Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: In The Hall of The Ravenwing

Arya turned around, tossing the broken glass aside and joining the others back in the main hall. Lok had cleaned the surface of it, revealing the faces on the overlarge canvas.

Hands on hips, the smuggler looked up at her ancestors -- the woman clearly resembled her.

"I don't see it," Arya grunted, but she winked at Dietre. "That room," she jerked her thumb over her shoulder, "is a loss. It's probably too much to assume the rest of the house is any better. I'd imagine anything with an outside window has been compromised."

Twopio finally tottered up, and Arya put an arm around the droid's blue shoulders. "Get to recording, Bluebell."

"I -- well, of course I have been this entire time Captain Arya. Captain Arya!"

She was already stalking away up the main hallway in search of an inner room that might be better preserved than the 'sun room' she'd already discovered.

There is a curse.
    They say: May you live in interesting times.

"You do thiss everry time!"

The large Cizerack bellowed loudly between strained breaths as he pushed the two doors apart with his arms and pressed the stuck droid forward with a knee. Finally the blue protocol droid popped free; and naturally he immediately lost his balanced and teetered along after the others eventually catching his step. It took a few moments longer for him to clear the door with his wide frame. When he finally emerged he was greeted by the sight of a dilapidated structure that looked less spooky on the inside than outside. Which surprised him greatly.

"Oh, wow. Not sso bad." He exclaimed as sincerely as he could to hide the sarcasm, even as he stepped into the center of the hall, letting his voice rise to echo off the walls and fill the empty space. "I'll jusst get my toolss out of the sship. We'll have herr fixed up in no time."

TheHolo.Net Poster

Has been a member for 5 years or longer Q. Samus Dage's Avatar
    AKA
    Christin
    Coming out from behind the broad-shouldered Cizerack, Samus had taken in the interior as well. It was certainly in need of repair, but there were still spots that seemed to have survived the ravages of time and abandonment. The aesthetic was different, and yet slightly the same as that of the Captain's home, and he supposed that it was because the two women were both Lupines.

He only knew a little of them, which he supposed was strange despite his long friendship with Loklorien. But, she'd only recently begun talking of her people with him, so his education was still in a stage of catching up.

"Not a bad place to call home," he mused.

Muscling his way past the blonde man, Dietre moved to stand beside Jaassuuvi. With a grunt, the Luthgarde took in everything around him.

"You will be of the needing for more than the simple tools you have on the ship," he grumbled.

His eyes went to Arya then, and he started off after her. For the time being, he ignored the obvious fact that she looked as though she could be her ancestor. He would bring this up later. Passing by the Losstarot, he continued on.

"Ravenwing," he barked, "... show respect for those who came before you."

Arya stopped in her tracks, and after a moment spun slowly around to face Dietre.

"What did you say?"

He matched her look with his own steely gaze. The resolute grimace he now held was something that held patience, and yet firmness.

"Dose two," he gestured to the painting, and the Mastersire and his Lady.

"Dey are beink of you. Your family. Even for not knowink dem or meetink dem, dey are you."

His emphasis on the last word spoken was punctuated with a forceful gesture of his finger to the dusty, tile-chipped floor.

"You are wishink to have de knowink of your family, and dat also means dat you know all of us, and what we are holdink dear to de hearts."

Once more his hand came up, a finger extended to point at the Lady Mistra.

"Dem... she... deserves for to be remembered."

Tensions were on the rise again. That seemed to be happening a lot. As much as he wanted to keep his nose out of it he wasn't about to stand idly by and let his friends fight. Again. All this Lupine nonsense was going right over his head and seemed to be constantly flaring up between the three of them. All of this was starting to make the socio-political landscape seem tame by comparison. However, much like the latter he was hardly in any position to comment on the former, other than from a sort of observation position. Instead he just did was he always did, put himself close by in case he was needed.

There just happened to be an absolutely fascinating bit of moldy fresco right next to where Deitre was standing, and while his eyes looked without seeing, he kept his ears open in case he needed to step in between all these hotheads.

Lupines. Never again.

Arya closed her eyes, took a deep breath, and opened them again. "I fail to see how I have disrespected them, Luthgarde. However, if you want me to bow and worship at a picture, then you're going to be disappointed."

She tried not to glare at him, but her eyes were definitely sharp.

TheHolo.Net Admin

DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Christin
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: W4BSY Steam ID: ApexLupine
    She ignored the two for the time being, focusing on only the picture.

There was a gentleness to her gaze, as she reached up to brush away the years of dust and dirt. The frame itself still gleamed beneath the sheen of grime that covered it.

The Mastersire and his Lady were a handsome couple, and whoever the painter had been, had masterfully conveyed the heart of the two. They looked out from their canvas home, to the room beyond with calm and serene eyes. If only they could truly see the state of disrepair that their home had fallen to. That all of their homes had fallen to.

Her hand paused, then pressed lightly into the old and worn canvas.

"A'saria sie gar," she breathed out in a whisper before eventually pulling away.

A long exhale, and she finally turned away. There were lines of disappointment etched into her expression.

"It is not about bowing or worshiping," her voice was low and level.

"It is about showing a modicum of respect. You asked me to tell you everything about our people, and acknowledgment of our ancestors is a large part of it."

For a moment she paused, then turned away, starting for the door.

"I think it best that I remain outside," came her final words.

“Maybe you should,” was out of her mouth before she could stop it. Yeah, maybe she could have looked more closely at the picture in the moment, but being called on the carpet as being disrespectful, like she was a small child, was simply too much.

Arya wanted to know more about her heritage, but she had planned on a full exploration of the house first, with contemptation over the relevant surviving bits later. Not that either of the self-righteous Lupines barking at her seemed to care what Arya’s process might be.

Arya tightened her hands into fists until her fingernails cut half-moon indentations into her palms, her anger building. “They’re my ancestors and I will respect them and remember them on my terms. And when I’m fucking dead, if I have ancestors they’ll have the same choice in how they remember me.”

She looked past Dietre to Jaas. “You coming? I want to map it out so I know where to study, later.”
    Last edited by Arya Ravenwing; Oct 3rd, 2019 at 03:56:39 PM.

TheHolo.Net Admin

DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Christin
    Gamer IDs

She had tried to be understanding, and her attempts were flung back in her face. Shoulders slumping a slight bit, s'Il dipped her head for just a moment before turning back to Arya.

"Be careful, Cousin. If you continue to see everything as an attack against you, and keep biting the hands that try to help you, then those hands will not be about when you truly need them."

Above, safely ensconced in one of the many rafters above, a pair of eyes glittered like cave jewels as they stared down at the strangers. Invaders. Opportunists, no doubt looking for something valuable to pilfer. They were not like the white ghosts that had - many decades ago - combed through these halls. His grandfather had told him stories of those times, when all of the Wystra hid for fear of the hairless, white men. The stories of their angry words and impatience, and of their strange need to find the old Two-Bodies that had once lived here. It was a fool's errand back then, as the Two-Bodies had all left, and the ones who had stayed... well, they had returned to the dirt, never to stand or change themselves ever again.

The eyes blinked in the upper darkness, listening to the strange words spoken; some were familiar, but others were most certainly not.

"Rright behind you, Captain."

Normally he would appreciate a little silence, but the hot words between those gathered had left a burning hole in the air that was uncomfortable to leave open; and he filled it as quickly as he could like a healer stuffing poultice into an open wound. Adjusting the shoulder strap on his blaster he turned away from Deitre and moved over to stand with Arya.

"I think I have ssome flimssi herre ssomewherre." Holding his blaster strap in place with one hand he dug into his pocket, then switched hand and dug in the other and pulled out a slip of folded up flimsi and a pen that was heavily chewed on. Sticking his tongue out the side of his mouth he began to trace the shape of the entrance way on the piece of flimsi, noting the doorways into side rooms. Hopefully this place wasn't too big. He was already running out of flimsi.

The heat was already draining out of Arya, leaving her feeling like a deflated balloon. Jaas had a quiet way of backing her up that almost always calmed her.

However, if any one thought they were going to get an apology they had another thing coming.

She turned in a slow circle, unable to pick up her train of thought from before the argument. “I want to check up the stairs, do some scans of the structure, see if it’s going to fall on our heads.”

TheHolo.Net Admin

DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Christin
    Gamer IDs

She had stepped outside, through the grand doorway entrance to stand in the sunlight.

Birds sounded from perches in trees, and insects could be heard singing their chorus of clicks, buzzes, and scratchy rasps. It was life on what most would consider a lifeless world, as sentient inhabitants were... scarce. At least, it seemed as such.

Moving to a small stone wall that was crumbling in some places, the Lupine slowly lowered herself to sit. She let out a long breath of air, then inhaled once more to bring in the scents that seemed so heady and pure.

A pause, and her body grew still.

There was a different smell to the air now, and s'Il tried to pick it apart from the rest. It was of a body, but not belonging to anyone in their small group. No, this was something else. Something almost wild. It was intriguing, and for a brief moment she considered going back inside, but in the back of her mind she knew that that would most likely be an ill-advised idea. And so instead, she simply remained sitting, once more bringing in a deep lungful of air in the hopes of further trying to pinpoint exactly she was detecting.

The group had split up. Two had gone deeper into the hall, one had left, and the fourth simply stayed where he was. He looked disturbed. But, it wasn't the straggler that he was concerned over. The two that had chosen to further their explorations were the ones who posed the most risk. The chance that the small tribe living in the upper remaining portions of the large manor were discovered was high now, and with one hand grasping his hunting spear, the Wystra vanished back into the full coverage offered by the shadows.

Tauss would no doubt be outside, since he had gone hunting earlier in the morning. But the rest were still safe within the confines of the old structure, their small enclave a haven.

But now there was danger, in the form of invaders, and Fenriss wove his way through the shadows to follow the two who continued to trek deeper into the manor.

For a few minutes longer he stood, staring up at the age-old painting still reverently hung on the wall. The depiction of the Ravenwing matriarch was a thing of beauty, and the sire himself, beside her, was a study in steadfast strength.

Another few moments passed, and Dietre finally let out a long, slow breath. The Losstarot had left, returning through the doors that they'd all so previously come through while Arya and Jaas continued deeper into the manor.

Clouds darkened his expression, as his thoughts seemed to become conflicted, but it wasn't long before he finally turned away. A murmured string of words were sent to the painting, and he slowly started in the direction that Arya and Jaas had gone.

"jI'm amazed thjiss place jiss sstjill sstandjing. jYourr ancesstorrss musst have been good arrchaeologjisstss."

The place was getting a little less threatening and more... sad, instead. There were shadows of it's past everywhere you looked, but a lot of was gone and reduced to soggy rubble piles. Jaas was becoming less afraid of ghouls and zombies and more frightened by the idea of the ceiling suddenly caving in on them. The mess was making navigating hard and his map was already devolving into crisscrossing lines that overlapped each other and made the whole thing unreadable to any but the author himself.

"Gotta be ssome sstajirrss arround herre ssomewherre."

"Sure, stairs." Arya turned a corner and came to a door that was stuck shut. She testily jiggled the handle, and it came off in her hand. "You would have thought there was a grand staircase here somewhere, but perhaps that wasn't the style."

She carefully placed the doorknob on the ground as Twopio turned about in place, his oculars glowing. "Captain Arya, there are indications that--"

"Shut up, Twopio." Arya walked past the stuck door and Jaas pushed aside a mass of vines to reveal a set of narrow stairs. "Ah ha! Well, what do you think? Up, or down?"

She wasn't going to be the perfect Lupine that Lok and Deitre were wanting. Make one joke around those solemn two and she was torn apart as if she'd spit in their faces. Her irritation grew again as she thought about it, and with a grunt she chose the stairs leading down. The floors they were standing on seemed solid enough, so she wasn't afraid of them falling in on them. Up above, however, seemed to be a little shakier. Time to explore them later.

Her light split the darkness as she descended, and after a moment she heard Jaas' footsteps on the stairs behind her.

Down seemed a much better option, as stepping into the dark bowels of the place would bring him that much closer to Traanjirra, not that he mentioned this to his other companions. They would not understand and would think strangely of him for it. Regardless, he was committed to following his Captain, even if that was into a dank basement that was probably full of spiders and other creepy crawlies. He would be brave, for Kai.

Tightening his bowcaster strap on his shoulder he stepped in after Arya, leveraging his own light to better pierce the darkness. Checking over his shoulder, he saw only the eerie glowing eyes of Twopio's eyes staring back. Turning back his light illuminated the sort of thing you expected in the lower levels of a house. Broken storage containers, puddles of liquid, and piles of refuse. Arya was just ahead, forging her own way through the mess. It was quieter down here, with a closer ceiling that felt a lot less likely to cave in on them.

"jIt's not mjy place to assk, Captajin. Arre jyou dojing alrrjight? Thjiss hass to be a lot to take jin."

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast