Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 916171819

Thread: MLB Playoffs - 05/06 offseason

JMK
    The only serious thing I heard was Tejada for Manny. That would be the only acceptable trade that both teams could live with. Swapping MVP candidates isn't such a bad thing for either side, but apparently the Orioles passed on it. Tejada as a Red Sox would provide a big bat and a great short stop - fill 2 needs with one player. But you're right, what the hell would Manny do in Baltimore? He'd lose it.

jjwr
    The problem is the Orioles wanted Manny + Two Pitchers and thats totally unreasonable.

JMK
    The Orioles wanted pitching? What for?

Yeah, that's too much to ask. It's almost extortion. They know the Sox want to move Manny and tried to get more than they deserved.

I really can't understand they Yankees, they lost 100 million this season and 70 last year, I guess they want to lose 150 next year (this is from ESPN) at this rate in 5 years the team will be bankrupt, which is fine with me Really I don't care, I don't see the Yankees going anywhere they have no pitching. I think it will be the White Sox and Angels again in the ALCS.

After signing Damon the Yankees payroll has actually gone DOWN. Right now they're around $30M below their 2005 salary. A lot of dead money got lost. I'm pretty sure the disaster that was Kevin Brown is finally gone and off the payroll. Plus, Bernie is now more than $10M cheaper. I'm not sure, but I think that's around $25M in payroll right there.

They are still over the luxury tax cap by a good 30-50 million. Next season they will pay a 50% rate. If they stay over for the next five years they will eventually pay 100%, so unless Donald Trump dies and gives Steinbrenner his money I think they are in some trouble down the road.

I have no idea where these salaries are going. The payroll margin between the Sox and Yankees is going to close a bit next year. They BOTH had to pay the luxury tax this season. The Sox really blew it with Damon. For goodness sakes, Furcal just got $39M for only 3 years. Whoever's in charge of the beantown front office right just didn't get the job done. Now they're going to have to scramble to get a CF now and they may end up paying more than they would have for Damon. The Yankees also poached the Sox bullpen. They signed Mike Myers to help solidify the bullpen and make up for the loss of Flash Gordon.

Myers isn't that good, he is average at best. I think Boston is going after that CF from Seattle I forget his name but he is a young kid who has a lot of upside. Of course I don't like where Boston's payroll is going. Look at the White Sox they are paying half of what those teams are paying and they to me have a better team, at the moment. Shoot right now I think they can repeat next year with the team they got.

JMK
    The White Sox can definetly improve. How do you improve on a great season and World Series title? I don't know, but on paper they look better now than they did a year ago.

CF Johnny Damon
    SS Derek Jeter
    RF Gary Sheffield
    3B Alex Rodriguez
    1B Jason Giambi
    LF Hideki Matsui
    C Jorge Posada
    DH Bernie Williams
    2B Robinson Cano

I may have to finally break down and get the YES Network. That damn lineup is a thing of beauty. Damon and Jeter are going to make pitchers work. Hell, Jeter actually had BETTER numbers as a leadoff hitter last year than Damon. Shef and A-Rod are each going to have a chance at 120-150 RBI's. Then pitchers are going to have to sweat through two lefties and that short porch in right field. I like the idea of having Giambi hit in front of Matsui because Giambi still has a good eye and knows how to work the count and draw walks. Even when he was slumping miserably last year he could still get on base with a walk. Matsui is clutch with men on base so he's headed for another 100 RBI season. Then comes a bottom of the order that not only has some pop, but speed. With Cano you basically have back to back to back lead off hitters for Shef and A-Rod to work with their second time through the order. And don't discount what a healthy Bernie Williams might be able to do if he doesn't have to play the outfield on a daily basis. His numbers just may be able to improve from last year.

Man, this is going to be fun to watch.

JMK
    So the Yankees will be losing a lot of 9-8 games then?

A guy I know BURNED his $150 Damon jersey last night he was that upset.

jjwr
    Thats about my summation of the Yankee's prospects JMK

Hear the Yanks had to pay $34 Mil in Luxury tax this year? Ouch!

Yeah it gets higher for them every year. I think that and the fact they revalued the Yes Network and the Yankees own them millions, those two things will bankrupt Steinbrenner sooner or later.

Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 916171819