Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best Band of the Year?

SW-Fans.Net Poster
    Summer Box Office Contest 2008 - Winner!
    Try the root stew, you will. Taste good, it does.
    DragonCon 09
    Has been a member for 5 years or longer

The trouble with chosing a band of the year there is so little innovation and so much recycling of concepts known to sell well. I personally enjoy looking for totally unknown indie bands which on technical, artistic and aesthetic levels often superseed the giant multi million dollar studio productions. The high profiled bands and chart busters play like 10 times a day on the radio or MTV until I get really sick of it. It becomes more about marketing, image and budget rather than musical talent. The average consumer usually dont know better, so they they rush out to buy the recycled stuff like womprats on crack while the small releases dont even register on the crowds radar.

Of course, before you all throw rotten tomatoes at me, Im not talking about the bands mentioned above, I am talking about the music industry in general. I listened to these bands, and they generally make some really high quality music

Anyway, I cant really say with confidence which band was the best this year. So I might as well pick a Norwegian artist: Sondre Lerche. His album Two Way Monologue is worth checking out.

Phantom
    Audioslave or Slipknot. I would say Metallica, but their last album sucked the south side of my left ... I meant it was really bad.

JMK
    Yeah, St. Anger just reeks of poor recording quality, but they could get my vote for band of the year because of their live show. I've been to close to 200 live shows in my life, and when I saw Metallica for the first time this past October, they absolutely blew me away. Best show I've seen in my life by far. And generally I don't like arena shows with pyrotecnics and I left with a hanging jaw.

I also liked Kelt's nom of Green Day. In other years I'd laugh at Green Day as band of the year. I've always been a big fan of theirs, but their new cd is just great.

I don't pay attention to any bands that have emerged in the past 5 years or so. To me they all suck. They're all cookie cutter groups that have no staying power and are way more style than substance.

SW-Fans.Net Poster

I... am... CHRISTMAS!

Well its got to be Busted for me.

Sarr Koon
    Disturbed...

SW-Fans.Net Poster

I... am... CHRISTMAS!

No I'm not. I was actually joking.

TheHolo.Net Poster

AKA
    Charley
    I really don't listen to new music anymore. Its mostly crap these days.

That being said, I've given Shinedown and Velvet Revolver a stay of execution lately.

SW-Fans.Net Poster

I... am... CHRISTMAS!

I really like Velvet Revolver (especially 'Sucker Train Blues'). Dunno about best band though. Young Heart Attack are really good too.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12