Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: MLB September Thread - And down the stretch they come....

Yankees clinch tonight. Six spots left.

VICTORY IS OURS!!!!!!
    And don't look now, the Blue Jays are only 1 game behind the Red Sox. Looks like $120M may only get you 3rd place this year. :evil

The White appear to be DONE. The Twins, who we keep writing off everytime Loriano feels a twinge, are now TIED for 1st in the AL central. That's pretty damn impressive, even if Detroit's strumbling has helped them get there.

"Dad, you killed the zombie Flanders!" "He was a zombie?"

Ortiz gets #51! Season record holder for Boston.

Quote Originally Posted by Jedieb View Post
    VICTORY IS OURS!!!!!!
    And don't look now, the Blue Jays are only 1 game behind the Red Sox. Looks like $120M may only get you 3rd place this year. :evil

The White appear to be DONE. The Twins, who we keep writing off everytime Loriano feels a twinge, are now TIED for 1st in the AL central. That's pretty damn impressive, even if Detroit's strumbling has helped them get there.
    And watch out the Twins aren't far behind in passing your Yankees for best record. I hope they get it, they are hard to beat in the MetroDome.

The two SF Chronicle reporters who busted Bonds and Giambi have been sentenced to up to 18 months in prison for not revealing their source. Over 30 states have shield laws to protect journalists. Unless I'm missing something, California isn't one of them. This is a disgrace. Here's the really balsy part; the GOVERNMENT leaked the testimony because it was having trouble nailing Bonds, now the same GOVERNMENT is going after the reporters that it fed the story to. Yes, we're talking about two different individuals, someone with access to the grand jury testimony and a prosecutor, but they both work for the same entity. This is just pathetic. And without a shield law, there's really not a damn thing the judge handling the case can do.

JMK
    Yeah, they're going to go in the slam, and that's a shame. I have trouble with this big time, because they don't deserve it, but technically they did break the law, and I don't think you can pick and choose when its ok to break the law.

I'm sure that even though the gov't is throwing these guys under the bus, they will be pampered in prison and may find their bank accounts nicely padded when they get out.

Besides, they KNEW the risks when this information came across their desks. They could have passed on it, or they could have acted on it, and profit. They chose to earn money off it. They must have known this was a real possibility...but I do feel bad for them. As the millionnaire cheaters in MLB and NFL continue to cash HUGE paychecks, the guys who really did do some good are going to the can.

sirdizzy
    wow the yanks have a new murder's row and it may be better than the original. Did anyone see tonights game against the orioles, the first time they have had their complete lineup, each starter got a hit and scored a run and they routed the orioles.

I don't care who they play in the playoffs, that hitting lineup is going to be hard to stop.

JMK
    Yeah, they're just a beastly lineup. It's literally an all star team - heck, it's almost a hall of fame team at every position. On days where Johnson starts and Rivera closes, even the pitchers are HOF-bound. It's an embarassment of riches...but as we've seen in the past, good pitching can neutralize ALL of that. A little bit of luck towards an underdog - in a short series and the Yankees may not win afterall.

BTW, Bonds' agent says that Barry will play in 2007 and he does expect to be a Giant. I'm not sure how that will work, but with Barry only 21 HRs away from Aaron, it's probably inevitable that Bonds will catch him, and just barely pass him, then call it quits. I think that's the biggest shame. If he were to pass him with 765+, I'd have a much easier time digesting it than if he crawled past at 758 and then retired. At the rate Barry is going at, it looks as though that's exactly where he will stop...unless he either gets hurt - or gets hot.

Last night was the first time since early May the Yankees had their complete lineup healthy and in the game and it was the first complete lineup with Abreu in the mix. Holy crap, Cano is now 2nd in the AL with a .343 average and he was hitting ninth, NINTH!!!! I'm glad to see Torre is going with a sensible rotation for the playoffs. Wang, Mussina, Johnson. Who knows who the 4th starter will be, but I think having Johnson start the first road game is perfect. Wang is clearly the best starter the Yankees have and he's much stronger at home than on the road. Having him go first is a smart move and I'm glad Torre didn't worry about egos and salaries in making his decisions.

This lineup is going to be a blast to watch. There's simply NO break. A starter can always count on some kind of relief in a lineup, a weakness in the order. Where the hell can you find it in this lineup? It's actually kind of sad that you can make an argument that A-Rod is the weak part of the lineup. Imagine if he gets his head straight and has a decent post season, not a monster one, just a DECENT one.

Last night's lineup.
    1. Damon
    *Cabrera PH
    2. Jeter
    3. Abreu
    *Bernie Williams PH
    4. A-Rod
    5. Giambi
    6. Shefield
    7. Matsui
    8. Posada
    9. Cano

Cano is basically another leadoff hitter and the Shef, Matsui, Posada portion of the lineup is like going through a 3-5 order for a second time. If Mussina and Johnson get on any kind of roll this could be a huge run. :evil

JMK
    Posada is probably the weak link in the order, but he doesn't give away at-bats either. He's just not as good as his teammates.

Anyone think the Cardinals are gonna blow that entire lead? Houston would be more formidable if they can get past them, but there's so few games left, I'm just not sure.

JMK
    It's so close now, and this collapse by the Cardinals is just amazing. They're like the '64 Phillies. I still can't believe they've lost 7 games in 7 days. That's incredible. And it's not like Houston is a great team or anything. In fact I'd bet that once the playoffs roll around and they play tougher opposition, the offense will dry up as it always does.

Well Houston HAS won 8 straight. I actually think with their staff they'd be a hard out for anyone.

JMK
    Yeah they've won 8 straight - and that's hard for anyone to do, but they're still just barely above .500. If you take away this streak they're several games below .500 and well out of the picture. Personally I think they more closely resemble the team that played sub-500 over 150 games than the team that got hot over the course of a week. I agree though...with Clemens/Oswalt/Pettitte they could be tough for anyone, but their offense blows when it counts.

The NL is up for grabs right now though. I have no idea who is going to get to the WS from there. Although the AL looks about the same to me. To me only Oakland has no prayer of making it to the WS. You could make an argument for the other three teams.

JMK
    Obviously the Mets were the only serious contender in the NL, but now with Pedro done for the year, they will have a seriously problem in just getting to the WS.

What a performance by Daniel Cabrera last night. He serves notice to the Yankees that simply having an all-star lineup doesn't ensure victory. It's either a late-season wake up call to the Yanks, or a reason for whoever will play them to believe they can knock them off.

Quote Originally Posted by JMK View Post
    Obviously the Mets were the only serious contender in the NL, but now with Pedro done for the year, they will have a seriously problem in just getting to the WS.

What a performance by Daniel Cabrera last night. He serves notice to the Yankees that simply having an all-star lineup doesn't ensure victory. It's either a late-season wake up call to the Yanks, or a reason for whoever will play them to believe they can knock them off.
    I think the Twins pitching give them the best chance of beating them. In the NL I like the Dodgers, if they win the Wild Card. I think they could make a run towards the WS.

JMK
    Yeah, the Dodgers are the only other team that I would consider dangerous. The Cardinals have the potential, but they're a wreck right now.

Beyond Santana the Twins pitching staff isn't great, and I'm pretty sure that the Yankees would have their way with them. Aside from Nathan, nobody really stands out. If the series went 5 games maybe you could get Santana to pitch in a 5th game, but then he'd be in a tight spot for the ALCS and the WS if they get there. Let's face it - they can't get far without Liriano AND an energized Santana.

And if the Twins manage to edge out the Tigers this weekend and win the AL central title, I'm giving the MVP to Morneau. I saw some stats on sportscenter this morning that are eye popping. Up until June 9th, Morneau was only hitting about .240 with 11 homers, and accordingly, the Twins were waaaaay out of the picture. Since a June
    9th game vs Baltimore, Morneau has ridiculous numbers and the Twins have played nearly .700 ball since then. Not a coincidence. To boot, every Twins game this past month, if not more, has been an important game, whereas the Yankees haven't played an important game since the massacre, and Morneau has been incredible throughout. Sorry Derek, you're going to the hall, but you should live without the MVP for another year.

If the Astros win the division, I think they're going to the WS again. But I'd like to see the Dodgers do well, simply because the city would go bananas.

JMK
    I'd like to see Maddux get a ring, and I'd also like to see Nomar get a ring and actually be on the team that wins it.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast