Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Want a donut with that?

"Yeah, and he lets it go to his head." Kelly snickered. "Joker here's a real star."

To that, Perris raised his glass, gave a short nod and a cocky grin, then took in a large gulp of the liquid that filled the glass.

"I don't believe in gods, Donut. Just a figure of speech, man. I'm good, too. Stupendous, in fact."
    Last edited by Kelly Perris; Jun 26th, 2007 at 06:52:24 PM.

Henry McDonnaught
    "Stupendous" Henry acted duly impressed and pulled his 'Im impressed' face.

These guys seemed pretty good, he thought to himself as he watched Perris and Joker jibing goodnaturedly back and forth. A team that could at least stand one another was a good team, a team that actually liked each other, now that was a real good sign.

Maybe Hank had finally done something right and landed on his feet. That'd be a switch.

Henry's fatigue was fading and he hailed another beer. That, of course, was a delusion. The body could not funtion indefinitely on zero sleep. What was that saying? Sleep when yer dead.

Yeah, Donut would sleep when he was dead.

"Better bring a couple all round" he called after the obedient droid.

Jamo Jakatta
    “I take it we're pulling an all-nighter, then?” Jamo smirked. “Goody.” There was a little whiskey still left in his glass, which he knocked back in one. It tickled back of his throat and he made a show of the shudder that wriggled up his spine.

“So... what's your story, Donut? Got any exciting skeletons in the closet?”

Henry McDonnaught
    "Well, I'll be here til I down this one" he confirmed to Jamo as with miraculous speed another beer was making its way over to him by the droid. By the look, the droid was neglecting the big burly sergent at the bar in order to keep the trio at the table well lubricated.

"And nooo, I got no skeletons, none whatever" Donut didnt sound too convincing with this last.

"That's crock, Donut. Everyone's got squelettes."

Kelly killed the remaining whiskey from his glass just as a beer was delivered in front of him. He gave the serv-droid a nod of appreciation, before turning back to the guys.

"I mean, even I got 'em. Mine reside in how I came to be here. Was just assigned to an new imp squadron, about a year previous to Alderaan going poofski. I've been scratching the sky and bustin' a move across the stars pretty well every second I could from the moment my old man would allow it. So, my parents were visiting my sister at the university on Alderaan the day it happened." He took a drink with that statement. "I just flew, buried myself in work, not letting on that the destruction of that world got to me at all."

Another small gulp rushed down his gob.

"Beers good, by the way. Thanks." With that, a gulp was taken. "Anyways, I got sick of moping about in secret, but man, I was still pissed. Went and knocked some shiny white helmets together, which I gotta say sedates unpleasurable feelings somewhat nicely, and I made a run for it. Offered myself up here, and i've been pestering imps with the other rogues about the same amount of time as Jamo, give or take a few days or weeks or something. The last long while's been a blur 'til recently."

Kelly shifted a glance between his companions.

"Joker? Donut? Come on, one'ov you two is next."
    Last edited by Kelly Perris; Sep 6th, 2006 at 10:23:56 AM.

Jamo Jakatta
    “You know that I don't have any skeletons in my closet, Perris. Just lots of shoes,” Jamo replied, his lips pursed into a tight smile. He rubbed his palms together quickly, then held them up as if in surrender. “I'm squeaky clean.”

Kelly tried so hard to keep a serious face, and shook his head when he started to laugh.

"Jamo, if I didn't meet you and met your closet instead, I could have sworn you were a woman. Shoes? For seriousness, man. What's the point of so many shoes? I have no more than ten pairs...." A 'you hypocrite' type grin began to parade itself on Jamo's face.

"Shut up, Jamo. Every pair has a reason - None of those reasons being a pair of every colour to match my outfits - Unlike YOU, madame." And to that, Kelly Perris made a most immature and retortful face. "So...so there. HA!"

Henry McDonnaught
    Alderaan was a bummer. But somehow, that comment didnt really seem appropriate given Perris' story, so Donut refrained. Too bad to lose family like that. Certainly would make a guy rethink just what the heck he was doin with his life.

For Hank though, it had always been pretty clear. Fighting for the Rebel Alliance was all he'd ever wanted to do - he'd known it since he was a kid. He used to play fighter pilots with Becky Stradowski and Will Motton, the neighbourhood kids. It was hilarious listening to Becky try to make the appropriate laser cannon noises by rolling her tongue all weird and sputtering like a landed fish. And to watch her crash and burn in a madcap spiral - that girl would spin and spin and spin until even he and Will felt dizzy watchin her. They used to bet pod-racer cards on when she'd up and puke. But she never did.

"I dont know..dont think any o' my stories could compare with Jamo's penchant for co-ordinating footwear. A toast then! To shoes!"

"Yeah! To SHOES!! SHOOOOOOOOES!!"

Kelly raised his glass and clinked with Donut. He seemed like a good guy on his feet...or rather, his seat, but it remained to be seen if he was up to snuff when painted over the big black nowhere. There would be a time, likely soon, that Henry would get a chance to prove his worth, and until that time they could just be the jesters that they were. The men of Rogue Squadron were the finest at what they did.

"So...Donut? You lookin' forward to spinnin' with us out there, man?"

Henry McDonnaught
    "Im itchin to do some real flyin. Babysitting transports pays the bills, but isn't exactly what I signed up for."

Dang Alison. He'll never forgive her for that.

He already cursed her in his mind tonight, he knew. And that was only two so far. She usually weighed in around five or six times a day. He must be getting over it, he figured. Bout time.

"Anything on the grapevine you guys heard of? Any thing comin our way?"

Jamo Jakatta
    “Unfortunately we don't get to hear about the good stuff until we're jumping into the cockpit.”

Jamo gave a sigh, far more dramatic than necessary.

“We don't really mix with the grunts and the spies, so we're out of the loop... but I like it that way.”

Henry McDonnaught
    That was true, flyboy's did a whole lotta sittin around, then got enough action for a lifetime compressed into some insane mission, then back to sittin around. If you were lucky enough to come back, that is. Sure, there was flight simulation, training, more training, but metaphorically it was sitting around holding your johnson until someone needed some Imperials dead.

But Donut wasn't complaining. He was here, and that was enough right now.

"Do they even have spooks here on base?"

Henry started looking around. Maybe there were some sitting right here with them. He never liked spies, shifty characters the lot of 'em.

Kelly's head jerked around, following whereever Donut looked. The mere mention of spooks caught his interest, because truthfully, he'd never seen them around. Which got him to thinkin'...Why in creation would someone be as uppity and secretive about his downtime as he was about his work life? It just didn't make sense. The base was pretty damn secure. The flyboy, looking a little more bleary than when this alcoholic escapade started leaned really close to his new teammate across the table, and whispered in an almost conspiratorial tone, like he were whispering sweet nothings to a ghost.

"T'be honest, I ain't never seen 'em. They seem'ta take pride n' bein' all mysterious-like. Kinda childish t'be doin' it all tha time, dontcha think?"

Kelly smirked, and took another clean little sip of his drink from the cold highball glass as he leaned back into his chair and crossed his arms over one another, the hand holding the glass coming out on top.

"I mean, reel-eh. Us jocks get tiresome of each other's company from time t'time. It'd be nice to see who else we work for or with, for once."

Henry McDonnaught
    "They stick to their business, and I'll stick to mine" came Donut's unequivocal response. He liked battlelines that were clear and unclouded. Spies just blurred all that up.

"Leave the skullduggery to the sneaky buggers, I say. Just tell me where to shoot, thats all I need t' know"

"Amen."

Perris lazily lifted the glass to his mouth, took a quick gulp, and down the 'chalice' went again.

"Y'ar probably right. They're called spooks for a reason. Sure to be watchin' us, they are...but they don't seem to be big on minglin'."

Swirl, went the glass. His sister had been all for the secretive stuff. Kelly stared hard down at the liquid, then glanced back up at the other two. He cracked an insignificant half-grin, more like a careless smirk. He sat up proper, and placed the glass carefully on the tabletop.

"I guess what we do is pretty uncomplicated, huh? We're fortunate that way."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12