Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anne Rice fans rejoice!

SW-Fans.Net Poster

I... am... CHRISTMAS!
    Has been a member for 5 years or longer

Anne Rice fans rejoice!

http://www.annerice.com/msg092604b.htm

The important part in that article:

'Let me report that the musical, the Vampire Lestat, with the score by Elton John and the lyrics by Bernie Taupin, and a whole group of splendid people is coming along magically, providing all kinds of lessons to me as I am in daily email contact with one of the top bosses, whom I have come to totally love. '

Thats Anne Rice's own words. I doubt when completed and running the show will reach Liverpool, but I'd be willing to travel down to London to see the show should it make its way across the pond.

TheHolo.Net Admin

Baroness Scorpion #2
    Lesbian Overlord of SWFans

DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Jenny
    I've got a bad feeling about this

I'd much rather watch Cannibal the Musical

SW-Fans.Net Admin

Good but Damaged Goods

DragonCon 09
    My heart is as full as a baked potato!

Voting no to vamp musicals.

Gav Mortis
    It does sound lame.

SW-Fans.Net Poster

Skiing the slippery slopes

Originally posted by Morgan Evanar
    My heart is as full as a baked potato!

Voting no to vamp musicals.

Shoot me before I assimilate any more information on this travesty of humanity.

SW-Fans.Net Poster

I... am... CHRISTMAS!

http://www.playbill.com/news/article/82554.html

A little more info on the actual musical in the link above. To be honest, I think it has real potential - everything's down to opinion in the end. I'll wait and see how it turns out rather than reinact my pre-AvP behaviour.

Sejah Haversh
    You mean she can't just stick to polluting the literary world with tripe, now she has to assault the performing arts, too?

TheHolo.Net Admin

Baroness Scorpion #2

DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Jenny
    Originally posted by Peter McCoy
    http://www.playbill.com/news/article/82554.html

A little more info on the actual musical in the link above. To be honest, I think it has real potential - everything's down to opinion in the end. I'll wait and see how it turns out rather than reinact my pre-AvP behaviour.
    So, just to clarify... which book is the musical based on?

Loki Ahmrah
    The Vampire Lestat

TheHolo.Net Admin

Baroness Scorpion #2

DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Jenny
    My least favorite of the books

Shawn
    That's my favorite of her books, actually. Still not interested in a musical, though. Also, after that whole amazon.com debacle, I don't think I'll ever be sending money her way again. It was completely unprofessional for her to insult her readers like she did.

Loki Ahmrah
    What did she do?

Shawn
    Here's a link to the enormous rant she posted on Amazon.com, abusing the reader reviews section so she could trash people who posted negative reviews of her latest book, Blood Canticle.

There's some foul language contained in the link, so be warned.

Loki Ahmrah
    Unprofessional, definately.

Nevertheless, there are stupid readers out there with narrow-minded, occassionally blind views who will be prepared to post complete, unfounded crap about a novel because they didn't like or couldn't understand it. Yes, everyone is more than entitled to their opinion but not everyones opinion is worth the words it uses up.

I'm not a reader of her novels and I haven't read any of her reviews on Amazon but I can sympthise, I think. While what she has done is very, very ill-advised, I have to admire her for being so bold.

There is a counter argument, I would like to add against her favour. One of the best recent pieces of advice I've been given about writing is: "Your reader is very intelligent, don't insult that intelligence."

She has either failed as a writer and written poorly or expects the readers to only see the novel from her perspective which is, conversly, very narrow-minded of her.

There are a lot of stupid readers out there, millions of them are on the internet everyday, but maybe one of them is Anne Rice.

I'm not sure what to think, really.

Shawn
    Originally posted by Loki Ahmrah
    I'm not a reader of her novels and I haven't read any of her reviews on Amazon but I can sympthise, I think. While what she has done is very, very ill-advised, I have to admire her for being so bold.
    I think everyone can sympathize. However, there will always be at least a few people who post outrageously negative reviews. As a professional, you have to expect this. Lashing out like she did is a very big taboo; It won't serve to convince anyone that she's some literary genius and everyone else is too stupid to understand her book - it will only serve to raise animosity between herself and her readers.

At the time she posted that, the overwhelming majority of the reader reviews were very negative, so it's a very real possibility that the book simply wasn't very good (or would at least be considered that way by most readers). Thus, it's downright insulting to criticize someone for using Amazon's reader review section exactly how it was intended.

Neil Gaiman had this to say on the subject:
    I think Anne Rice going on Amazon and lambasting her critics was undoubtedly a very brave and satisfying thing for her to do, was every bit as sensible as kicking a tar baby, and, if ever I do something like that, please shoot me.

TheHolo.Net Admin
    OG Forum Overlord

AKA
    Holly
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Lilaena Steam ID: jainhollie
    ..wait, Anne Rice has fans?? O_o

TheHolo.Net Admin

Baroness Scorpion #2

DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Jenny
    Originally posted by Lilaena De'Ville
    ..wait, Anne Rice has fans?? O_o
    Anne Rice is a nutcase, but I am a fan of what I have read from the Vampire Chronicles and Mayfair Witches series'

TheHolo.Net Admin
    OG Forum Overlord

AKA
    Holly
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Lilaena Steam ID: jainhollie
    I was just kidding. I've never read any of her books, but one of the gals here at work has read just about every single one and loves 'em.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast