Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: [WoD] To Live By The Sword (COMPLETE)

Fiona Devlin

[WoD] To Live By The Sword (COMPLETE)

:: Fiona watched as Michele practiced with her blade, making it a part of her in both motion and spirit. It had been one week from their return from Vienna, and they had been training each day. Yoga, meditation, running, and of course, fencing. She stretched, taking up an on-guard stance in the center of the room ::

SW-Fans.Net Poster

*holds up sword* Okay, so let me see if I got this right. The pointy end goes in the other person, right?
    Has been a member for 5 years or longer
    AKA
    Dani
    Our trip to Vienna didn't turn out like planned. Instead of it being my last hurrah before I became serious about The Game, it became an eye opening experience of what my life was to be since the moment I died in the car accident ... My first death. It was the end of mortality but the beginning of war against other Immortals who wanted my head and would do anything to take it.

I'd rather not think about what happened in Vienna. I just want my mind focused on surviving, training with Fiona so it would never come close to happening again.

Dying for real that is ...

Ever since we stepped back onto Chicago soil, my life has been nothing but school and training with Fiona, who was never far from my side. Bilan's still on the prowl and it would only be a matter of time before he got wind of our return and try to kill us again.

So here I am, one week later, performing a kata with my sword almost as if I've been doing this my entire life. It's still kinda funny. I abhored the idea of this but now I lived and breathed training. I still fumble occasionally and loose my balance but I don't let it get to me like on the first day. God, the first day was terrible. I was bitchy to Fiona, snapping at her constantly to teach me everything she knew. I was an impatient, irritable brat. Needless to say, meditation was one of the first things I needed to learn badly so I could focus to relax and put Vienna into further perspective. That I can't learn what I need to survive overnight. It takes time. Yet I fear that I won't have enough it. Why I still train like a woman possessed but at least I'm now productive.

Fiona comes into my peripheral vision and my sword comes to rest against my side. Our duels so far have been instructive. Fiona would show me proper form and how to hold my sword correctly. From there, mostly conversation moves where I would get use to the weight of the weapon. Then we moved onto defensive moves, binds and parry, and to a lesser extent, the art of anticipating your opponents actions. We just moved onto offensive moves yesterday. Today it's been me flying solo with strengthening exercises and practicing balance and control with my blade.

So now I wonder what's in store for me as I lift my sword arm and take a step forward, aligning my body sideways in a defensive posture. I just hope I don't get hit too much today. Being slapped with the dull part of the sword really hurts like hell. Doesn't matter which body part it is...

Fiona Devlin
    :: Fiona sped up the pace this time, to test Michele's reaction time. She darted in one direction, then spun back the way she came and swung low ::

SW-Fans.Net Poster

*holds up sword* Okay, so let me see if I got this right. The pointy end goes in the other person, right?
    AKA
    Dani
    Fiona was gone in a blink of an eye and already on the move to attack. The woman was so damn fast.

I lost my balance with her switching positions but manage to clumsily block her low attack by swinging my sword down towards the ground.

I winced upon impact and almost dropped the sword. I recovered quickly but it was painfully obvious that it stung. The power behind Fiona's attack also went up a notch, not just her speed.

Fiona Devlin
    :: Fiona took the oppurtunity to step in with a bind ::

"Remember to use your whole body, not just the blade."

:: She broke off and then repeated the attack ::

SW-Fans.Net Poster

AKA
    Dani
    This time she went even lower where my sword would do me no good. I'd loose a leg before the blade could even get there to parry. I'm not really sure if I should be attacking during this lesson, but it sorta came outta instinct... I think. Just as I came down to the ground, my sword did too in an overhead attack.

Fiona Devlin
    :: Fiona brought her sword up, just in time to counter the downward strike. She smiled ::

"That's it! Good!"

SW-Fans.Net Poster

AKA
    Dani
    My breathing is exacerbated by the work-out and the fast paced attacks but I don't stop with the kind words. Instead, I narrow my eyes and take a step forward and swing my blade 180 degrees.

Fiona Devlin
    :: Fiona rolled backwards away from the attack, and waited for Michele in a defensive crouch ::

SW-Fans.Net Poster

AKA
    Dani
    Hmm. Okay. Now what? Anything I do she's gonna block easily. Well, I suppose you can't block everything forever.

I don't do anything fancy. I simply charge at her and keep my sword close to me incase she tries something before I'm able to attack. I swing low and fast, hoping to catch her off balance.

Well, try to catch off her balance....

Fiona Devlin
    :: Fiona moves forward just as Michele begins the swing, with a thrust aimed towards her thigh, just above the knee ::

SW-Fans.Net Poster

AKA
    Dani
    Aw hell! I knew that she was going to do something sneaky like that but my eyes still lit up in surprise.

I change the momentum of my attack. It's awkward and ugly, but I manage to just barely parry the attack from Fiona. I also loose my balance because my feet haven't quite figure out how to keep up with my upper body. So, I trip over my own feet and fall flat on my face.

I'm disgusted with myself and shove the sword away, slapping the floor in anger with the palms of my hands.

Fiona Devlin
    :: Fiona lays the flat of the blade across the back of Michele's neck ::

"Do not allow yourself to become reckless."

:: She lifted the blade, and gave Michele a light whack on the rump ::

SW-Fans.Net Poster

AKA
    Dani
    I wince and give Fiona the dirtiest of looks before getting to my feet. "I'm glad you find this amusing."

Fiona Devlin
    "You're trying to hard, Michele. You need to slow down."

SW-Fans.Net Poster

AKA
    Dani
    My nostrils flare and I turn my back on her to retrieve my sword, "I don't have the time to slow down and take it easy."

Fiona Devlin
    :: Fiona sighed and waited in a ready stance ::

SW-Fans.Net Poster

AKA
    Dani
    I pick up my sword and move back to a position across from Fiona. I can tell in her eyes she's just humoring me. Waiting for me to mess up again to prove her right.

For a moment, I close my eyes and take a deep breath before returning to a defensive posture. When my last nerves settle, I go forward and tap my blade against the bottom of her's to start the duel again; this time trying to find an opening first before charging in like an idiot.

Fiona Devlin
    :: Fiona takes the offense this time, forcing Michele to block, dodge, and parry ::

SW-Fans.Net Poster

AKA
    Dani
    I grit my teeth and find myself on the defensive. With every attack that I parry or block, my arms vibrate from the strength behind the blows, but I hold my sword tightly. My knuckles turning white from the strain. I keep trying to find an opening but Fiona has me so boxed up that I can't find any room to maneuver.

I hate feeling caged in. My heart's pounding faster now and I can feel the sweat beading against my forehead. I have to find some space. I need to get out of here fast.

So I duck under her next attack and instead of trying to counter-attack with my sword, I try and punch Fiona in the face.

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast