devlin
    Quote Originally Posted by Byl Laprovik View Post
    I'm gonna start handing out scourgings, decimations, and crucifixions if you jerks don't post
    Me either, so hush. Mister Tibodeaux =P

TheHolo.Net Admin
    OG Forum Overlord

AKA
    Holly
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Lilaena Steam ID: jainhollie
    Quote Originally Posted by Fiona Devlin View Post
    Me either, so hush. Mister Tibodeaux =P
    OOOH BURRRRN!!!!!

TheHolo.Net Poster

AKA
    Charley
    I've offered to jump back into WoD but I really do need some kind of direction. I haven't a clue how to get back into things.

Fiona Devlin
    No worries, we can do plotting for it, but not here.

Nebt Sheni
    ^ I upped the Chicago thread so we can plot more with everyone involved (since I cant go into the chat on Meras )

I will try to post to one of the threads soon.

TheHolo.Net Poster

Sitting in a high-backed chair doing some plotting.
    I demand to know what happened to Rome!

Well, ok, I don't really demand but I am wondering...
    "We shall create order where it is absent, maintain order where it is present, and we shall defend order where it is threatened."

TheHolo.Net Poster

AKA
    Charley
    Me too

Where did everybody go

TheHolo.Net Admin
    OG Forum Overlord

AKA
    Holly
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Lilaena Steam ID: jainhollie
    I am no longer the slightest bit interested in it, so I stopped waiting on people to post.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast