Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: [WoD] Abounding Coincidences - First Impressions

Fiona Devlin
    "Well, if Michele doesn't mind."

:: Fiona gave a polite smile ::

SW-Fans.Net Poster

*holds up sword* Okay, so let me see if I got this right. The pointy end goes in the other person, right?
    Has been a member for 5 years or longer
    AKA
    Dani
    "Um ..." I look away and find the floor much more interesting since I'm all embarrassed now for being put on the spot. But she was nice enough to ask me and all, so ... "... yeah. I don't mind."

Fiona Devlin
    :: Fiona caught Michele's hand and gave it a friendly squeeze ::

"Thank you."

SW-Fans.Net Poster

*holds up sword* Okay, so let me see if I got this right. The pointy end goes in the other person, right?
    AKA
    Dani
    Her reaction took me by surprise. Not many people would take a person's hand that they just met, but I have to remember, she isn't American.

I look up and can't help it as my lips form into a slow smile. Eventho she was a little eccentric, she was nice and didn't take my barking at her the wrong way. Still, I felt a bit weirded out and pulled my hand away. "You're welcome."

Mrs. Ceffaclio rubbed my shoulders and then patted me on the back, ushering me towards the piano. I got the hint. Was time to practice and I politely move myself around Fiona so I could sit down. If I was braver, I would ask how the two know each other but I'm too terribly shy. I like being in the corner of the party, sipping my drink and latching onto my one friend there when they weren't busy. I was only bold enough to approach Fiona in the first place because I take my studies seriously.

Fiona Devlin
    :: Fiona started to walk away, then did a complete u-turn to fetch her hat off the piano bench ::

"I hope you don't mind if I stick around a bit, Maria. I don't have to be at Kingston Mines until seven."

:: Mrs. Ceffaclio nodded and Fiona hopped off to take a seat ::

SW-Fans.Net Poster

AKA
    Dani
    I probably noticeably scooted away when Fiona came to retrieve her hat, but once she was gone, I was able to relax a bit. I cracked my knuckled to loosen up.

"I hope you don't mind if I stick around a bit, Maria. I don't have to be at Kingston Mines until seven."

Wait. Fiona and Mrs. Ceffaclio were on a first name basis? What the hell? I look over at the two of them and wondered if Fiona was a student after all.

"Ahem." Mrs. Ceffaclio cleared her throat, looking expectantly at me.

I'm apprehensive to begin playing since Fiona was sticking around so I stare down at the keys and focus on them. Me and the piano have been friends forever. Since I was seven. All I need to do was hit a note and then I should be blissfully unaware of her presence.

I began the concerto timidly for those who had an ear for music. Slowly my nerves started to settle as I channeled Beethoven. My confidence builds as my memory doesn't fail me. I remember the notes clearly and I get swept up in the melody of old. I close my eyes as my confidence grows.

But then...

I freeze as my mind blanks on the next stanza on the fourth page.

"Damnit!" I slam my fist down against the piano in aggravation, causing a tantrum of a sound. I thought I had that part down!

Fiona Devlin
    :: Fiona resisted the urge to help, and merely observed as the the practice went on ::

SW-Fans.Net Poster

AKA
    Dani
    Mrs. Ceffaclio spoke to me with some encouragement, trying to alleviate my frustrations.

"Don't think of the recital. Just think of the music." She smiled. "Most importantly relax!"

I hide a smile and bring my hands back up. Okay, gonna close my eyes again and get it right. I can do this.

"You can do this." My teacher said again. "Just take it from where you left off."

I take a deep breath and start again ...

Fiona Devlin
    :: This time, Michele played it all the way through without stumbling. When she finished, the brief silence was broken by an appreciative shout ::

"HUZZAH!!!"

SW-Fans.Net Poster

AKA
    Dani
    I looked like a deer in headlights. She didn't just shout like that for me, but my burning cheeks said otherwise. Who was the crazy girl?

My teacher applauded as well. "That was much better. You just have a few kinks to work out and you should be fine."

"Thanks," I force that much out but I don't know what else to say. That floor is looking really interesting again.

Fiona Devlin
    :: Fiona grinned and waved from her chair, then cleared her throat and nodded with a serious face to let Michele continue ::

SW-Fans.Net Poster

AKA
    Dani
    Fiona is insane, but it was her insanity that made me break out of my shell a little and smile.

"So, from the top then?" Mrs. Ceffaclio nodded. Well, then here we go.

This time I had a burst of confidence and dove right into the concerto. I was even feeling a little giddy for some reason but the euphoria helped. I leaned forward at the music peaks and when a low tone was played, my head dashed in rhythm. I was like that through the entire piece and never missed a note!

Fiona Devlin
    :: Fiona's fingers played an invisible piano on her desk, forming a kind of synchronicty with Michele. When it was over, she clapped again appreciativley ::

"Sweet Brigid, I think she's got it!"

:: Mrs. Ceffaclio laughed ::

SW-Fans.Net Poster

AKA
    Dani
    "You guys are terrible!" But I'm laughing. I'm not sure if I was more embarrassed that Fiona had been watching me play, or the fact that she had seen me play with such passion. It's been awhile since I could channel such ease since coming to school.

Fiona Devlin
    :: Mrs. Ceffaclio gathered her things ::

"Well girls, I have some papers to grade. I'll see you to tomorrow, Michele. Thanks for dropping by Fiona."

SW-Fans.Net Poster

AKA
    Dani
    "Bye, Mrs. Ceffalio." I wave goodbye and go to collect my things. It's kinda an awkward moment since my teacher was the glue that was binding mine's and Fiona's conversation.

After neatly putting my music sheets and papers away, I steal a glance at her, tho I'm trying to focus on my backpack. She looks expectant but I don't know what to say.

"Um," I heft the backpack over my shoulder and lock eyes with the door. Okay, say something nice then bolt. "Thanks for the encouragement."

Okay, time to leave!

Fiona Devlin
    "You're good."

:: Fiona caught the door and let Michele out first ::

SW-Fans.Net Poster

AKA
    Dani
    I timidly scoot passed her, "Not really."

I love my teacher dearly but the classroom might get a new coat of paint come Thursday when I kill her for leaving me alone with Fiona.

Fiona Devlin
    :: They stepped outside into the chill winter air ::

"Do you want a lift anywhere? My car is just around the corner."

SW-Fans.Net Poster

AKA
    Dani
    "Um, thanks but that's all right." I point to the dorms just down the street. "I live on campus."

Whew. Thank you god for lettting me live close.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast