Thread: NFL Pick'em: Wild Card Weekend

NFL Pick'em: Wild Card Weekend

Saturday
    Washington at Tampa Bay
    Jacksonville at New England

Sunday
    Carolina at Giants
    Pittsburgh at Cincinnati

Please post all picks in one post before the first game begins on Saturday at 4:30 EST.

"Dad, you killed the zombie Flanders!" "He was a zombie?"

Saturday
    Washington at Tampa Bay WIN
    Jacksonville at New England WIN

Sunday
    Carolina at Giants WIN
    WIN Pittsburgh at Cincinnati

jjwr
    I'm considering picking 3 road teams...scary.

SW-Fans.Net Poster

Colander on the head... check. Ferrets... check. Imperial insignia... check. Pants... well, three out of four ain't bad!
    Has been a member for 5 years or longer

Saturday
    Washington win at Tampa Bay
    Jacksonville at New England win

Sunday
    Carolina at Giants win
    Pittsburgh at Cincinnati win

The Pode All-Pro’s

Offense:

QB: Peyton Manning, IND- 3,700 yards, 28 TDs, and a 104.1 QB rating for the highest in the NFL. Oh, and he’s 13-1 in games he’s finished.

RB: Shaun Alexander, SEA- 28 total TDs and the rushing title on a healthy 5.1 yards per carry average.

WR: Steve Smith, CAR- tied for the most catches and most touchdown receptions, has the most yardage receiving, even has a rushing touchdown.

Anquan Boldin, ARZ- He had 102 catches for 1,402 yards and 7 touchdowns in 14 games. Simply put he is the best runner after the catch.

TE: Antonio Gates, SDG- As the number one receiving option in the fifth ranked scoring offense; he performed superbly, making all the catches, to have 1,100 yards receiving with 10 touchdowns.

Todd Heap, BAL- As the number two receiving option in one of the worse offenses in the league he still managed to rank fifth or better in catches (75- 3rd), yards (855- 5th), and touchdowns (7 - 2nd tied)

Tackle: Walter Jones, SEA- I could drive my truck through the holes made by him and…

Guard: Steve Hutchinson, SEA- Combined with Jones to allow Shaun Alexander to run wild.

Center: Rex Hadnot, MIA- Led the Dolphins offensive line calling out blitz pickups to allow only 26 sacks and 12th ranked rushing offense, as opposed to last season where they allowed 52 sacks and had the 31st ranked rushing offense.

Guard: Brian Waters, KC- A big factor in the Larry Johnson show.

Tackle- Willie Roaf, KC- Not only did he open up giant holes in the running game to allow Larry Johnson and Priest Holmes to accumulate insane amounts of yards and touchdowns but he provided stellar pass-blocking that was sorely missed when he sat out the Buffalo game.

Defense:

DE: Derrick Burgess, OAK- Without his league leading 16 sacks, the Raiders wouldn’t have a pass-rush.

DT: Jamal Williams, SDG- One of the best linemen on the best rush defense in the NFL.
    DE: Robert Mathis, IND- He had 11.5 sacks opposite of Dwight Freeney, but he also had eight forced fumbles (led league) in eight different games. And he played in just 13 games.

OLB: Joey Porter, PIT- 10.5 sacks, 2 INTs, 4 FF, 1 FR, and 7 passes defensed. He was a playmaker on one of the better defenses.

ILB: Jonathan Vilma, NYJ- Led the league in tackles and a Middle Linebackers job is to make tackles. Helped the Jets maintain a 3.9-yard per carry to be tied for 12th in the league.

ILB: Donnie Edwards, SDG- Was second behind Vilma in solo-tackles, crucial for the middle linebacker of the leagues best rush defense.

OLB: Adalius Thomas, BAL- Officially classified as an OLB, lines up at End, Tackle, Safety, and Cornerback. Stepped up on an injury ridden Ravens defense that came to be fifth in the league. Had 80+ tackles, 9 sacks, 2 Interceptions, 4 Forced Fumbles, 3 Fumble Recoveries, 5 passes defensed, and led the league with THREE defensive touchdowns.

CB: Nathan Vasher, CHI- 108 yards from the back of the end zone and 8 interceptions on the best defense.

CB: Deltha O’Neal, CIN- Most takeaways on the team that had the most takeaways. 10 Interceptions and a fumble recovery with 18 passes defensed and 60+ tackles to help with the run.

FS: Darren Sharper, MIN- 9 Interceptions and 2 Touchdowns, reminded the NFL that the Free Safety is the one that plays the pass well.

SS: Adrian Wilson, ARZ- Had 93 solo tackles to lead all defensive backs with a record breaking 8 sacks, one of the most underrated defensive units in the league (8th).

Kicker: Neil Rackers, ARZ- Kicked the most ever.

Punter: Donnie Jones, MIA- 39.3 Net average led the league on 3rd highest amount of the kicks.

MVP: Shaun Alexander, SEA- had more or as many touchdowns as a third of the league and more rushing yards than 2/3rds of the league.

Offensive POY: See above.

Defensive POY: Champ Bailey, DEN, 8 Interceptions and 2 touchdowns. Made game changing plays in games that had to be. He changed the outcome of several games such as the game clincher against San Diego, or the TD against Dallas, or the end zone pick of Kyle Boller in a 2 point win.

Offensive ROY: Cadillac Williams, TB- had more yards rushing than most veterans.

Defensive ROY: Lofa Tatupu, SEA- Anchored a defense that had been prone to late-game collapses in years past, make an impact all season long with 113 tackles and 3 INTs and 4 sacks.

TheHolo.Net Admin
    OG Forum Overlord

AKA
    Holly
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Lilaena Steam ID: jainhollie
    Saturday
    Washington WINat Tampa Bay
    Jacksonville at New England WIN

Sunday
    Carolina at Giants WIN
    Pittsburgh WINat Cincinnati

sirdizzy
    There you go the funny things I see on all pro and probowl ballots. In your opinion which team has consitently had the best offensive line in say the last ten years. This is an offensive line that is so good they could take a guy off the street and turn him into a 1000 yard rusher. They almost had 2 of those this year. A team with no stud like Alexander or Tominlson to make them look awesone yet had the #2 running game for the 4th straight year. Yet your list and the probowl list has not even one of their names on it. Matt Lepsis, Tom Nalan, Ben Hamilton. Sorry we know who has the best offensive line and they have had it for so damn long the league takes them for granted now. Davis, Gary, Anderson, Portis, Droughns, Anderson again and almost Bell. The list goes on and on and on and on. Stick Sean Alexander behind that line and I bet all 5 starters would be on your all Pode team, hell we make Ron Dayne look like a stud.

Saturday
    washington
    New England

Sunday
    Carolina
    Cincinnati

jjwr
    Its not necessarily the lineman but the system, on the same vein but those lineman on the Seahawks and Alexander may only be a 1,200 yd back with 10TD's.

Portis & Droughns are showing its not just the line....

And on Alexander, not that I don't think he's worthy of the MVP, I just don't think he will win it. Holmes had very similar years for the Chiefs and never pulled in the award, how is what Alexander doing that much different?

Re: NFL Pick'em: Wild Card Weekend

Saturday

Washington (W) at Tampa Bay
    Jacksonville at New England (W)

Sunday

Carolina at Giants (W)
    Pittsburgh at Cincinnati (W)

SW-Fans.Net Poster

Colander on the head... check. Ferrets... check. Imperial insignia... check. Pants... well, three out of four ain't bad!

Alexander was about a third of Seattle's offense while Holmes was around a fifth. Holmes has the rushing title and the touchdown record. Both of those go a long way in MVP voting. I remember in '03, when Holmes had the TD record, Jamal Lewis had 2,000 yards and was OPOY and that sort of cancelled eachother out and they voted for McNair and Manning. It's been five years since there has been a Running Back and MVP, so I think he'll get it.

As far as Denver, I've seen them get bullied by an aggressive defense. I've seen the system get abused. While Walter Jones and Steve Hutchinson are talented. Unlike the Denver system, these two would work anywhere.

Originally posted by jjwr
    And on Alexander, not that I don't think he's worthy of the MVP, I just don't think he will win it. Holmes had very similar years for the Chiefs and never pulled in the award, how is what Alexander doing that much different?
    His team is 13-3 and they've got the #1 seed in the conference. I think that's what will end up pushing him over the top.

Norv Turner..... YOU'RE FIRED!!!!

The hits just keep coming. And we still have a few coaches that may try to find new digs. I think there's a good chance Herm Edwards may skip over to KC. He's a defensive guy and I think that's what the Chiefs need. Plus, the Jets are going to fall apart IMO. They could be looking at 2-5 years of 5 win seasons. I think he should get out while the gettin' is good.

I would like to see Edwards in KC he would be a good fit, IMO. Not sure how compensation would work though, I don't feel comfortable giving up a #1 pick or anything like that.
    As for my picks

Saturday
    W Washington at Tampa Bay
    Jacksonville at New England W

Sunday
    Carolina at Giants W
    W Pittsburgh at Cincinnati

About Holmes really he only had one MVP type season and that was the year KC went 13-3, who won it that year? It was 2003 that happened.
    Ok looked it up Manning and Mcnair tied that year. I didn't think Mcnair had that good of a season in 2003. Manning doesn't surprise me, he probably had a huge year and usually QB's get the award. This year only Brady had that kind of year and I don't think he will get it right now.

jjwr
    While Alexander's team was 13-3 and the #1 seed don't forget their weak schedule, this was a playoff team with or without him. The difference to me is with him they are a Superbowl contender, without him another 1 and done.

8 Coaches, 1/4 of the league fired....incredible!

And Gregg Williams who was being talked about for a few jobs was just locked up for 8M over 3 years by washington...for a D cordinator.

I am not sure if they would have made the playoffs without Alexander, their back up rb isn't that good and most of the WRS went down half way through the season. I think they would have finished 8-8 or something without Alexander. And those 8 coaches being fired you aren't counting Vermiel right?

JMK
    Tice, Turner, Sherman, Capers, Haslett, Martz have been fired. I can't think of anyone else at the moment. Vermeil retired and Mooch was canned way back at Thanksgiving. That's the 8 coaching spots open now. There's an Edwards watch going on too. Geez, are there any any others that could be on the way out?

Who knows what the hell Parcells is going to do, but Dallas is a possible opening. I think if Marty misses the playoffs again next year he's gone. Mike Mularkey might be on the hot seat in Buffalo also.

JMK
    What about Billick? He's certainly got to be in the conversation of guys on the bubble if next year's team isn't a contending one.

Eventually Fisher will be shown the door as well. Mora in Atlanta will be on the hot seat next season if the Falcons don't turn it around in a big way.

Everyone else seems to be on solid ground, at least through next season. But we all know how quickly things can change in the NFL.

jjwr
    I can't believe the Titans would let Fisher go but you never know.

Billick is definetly coaching for his job next year, odds are so is Mularky.

Mora is a interesting situation. What the Falcons really need to do is make sure they don't blow the Vick years. There is still 3-4 years left of Vick being a top flight Athlete and they need to use it, after that he will be slowing down and getting older and then what?

SW-Fans.Net Poster

Billick was reassured of his job a couple weeks ago. Alexander is going to win the MVP award because nobody else had the numbers and an RB is due at MVP. If he doesnt win it, it will be heresy.

SW-Fans.Net Poster

The only team to finish in both the top 10 in total offense and defense in the 2005 season is ... the Arizona Cardinals.

And they are what, 5-11?

Page 1 of 13 123411 ... LastLast