Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: College Football

Originally posted by Figrin D'an
    Considering that both Miami and FSU have consistency problems on offense, I wouldn't be at all surprised if the ACC is won by Maryland. They have a reasonably good schedule, and Ralph Friedgen's teams have a tendancy to overachieve. How they do this Saturday against W. Virginia should be a good indicator.
    If last year's game was any indication, I'm picking WV on the spread at the very least.

No gigantic upsets today, but some terrific games. West Virginia beats a solid Maryland squad. Notre Dame shows last week wasn't a fluke. Michigan rebounds in a squeaker. Okalhoma looks solid. Texas A&M may have turned the corner under Coach Fran. UCLA wins an absolute nailbiter against Washington. Best game of the day was probably LSU/Auburn.

North Texas was thrashed by Colorado 52-21. The positive...our freshman running back put up nearly 250 yards against their defense. I think we have a gem in our midst.

Of course there were other games today, but those were the ones that I either watched parts of, or jumped out at me for one reason of another. Tennessee/Florida are nearing the fourth quarter as I type. The day isn't done by any stretch.

South Carolina edged out USF 34-3 today. Lucky bastards.

Clemson sucks, how could they not beat Texas A&M? This looks like a disapointing year, right now for them. The sad thing this will open up the people who want to fire Bowden again.

SW-Fans.Net Poster

Colander on the head... check. Ferrets... check. Imperial insignia... check. Pants... well, three out of four ain't bad!
    Has been a member for 5 years or longer

Originally posted by CMJ
    West Virginia beats a solid Maryland squad.
    Solid? Maryland? West Virginia was not good. Maryland had 5 turnovers and managed to take it to OT. It should have been a blowout.

Originally posted by Jedi Master Carr
    Clemson sucks, how could they not beat Texas A&M?
    Kyle Field is typically one of the hardest places to win on the road. I think Coach Franchione is turning the Aggies around. It's not a bad loss at all dude.

Solid? Maryland? West Virginia was not good. Maryland had 5 turnovers and managed to take it to OT. It should have been a blowout
    If you didn't notice Maryland was ranked kinda high - and has been good the past few seasons. So yeah, they're more than solid bro. West Virginia has a fairly easy schedule remaining, they could go undefeated.

Well I guess in that way but still the QB has looked awful the first three games. I am now beginning to wonder how good he actually is.

SW-Fans.Net Poster

I might return to RPing if those scrumptious Gue twins would come back. Figrin Sandwich, am I right?

Entertaining day of games overall. Florida/Tennessee was quite a game, as was LSU/Auburn and Maryland/West Virginia. Several close calls for some top teams... Georgia looked very pedestrian against Marshall; Ohio State needed their kicker, Mike "Don't call me Ted" Nugent to do most of the scoring for them; Michigan escaped barely (so freakin' overrated...); Wisconsin needed a late rally to get past Arizona. I was surprised that Iowa got beaten so badly... they were terrible against Arizona State.

My favorite part of the day was how, the span of one week, Notre Dame went from a terrible football team to a potential 9-win squad in the eyes of many analysts. Please... they beat an overrated Michigan team lead by a true freshman quarterback with no running game for support, and today they beat a below average Spartan team in East Lansing (and not by much... they almost blew it late in the game after having a big lead). Let's see how well they fair against the likes of USC, Tennessee, Boston College and Purdue. I would love nothing more than see the Boilermaker Express roll into South Bend in two weeks and drop half-a-hundred on those schmucks.

But, first things first. Illinois next weekend, then the Irish.

Cyrel Annat
    I was surprised that Iowa got beaten so badly... they were terrible against Arizona State.
    Don't get me started. With my work schedule, that will likely be the only game that I will see of them this year and they looked like butt. Recievers dropping wide-open passes and their secondary made Andrew Walter look great. Granted, Walter is a solid QB - having set the ASU record last night for career touchdowns. They were looking for revenge from last year's game here in Iowa City and they certainly got it. Iowa better recover from that though when it's a trouncing of biblical proportions, there's not just one or two fingers that can be pointed. At least the Big Ten doesn't look like the veritable powerhouse that it usually does so Iowa should still have a chance at the title, though it'll be a long road to get it. Drew Tate will be good but he needs more experience, much more experience and receivers that are actually going to try to catch the football - not just fall down and drop it.

Croyle's out for the season.

We can't seem to keep him healthy...ever.

Well, we're locked in a deathmatch with the Razorbacks right now. 10-14 at the half. I'm shocked that we're essentially controlling the momentum, even if we're losing at the moment. We're playing physical football, and even though Gillum has made a few newbie mistakes, he's looking relatively sharp in his debut. If our ball handlers will just keep their damn mitts on the football, we can keep stupid turnovers at a minimum. The pigs are really really good at throwing a paw into the mix to cause a fumble.

As a side note: if Brandon Brooks doesn't start fair catching punts, I'm going to shoot his mother and skin his dog. For serious.

SW-Fans.Net Poster

I might return to RPing if those scrumptious Gue twins would come back. Figrin Sandwich, am I right?

Originally posted by Charley
    As a side note: if Brandon Brooks doesn't start fair catching punts, I'm going to shoot his mother and skin his dog. For serious.
    Well, he'll learn eventually or he'll probably find himself parked on the bench. Good returners have to know how to pick their spots.

Purdue beat Illinois 38-30 today. Offense was spectacular yet again... Orton added 4 more TD passes and a rushing TD to his season total... the run defense was non-existent, though. Terrible tackling. I'm hoping this was just rust from having a week off, and that they got it out of they system today. Certainly can't play like that in South Bend next week and expect to win, even with the offense rolling. Still, a win is a win.

Bring on those Irish punks... time for the Boilermaker Express to run 'em over.

Yeah, I saw the Purdue highlights. You guys are gonna have a fantastic season if you can tie up the loose ends.

Anyway, this game's just about over. Guess we just couldn't maintain the intensity. 20-10 loss to the pigs

Its not a bad look at the team, and we knew Arkansas was gonna be tough. Its really our first true contender of the season. If we make this a learning experience, I think we can play with anybody. If not...we've got a long season ahead of us, because we're gonna play some real bruisers later in the season.

EDIT: 27-10 DAMMIT

USF beat TCU in OT 45-44!!!!!
    But Army got pasted by Connecticut. Doesn't matter though, only 1 game on the schedule means anything......

On another down note, Baylor beat North Texas. Obviously, they CHEATED!

Originally posted by Jedieb
    On another down note, Baylor beat North Texas. Obviously, they CHEATED!
    Our losses on defense from last year seem to have affected us more than I figured they would. It's gonna be a rough season it appears. The NT fanbase is calling for Coach Dickey's head already. The 3 time conference coach of the year and folks are ready to give him the axe.

Morons.

Darth Vader
    Originally posted by CMJ
    Our losses on defense from last year seem to have affected us more than I figured they would. It's gonna be a rough season it appears. The NT fanbase is calling for Coach Dickey's head already. The 3 time conference coach of the year and folks are ready to give him the axe.

Morons.
    BUT THAT THAR COACH JIST LAWST US UH BAWL GAME!

I hate fairweather redneck football fans, and wish they would get AIDS.

Originally posted by Darth Vader
    BUT THAT THAR COACH JIST LAWST US UH BAWL GAME!
    Well, we are off to a stellar 0-4 start, but if anyone should be given some slack it's Coach Dickey. We hadn't won a Bowl Game in like 50+ years before the 2002 season.

I hate them too.

SW-Fans.Net Poster

As do I. It's interesting how every conference/region seems to have at least one fanbase that predominently behaves like this. In Big Ten land, they're called "Michigan Fans."

SW-Fans.Net Poster

I know Kung Fu, and orifices

AKA
    Charley
    I am ashamed to say that about 40% of Alabama's fan base are these kind of people. That being said, the SEC is rife with a biblical plague of them, scattered heavily in every team in the conference except for Vanderbilt.

Which brings me to another point entirely...why the hell is Vandy still in our conference? Does every family need at least one waterhead that lives in the attic and eats fish heads? Why do we keep teams that suck and lose to Navy?

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast