Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Kevin Smith on ROTS and Other Reviews

JediBoricua
    The anti-bush thing is something I'm seeing across the board.

Most of the reviewers get it from a line by Obi Wan that goes something like "Absolutes truths is sith talk"

I'm just getting ready to pour over the reviews at RT. I think it's clear that ROTS is going to fair much better with critics that TPM and AOTC. Most of the reviews so far seem to have a common thread, this is what fans have been waiting for, it's an improvement over the last two. Regardless of what you think of critics, I think it's a good sign that ROTS is faring better than the last 2 prequels. It's just an example of a movie viewing segment that ROTS has won over. It certainly is encouraging.

JMK
    Agreed. Since 1999 it's been en vogue to bash Star Wars. A very vocal minority has given the prequels thus far a pretty bad reputation, deserved or not. The fact that RotS seems to be converting all the naysayers once again is very very encouraging.

One really bad review up by somebody from the Film Freak something. I discount him though. I went back on his earlier reviews and he gave ROTK about the same review and he hated Shrek 2, those two movies topped the box office the last two years.

JediBoricua
    He also gave AOTC half a star. He is giving ROTS 2 stars, so I guess it's an improvement!

LOL true, He gave Shrek 2 one star, which I can't believe. Also he didn't really like any of the LOTR movies and he disliked ROTK the most, I think he called it uneven, whatever he doesn't sound like a good critic to me.

JMK
    This guy sounds like he's a critic who's trying to make a name for himself by being extremely contrary to popular consensus.

I think you are right anybody who dislikes movies that make a lot of money usually are doing that. It is funny though he gave Spiderman 2 and Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban each 4 stars, maybe he is just inconsistent.

SW-Fans.Net Poster

I might return to RPing if those scrumptious Gue twins would come back. Figrin Sandwich, am I right?
    Has been a member for 5 years or longer

Berardinelli put up his review on his website:

http://movie-reviews.colossus.net/movies/s/sw2005.html

It's overwhelmingly positive. He did, however, give positive reviews to both TMP and AOTC as well, so people whom didn't like the first two might think his opinion is skewed.

Newsweek has a review up
    http://msnbc.msn.com/id/7773581/site/newsweek/

I call it a postive review for Ansen since he has bashed the last three Star Wars movie pretty heavily.

General Ceel
    So far at RottenTomatoes:

Reviews counted: 14
    Fresh: 12 Rotten: 2
    Average Rating: 7.5/10

Its still early, but the film sure is off to a good start.

I have a pretty good collection of reviews taken from around the net started at another board if you want to see them all in one place without having to click through a dozen sites: http://p089.ezboard.com/fthegunganco...cID=1104.topic

TheHolo.Net Admin

DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Christin
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: W4BSY Steam ID: ApexLupine
    Originally posted by Jedi Master Carr
    LOL true, He gave Shrek 2 one star, which I can't believe. Also he didn't really like any of the LOTR movies and he disliked ROTK the most, I think he called it uneven, whatever he doesn't sound like a good critic to me.
    Yeah well, he gave The Sandlot 1 star. 1 star!! That movie is a childhood classic for me, I don't care what he says.

TheHolo.Net Poster

AKA
    Charley
    Originally posted by s'Ilancy
    Yeah well, he gave The Sandlot 1 star. 1 star!! That movie is a childhood classic for me, I don't care what he says.
    What? Take him behind a woodshed and shoot him. No taste in movies at all...

JediBoricua
    A quote from Berardinelli:

"How many people, I wonder, will return from seeing Revenge of the Sith and immediately pop A New Hope into the DVD player".

Many fans in TF.net have said this, now i know why George released the DVD's last year!!!!!!

16 reviews and it's at 88% Fresh. I think we're going to end up over 80% when it's all said and done.

JediBoricua
    Ebert and Roeper where on ET.

Roeper said it was on par with ESB, a huge thumbs up.

Ebert was going to give it a marginal thumbs down. I think he still has a grudge with digital filmaking...

Actually that has been debunked. Several people on theforce.net wated the ET weekends the guy from RottenTomatoes forum said it was on and they didn't see this review at all. I think this is some troll trying to get the Star Wars fans upset.

General Ceel
    The speed at which rumors spread through the star wars community is astounding, lol

Shawn
    Originally posted by Jedi Master Carr
    LOL true, He gave Shrek 2 one star, which I can't believe.
    I hated Shrek 2. Where the first movie felt like a parody of classic fairytales, the second movie felt like a disjointed mockery of pop culture, and I don't think the movie is going to hold up so well in, say, 10 years. [/tangent]

I strongly disliked TPM. I really enjoyed AOTC but I felt like it had a few weak spots, largely because Lucas has no grasp on the concept of subtlety. Thankfully, I don't think that's going to be an issue with ROTS.

TheHolo.Net Poster

AKA
    Charley
    I was ambivalent about TPM, but I really enjoyed AotC. I found all the backlash against it pretty bizarre. When I watch it now, the only real part that makes me groan is the fireplace scene.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast